Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23825 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Where does the "Darkseid War" fit into the Batman continuity?

SabbTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SabbTech

Hello! This is my first post on Comic Vine, and this question has been bugging me for quite some time; Where does the "Darkseid War" fit into the Batman Continuity.

If you haven't been following the Justice League New 52 run written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Jason Fabok, the Justice League is trying to prevent an all out war between Darkseid and the Anti Monitor. In recent issues of this Darkseid War, Bruce Wayne aka Batman has became Bat-God.

However, this contradicts with the Batman comic book whereas Bruce Wayne is no longer Batman and Commissioner James Gordon is. So, is the Darkseid War not canon? Is it in the past? Is it in the future? Is it somewhere else in the vast multiverse? Post your answers to my question below!

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Enzo991

Welcome to the forums. I haven't been keeping up with the Darkseid War, as I prefer to read the whole arc in one go once it finishes, but from what I read, the majority of people seem to agree that this takes part before Endgame. I'm not sure if these contradictions are a part of DC's new direction of focusing on the stories instead of continuity, but I doubt the Darkseid War will have any lasting effects anyway.

SabbTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SabbTech

Thanks @enzo991 for your answer.

Side question: What do you think of Commissioner Gordon being Batman?

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sabbtech: Meh, I'm not very interested. It probably won't last long so until then I'll probably just read JLA to get my Batman fix.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think that he doesn't...its not about what he become, its about the fact that he isn't even Batman anymore in present day Gotham, and i belive that Geoff Jonhs recently said that ithe Drakseid War takes place in the current timeline, so i think that @enzo991 is right, this probably as something to do with DC now, caring more for story quality than continuity (which sucks by the way, because for me, without continuity, theres isn't any sense in telling a long story, let alone having a shared universe).

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

I think it takes place after Gordon's run as Batman.

ghinzdra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bat_girl_cc: what do you make of dark knight returns then ? how about killing joke (barbara gordon crippling is in continuity but the book itself is out of continuity)? kingdom come ? some of the best stories are out of continuity. One would say that DC elsewords is the best work DC has to offer lately....

Now it s called justice league, not a mini-serie but think of it as standalone story and it reads perfectly well. They seem intent on keeping tie ins to 6 issues, so as for me, in spite of the stakes, it s pretty much a standalone mini serie.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@ghinzdra said:

@bat_girl_cc: what do you make of dark knight returns then ? how about killing joke (barbara gordon crippling is in continuity but the book itself is out of continuity)? kingdom come ? some of the best stories are out of continuity. One would say that DC elsewords is the best work DC has to offer lately....

Now it s called justice league, not a mini-serie but think of it as standalone story and it reads perfectly well. They seem intent on keeping tie ins to 6 issues, so as for me, in spite of the stakes, it s pretty much a standalone mini serie.

I have no problem with standalone stories...if they aren't universe-sharing stories, then what happens in there doesn't screw up continuity, but if they do, then it gets confusing...for a story to make sense you can't contradict previously stablished stuff, otherwise it gets messy, and i'm talking about just a long story, now imagine a univere-sharing continuity, it requires good editorial work, but it can be done.

lillion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Batman Eternal vol 3, before Batman Endgame.

I have made a thread where I explain the entire timeline. Basically I explain there what event happened after which one, listed in the bundles / Collected editions / Graphic Novels that these events happened in

Damn I am really plugging it. But here is the link: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/batman/4005-1699/forums/the-batman-new-52-continuity-guide-1811601/#14

Kingblood0369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@lillion1: this is incorrect tho. The gordan becoming batman is part if the DCyou era, and the darkseid war is what happens that leads to the rebirth era. Rebirth happen after DCyou

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.