Follow

Bucky Barnes

Character » Bucky Barnes appears in 2103 issues.

Believed dead near the end of World War II only to have been found and brainwashed by the Soviets for the next 50 years, Captain America's former sidekick now continues to defend his country from the shadows against those who would threaten it as legendary spy and assassin, the Winter Soldier. He became the new Captain America to honor his friend Steve and he joined the Avengers. When Steve returned as Captain America, Bucky took on the identity of the Winter Soldier once again.

Settling a matter about Bucky

rexmachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rexmachina

Hey all, new to CV forums. I guess some people could find this spoilery so I'll err on the side of caution here. Also if this is in the wrong place, lemme know and I'll move it ASAP.

So I'll admit I'm still constantly getting up to speed on Bucky's comic canon. It's a lot to go through and my resources are limited so I can't just binge-read it all. But last night my roommate and her SO got back from Civil War (I'd already seen it, no spoilers I promise) and her SO said that in the comics Bucky was supposed to lose his other arm at some point down the line and have it replaced with another bionic one. Never, in anything I've read or seen about the character, have I heard anything about this and to me it sounds like a load of crap. Is this a recent thing in a series that I just haven't gotten to yet? Is this like an Ultimates thing or from anything other than 616? Or is this person just trying to show off? Like I'm willing to be wrong about this if I am, no hard feelings, but I'm also skeptical because I couldn't find anything about it in my own research and frankly, this person strikes me as one kind of person who will just spout off stuff to impress their SO's friends and feel included. Trying not to pass judgment on someone I hardly know, but this just doesn't add up with what I'm familiar with. If it is a thing that's happened, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of the comics that feature it so I can educate my ignorant self? Thanks in advance.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rexmachina: Well Bucky in the Ultimate U. was an old man in modern times. He wasn't a big part of anything.

As far as 616, It's possible, but it occurred at some point after I stopped reading if so. My gut check tells me this guy isn't correct.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wat is an SO

rexmachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto Significant Other

@risingbean My feelings exactly. I never really got into Ultimates, so I didn't know a whole lot about how he was portrayed there and didn't wanna jump to conclusions (anymore than I already have lol). Hoping maybe some other people can weigh in and help clarify more.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rexmachina: I feel the Ultimates volumes 1 and 2 are some of the best comics to ever come out. I'd recommend you give them a read.

rexmachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean Interesting, I'll have to give them a look. Thanks for the rec.

--Essence--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rexmachina: I'm not really sure about the number but I remember something from the Captain America comics after the Winter Soldier story arc but before Steve Rogers' death where he did lose his arm and Fury provided him with a new one, not the one with the synthetic flesh but a metal one. I think it happened in the UK, but it's been quite some time since I've read it so I could be wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.