Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9559 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Grayson and Nightwing now. Different series. Same problem.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No friends, no importance outside of his little solo adventure. No change. Nothing that shakes up Dick's world.

New52 seems to have killed Dick for good. Without the Titans and the rest of his friends in the DC world. Hes empty as a shell.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

No friends, no importance outside of his little solo adventure. No change. Nothing that shakes up Dick's world.

New52 seems to have killed Dick for good. Without the Titans and the rest of his friends in the DC world. Hes empty as a shell.

Dick is a member of the Titans and has shown up in Batgirl and BoP recently. They have been building up a civilian life for him since he's been in Bludhaven with Shawn Tsang and the former criminals. They even have him looking for a job in recent issues.

I prefer solo books being relatively self-contained (but still being able to cross-over with other books). What I hated was Nightwing's story being jerked around because of events in other books, like Death of the Family Joker destroying his circus and Forever Evil forcing him to fake his death.

Though I'm not 100% sure what you want. Perhaps you can spell it out for me?

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:
    @redwingx said:

Dick is a member of the Titans and has shown up in Batgirl and BoP recently. They have been building up a civilian life for him since he's been in Bludhaven with Shawn Tsang and the former criminals. They even have him looking for a job in recent issues.

I prefer solo books being relatively self-contained (but still being able to cross-over with other books). What I hated was Nightwing's story being jerked around because of events in other books, like Death of the Family Joker destroying his circus and Forever Evil forcing him to fake his death.

Yeah, i'd say this seems to be doing exactly the opposite of Grayson. It's actually giving Dick a life outside of the costume. It's not instantaneous, but you realistically couldn't expect it to be and obviously none of the new additions to the cast are going to be Barbara Gordon or Lucious Fox overnight. He IS a member of the Titans, which is the book that his relationship to the majority of his superhero friends should be explored in in my opinion. His close relationship to Barbara and Damian has been noted and displayed within his own series, along with the series those two characters are appearing in. All that really needs to be done is some solid work on giving him notable Rogues in my opinion.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rdclip said:
    @redwingx said:

Yeah, i'd say this seems to be doing exactly the opposite of Grayson. It's actually giving Dick a life outside of the costume. It's not instantaneous, but you realistically couldn't expect it to be and obviously none of the new additions to the cast are going to be Barbara Gordon or Lucious Fox overnight. He IS a member of the Titans, which is the book that his relationship to the majority of his superhero friends should be explored in in my opinion. His close relationship to Barbara and Damian has been noted and displayed within his own series, along with the series those two characters are appearing in. All that really needs to be done is some solid work on giving him notable Rogues in my opinion.

Like, he got at least 4 new friends, a girlfriend, and a side job that gives him support.

He was recently in an "important" mission, where he had to stop Deathstroke. And before that he was in a "protect Gotham from giant monsters" where he figured out how to stop the big one from doing too much damage while Batman went for the source.

I feel like you just read one or two issues of the 23 issues, and didn't like the random issues of them. Hell, issue 9 was dedicated to the friends of Nightwing in his solo, and issue 15 (?) was all about his relationship with Shawn.

And he's back with the Titans, under the series called Titans, written by the guy who wrote Titans Hunt in the New 52 that brought the Titans together again. So I have it on good authority that you don't really know what you're talking about Redwing

Rebirth has done absolute wonders for Dick, especially when you're actually reading the series.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titans Hunt is self contained and nothing that happens there is of any importance. Heck aside from Dick, the other characters are literally dead and don't matter in the larger dc universe.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

Titans Hunt is self contained and nothing that happens there is of any importance. Heck aside from Dick, the other characters are literally dead and don't matter in the larger dc universe.

Dude, there literally is a Titans ongoing book right now with Tempest, Donna, Roy, Wally, Omen, Bumblebee and Mal. It's been going for about a year now.

Wally is pretty much the character that kicked off Rebirth, Roy is a regular in Green Arrow and with the recent story development I'm sure Donna will start showing up in Wonder Woman soon. Also Titans just had a big cross over with Deathstroke and Teen Titans.

So yes, they do matter in the larger DCU. It's not a massive impact, but not many characters other than the Trinity make major impacts.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:
    @redwingx said:

Dude, there literally is a Titans ongoing book right now with Tempest, Donna, Roy, Wally, Omen, Bumblebee and Mal. It's been going for about a year now.

Wally is pretty much the character that kicked off Rebirth, Roy is a regular in Green Arrow and with the recent story development I'm sure Donna will start showing up in Wonder Woman soon. Also Titans just had a big cross over with Deathstroke and Teen Titans.

So yes, they do matter in the larger DCU. It's not a massive impact, but not many characters other than the Trinity make major impacts.

Including Dick, literally all the characters are alive and have a HUGE rule in the large DC Universe.

Wally was literally the harbinger of the Rebirth (something I'm more increasingly inclined to believe you haven't read yet) so he's totally alive right now. Donna was revealed to have been made to be a counter to stop Diana if she ever goes too far, and she came back at the end of the New 52/DCYou, so she is totally alive. Roy has recently rekindled his relationship with Ollie, and plays a role within protecting Seattle with Ollie, Dinah, an Emiko, and he's been alive since the beginning (if you forgotten, RHatO). Garth never really had a role in the comics, so he is still relatively the same. And he was mentioned in Aquaman 13 or something, so he's been around since the beginning of the new 52.

And what rdclip said, and restating what I said, TITANS (2016) Is a rebirth title that united Dick's "oh so important team that without them he is nothing but a name" team.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And in addition, Titans Hunt isn't "self contained"

Self contained means that the series had no lasting effects to the vast and expansive DCU, which is obviously does considering that Titans Rebirth picks up months after it left off, with them being a team. So it definitely matters. And the Titans is a team that is referenced frequently when Dick is concerned.

If a title's worth is based on it being self contained or not, every solo titled should be shut down since they're only "self contained" for the most part.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

Since the rest of this silly post has been thoroughly covered, let me point out that very few characters actually matter in the larger DCU if we're talking about characters who jump from series to series or whose impact is constantly causing some type of team event style crisis. The quality of an idea shouldn't be based on that however, especially since people are currently sick of that kind of thing anyways. Of course not every character is Batman or Superman and the Titans obviously don't all have the same level of popularity as members of the Justice League, but it's silly to expect them to. The fact remains that various characters on this team have appeared in other series beforehand and that, since Titans Hunt, the creative team has been steadily rebuilding the relationships between each character, which naturally adds more to Dick Grayson as a character, since he is at the core of a number of these relationships. This series, as any team series should be, is just as good and important for Dick as it is for everyone else on the team, except perhaps for people like Wally, who weren't around at all before Rebirth.

Just call it what it is

"Without the Titans and the rest of his friends in the DC world. Hes empty as a shell."

Your initial post was wrong and makes no sense.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher:

It's like "oh yeah I like this character, and he's a good character but only when he's not the focal point of his life, and is in fact surrounded by characters that essentially came to existence because of that character"

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I said Titan Hunt, I meant Titans which is a sequel to Titan Hunt. The characters there literally exist only in in that book and don't get referenced outside of it. That's the very definition of dead. Wally has been replaced by Kanye West and Aqualad too by Aqualad Brown in the largest dc universe. At least other chars do get referenced, especially in their own goddamn myth, Nathanielly Chris handsome.

Damian is the one leading the real Teen Titans, by real I mean the ones who are relevant that DC care about.

Face it guys, Dick is doomed to be this Batman lite character. Hes either a Batman wannabe or some Archer wannabe.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

When I said Titan Hunt, I meant Titans which is a sequel to Titan Hunt. The characters there literally exist only in in that book and don't get referenced outside of it. That's the very definition of dead. Wally has been replaced by Kanye West and Aqualad too by Aqualad Brown in the largest dc universe. At least other chars do get referenced, especially in their own goddamn myth, Nathanielly Chris handsome.

Damian is the one leading the real Teen Titans, by real I mean the ones who are relevant that DC care about.

Face it guys, Dick is doomed to be this Batman lite character. Hes either a Batman wannabe or some Archer wannabe.

Dude, are you reading the same books everyone else is?

Every other pose has shown you how you are wrong, but you can't seem to even acknowledge that. Every character apart from Garth and Omen has shown up in other books.

Did you know that prior to n52, Wally and Garth gave up their old names and younger characters took them? Did you know that there was a team called the Titans featuring the same characters? Teen Titans is the 'real' Teen Titans because Titans isn't trying to be the Teen Titans. They are former members of the Teen Titans that are adults now. It would be pretty stupid if the Teen Titans was a team made up of adults or if a 25 year old Wally West was still called Kid Flash.

I think you are just trolling at this point. No one can be this willfully stubborn.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

How are we supposed to know that when you say Titan Hunt, that you aren't referring to Titan Hunt but in fact Titans?

Nightwing has been shown in every Batbook, Birds of Prey, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, and recently Green Arrow. Donna Troy, in Rebirth, has only been in Titans, Teen Titans, and Deathstroke, but before Rebirth was featured in Wonder Woman heavily. Wally West has been featured in The Flash, Teen Titans, Titans, and Deathstroke. Roy Harper has been featured in Green Arrow, Titans, Teen Titans, and Deathstroke. Garth and Omen both have only been in Titans, Teen Titans, and Deathstroke.

To me, that seems pretty big, considering people like the Flash has only been in The Flash, Justice League, and Titans.

Calling Wally West and Jackson Hyde "Kanye West" and "Aqualad Brown" is a pretty racist statement, and I'm hoping you won't refer to these characters like that again. Wally West II is a great character, that brings a new dynamic to the flash family. Not impulsive like Bart, not the light-heartedness of Wally. He's a great character. And Jackson Hyde is finally returning to the Aqualad role he claimed PRE-FLASHPOINT, and getting a pretty cool story arc to himself in the next few issues of Teen Titans.

The only two who "don't get referenced in their own goddamn myth" is Garth and Omen, which again makes since, since those two really never got the lime light in comics ever. Dick, Wally, Donna, and Roy all get their due. Heck, if we are going to add to it, Karen and Mal aren't getting their references but their "Myth" is just the Titans, so they're getting along pretty fine.

Yes Damian is leading the real "TEEN" Titans, but the TITANS aren't Teens anymore, they are adults, and such as the past two Titans titles they've had in the past (first by Devin Grayson and second by Judd Winick). I don't know why you'd want a 20 something year old man leading a bunch of teenagers. How is that going to help the character move forward, especially since in that scenario, he'd just be delegated to a commanding behind the scenes leader role ala Nick Fury.

Face is Red, Dick is a much larger character than his team or his family, and shouldn't be defined by who he associates with in other titles. He is Dick Grayson, Nightwing, the first Robin, and the second Batman. Not a Batman Light, and not an Archer Wannabe (which I really don't get, since Grayson totally doesn't follow Archer at all. Like there is no comparison you can make between the two that would remotely make any sense besides general appearance)

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nightwing is solid book. Seeley is killin it.

Can't say the same thing about King with his Batman smh,

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

I disagree, King's Batman is a long con story that only gets better as you read the story as a whole, rather in parts. It's not a good formula for the "in demand satisfying" stories that comics are kind of known for, but for the long fan, and this 2 a month kind of system, it works decently well.

It has its weird moments, sure, but I feel like the characterization and the interesting plot is there

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Eto
    nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

Man i've been gone a long time lol but i've been keeping track of Nightwing's current series and I agree for the most part. There have been some missteps in my opinion, such as the way the entire business with Shawn has gone down, but overall i've continued to enjoy this series above the rest of the Bat books and it remains the one Bat book that I have yet to drop.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nightwingism

@eto said:

Man i've been gone a long time lol but i've been keeping track of Nightwing's current series and I agree for the most part. There have been some missteps in my opinion, such as the way the entire business with Shawn has gone down, but overall i've continued to enjoy this series above the rest of the Bat books and it remains the one Bat book that I have yet to drop.

There was so much build up for Shawn as a character and love interest, it's strange that it kind of just ended. I knew it wouldn't last, but I'm just surprised it only lasted as long as it did.

The characters are all awesome, and I've grown to really like Raptor as a character.

But I don't think the other Bat books are bad, in terms of quality

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like Seeley got tired of dealing with the "not muh" fanbase, and left for Green Lanterns, where he could get some more creative freedom.

Nathaniel_Adam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Nathaniel_Adam

The current (rebirth Nightwing) book is downright boring, saying it as a huge fan. ''Grayson'' was a great and innovative idea to a series and they put it into effect very well, the book might've pulled even some people that didn't have interest in the character at all. Sure, the new book orientates itself towards the original concept, which is bringing back the arch-enemy blockbuster and fighitng crime in Bludhaven, wearing the blue/black costume but it doesn't bring added value as well, so it's really nothing special about it. I'm glad, they took away Seely from this. Even the art is or was bad, Nightwing is drawn like a 14 years old boy. I hope the new creative team has a good grasp of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.