Obi-Wan runs a Skywalker gauntlet

Avatar image for deactivated-5a20a68641bc7
deactivated-5a20a68641bc7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Obi-Wan managed to pull off a victory against Anakin Skywalker in Revenge of the Sith, but how well would he perform against other members of the Skywalker legacy?

Conditions

• Obi-Wan is as he appears in Revenge of the Sith. Previous Legends feats also apply.
  • His opponents are all in their shown prime unless otherwise stated. Previous Legends feats also apply.
  • Everyone fights in character.
  • Obi-Wan and his opponents start at a 20m distance on Utapau at the site where Kenobi first engaged General Grievous (pictured).
  • Obi-Wan fully heals between rounds, but preparation is disabled.

The Gauntlet

1. Kylo Ren and Ben Skywalker
  2. Anakin Solo
  3. Luke Skywalker (ESB) and Kol Skywalker
  4. Anakin Skywalker (AOTC) and Nat "Bantha Rawk" Skywalker
  5. Leia Organa Solo
  6. Cade Skywalker
  7. Mara Jade Skywalker
  8. Jaina Solo Fel
  9. Luke Skywalker (ROTJ)
  10. Darth Vader (ROTJ)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at 8. Maybe.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

7-9 can all potentially stop him.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Greysentinel365

Stopping at 10 definitely.

Though 7 or 8 could stop him as well

Cosmic_Templar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Jaina.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98875cd0f94
deactivated-5a98875cd0f94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making it past Cade will be difficult, Mara can stop him. So can Jaina. And why is ROTJ Luke so up? He can't stop Kenobi. ROTJ Vader can ragdoll.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesithmaster said:

And why is ROTJ Luke so up? He can't stop Kenobi. ROTJ Vader can ragdoll.

I was changing around the order quite extensively as I designed this and consulted more and more past Battles threads. (I prefer to rely on consensus rather than my own ranking when designing a gauntlet.) I could have easily shuffled the final three into any order in light of what I've read, but threads like this one, this one and this one give me the impresson that the order I settled with isn't too bad.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cade, Jaina, and Mara all might be able to stomp him, but I think it's possible that he gets to Vader.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4a9a7745a28
deactivated-5a4a9a7745a28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah of course Kylo Ren at 1, just stop using him in these gauntlets if you've no idea where to properly place him.

Emperor339

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably stops somewhere along 7-9.

Definitely doesn't beat Vader for a majority.

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@discipulus: isn't getting past 9, could stop earlier,

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

I don't think he even gets past Anakin Solo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthduelist9: Which of the opponents in this gauntlet is he superior to, then? I think it's fair to place him low on the ladder when we only have The Force Awakens to work with. Luke Skywalker as of A New Hope would be very low, too; he just didn't make it here due to a virtual absence of combat showings.

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think he even gets past Anakin Solo.

feats for anakin solo?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kbroskywalker: This respect thread on him is very good. A great deal of his showings are against the Yuuzhan Vong, and so whilst some of his feats may not be much use against Obi-Wan Kenobi, he's really shown a Master-level command of the Force.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Discipulus:

OK, fair enough, but Jaina killed Darth Caedus while both were going full out, no amps, and Luke required a rage amp to defeat a holding back Vader. And Mara was also utterly outclassing and beating Caedus, who had to create a Force Illusion and shoot her with a poison dart in order to survive. But OK. In this order, stops at 7, 8 and again at 10.

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kbroskywalker

@discipulus: He's incredibly impressive given his age, but he's didn't surpass kenobi level power wise from what I've seen though obviously he would have. Saberwise I don't really know how to make that comparison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthduelist9: Which of the opponents in this gauntlet is he superior to, then? I think it's fair to place him low on the ladder when we only have The Force Awakens to work with. Luke Skywalker as of A New Hope would be very low, too; he just didn't make it here due to a virtual absence of combat showings.

Sure if you think it isn't enough to properly place him than don't use him, it's really useless.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Richard96:

Oh ok. Still, didn't Caedus also injure Jaina? Meaning, Jaina was also injured. And, I've seen many pictures of the fight. Caedus was fine, no apparent injury.

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesithmaster:

When jaina killed him, poor caedus was so injured that it is a miracle that he could even wield the saber

in his duel vs luke caedus was able to feed and boost himself of the strength of his pain, it could be argued the same thing happened here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthduelist9: I didn't mean that The Force Awakens is insufficient to properly show him. I meant that with the exception of very recent material (e.g. the Aftermath novel) and young readers' material (which I haven't consulted, in all fairness), we only have one source plus its adaptations for Kylo Ren. This really isn't much different to choosing any early/weak incarnation of a character, whether it's AOTC Anakin or ESB Luke. Based on his showings in the film - taking a hit from Finn in their duel; having six or seven successive strikes blocked by Finn; failing to evade or stop Chewbacca's bowcaster bolt - I don't think he belongs in a higher tier.

It wasn't an arbitrary choice to use him, anyway. I was limited to members of the Skywalker family (I suppose Mara Jade is the exception), and I couldn't think of any others besides Shmi(!) and Caedus - both of whom would be very poor choices.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c508820920c0
deactivated-5c508820920c0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Around about 8-10 should be able to take him.

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richard96:

yea fair. Regardless that was a pre prime jaina.

Emperordmb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthduelist9: I didn't mean that The Force Awakens is insufficient to properly show him. I meant that with the exception of very recent material (e.g. the Aftermath novel) and young readers' material (which I haven't consulted, in all fairness), we only have one source plus its adaptations for Kylo Ren. This really isn't much different to choosing any early/weak incarnation of a character, whether it's AOTC Anakin or ESB Luke. Based on his showings in the film - taking a hit from Finn in their duel; having six or seven successive strikes blocked by Finn; failing to evade or stop Chewbacca's bowcaster bolt - I don't think he belongs in a higher tier.

It wasn't an arbitrary choice to use him, anyway. I was limited to members of the Skywalker family (I suppose Mara Jade is the exception), and I couldn't think of any others besides Shmi(!) and Caedus - both of whom would be very poor choices.

Well it are those different adaptations of The Force Awakens that give you a better picture of the movie itself, and by extent thus Kylo's fight with Finn and Rey. These adaptations (novel, junior novel, Rey's Story, Before the Awakening, ...) provide even perfect answers on your arguments against him, first of all both the novel and junior novel of TFA confirm that Kylo was merely toying with Finn despite being mentally hindered by the death of his father (novels confirm him to be weaker after that act) and suffering from a bowcaster wound which caused him to loose a lot of blood. It's even stated that the moment Finn actually landed a hit, which happened because Kylo never expected Finn to be able to wield the weapon to any serious degree, he immediately defeated him in a couple strikes (the movie goes even further on this by having him disarm Finn in one move). On the other hand we know that when he killed his father, Han Solo, he directly felt weaker by it, thus Chewbacca landing that shot on him is easily explained by the fact that he was stunned by his own actions. The things that most people hold against him are most of the times explained in these extra sources like the junior novel or the Force Awakens through the eyes of Rey (Rey's Story), so yes I do understand it's difficult to judge him but putting him in a gauntlet when you realise he hasn't enough material to properly judge him is only going to work against you since the primary purpose of this kind of thread is to compare characters.

PS: You could've included Jacen Solo before falling to the Dark Side (e.g. Dark Nest Jacen Solo) ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthduelist9:

PS: You could've included Jacen Solo before falling to the Dark Side (e.g. Dark Nest Jacen Solo) ;)

Good point. If I ever run another Skywalkers gauntlet I think I'll make that addition.

These adaptations (novel, junior novel, Rey's Story, Before the Awakening, ...) provide even perfect answers on your arguments against him, first of all both the novel and junior novel of TFA confirm that Kylo was merely toying with Finn despite being mentally hindered by the death of his father (novels confirm him to be weaker after that act) and suffering from a bowcaster wound which caused him to loose a lot of blood.

I see. Perhaps I'd have benefited from doing some background reading for him! I think certain elements of my argument still stand, though. I accept that Kylo Ren's state of mind would have been significantly altered the moment he killed Han, but there are comparable cases in which Force users didn't subsequently lower their guard after experiencing a terrible act. Think of how Yoda reacted on Kashyyyk to the disturbance in the Force triggered by the Order 66 killings -- and how, still in a state of immediate grief, he landed a perfect strike on the two swamp troopers sent to kill him. Another example: barely a minute after critically injuring his wife, Anakin was able to hold his own against Obi-Wan (perhaps even showing an advantage in the early sequences).

As for the circumstances of his wound at the hands of Finn: they had already clashed sabers at least ten times when Finn inflicts the injury. At the same point in Darth Vader's fight against Luke on Bespin, Vader passed comment on Luke's training ("You have learned much, young one"). Kylo could be forgiven for underestimating his opponent in the first seconds of the fight, but by the time he was injured enough time should have elapsed for him to have an idea of Finn's strength.

Whilst I don't see positive evidence for Kylo deserving a higher place on the gauntlet as yet, I do realise that perhaps there are too many variables in The Force Awakens's fights to make him an easy fighter to place on a Battles thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@discipulus:

I see. Perhaps I'd have benefited from doing some background reading for him! I think certain elements of my argument still stand, though. I accept that Kylo Ren's state of mind would have been significantly altered the moment he killed Han, but there are comparable cases in which Force users didn't subsequently lower their guard after experiencing a terrible act. Think of how Yoda reacted on Kashyyyk to the disturbance in the Force triggered by the Order 66 killings -- and how, still in a state of immediate grief, he landed a perfect strike on the two swamp troopers sent to kill him. Another example: barely a minute after critically injuring his wife, Anakin was able to hold his own against Obi-Wan (perhaps even showing an advantage in the early sequences).

Of course however Yoda's also both more powerful and far more disciplined than Kylo, it's quite logical that he would be able to push aside those heavy emotions upon experiencing the death of all those Jedi contrary to Kylo Ren who's the embodiment of conflict and relies far more heavily on his emotions than someone like Yoda. On the other hand, multiple sources have confirmed that Anakin on Mustafar was hindered, rather heavily.

As for the circumstances of his wound at the hands of Finn: they had already clashed sabers at least ten times when Finn inflicts the injury. At the same point in Darth Vader's fight against Luke on Bespin, Vader passed comment on Luke's training ("You have learned much, young one"). Kylo could be forgiven for underestimating his opponent in the first seconds of the fight, but by the time he was injured enough time should have elapsed for him to have an idea of Finn's strength.

Not necessarely, he was easily toying with Finn the entire fight so he was definitely not considering him a threat until Finn landed that strike which happened completely against the tide of the fight, it's very much most likely that because of Kylo's overconfidence he was oblivious to the potential skill and determination someone like Finn actually possessed. On top of that more sources than one make not of how Finn is absolutely no match for Kylo, even under the sever circumstances Kylo's under when fighting him (mentally hindered, bowcaster wound).

Whilst I don't see positive evidence for Kylo deserving a higher place on the gauntlet as yet, I do realise that perhaps there are too many variables in The Force Awakens's fights to make him an easy fighter to place on a Battles thread.

The main problem is that the characters he has fought don't really have anything going for them in terms of accolades or skill and given that Kylo was easily beating them/pushing them back under the various circumstances that I listed in the previous part of my comment makes it even more difficult to actually rank him.

LordOfTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can stop anywhere between 8 and 10. Mara might beat him as well. And I'd say that Jaina is above ROTJ Luke, well above him at that. Mara should be above him as well.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Azronger

@azronger said:

Stops at 8. Maybe.

I'll change my answer to 6. I see him stopping at Cade due to the infamous satellite scaling he benefits from.

Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greysentinel365: Talon is one of the strongest members of the One Sith by virtue of being Krayt's hand, correct? So she should be much stronger than either Wredd or Jao Assam. And as Cade ragdolled Talon, he should be tossing those satellites like tennis balls.

Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azronger: Fair enough. Though I don't think Cade ever ragdolled her.

That does shake things up though. Although Obi-Wan's own respective scaling and superior saber skills might net him the win anyway.

IMO

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greysentinel365:

Though I don't think Cade ever ragdolled her.

No Caption Provided

Although Obi-Wan's own respective scaling and superior saber skills might net him the win anyway.

I don't see how any of Obi-Wan's scaling would trump Cade's, and I view Cade's power advantage as a greater benefit than Obi-Wan's skill advantage.

Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Greysentinel365

@azronger: I think that was more a series of blasts than a ragdoll. Especially since we know the art style of that series portrays that. Even then Talon was not in the best shape for that.

Also, being superior to the iteration of Anakin who could manipulate dreadnaughts and hold back the Theta Storm for hours and then growing more powerful over the course of the war.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greysentinel365: If you can repeatedly smash your opponent into walls without her being able to do anything about it, then that constitutes as a ragdoll in my eyes.

Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Greysentinel365

@azronger: That's fair enough. I don't though.

It's the difference between slowly beating someone down and outright dominating them. Even then Talon was...... not at her best at that moment.

LordOfTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LordOfTheLight

Obi Wan's scaling of Anakin's theta storm feat should beat that one decisively IMO. Obi Wan was also more powerful than an Anakin who had, months previously manipulated dreadnoughts and would be substantially more powerful than that. And Obi Wan is even more powerful. And of course, this is early TCW Obi Wan, when he is largely pre-prime. I don't see Cade having any relevant power advantage, if any at all. Certainly not enough to overcome Obi Wan's skill advantage.

Also by that exact same logic, Obi Wan should be much, much more powerful than Rivi Anu, and we know what she has done.

Avatar image for clownprinceofcrime1995
clownprinceofcrime1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a pure lightsabre battle it's a stomp across the board.

Force scaling wise he did beat vader when vader could fight in his preferred style and was much more powerful in the force. Don't think vader got THAT much more powerful after being turned into a spitroast.

Mije_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Cade.

Avatar image for amethystgravity
AmethystGravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the order isn't too terrible, though I assume the line of thought is that RotJ Luke ~ Vader?

Anyways, 6-8 could all probably stop Kenobi, though it's a shame that he Legacy characters, particularly Cade and Jaina, didn't have much time to show feats in their primes that don't involve context, circumstances, and a fair bit of scaling.