China quietly bans Venom Let there be carnage for gay romance

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

The first movie was a huge hit and made almost 300 million in China. However Andy Serkis decided to pander to SJWs in this movie and got the movie banned in China.

Sadly Chinese wont able to enjoy sequel because of LGBT agenda.

Avatar image for marygcrisostomo
marygcrisostomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By marygcrisostomo

Unfortunate. What is the LGBT portrayal in Venom 2?

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Antebellum

I wonder how is this going on the Balkan countries, especially Serbia and Bosnia & Herzegovina having in consideration they are very anti lgbt. It seems with no problem there, China being more sensitive than those two is surprising.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh? Eh? I didn’t notice anything gay?

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 socajunkie  Moderator

The ‘Quietly’ gets me for some reason.

SamJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was no "gay romance" in the movie though

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Hajduk

Is this even real? What was the gay romance? Eddie and the symbiote??

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

I guess there's a not so subtle implication of a romance between Eddie and Venom (Venom coming "out of the Eddie closet"). But come on, it's between a man and an alien symbiote. If Venom was a female symbiote, it would be...okay?

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess there's a not so subtle implication of a romance between Eddie and Venom (Venom coming "out of the Eddie closet"). But come on, it's between a man and an alien symbiote. If Venom was a female symbiote, it would be...okay?

Yes

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this even real? What was the gay romance? Eddie and the symbiote??

@geekryan said:

There was no "gay romance" in the movie though

@wolfrazer said:

Unfortunate. What is the LGBT portrayal in Venom 2?

Loading Video...

Venom: Let There Be Carnage director Andy Serkis told Uproxx about an interesting scene where the alien, Venom, attends a rave without his human host Eddie Brock (both played by Tom Hardy). In the scene, Venom opens up about how much he missed Eddie because they just had an argument.

Serkis explained the scene was based on an LGBT+ festival and was “Venom’s coming out party”.

“It was originally going to be a carnival of the damned and it ended up being Tom had got to know Little Simz, who’s a brilliant rapper and also stars in the movie,” Serkis told Uproxx.

He added that Little Simz made a song titled “Venom” that “connected very much with the first movie” so Hardy contacted her and the “song became sort of the focus”.

“Well, Tom and [co-writer] Kelly [Marcel] were always about Venom coming out and going to a party that was a very sort of an LGBTQIA kind of festival, really, I’d call it, and so this is his coming out party basically,” Serkis said. “This is Venom’s coming-out party.”

He told Uproxx that there was a parallel between this story and the lived experiences of queer people.

“Well, what is interesting is that it’s just like, here he is kind of, he says in the movie, ‘We must stop this cruel treatment of aliens,’” Serkis shared. “He said, ‘You know, we all live on this ball of rock,’ you know?”

He added: “And so he inadvertently becomes a kind of… he’s speaking for the other. He’s speaking for freedom of the other.”

Later in the interview, Serkis explained that Eddie Brock and the symbiote deeply love each other, saying their love is the “center of the movie”.

“Absolutely they do love each other and that’s the kind of the centre of the movie is that love affair, that central love affair,” Serkis said.

Serkis revealed in the production notes for the Venom sequel that, rather than a traditional romantic love story, the film is about the “extraordinary relationship between symbiote and host”, Comic Book reported.

“The film is a love story – but not the love story you might think,” Serkis said in the notes. “It’s very much about the extraordinary relationship between symbiote and host.”

He wrote that “any love affair has its pitfalls”, and Venom and Eddie’s relationship “absolutely causes problems and stress”. But regardless of their “near-hatred for each other”, they “can’t live without each other”.

“That’s companionship – love – the things that relationships are really about,” Serkis added.

The love-hate relationship between Eddie Brock and Venom isn’t anything new to comic book fans.

In the comics, Eddie is a journalist who comes into contact with an alien symbiote that was originally rejected by Peter Parker, aka Spider-Man. The symbiote bonds with Eddie, and they become Venom.

The comics often delve into the chaotic, animated relationship between the man and the alien beast.

After years together, the 2018 comic Venom #164 added a new level to Eddie and the symbiote’s relationship – parenthood.

According to CBR, the story opened by delving into how intertwined Eddie and Venom’s consciousnesses are. Eddie begins having dreams about Venom’s previous offspring, and he questions the alien about the disturbing dreams. But the alien brushed off the nightmares as just products of Eddie’s subconsciousness.

However, later in the comic, Eddie finds out that Venom is spawning so they’re about to become parents.

ScreenRant explained the baby is delivered in Venom #165, and Eddie protected the alien while Venom was giving birth to the baby symbiote. According to the outlet, Eddie later bonds with this child then Venom entrusted him to raise.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobeymaguire84: That still isn't a gay romance though lol. And Venom is a Symbiote. An alien. How is that "gay"?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wolfrazer

@tobeymaguire84: ....Ok? But that doesn't come across as gay romance, at least how I saw it, sure the two have a deep bond to one another and they love each other, but I didn't take that as anything gay. You can love your friends/companions after all. If that's what the director was trying to go for then....ok? But I didn't see it like that.

Ccbm2208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chinese censorship is so weird. Lol

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Hajduk

Lmfao.

HarryNorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

@tobeymaguire84: That still isn't a gay romance though lol. And Venom is a Symbiote. An alien. How is that "gay"?

trying to subtly push lgbt agenda by any means to slowly influence a country that is anti-lgbt won't fly with them. They will pick it up and stop it in it's tracks.

Phobiaxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Phobiaxl

Uh, I know Venom typically appears and sounds masculine, but the Venom symbiote is sexless. So how can it be gay?

diydeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to know China's Government are hyper sensitive attention seekers...unless the attention is bad; then they cry victim.

They're like all the bad traits of people rolled into one ruling body. It's nuts.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Glad to know the OP is pro-censorship, must be an idiot communist.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#22 frozen  Moderator
TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@tobeymaguire84: So you're in favour of the censorship?

@jgames said:

No but woke Disney censors the movies to pander to SJWs

Avatar image for ryuuzakiscorpio
ryuuzakiscorpio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lubub55:

1. Venom said woman are not his type.

2. Venom said he was out of the Eddie closet.

3. Venom loves Eddie.

4. Venom kissed Eddie.

Anything else?

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do symbiotes have a defined sex? If Venom merges with Anne does it become female? Is it physically gender fluid or is it asexual? If the latter, is this a case of gender identity for a creature that reproduces asexually?

From what I understand China is limiting more foreign films this year than they have in recent years. This might be because it’s easier for them to control the Chinese film market and the ideology within Chinese language films than films made outside of China.

Ob1Toe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Penguin-Dust: In the comics I think their Gender fluid as ones like carnage have been referred to as male or female by Cassady in different occasions. Not sure if it's the same in the movies tho

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobeymaguire84: Why are you support and authoritarian dictatorship over human rights? I could care lesss about Chinese audiences enjoying a movie when they can't even criticize the government. Frankly, discriminating against gay scence is petty like the Middle East banning Gal Gagot movies. If you don't like it don't watch it.

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TobeyMaguire84
@Penguin-Dust said:

Do symbiotes have a defined sex? If Venom merges with Anne does it become female? Is it physically gender fluid or is it asexual? If the latter, is this a case of gender identity for a creature that reproduces asexually?

From what I understand China is limiting more foreign films this year than they have in recent years. This might be because it’s easier for them to control the Chinese film market and the ideology within Chinese language films than films made outside of China.

Dune, Bond. Jungle Cruise, Black Widow. Fast 9, Free Guy, all got China release. It make no sense to ban Venom even with limiting Hollywood movies

Avatar image for darkpsychiclord_prime
DarkPsychicLord_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ob1toe: Okay good to know.

@tobeymaguire84: I had heard that Black Widow did not get a mainland China release. There was a pretty good article in the Hollywood Reporter on the tenuous relationship between China and the Western studios.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/hollywood-and-china-what-now-1234955332/

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lgbt "agenda" like being represented is a bad thing lol.

nerdyrishav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No doubt, several early Chinese emperors are speculated to have had homosexual relationships accompanied by heterosexual ones.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@frozen said:

@tobeymaguire84: So you're in favour of the censorship?

@jgames said:

No but woke Disney censors the movies to pander to SJWs

Did not knew Venom was a Disney property, hear I thought it was Sony /s. Also, Disney easily censored any LGBT+ content if it means making them more money with creators often having to fight for LGBT+ representation. I mean do not get me wrong, they definitely pander to people with them saying they are pro LGBT+ to push rainbow mickey mouse product, but having LGBT+ content does no make something instantly pandering to SJWs. By that logic any white straight men Christian character is pandering to racist religious conservative.