I want to start reading Fantastic Four, so where exactly should I start?

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Andromeda1001

I want to get into the Fantastic Four, but I don't know from where and what should I start reading. Any recommended readings?

pachyderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F4 has a ton of good runs, but imo just start with Lee & Kirby's; it holds up incredibly well. Otherwise Waid's run is also a good option.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pachyderm said:

F4 has a ton of good runs, but imo just start with Lee & Kirby's; it holds up incredibly well. Otherwise Waid's run is also a good option.

Thanks! I've actually heard Stan/Kirby's run is quite outdated and corny, though. Is that true?

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Scarlet_Wiccan
@andromeda1001 said:

@pachyderm said:

Thanks! I've actually heard Stan/Kirby's run is quite outdated and corny, though. Is that true?

Imo the best jumping on points are...

• John Byrne - #232 (A classic run to jump on but not as classic as Lee/Kirby)
  • Mark Waid - (Vol 3) #60 (The most famous place to jump on)
  • Marvel Knights 4 (One of my personal favorite modern runs, It's very grounded and dark though)
  • Current run - (Vol 7) (Reads a lot like classic runs and is very new-reader friendly)

If you want recommendations for the individual members just ask

Supreme101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Any comics that have the team names a start

pachyderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda1001: I mean, all 60s comics are to some degree, but F4 is up there with ASM as being head and shoulders above anything else being put out at that time; maybe the first 20 issues or so are more noticeably goofy than what comes later, but for at least the rest of the run, mixed in with that corniness comes some of the best storytelling the characters have had.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan said:

• Marvel Knights 4 (One of my personal favorite modern runs, It's very grounded and dark though)
  • Current run - (Vol 7) (Reads a lot like classic runs)

Thanks, Scarlet! That's really helpful.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ProfessorRespect
@pachyderm said:

@andromeda1001: I mean, all 60s comics are to some degree, but F4 is up there with ASM as being head and shoulders above anything else being put out at that time; maybe the first 20 issues or so are more noticeably goofy than what comes later, but for at least the rest of the run, mixed in with that corniness comes some of the best storytelling the characters have had.

Yeah just skip the filler goofy Impossible Man issue and it's all good for the most part, the Kirby writing takes some getting used to though

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pachyderm said:

I mean, all 60s comics are to some degree, but F4 is up there with ASM as being head and shoulders above anything else being put out at that time; maybe the first 20 issues or so are more noticeably goofy than what comes later, but for at least the rest of the run, mixed in with that corniness comes some of the best storytelling the characters have had.

Yea, I remember how it was when I read Strange's appearances from that time. They were quite goofy, but I might give it a try to the F4 then.

Thanks for the help, too.

BigBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigbaby said:

@scarlet_wiccan: How do you feel about the recent F4 casting?

I'm interested in knowing that, as well.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scarlet_Wiccan
@bigbaby said:

Not a big fan (particularly Sue and especially Johnny) but I can't really do anything about it. Right now I'm just hoping for the best and will have to wait for more information or a trailer

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan said:

• Current run - (Vol 7) (Reads a lot like classic runs)

Thanks, Scarlet! That's really helpful.

Glad I could help

BigBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigbaby said:

Not a big fan (particularly Sue and especially Johnny) but I can't really do anything about it. Right now I'm just hoping for the best and will have to wait for more information or a trailer

I don't really know the actors playing them but who would you have preferred for them?

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scarlet_Wiccan
@bigbaby said:
@scarlet_wiccan said:
@bigbaby said:

I don't really know the actors playing them but who would you have preferred for them?

I'm also not too familiar with the actors but they just don't strike me as Sue and Johnny from what I've seen them in, I don't really have any particular actors in mind for them I just thought when the cast would be announced I'd see it but so far I don't

If I had to choose an actress for Sue I'd choose...

1. Evan Rachel Wood (age 36)

2. Teresa Palmer (age 37)

3. Elizabeth Lail if it was a younger cast (31)

The first two are also mothers in real life in case there are children involved

BigBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan: Fair. I think the F4 will do well, though. Matt Shakman is after all the one directing it, and he did a fabulous job with Wandavision.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scarlet_Wiccan
@bigbaby said:

@scarlet_wiccan: Fair. I think the F4 will do well, though. Matt Shakman is after all the one directing it, and he did a fabulous job with Wandavision.

True, Although I don't like the 60's period piece setting

Also I added a few of my Sue casting choices above

BigBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan: I think the 60's setting is a mandate to explain why they weren't there for Endgame. My favorite choice from the options is probably the third one, then the first.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe the Lee and Kirby run is still the quintessential run, after that you can jump into about any other run. John Byrne's run is also great.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigbaby said:

@scarlet_wiccan: I think the 60's setting is a mandate to explain why they weren't there for Endgame. My favorite choice from the options is probably the third one, then the first.

I love that's going to be in the 60s. I wish it was the same for Doctor Strange.

I believe the Lee and Kirby run is still the quintessential run, after that you can jump into about any other run. John Byrne's run is also great.

Thanks!

BigBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda1001:I'm a fan of older shows, and music than what they produce in the current era, and it's why I loved the idea of a sitcom for Wandavision. If I'm going, to be honest, I'm also thrilled it's in the 60's, but the MCU's failed before in delivering olden times(i.e Captain Marvel) genres, leaving me with a bit of skepticism. The concept is really appealing, tho, so fingers crossed it works well.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigbaby: Same.

I started loving that period mostly due to retrofuturism games like Fallout, Outer Worlds, etc. I do hope F4 turns out well.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigbaby: @andromeda1001:

The reason why I don't like the 60's setting is because the Fantastic Four has a stigma that they're outdated and can't function as a modern brand (in large part because of the underwhelming movies) as can be seen in the comics where a lot of writers go out of their way to try and recapture the 60's feel of the team and devolve the characters in the process (Dan Slott's run for example) while runs like Mark Waid, Hickman, Matt Fraction, Ryan North, ect have shown that the team can indeed work in a modern setting

So ultimately a movie set in the 60's would be interesting and nostalgic but beyond that it makes it harder to get people invested in the FF as a modern brand

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan: I see, but to be honest, I love that time period. If I could decide what Marvel would do, then Strange himself would also be set in there.

I read Slott's F4 recently, and it was a blast to me. You didn't like it?

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scarlet_Wiccan
@andromeda1001 said:

@scarlet_wiccan: I see, but to be honest, I love that time period. If I could decide what Marvel would do, then Strange himself would also be set in there.

I read Slott's F4 recently, and it was a blast to me. You didn't like it?

I'm here for any other property to be set in the 60's just not the FF

I greatly dislike Slott's run for his poor treatment of everyone except Ben. He ruined Johnny and Franklin for a lot of people and he basically admitted he ignored Sue for the entirity of his run

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheInsufferable

From the first issue. It's actually one of the only Lee runs that are readable (as others have said, F4 and Spider-Man are noticeably better than most of his other efforts in the 60s).

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan said:

I'm here for any other property to be set in the 60's just not the FF

I greatly dislike Slott's run for his poor treatment of everyone except Ben. He ruined Johnny and Franklin for a lot of people and he basically admitted he ignored Sue for the entirity of his run

Fair enough.

It seems you're not the only one. I talked with some fans of F4 and they think Slott did the same for the team as did with Spidey. Still, I did like his writing(Maybe because I'm not that well-versed in the characters).

From the first issue. It's actually one of the only Lee runs that are readable (as others have said, F4 and Spider-Man are noticeably better than most of his other efforts in the 60s).

Yea, I already started reading Lee/Kirby's run.

BigBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_wiccan: I see. I've never really seen the F4 as outdated superheroes.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want modern then just read Hickman's post secret wars run and go into the current run written by North. I have no idea how Scott's run was received but I know the current one is highly regarded

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant do much to answer this question - interested in knowing myself. Just wanted to say of what Ive read of Lee, his Silver Surfer stuff is miles away his best. Which makes sense given Surfer is pretty clearly his favorite character(only Spiderman comes remotely close).

I guess that does tie in with his FF writing though

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@kgb725 said:

If you want modern then just read Hickman's post secret wars run and go into the current run written by North. I have no idea how Scott's run was received but I know the current one is highly regarded

Slott's run is awful

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigbaby said:

@scarlet_wiccan: I see. I've never really seen the F4 as outdated superheroes.

Yeah, but unfortunately a lot of people do especially people who don't read comics

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigbaby said:

Wait, who is going to act as sue and johnny?

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mage101
@kgb725 said:

Slott's run is awful

Seconded. The guy obviously didn't know how to write the FF.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scarlet_Wiccan
@mage101 said:
@scarlet_wiccan said:
@bigbaby said:

Venessa Kirby and Joseph Quinn

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mage101 said:
@scarlet_wiccan said:
@bigbaby said:

I like kirby and quinn obviously because of hobbs and shaw and stranger things but i do not see them as sue and johnny.

Scarlet_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mage101 said:
@scarlet_wiccan said:
@mage101 said:
@scarlet_wiccan said:
@bigbaby said:

I like kirby and quinn obviously because of hobbs and shaw and stranger things but i do not see them as sue and johnny.

Same but I'm getting used to it