So sick of one piece characters magically getting stronger.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Enemybird

Up until chapter 1000. The consistency that I really enjoyed about this series was pretty much thrown out the window. This is dragon ball super levels of absurdity.

After Dressrosa, EVERYBODY pretty much assumed that there would be another timeskip. Because there was just no way in hell the Strawhats could become strong enough to take down a Yonko. At the time, Doflamingo alone defeated Law and Luffy. The bar at that point had been raised pretty high. Luffy needed help with Cracker and had to run from Katakuri mid fight. He could not even attack Big Mom without Ko'ing himself. That was just one arc ago.

Luffy's attacks at the start of Wano did not even phase Kaido. He was promptly ko'ed in one attack. Luffy goes to prison and Queen easily defect's Luffy's punch with extreme disrespect...it was insane but it all made sense in context.

Luffy trains and learns ryou but he STILL gets washed and pushed to gear 4 by Ulti. At this point, it makes zero sense for Luffy to be able to do anything to Kaido.

However chapter 1,000 rolls around and Luffy damages Kaido in his base form and tanks the attack that one shot him about a week ago all while in his base. EDIT: Luffy used gear 3. Thunder Bagura also grazed him - wasn't a completely tank.

Zoro who did not posses the haki to break Doffy's birdcage is now able to scar Kaido which has only ever been done one other time in his life despite confrontations with Roger, Garp and Shanks. Oh yeah every bone is Zoro's body was basically broken while he did it.

Sanji who probably could not defeat Vergo even with his WCI feats is now knocking Queen around somehow. I don't understand how the exoskeleton allows Sanji to do this when his siblings were so easily defeated in WCI.

Robin pulls demon mode out of her ass. That would've been helpful on dressrosa.

Apparently Nami can survive headbutts from Ulti without haki.

Kidd got thrashed by Kaido when he dropped on their hideout, before that shanks or his crew thrashed him now all of a Sudden Big Mom take a year off her life to deal with him and Law?

This was rushed. all this hype just for everyone to magically get stronger. I know someone is going to mention it but water 7 was different. The initial shock of robin's betrayal and the motivation for everyone to push themselves to the limit to get her back. it was different.

LimitBreaker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zoro got enma which was why he was able to injure kaido, and luffy had his haki mastery increased which is why he can fight kaido in base. Though I do agree that power progression is one piece is pretty bad

Jieldre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most or this is either handcannon or outright wrong lol.

Literally every relevant shonen has a powercreep towards the end. It is a trope atp. Weird that you'd thought that one piece would be any different

Pr03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pr03

Are you forgetting everyone got a week off before they could raid?

Luffy and Kidd trained in Udon with seastone shackles, increasing their base physical strength. Besides I am telling raid is gonna fail, Luffy is never beating Kaido. If he does it 1v1, then that will be the greatest asspull I would ever see in the show.

Sanji gets raid suit and develops exoskeleton, his siblings don't know shit about Haki.

Zoro got enma, which has Oden's haki imbedded in it, besides even Fujitora was not able to cut birdcage.

Although I agree about Nami and Robin, they are nothing but plot armors. Law's awakening is also plot armor.

Not denying everyone is magically getting stronger, but some of it can be explained.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr03 said:

Are you forgetting everyone got a week off before they could raid?

Luffy and Kidd trained in Udon with seastone shackles, increasing their base physical strength. Besides I am telling raid is gonna fail, Luffy is never beating Kaido. If he does it 1v1, then that will be the greatest asspull I would ever see in the show.

Sanji gets raid suit and develops exoskeleton, his siblings don't know shit about Haki.

Zoro got enma, which has Oden's haki imbedded in it, besides even Fujitora was not able to cut birdcage.

Although I agree about Nami and Robin, they are nothing but plot armors. Law's awakening is also plot armor.

Not denying everyone is magically getting stronger, but some of it can be explained.

I didn't forget. I mentioned that Luffy trained and learn ryou after Kaido defeated him. I also mentioned that Luffy tanked an attack that one shot him in gear 4 just one week or so prior. If all it took was one week to make this much progress then the story begins to fall apart logically. I.E Luffy completely tanking blast breath because of "guts". come on bro.

I think Luffy will win in Wano. The prophecy tied to Oden's dream of opening up after 20 years. Besides, there are so many other things that we need to see at this point that we can't do another 3-1/2 years with Kaido as the primary antagonist. He's honestly one of the least developed we've had in a while.

Sanji's COA haki leaves much to be desired IMO. if we look at his consistency then he should be fighting a toip roppo with the raid suit on and Jinbei should been fighting Queen. lets not forget, Page one rag-dolled him in the raid suit.

Fujitora not being able to cut the birdcage is one of the biggest misconceptions. He was holding back and there are statements proving it. Zero using enma makes some as far as it being an upgrade it was way too soon for him to wound Kaido. That feat should was way above what Zoro should have been capable of. case in point he is currently fighting King. Luffy could not even punch BM at the time he was first commander level in WCI.

StormKing1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

However chapter 1,000 rolls around and Luffy damages Kaido in his base form and tanks the attack that one shot him about a week ago all while in his base.

It was Gear 2 + Gear 3 + Ryou (which bypasses durability) to damage Kaido, not base. And it's explained he dodges the Thunder Bagua using Future Sight, so the attack only grazed him. Ryou muddies the scaling a bit because pre-conqueror's awakening, the AP of Luffy's attacks weren't substantially higher, he was hurting Kaido with hax.

Zoro who did not posses the haki to break Doffy's birdcage is now able to scar Kaido which has only ever been done one other time in his life despite confrontations with Roger, Garp and Shanks. Oh yeah every bone is Zoro's body was basically broken while he did it.

Enma + Ashura amp. We don't know how Ashura fully works just yet but if Zoro is subconsciously coating his attack in Conqueror's (which is shown to be a ridiculous buff), then I see no issue with this.

Sanji who probably could not defeat Vergo even with his WCI feats is now knocking Queen around somehow. I don't understand how the exoskeleton allows Sanji to do this when his siblings were so easily defeated in WCI.

Sanji was >> his siblings in WCI so it makes sense that the exoskeleton buffs his already high physicals to a higher degree than his siblings.

Against who? I feel it would've been a terrible matchup against Gladius (who she only played a support role against anyways), she wasn't in a high-diff fight until this arc and we know she can't spam the ability cause she's still defenseless several chapters later.

This is annoying but has been an ongoing gag with Usopp/Nami for the vast majority of the series. They've survived attacks they shouldn't for the entire series and this doesn't excuse it being bad writing but now feels like an arbitrary point to draw the line.

Kidd got thrashed by Kaido when he dropped on their hideout, before that shanks or his crew thrashed him now all of a Sudden Big Mom take a year off her life to deal with him and Law?

Kidd was ambushed by Kaido and came into these fights with prep, Law is the most egregious buff in all of Wano but even he can be kinda explained.

This was rushed. all this hype just for everyone to magically get stronger. I know someone is going to mention it but water 7 was different. The initial shock of robin's betrayal and the motivation for everyone to push themselves to the limit to get her back. it was different.

You don't think they're as motivated to fight a Yonko as they were to save Robin? They're not as panicked cause the crew is more experienced but I find the motivation to be the same.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enemybird said:

However chapter 1,000 rolls around and Luffy damages Kaido in his base form and tanks the attack that one shot him about a week ago all while in his base.

It was Gear 2 + Gear 3 + Ryou (which bypasses durability) to damage Kaido, not base. And it's explained he dodges the Thunder Bagua using Future Sight, so the attack only grazed him. Ryou muddies the scaling a bit because pre-conqueror's awakening, the AP of Luffy's attacks weren't substantially higher, he was hurting Kaido with hax.

Enma + Ashura amp. We don't know how Ashura fully works just yet but if Zoro is subconsciously coating his attack in Conqueror's (which is shown to be a ridiculous buff), then I see no issue with this.

Sanji was >> his siblings in WCI so it makes sense that the exoskeleton buffs his already high physicals to a higher degree than his siblings.

Against who? I feel it would've been a terrible matchup against Gladius (who she only played a support role against anyways), she wasn't in a high-diff fight until this arc and we know she can't spam the ability cause she's still defenseless several chapters later.

This is annoying but has been an ongoing gag with Usopp/Nami for the vast majority of the series. They've survived attacks they shouldn't for the entire series and this doesn't excuse it being bad writing but now feels like an arbitrary point to draw the line.

Kidd was ambushed by Kaido and came into these fights with prep, Law is the most egregious buff in all of Wano but even he can be kinda explained.

You don't think they're as motivated to fight a Yonko as they were to save Robin? They're not as panicked cause the crew is more experienced but I find the motivation to be the same.

LUFFY

Yes, Luffy was hurting Kaido. That's not the point I am making. What I am saying is Luffy went from basically having zero effect on a Yonko to being able to damage him in about one week. It was debatable whether Luffy could defeat Queen when he first went to prison. I remember what the narrative was at the time. Luffy jumped into a much higher echelon too quickly. He is currently fighting the strongest thing in the story after struggling to 1v1 everyone since Doffy. Yes, I understand he lost a few times but he is currently 1v1ing off panel. Sakazuki for an example stalemated all of WB's commanders. It's crazy to think that Luffy went from not being able to defeat one commander solidly to being as strong or possibly even stronger than Sakazuki in a single week. The Supreme Haki boost was massive, yes. the ryou haki boost was massive and yes, I understand it is an explanation but it sucks. It's like Dragon Ball Z.

ZORO

I see an issue with Zoro and the king's haki boost. Narratively its trash. Zoro went from zero showings with it to hurting Kaido. Take a moment to consider ALL the others with King's Haki. Ace, Doffy, Kuri, Shanks, BM, ROGER, GARP, ODEN etc. They all were stronger than Zoro and had better mastery with it than him. All of the sudden Zoro uses it to harm Kaido in his first showing? You do not see a problem with this in context? We got to see Luffy (and the others) develop their skills over time. Then at the final stretch they all just get MASSIVELY stronger? it sucks.

SANJI

Sanji should have fought Who's-Who and Jinbei should be fighting Queen. Page One rag dolled him in the raid suit already. Sanji could barely KO unguarded Luffy last arc. His mother taking drugs to prevent him from gaining superpowers yeah -lets just retcon that.

ROBIN

It's funny you call Black Maria a high diff fight when she was no diffed. Robin could've helped on flower hill when Kyros and Rebecca were getting harassed by Diamanté. She could've tried to help when Luffy was running for his life from Dofalmino instead of being useless.

There is technically an explanation for all these things. But the quality isnt there in how they're being introduced into the story.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's just how anime and manga work

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

One Piece characters have always progressively got stronger after each arc since the beginning.

This is nothing new. They train and get stronger when you don't see them off screen.

At least this time they are shown training.

LameLiarLeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People have already explained above why this is wrong

even if it wasn't so many Shonen have a power creep, often the last/newest arc

Bleach has TYBW, Naruto has its War Arc, FT has Alveraz, Mha has it's current arc, Fire Force with it's current arc

etc

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleach has TYBW, Naruto has its War Arc, FT has Alveraz, Mha has it's current arc, Fire Force with it's current arc

etc

Mannnn STHU.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

LameLiarLeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lameliarleo said:

etc

Mannnn STHU.

did i say something wrong?

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Enemybird

@wushu59:

Luffy went from being hilariously below Queen in base to somehow fighting on equal terms against Kaido in base. If you cannot see the issue with this then you dont understand scaling. These two events happened about two weeks apart. This is BS.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wushu59

@enemybird:

Narrativly, Queen is portrayed not that far apart from King who is giving Zoro a hard time. Both were clowning on Jack. They have Zoro/Sanji dynamic.

So Queen who has higher bounty then Katakuri being physically stronger base Luffy isn't bad. Luffy also revived a training boost by the end up the arc.

For Kaido rooftop fight

• Luffy knocked himself out, woke up and got stronger via haki increase.
  • Luffy fights 1 v 1 Kaido, does a better job but still gets knocked out cold
  • Luffy wakes up again and gets yet another haki increase and is now appearing to fight Kaido evenly

So the entire rooftop fight so far is actually consistent with what Raiyelgh initially said.

The longer Luffy fights against people stronger then himself, the stronger he becomes.

It's very similar to Goku's Zenkai Boost through direct combat

Pr03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enemybird: he didn't attack queen with conqueror's haki, plus it wasn't even a named attack.

Plus he is not on equal terms with Kaido and can never defeat Kaido. Just showing a little of conqueror clash doesn't make him equal to an emperor. Kaido is just letting Luffy attack him, and is going normal (neither easy nor hard) on him.

Even many of Scabbards were easily able to damage Kaido (in base form lol), doesn't mean they are equal to Kaido.

Even Yamato was shown to be able to damage Kaido, and it was looking like she was on equal terms with her, without even knowing CoC.

Kaido's just laughing at all their attacks.

I will agree with you when Kaido loses to Luffy 1v1, not now.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wushu59 said:

@enemybird:

Narrativly, Queen is portrayed not that far apart from King who is giving Zoro a hard time. Both were clowning on Jack. They have Zoro/Sanji dynamic.

So Queen who has higher bounty then Katakuri being physically stronger base Luffy isn't bad. Luffy also revived a training boost by the end up the arc.

For Kaido rooftop fight

• Luffy knocked himself out, woke up and got stronger via haki increase.
  • Luffy fights 1 v 1 Kaido, does a better job but still gets knocked out cold
  • Luffy wakes up again and gets yet another haki increase and is now appearing to fight Kaido evenly

So the entire rooftop fight so far is actually consistent with what Raiyelgh initially said.

The longer Luffy fights against people stronger then himself, the stronger he becomes.

It's very similar to Goku's Zenkai Boost through direct combat

The one piece scaling has never been analogous to dragon ball. The zenkai boost concept is just bad logic if it can cause this big of an increase in this short amount of time. Rayleigh should have just knocked Luffy out a couple times during the time skip so Luffy could raise his haki to Rayleigh's level in a couple weeks.

I get that characters get stronger over time. The idea that your haki gets stronger while facing certain people isn't bad either per se. Its all in how its done. In this case and even with Katakuri - it is was way too big of an increase and it causes bad logic.

COC boosting is now the new fad. Something that only the true God tier characters have used is now being thrown around too soon. Awakenings are happening off panel etc. It lessens the impact and just feels rushed.

Its like the nanomachine thing from MGS when they used it to explain EVERYTHING.

I am more than happy to eat crow if Oda manages to spin this into something amazing but im not feeling this.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wushu59

@enemybird:

The one piece scaling has never been analogous to dragon ball. The zenkai boost concept is just bad logic if it can cause this big of an increase in this short amount of time.

He's actually done this way back in Ennies Lobby

No Caption Provided

Rayleigh should have just knocked Luffy out a couple times during the time skip so Luffy could raise his haki to Rayleigh's level in a couple weeks.

lol. True.

Maybe it's more complex then that like. Like having to face actual danger naturally. Flower Boss was pretty essential in Luffy's recent growth

I get that characters get stronger over time. The idea that your haki gets stronger while facing certain people isn't bad either per se. Its all in how its done. In this case and even with Katakuri - it is was way too big of an increase and it causes bad logic.

COC boosting is now the new fad. Something that only the true God tier characters have used is now being thrown around too soon. Awakenings are happening off panel etc. It lessens the impact and just feels rushed.

Its like the nanomachine thing from MGS when they used it to explain EVERYTHING.

I am more than happy to eat crow if Oda manages to spin this into something amazing but im not feeling this.

That's fair.

It doesn't really bother me personally being a Dragon Ball nut but yeah, One Piece story getting from place A to place B tends to overshadow concrete power scaling.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Enemybird

@wushu59: I knew people were going to bring up water 7. I addressed that in my original post if you look at the final paragraph. It was definitely their morale that changed. A completely different circumstance from this. Also, water 7 started in 2004. for you to use that as an example of something that happens often is crazy.

That Zenkai boost Luffy got from Kuri doesn't even make sense when you think about it. How do you beat future sight into someone? lol Took my man years to develop future sight and Luffy just mastered it instantly.

Also, why does Luffy seem to be the only notable beneficiary from this "zenkai boost"? in DBZ it was a sayin thing. Everybody should be scaling toward one another when they fight. black maria should now be as strong as Robin and should no longer be able to be one shot. Same with Who's Who (this is the broken logic that i am talking about).

What would happen if Luffy continued to train or fight for another month at the pace he is currently progressing? He would surpass Roger.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sanji stated he was training Haki prior in recent chapter

No Caption Provided

Off screen training. lol

Binnk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I mean... Isn't this a thing in literally every shonen? Characters get stronger with each arc, it's not new lol

jurrian09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cringe

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's like despising things that improve when getting experience.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That's like despising things that improve when getting experience.

@binnk said:

I mean... Isn't this a thing in literally every shonen? Characters get stronger with each arc, it's not new lol

@mcflicky said:

That's just how anime and manga work