Unbiased Character Rating: Wolverine

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Unbiased Character Rating: Wolverine (51 votes)

1 0%
2 0%
3 0%
4 0%
5 4%
6 10%
7 4%
8 22%
9 27%
10 33%

How would you rate Wolverine as a character? Try your best to give the most impartial score possible. It's not an easy rating, especially if you're a fan of the character (or you can't stand the character).

Any reasoning for your rating is really appreciated, but not necessary.

No Caption Provided

Also, BIG THANKS to @johnbrief for inspiring these polls with his Rate Goku as a character thread (I'm sorry for taking so long to thank you, sir!):

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/rate-goku-as-a-character-2085677/

Previous Unbiased Character Rating Polls (I changed the title to "Unbiased" from "Objective" Based on Feedback. Thanks!):

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/unbiased-rating-batman-2086382/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/objective-rating-rate-spider-man-as-a-character-2086348/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/objective-rating-rate-superman-as-a-character-2086316/

• 
LowMageKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

10. I just really like the character.

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By skywalker95  Online

9 for me. Whilst I may not be a huge Logan fanboy like I used to be years ago, he still holds a special place in my heart.

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Combo-Man

I just love the concept and nature of the character. both blessed and cursed. gifted with extraordinary powers, but also the product of a cruel experiment; a good man tormented and turned into a killing machine, but he has such a strong sense of justice that he overcomes his past to do good. plus the claws are cool.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IndomitableRegal

9/10. Do one for Magneto, though...

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: I will, but first I have to get your two other favorite Marvel characters Captain America and Cyclops.

I'm kidding, but I have to get Cap before Magneto.

Now that I've got Dick Grayson in, I can bring in Joker.

Avatar image for deactivated-627d8daf1de25
deactivated-627d8daf1de25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

8.5/10

Mrsportsguy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 takenstew22  Moderator

8. One of the most badass Marvel characters.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9 god_spawn  Moderator

8-9 depending. I think Combo-Man said it real well why he is special. Logan as a character himself is great. He’s a man out of time in a sense, has grown to see the world evolve rapidly. He’s had a slightly messed up origin when first getting his claws so he has that dark origin. He’s been apart of every military group. Has been tortured, experimented on, betrayed, used, mind controlled, He has blood on his hands and he knows it.

Despite that he fights his very upbringing in being more than animal and a weapon. He’s been on almost every team, has done the dirty work plenty of times so other characters don’t have to. He’s tried not killing as much to show he’s more than that. He shows and his flaws. He’s shown that the animal wasn’t enough so he sought out teachers to be an even better fighter. He even forgets some stuff about fighting and has to relearn things. He fights on teams to show he can be a good guy.

He’s taken fatherly roles over characters like X-23, Jubilee, Kitty, Nightcrawler etc, has proven to be a great teacher in fighting and life lessons because he has made every mistake in the book And is the do as I say not as I do, learn from my mistakes. He has his sense of honor. He is the first on the front lines to protect those he cares about.

He’s lost lovers, killed his children, and knows that he is a monster but he continues to try and be the good man he wants to prove he can be.

Then just powerwise, he’s not too OP in stats and the healing factor has gotten to very high levels but sometimes that stuff is cool. And I may be against a popular opinion here, but Logans bone claws are awesome. He’s shown to have earned his skill as a fighter and while lazy at times, it shows he is flawed as a character and has to relearn stuff sometimes.

On the downside, I will say when they tried to add too much to his origin, it seems like he gets a new retcon every few years when he doesn’t need one and barely any of them stick. It’s made him messy at times. And the more modern era in the last 10 years or so when they had him do things like say he won’t kill anymore or talk down to Cyclops, when Wolverine was giving the holier than thou treatment and it came across as forced at times. I know the whole “Cyclops was evil and a murderer” etc was Marvel’s game plan for awhile but it fired back at them and hurt Logan IMO.

So I don’t want to discredit any of the bad stuff as well. But out of concept and development, Logan is a good character with a unique powerset at the time before Marvel made too many Logan like characters. Despite that, his rogue gallery is absolutely vicious and underrated IMO. Sabretooth, Gorgon, Daken, Omega Red, Lady Deathstrike, Shingen, Ogun, Lord Dark Wind etc. His stories are some of the best in comics. He’s a versatile character in that he can be a good team character or be better off alone. He has depth. He has flaws. He knows he has flaws but he tries to better himself. It’s just when Marvel tried to step too far out Logan’s already substantial box, I think it hurt him a bit.

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He sometimes gets silly moments and characterization.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you read comics in the 80s and 90s; you had to LOVE Wolverine. He found his way into EVERYTHING, and he was in the center of way more stories than he probably should have been. It took a long time for me to read anything with Wolverine for a long time; because I was so sick of him.

I didn't hate him as a character; but he was just exhaustingly overused. Especially seeing as he's never been a top 20 character for me.

Personally, I think he's okay. He can be very 1 dimensional a lot of the time. He makes for a great action character, and he's got this really dynamic background. But his personality is really flat to me. It's like every aspect of his character; but his actual character is great. I know I'm not in the majority; but that's how I feel.

Early era Deadpool (Circle of Trepadation, Deadpool self titled series 1 & 2, Cable & Deadpool) was more my style.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

7 Too many great writers have put in too much work for anything lower, though keep him lowkey in actual team books he should never been in leadership roles, no matter what Marvel thinks.

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

One of the most complex and tragic characters.

9/10.

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

8. One of the most badass Marvel characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbebaefdafae
deactivated-5fbebaefdafae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7. Good character only when he's alone.

JohnBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JohnBrief

10/10.

The best Marvel character, and one of the best characters of all time.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ghostodoofus2  Online

If I am to be truly unbiased, I'll withhold rating until I've read more.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By King_Saturn

Wolverine Rating

Stories I Have Read of the Character : 9.3 out of 10

Badass Element : 9.9 out of 10

Do They Have Cool Powers : 7.5 out of 10

Character in Video Games and Movies : 9.4 out of 10