Was Jesse Eisenberg too much of a beta to play Lex Luthor?

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ghostodoofus2  Online

Poll Was Jesse Eisenberg too much of a beta to play Lex Luthor? (26 votes)

Yes 73%
No 27%

Lex Luthor is an alpha male.

• 
Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100%

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I’d say so. Like I see what they were doing and going for with him, and even tho he still works as the villain of the film, that particular version of Lex just didn’t land.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ghostodoofus2  Online

@mazahs117: Glad someone agrees. Lex is supposed to be in great shape, speaks with a deep and commanding voice, is effortlessly intimidating with how articulate he is, and is assertive with everything he says. Lex has charisma that captivates all who bear witness of it, when he has something to say you cannot help but listen even if you disagree. Lex Luthor is an alpha male, full stop.

Eisenberg was unable to convincingly display that level of power over people.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. Lex is not a nebbish, Jewish manlet,

All the casting outside of Cavill and maybe Margot Robbie was abysmal in the "DCEU"

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#6 frozen  Moderator

@mazahs117: Glad someone agrees. Lex is supposed to be in great shape, speaks with a deep and commanding voice, is effortlessly intimidating with how articulate he is, and is assertive with everything he says. Lex has charisma that captivates all who bear witness of it, when he has something to say you cannot help but listen even if you disagree. Lex Luthor is an alpha male, full stop.

Eisenberg was unable to convincingly display that level of power over people.

So basically Jeff Bezos.

He got jacked:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Also:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghostodoofus2  Online

@frozen: I wonder if Bezos read Superman comics as a kid and decided he wants to be Lex Luthor unlike most boys who wanted to be Superman.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ghostodoofus2  Online

Eisenberg is a good actor and deserves credit for that, Lex just isn't for him.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This alpha beta male shit makes no sense at all, a while Eisenberg isn't a good Luthor being "alpha or beta" has nothing to do with it

Eisenberg is not only miscast in the role, he takes it in an entirely wrong direction. Lex shouldn't be a mumbling psycho, he's a charismatic genius

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@frozen: James McAvoy is also a good choice, at least better than Jesse

No Caption Provided

RudyGiuliani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heiqn said:

@frozen: James McAvoy is also a good choice, at least better than Jesse

No Caption Provided

He is not. We don't need twink lex luthor. We need a guy with muscles and presence.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghostodoofus2  Online

@rudygiuliani: Yeah, McAvoy is also a middleweight manlet. We need a light-heavyweight or cruiserweight for Lex at least.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13 krisbishop  Moderator
RudyGiuliani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 krisbishop  Moderator

@rudygiuliani: James McAvoy may lack height, but he is pretty well built. He's certainly no "twink". Or perhaps you have a deluded sense of male bodies.

LightorDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eisenberg wouldn’t have been my first choice, but the end scene with his shaved head made him look really Luthor-y.

I can see what was attempted to be done with the character if the verse had continued. He easily could have hardened and shifted his demeanor. It would still be hard to buy with Eisenberg, but not impossible.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ghostodoofus2  Online

@krisbishop: Still a middleweight. Lex should have the body of a 6'2 cruiserweight.

Nothing against McAvoy, he's a fantastic actor and can play the character better than Eisenberg but still not my ideal Luthor.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 krisbishop  Moderator

@ghostodoofus2: For sure, he wouldn't be my ideal pick either. He's smaller in stature.

RudyGiuliani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RudyGiuliani
@krisbishop said:

@rudygiuliani: James McAvoy may lack height, but he is pretty well built. He's certainly no "twink". Or perhaps you have a deluded sense of male bodies.

My sense of male bodies is not deluded. He looks shredded in those pics you've posted but does not have the presence and musculature one would see on Luthor or the likes of batman from the comics. Luthor's physique would be in keeping with what we see of male action heroes.

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_wspanialy  Online

Eisenberg is a good actor and deserves credit for that, Lex just isn't for him.

advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krisbishop said:

My sense of male bodies is not deluded. He looks shredded in those pics you've posted but does not have the presence and musculature one would see on Luthor or the likes of batman from the comics. Luthor's physique would be in keeping with what we see of male action heroes.

McAvoys face tbh is kind of twink, too gentle/feminine.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 krisbishop  Moderator
advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krisbishop: Yeah he dresses up as a woman, definitely feminine face, not masculine like Dwayne the Rock.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 krisbishop  Moderator

@advent_: He's supposed to be feminine in that persona lmao, did you see him as the Beast? That's far from feminine.

advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By advent_

@krisbishop: His face is still feminine tho, ignored everything neck down and he just looks like an angry fem boy.

McAvoy just doesn't have rough features like other actors it's not a bad thing but it's hard to picture him in macho roles better than actors who already do macho roles.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 krisbishop  Moderator

@advent_: I'm not saying he has a very masculine face or anything, but calling it feminine is pretty wrong too.

ignored everything neck down and he just looks like an angry fem boy

Now I'm genuinely curious if you've ever seen a feminine face irl.

Avatar image for miguelcervantes
MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Angry femboy LOL

advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Jesse doesn't have too much range in his acting. He always seems to play some guy that speaks spastically. I'mma vote "no" because Jesse isn't a beta by any means, lol. He just didn't fit the role.

Also, lmfao at the moron that thinks McAvoy is a twink. He looked like a tank in Glass.

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@advent_ said:
said:
said:

James McAvoy may lack height, but he is pretty well built. He's certainly no "twink". Or perhaps you have a deluded sense of male bodies.

McAvoys face tbh is kind of twink, too gentle/feminine.

L take

Xebec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Absolutely. Lex is not a nebbish, Jewish manlet,

All the casting outside of Cavill and maybe Margot Robbie was abysmal in the "DCEU"

ehh?

my opinion = fax

ur opinion = creditless

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man the "alpha and beta" stuff is nonsense lmao. The problem was that he acted too much like Riddler, goofy and crazy and not serious at all.

KingLouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By adamTRMM

Yeah, a completely unseen idea too...

No Caption Provided

Not to say that this would be my pick, but acting as if this Lex was otherworldly is quite laughable.

My pick would be either Billy Zane or Mark Strong. Either would be perfect, and the whole erratic sociopath Lex Zuckerberg stage was 100% unnecessary. Lex and Clark work best in a contrast - Superman is the imaginary, escapist idea of power, and Lex is a realistic, hard one. He should be stoic, brilliant and well connected bigwig, no pun, that knows how to play chess with people as pawns.

goldeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesse's Lex reminded me more of what Lex Luthor's son would be like after his father spent his whole life ignoring him.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ghostodoofus2  Online

@adamtrmm: While I don't recognise every panel, I know all of these are pics of Lex in his late teens to early 20s. I recognise the bottom panel from the Superman: Birthright comic when Clark was first exposed to Kryptonite.

It'd make sense to cast him to play the younger Lex but prime Lex is anything but that. Eisenberg's a good actor but he's not an alpha, he can't hide his underdeveloped, unmanly voice nor grow any bigger than he is.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By ProfessorRespect
@superdarth said:

Man the "alpha and beta" stuff is nonsense lmao. The problem was that he acted too much like Riddler, goofy and crazy and not serious at all.

Pretty much. I don't really get the "muh alpha" criticism when Lex isn't supposed to be this imposing figure, all of his threat comes from his intellect and ability to get whatever he wants whenever he wants it without much care of what he runs over in the process. He's the opposite of muscularity if anything, he's not someone who's strong and his petty jealousy of Superman will always fuck him over in the end mentally, he's weak minded if anything despite his obvious intellect because he doesn't realise that despite Clark besting him again and again. Eisenberg plays the same role in every movie he does, goofy and crazy; it's his trademark. Doesn't work for Luthor.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Lex more of a sigma male? 🤔🤔

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghostodoofus2  Online

@gaoron: Lex is a glory hound, sigmas don't crave attention like him.

warrior8411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krisbishop: maybe he's implying McAvoy is less intimidating and villanous with his cute face.. If that makes sense..

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great daily dose of CV losers still existing lol.

KingCosmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KingCosmos

Great daily dose of the cringe lords who didn't get enough attention from parents

OT: What's this alpha and beta male bs LOL

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superdarth said:

Pretty much. I don't really get the "muh alpha" criticism when Lex isn't supposed to be this imposing figure, all of his threat comes from his intellect and ability to get whatever he wants whenever he wants it without much care of what he runs over in the process. He's the opposite of muscularity if anything, he's not someone who's strong and his petty jealousy of Superman will always fuck him over in the end mentally, he's weak minded if anything despite his obvious intellect because he doesn't realise that despite Clark besting him again and again. Eisenberg plays the same role in every movie he does, goofy and crazy; it's his trademark. Doesn't work for Luthor.

They might be coming off the animated series Luthor? I know he was jacked. All things considered, I absolutely hate this gatekeepy attitude of this alpha, beta crap.

There are certainly better ways to say Luthor was miscast.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't call Lex a beta. He was pretty dominant over his enemies. Incel would probably be more appropriate but then again he wasn't really trying to score with chicks.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was simply miscast

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I don't recognise every panel, I know all of these are pics of Lex in his late teens to early 20s. I recognise the bottom panel from the Superman: Birthright comic when Clark was first exposed to Kryptonite.

It'd make sense to cast him to play the younger Lex but prime Lex is anything but that. Eisenberg's a good actor but he's not an alpha, he can't hide his underdeveloped, unmanly voice nor grow any bigger than he is.

Yeah this is Birthright. He doesn't look like he even has potential to be Alpha does he? lol

Again, I'm not saying Jesse was a good choice, but if he'd bulk up a little after getting bald, develop a more stoic personality, keep maturing into a colder, more recognizable "form" we're familiar with, that could be an organic and maybe even satisfying character growth. As for the voice, he isn't supposed to be Kratos/Keith David type, a little bit of deepening actor exercises, he could pass.

Still, if it was me, I'd have him in his 40s-early 50s, seasoned and accomplished real life powerhouse, whose "ideological" discord would be based on the definition of power, as if Superman is that unworthy simpleton who doesn't deserve it because he doesn't know how hard "the fittest" work for power to be theirs. And that's why Lex would want to break him to prove that point, instead of this whole god complex extravaganza. Which wasn't that bad too, but it's more out-there than what I think works even better.