Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Why does Netflix characters never show in the MCU movies or vice versa? Your thoughts?

• 55 results
    sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

As the title says.

So... wtf Marvel?

What do you think that Marvel's movies seem clearly separate from the Net Flix shows, and why is it seemingly impossible to have a character or actor from the films visit the show, or vice versa? What excuse is there for not trying to bolster awareness for one or the other?

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

-_- the condition that Hell's Kitchen is in a the beginning of daredevil is because of the battle of New York (avengers 1) wrecking it

Ben Urich had a newspaper article about the hulk fight in Harlem

The woman and her husband that tries to kill Jessica jones is because a loved one died in an avengers battle (can't remember if it was avengers 1 or 2)

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zaied

I read somewhere that due to scheduling issues and the fact that Feige doesn't oversee the MCU TV shows is why Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones haven't been in any of the films and vice versa. Daredevil and Kingpin would make a lot of sense for Homecoming but we might not see any of them until Infinity War. Feige has stated he expects to see them crossover, though.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shows like Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix Marvel shows exist in a universe where the events of the films occur, but the films in practice exist in a universe where the events of the shows are not acknowledged, so could well not have happened.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@mike_fowler: yes, vague references. I was discussing why we have no actor crossovers or cameos mate.

Thank you for pointing out what I said already though.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: please re read the OP before posting the obvious.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

ike perlmutter

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/09/marvel-studios-ike-perlmutter-kevin-feige

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ike needs to go...Fiege puts one of his homies in his place. Then the movies will connect with the TV shows.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By w0nd

@sirfizzwhizz:

@mike_fowler said:

-_- the condition that Hell's Kitchen is in a the beginning of daredevil is because of the battle of New York (avengers 1) wrecking it

Ben Urich had a newspaper article about the hulk fight in Harlem

The woman and her husband that tries to kill Jessica jones is because a loved one died in an avengers battle (can't remember if it was avengers 1 or 2)

vice versa i think what op meant is why they aren't mentioned in the movies.

"have no presence, or mention word in the movies."

they aren't mentioned in the movies, but there is no real reason to mention them

also there is this http://screenrant.com/marvel-studios-movies-tv-shows-rivalry-joss-whedon/

“I think actually the movie people were a little bit cross about the TV show. They were sort of like ‘Well you can have this but not this. And this but not that.’ It’s complicated enough as it is without me adding another layer of complication. We also created a TV show called S.H.I.E.L.D. right before they made a movie where they destroyed S.H.I.E.L.D.. So everybody’s having a GREAT time!”

So it sounds like to me, that the movies are being as cooperative as possible, but if the show does something that screws over the movies canon they won't acknowledge it. They will give them a heads up what they are doing in the movies, and it's the shows job to make sure their show doesn't cause any plotholes, and if it does then too bad. Like the downfall of shield in Cap 2

Coulson not being dead. I am sorry but he would inform them he is alive, they wouldn't just gloss over it

"Regarding the subject of Coulson, Whedon has maintained throughout his press tour that as far as the movies go, the agent remains deceased because of what that emotionally means for the Avengers team – and that the films are made for audiences that see only those projects of the franchise. Theoretically, this means that a viewer can go into each Marvel feature with limited knowledge of the TV shows and still enjoy it."

Daredevil, Luke, Cage, and J.J. don't really have to worry about continuity because they are small potatoes at the moment, but a show like shield you have to be careful with.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rogueshadow  Moderator

@lukehero said:

Ike needs to go...Fiege puts one of his homies in his place. Then the movies will connect with the TV shows.

Yup.

Guy needs to go anyway, he's just an arsehole.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course they are just like Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter is.

Would I like if the movies acknowledged them more? Yes, but it's understandable why they don't given the quick filming compared to the films and they don't want to force people into watching 3 Seasons of Agents of SHIELD, 2 Seasons of Agent Carter, 2 Seasons of Daredevil, and a Season of Jessica Jones to understand something that's going on in the films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
    deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are all part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@Feartheliving: I'm not saying the films and show should have connecting plot. I wonder why simple cross overs, and characters, or actors cannot make a cameo, or do anything in said film or show.

They are all part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Yes, I know that, herpy derp, not the question.

threefacerobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I don't think that so far, anything that has happened in AoS or the Netflix shows is relevant to anything that's happened in the films.

Obviously the films have had a major impact on the shows, but there's no reason for Matt Murdock to show up in Civil War, or for Cap to show up in Jessica Jones.

I am confused as to why there's hasn't been any TV crossovers, Jessica Jones should have appeared in DD season 2. Luke Cage showed up as a backdoor pilot in Jessica Jones. I think the first crossover should be Daredevil in Homecoming, as it would make the most sense.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Just more difficult like they've said. The way TV is shot compared to films is a lot more quick paced so by the time a movie is coming out a show could be doing something completely different, there is also the different style in tones to account for, and that they don't want to alienate audiences by perhaps making a 13 hour show a necessity to get something. Which is why we see a lot of minor connections to the films and not much to the shows from the movies.

Movies are treated as the norm. As in your more likely to have watched the bigger tent pole films then you are a show that spans a lot longer and requires more time invested. I mean even from show to show the references have been minor (at least until Defenders) with a supporting character being brought on (Claire Temple or Jeri Hogarth), a faction appearing on two shows (Dogs of Hell). The show with the most influence by the movies are Agents of SHIELD because they were/are a more global operation there fore what's going on in the films have a greater impact. Something that happens in Sokovia isn't really going to affect Daredevil and someone like Daredevil is small potatoes to the grandness that's happening in the films.

I don't doubt that they'll eventually work something out to get these characters to appear in the films in some manner but right now it's still the frontier for this sort of thing. That being said the MCU has been pretty good so far things considering at building a world. They even have that fake news studio reporting on all aspects of the Marvel Universe (both movies and shows) along with getting movie characters on shows even if they are more minor characters. (President Ellis, Gideon Malick, Sif, Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Coulson, etc)

So yeah there isn't anything like the MCU going on with any other franchise so it's gonna take some ironing out before it's perfect nor do I blame them for not trying to rush it. I mean if they did that it could end up hurting both the films and the shows. As a fan of course I want to see it happen though :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't fit at this point. They aren't part of shield or the avengers so really they have no business in the movies. It's not like the Sokovia accords involved them. Maybe it would make sense for them to be in Infinity Wars since the threat will likely be worldwide

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: @jayc1324: that still does not explain why Iron Man cannot be seen flying the background of JJ, or Matt Murdock pops up as a lawyer to appear as say buckysattorney, but then leaves.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're making a universe, not a shared continuous story line.

Every event isn't going to be relevant or directly related to every MCU character/show.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@dbvse7: ugggh is anyone reading the op? You do not need to be part of the story line to make a appereances. Cameos work too. Like Falcon vs Antman, did that need to happen from story plot for Antman? Nope. Still worked and fun to watch.

I'm asking why this has not happen, nothing about interwoven story arcs.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FearTheLiving

@sirfizzwhizz: Well firstly it's expensive for Iron Man to just "show up" flying in the background unless you want a significant downgrade in effects. And would you want the first meet-up between Matt and the movie characters to be a tiny cameo that doesn't even really acknowledge him?

Also if he was Bucky's lawyer that would be a pretty big case for a small time lawyer in Hell's Kitchen. Which could have a major impact on the Daredevil show. So no it wouldn't just be a small cameo to leave it at that.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lettsplay10

they will one day i hope they appear in avengers 3 since thanos is a danger to the whole universe with the infinity gauntlet

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: I think it has to do with being casual. By keeping the movies their own thing, John Q. Noncomicfan can enjoy them and doesn't need to do his "homework" to understand everything. It's very easy to keep up with the films.

However if you add in AoS, DD, JJ and forthcoming properties, on any real level, you force the viewer to either get caught up on those properties or risk missing out. Anything beyond an easter egg risks this. My feeling is that Marvel has decided to tack on the shows to the movies for those who want to see everything, but not the inverse. They are having their cake and eating it too.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: yeah, Bucky case is too big after the Punisher case. Uh huh.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Punisher is small time compared to the Avengers world threats. Also Punisher literally just happened this season and even then Foggy did most of the defending and they lost.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By w0nd

@sirfizzwhizz said:

@Feartheliving: @jayc1324: that still does not explain why Iron Man cannot be seen flying the background of JJ, or Matt Murdock pops up as a lawyer to appear as say buckysattorney, but then leaves.

because of the previous answer I gave. They don't give a crap what the netflix series are doing. They are okay with them being around, but if they get hit in the fact with their big d*cks swinging when they walk by then that's their own fault.

ugggh is anyone reading the op? You do not need to be part of the story line to make a appereances. Cameos work too. Like Falcon vs Antman, did that need to happen from story plot for Antman? Nope. Still worked and fun to watch.

I'm asking why this has not happen, nothing about interwoven story arcs.

lol yes! I gave you links and quotes...I can find more if you need them.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Sure the contents difference factors in. The movies are supposed to be family friendly so marvel/disney doesn't want the grittier heroes showing up too much in them.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: that makes a lot of sense, but then you must ask yourself, why bother saying the shows are connected to the films? You can cut out the connection and nothing's changes. Even the "minor" destruction of the city or alien battle in Avengers 1 is tacked on and not a major factor.

It's dumb.

herewegoagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By herewegoagain

@sirfizzwhizz: I was going to say the same thing that was already posted. They already announced they want the movies to just focus on themselves at the moment, only mentioning them would go against what they said.

They really shouldn't have said "they are all connected" and then changed their minds

herewegoagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By herewegoagain

@sirfizzwhizz said:

@Feartheliving: yeah, Bucky case is too big after the Punisher case. Uh huh.

Punisher murdered gang members that stuck to new york.

Bucky on the other hand..he's been murdering shield agents, was a russian soldier, and then supposedly caused a terrorist attack in wakanda, which ended up causing the king of the nation to be killed along side many other diplomatic leaders.

you think Foggy and Nelson would have taken that case? They didn't even have money. What reason would they be qualified to handle that case in cap and bucky's eye? Because they took down a fatman in a suit one time?

I think it's still a little out of their league unfortunately. And an international offense...it happened on African soil....

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kcomicfan

@sirfizzwhizz: The op is worded poorly, so I answered your question as best as I can.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@kcomicfan said:

@sirfizzwhizz: The op is worded poorly, so I answered your question as best as I can.

Thats fine.

I re worded it.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Thor-Parker

It should be pretty obvious, people who don´t watch the shows would be confused, the MCU movies are made so everyone can understand them without having to watch other material.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be pretty obvious, people who don´t watch the shows would be confused, the MCU movies are made so everyone can understand them without having to watch other material.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it will happen eventually but the politics at Marvel haven`t been the greatest lately when it comes to Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think it will happen eventually but the politics at Marvel haven`t been the greatest lately when it comes to Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios.

Really?

quantum-savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Universe's are definitely connected but the characters wouldn't be able to mix into one anothers movies/shows. movie atmosphere being P-13 and Netflix originals being R ,it just wouldn't work.And on top of that Daredevil and J Jones probably wouldn't be to useful teaming up with the Avengers or whatever and on top of that too , DareDevil would definitely need a new costume.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why should they?

Netflix is doing a great job referencing the rest of the MCU without taking away it's own authenticity.

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Netflix Marvel makes many comments on the MCU. I think it'd because they are street level characters and publicly unknown.

Punisher could get chased down.

DD is a recent Avenger but the difference in the comics and the show is his level of acrobatics and deadly use of the billyclub. Still he could be a MCU Avenger in a big fight(considering Hawkeye/Widow/Falcon).

Jessica is not refined as a fighter and depose red in the show.

Luke doesn't have his strength and a degree of his duribilty is done, although I also figured even invulnerable body should be KO'D by a shaken brain.

They could be Avengers but just aren't on the map. It's either your a highly specialized SHIELD Agent/soldier or a God(even Ant Man is a God amongst regular people).

Hey seeing Capt New Avengers are the depowered Avengers I would love to see that group of solider/agent Capt lead team in comics. He really doesn't hold his own book. Capt SHEILD/Avengers.

Capt

Falcon

Bucky

Widow(wish the movies showed she had serum too)

Hawkeye

Patriot

Demolition Man

Union Jack

with some Punisher showings.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364: @quantum-savage: @kasino: Why should Netflix be MCU at all if they wont, or as some of you say have no need to crossover? Why not make them stand alone films like Spider Man, X-Men, ect?

quantum-savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because these characters(Daredevil and Jessica Jones, soon Luke Cage , Iron Fist and Punisher) movies wouldn't sell or make money like other MCU movies would due to popularity and past failure *cough cough Daredevil. And a show give more producers more space to work with 13 hours instead of a movies window of 2+ hours and on top of that Marvel almost always has a darker undertone for these characters that Marvel couldn't risk in a R Rated movie

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Writers have already addressed this. It's because it's extremely difficult to synchronize the stories of the shows to the film.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364: @quantum-savage: @kasino: Why should Netflix be MCU at all if they wont, or as some of you say have no need to crossover? Why not make them stand alone films like Spider Man, X-Men, ect?

Personally I feel Netflix MCU should be a stand alone Universe. The Netflix MCU has manage to capture the exquisiteness and authenticity of such unique charcters, without making it cheesy. MCU films have not. MCU films have consistently traded quality for quantity.

Even Winter Soldier and Civil War, while both incredible movies even they fall victim to unnecessary quantity.

quantum-savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364: I think that's the beauty of it , showing that there are smaller problems than Chitari and Thanos in the gritty never shown parts of the MCU movie half , the more down to earth grime that pg-13 can't show

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the way it is now.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they need to take their time.

and have them meet at a natural way.

shoving them in with each other = rushing

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By SoA

i would think the movie characters would eclipse the netflix ones, no one is going to care much of the plot in daredevil season 3 if iron man is shown blasting a bad guy and flying off. they are heard in news reports and small talk in between fight scenes. that's good enough for me

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By christianrapper

it's really an easy answer. first of all it would be really expensive to have a mcu character in a netflix show. also, it would be impossible to have the writing sync up. the movies are shot one to 2 years before any netflix shows are shot.

Drumgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't need to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.