Follow

Thanos

Character » Thanos appears in 1260 issues.

An Eternal with the Deviant gene, making him unique and extremely powerful, even amongst his own kind. Above all else, Thanos loves and worships Mistress Death. Few can equal his intelligence, strength, and ambition for power. Thanos has wielded the Cosmic Cube, the Infinity Gauntlet, and even the Heart of the Universe.

Awesome Toy Picks: Thanos 1:6 Scale Figure from Hot Toys

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the package. This week's installment is for the serious collector and for the big fans of the character. We're going to take a close look at Thanos from the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Check out our unboxing video to fully see the figure in action, including the all the lights.

This figure is part of the Movie Masterpiece line from Hot Toys and is available for pre-order at Sideshow Collectibles. The box is massive and has a weight of over fifteen pounds.

What really makes this character stand out (and require such a huge box) is his throne. In the movies, Thanos has spent most of his time sitting on his throne. Some assembly is obviously required but the LED lights really adds a nice touch to the figure.

No Caption Provided

The only downside of these lights is the on/off switch is located within the battery compartments on each piece. That means you have to unscrew each compartment in order to turn the lights on or off.

Here's a close shot of the LED lights underneath. They're small, but they're pretty powerful.

No Caption Provided

The floating throne does attach to a base with Thanos' name. Despite the weight and the heft of it all, it is a sturdy display. You won't have to worry about it falling unless you knock it over.

No Caption Provided

Thanos looks pretty regal sitting on his throne. You can see his attitude oozing from the sculpt.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The figure has over 20 points of articulation. His head can move down and side to side for more possibilities with display positions.

The figure comes with two sets of hands. He has a pair of opened palms and a pair of fists.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The armor looks great. There is also articulation on the legs, knees, and ankles. His feet won't sit flat on the floor when he's sitting. This does give it a more natural look. There's also detail in the treads underneath his boots.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Even from behind, the Thanos looks like he's plotting a grand scheme.

No Caption Provided

The figure can stand perfectly on its own. It does come with a separate piece of the lower body armor for the standing position.

No Caption Provided

Whether Thanos is sitting or standing, he looks very menacing. The look of the armor is very impressive.

No Caption Provided

You have plenty of options with how to put the figure on display.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I've seen some figures with less detail on the back. That's not the case here. They've captured the look of Thanos' armor from all angles.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thanos is a great character in the comics. He'll have a bigger role in the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe films.

No Caption Provided

This figure is obviously for serious collectors. The figure is expected to ship in January 2016. So it should be any time now. You can pre-order it here:

http://bit.ly/getthanos

Because of the size of the throne and lights, this figure will cost you $414.99. It's massive and has a really good heft to it. As a huge Thanos fan, this is a pretty epic figure.

No Caption Provided

Let us know what you think of the figure. Be sure you watch the unboxing video to see the lights.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
    rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Looks amazing but I'd rather spend the money on comic books first than on expensive figures like these. How about you @g_man? Wait they give you free figures to review on right?

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

$414.99

Outrageous.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What is a "serious collector" exactly?

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

415 dollars? That's more then an entire Ethiopian village earns in a year.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for germancomicidiot
    GermanComicIdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

looksgoodman.jpg

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Not all of us are living in a basement with long boxes and cases with Bowen Statues. Some of us have responsibilities. Comics are expensive. Now they want to push overpriced licensed action figures.

A serious collector is someone who has zero responsibilities other than themselves. A 400 dollar action figure? Just stupid. Even if I did have that kind of money, you really think I am spending 400 dollars on Thanos?

No Caption Provided

I'm sorry, I missed the part where you were forced to buy it. People need to remember that these are Sixth Scale figures, which means this figure is 15" tall. 15" with that amount of detail and articulation amounts to a lot of money. Don't feel it's worth it? Don't get it. But there are some people who this is a major hobby of theirs, and these figures are something that they feel are worth it. Keep in mind that many people spend this amount of money (or more) on stuff like paintings and other decorations. Quality stuff is expensive, no matter what the hobby.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Also this figure really lets you appreciate how freaking awesome the MCU Thanos is. They did one hell of a job with his design.

Avatar image for sir_lucious_pennyworth
    Sir_Lucious_Pennyworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: Never said I was forced to buy anything. I had an opinion and I gave it. End of story. You are more than free to disagree but I think it is a waste of money.

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheValiant

@sir_lucious_pennyworth said:

@drellassassin: Never said I was forced to buy anything. I had an opinion and I gave it. End of story. You are more than free to disagree but I think it is a waste of money.

You could make that same argument for every single thing you purchase that is not required to live.

Someone living in their basement with a ton of long boxes? Probably not going to be buying $400 figures. Someone with a family who makes mediocre wages? Probably not going to buy this for $400.

Those of us with solid income and the ability to indulge ourselves? Perfect item. These aren't mass-produced. Joey Commondude who has issues making ends meet, this is not for you. Johnny Gotsdacash? All in. Before you get all salty like you did with the last guy: I'm just countering your opinion with my opinion and elaborating on the holes in your argument with context.

I pre-ordered this when it was first announced, cant wait to get mine to go with my other Sideshow and Hot Toys collectables.

ObiWanKevobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could make that same argument for every single thing you purchase that is not required to live.

Someone living in their basement with a ton of long boxes? Probably not going to be buying $400 figures. Someone with a family who makes mediocre wages? Probably not going to buy this for $400.

Those of us with solid income and the ability to indulge ourselves? Perfect item. These aren't mass-produced. Joey Commondude who has issues making ends meet, this is not for you. Johnny Gotsdacash? All in. Before you get all salty like you did with the last guy: I'm just countering your opinion with my opinion and elaborating on the holes in your argument with context.

I pre-ordered this when it was first announced, cant wait to get mine to go with my other Sideshow and Hot Toys collectables.

Not to mention all the work that goes into the production of these figures. You have to pay the guy who sculpted, the guy who painted it. Production costs for these figures is quite a bit. They're limited, they need to get a good mold. And these high end figures and their creators love to mold the pieces while also trying to hide the seams. It's a lot of thinking and creativity that goes into making these.

Still personally too much to spend for me.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I couldn't justify spending 400 on this, but man, it look OUTSTANDING!

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheValiant

@nova29 said:
    @thevaliant said:

Not to mention all the work that goes into the production of these figures. You have to pay the guy who sculpted, the guy who painted it. Production costs for these figures is quite a bit. They're limited, they need to get a good mold. And these high end figures and their creators love to mold the pieces while also trying to hide the seams. It's a lot of thinking and creativity that goes into making these.

Still personally too much to spend for me.

Which is a totally reasonable response to this, as opposed to "lets throw stones in our house of glass" judgmental statements made by others. Heck, my ability to buy one or two of these types of things a year is not something I could do in my mid-twenties, and I am fortunate to be a non-breader :)

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It all just depends where you want to put your money. I pay 65 bucks a month for my phone plan. Theoretically I could just not have a smart phone pay 20 a month for a to go phone and redirect some of that money to saving up for a 300+ dollar statue.

Personally I preordered the Ultron statue last year ($350) and paid it off over many months, but I never broke my set monthly spending budget. I simply redirected a certain portion of my budget to the figure.

Yeah the figure cost a lot, but in all honesty I bet the money would have been spent on other non essential expenses had I not pre ordered it in the first place.

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like my 18.99 Marvel Select Thanos

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

@thevaliant said:

Wow you sound lame.

If you were really that rich you would have a sculpture made by one of the many famous Thanos artists.

This item makes very little sense and will not resell for any sort of profit.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Of course he's expensive. He's Thanos.

dontevenblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Thanos actually gets off his lazy butt and can move around?!?!? :O

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

The figure looks great and all but that throne looks massively uncomfortable!

Thanos need a little butt cushion and some lumbar support.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevaliant: while I agree with your argument that this really isn't for everyone, your comment is very condescending. You're basically saying that anyone who doesn't want to buy this figure is too broke to afford it. Not to mention the "I make more money than you" tone.

It's a brilliant figure. That's a fact. But there's no need to be condescending to people who feel it's (too) expensive.

SkullKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the classical jazz in the background

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevaliant: while I agree with your argument that this really isn't for everyone, your comment is very condescending. You're basically saying that anyone who doesn't want to buy this figure is too broke to afford it. Not to mention the "I make more money than you" tone.

It's a brilliant figure. That's a fact. But there's no need to be condescending to people who feel it's (too) expensive.

Its a difficult thing to counter a condescending argument without yourself sounding condescending, so I apologize for the tone. People seem to read into my statements as "I have more money than you" which is not what I was trying to say. I was simply pointing out that the consumer market for items such as this isn't for everyone.

I'm not rich, but I have a comfortable enough life and the ability to indulge myself in stuff like this. I don't own a fancy sports car, but at the same time I don't see people driving high-priced cars on the road and immediately jump to "wow, what a waste of money!" Hypocrisy knows no limits, as a lot of the same people would be more than willing to drop $5 a week on coffee every morning from Starbucks, or drop $100 on a dinner for the family.

Look at the arguments: "This item makes little sense" or "Not all of us are living in a basement with long boxes and cases with Bowen Statues. Some of us have responsibilities" as if you have any sort of responsibility, you couldn't possibly own something like this.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stellar421

@thevaliant: Ah, I see. I am indeed one of the folks who misinterpreted your comment, then. I apologize. Now that I have a better idea of what you mean, I agree. Stuff like this, so detailed and limited, it's gonna have a hefty price tag. And for good reason. You're right about the sports car thing, I guess on some level people see a sports car as having more use than a 15" figurine. Although it indeed comes down to the same thing. I also agree that we should be able to indulge ourselves from time to time. If not, what are we working for? Slavery's been abolished for ages, man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.