Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8882 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Describe Wonder Woman's personality

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I want to start reading the New 52 Wonder Woman series, but I haven't been able to convince myself to pick it up yet, because Wonder Woman is just not a character who I've ever found interesting. Granted I've never actually read any of her solo series before, but everything I've seen her in, she just seems really drab and kind of without a personality. I know a lot of people love her, so I was wondering... what makes her interesting to you?

Ludo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ludo

Maybe is the fact she comes from a totally different culture, she has lived all her life in some sort of golden cage, suddenly she decided to leave the comfort of her own home to explore the world and the mankind.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WDW

@Imagine_Man15 said:

I want to start reading the New 52 Wonder Woman series, but I haven't been able to convince myself to pick it up yet, because Wonder Woman is just not a character who I've ever found interesting. Granted I've never actually read any of her solo series before, but everything I've seen her in, she just seems really drab and kind of without a personality. I know a lot of people love her, so I was wondering... what makes her interesting to you?

You never read a Wonder Woman solo book so what is "everything else you seen" consist of? Justice league comics crossover events? you are not going to really get anything interesting from Wonder Woman personality ETC if that's the case. Same goes for Batman Superman ETC if you disregard all there movies and solo comics and just know them from comic book crossovers.

I don't think anyone wants to waste time posting what they like about Wonder Woman for someone who has not bothered reading even one book. :P

The best thing to do is START with the NEW 52 Wonder Woman #1 and go from there if you don't like it and don't want to continue then drop it. She basically the same Wonder Woman as always but her environment has changed. Most every review I have read so far rates it among the best of the new 52 comics including Superman Flash and arguably others.

I hope you enjoy Wonder Woman if you decide to get it.

FlagSister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FlagSister

PRE-DC_52 Wonder Woman for the most part was not allowed to have a personality or make mistakes. She was never allowed to be anything but Wonder Woman. So far the new DC 52 has managed to give her some personality however I need to read more issues before I can define her character.

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brettjett

@Imagine_Man15: For a complete personality profile, check that section in my reference piece"Who is WW?" here:

https://viewer.zoho.com/docs/ndcOke

http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4182&p=18256#p18256.

But basically...She is a big kid inside...a big kid with a sense of responsible duty, becuz she LOVES. Becuz she values the tenets of Aphrodite. Furthermore, she is the most organic, human, and quirky Amazon. WW's archetype personality was the basis for other female protagonists...such as La Femme Nikita or Buffy. Each one of those protagonists were the "oddball" out of the group they belong to, be it superspies or slayers or whatever else.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@Imagine_Man15 said:

Wonder Woman- Diana's nickname--the Amazon Princess--illustrates the beautiful dichotomy of her character. She's a powerful, strong-willed woman who would never back down from a fight or a challenge, but she's also a lover of peace who would never seek a fight or a conflict. She's simultaneously both the most fierce and most nurturing member of the team.With her powerful abilities and vast training, Diana is capable of going toe-to-toe with just about any hero or villain. She's also experienced at handling threats that range from common crime to crimes that are of a magical or supernatural nature. She commands respect both as Wonder Woman and Diana Prince, the ambassador of a warrior nation. She's got political connections that could be useful to the Justice League, and she's exactly who you want with you in the trenches.

http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league-of-america/65-31815/the-essential-12-who-should-be-on-the-justice-league-and-why/92-657633/

battyfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By battyfan1

what is wondy's personality traits.......?????????

she is the only part of the trinity that i don't understand.....her personality changes ..... its really weird and puts me off

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically her personality is like Superman's except more fleshed out and interesting.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RDClip

The biggest problem with Diana is that she doesn't have a strictly codified personality like Superman and Batman. Every new writer puts his/her spin on how they believed Diana should act. So, we got compassionate Diana who loves everyone to rage-filled warrior who is silling to commit cold-blooded murder for the greater good.

90mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've read she's really friendly and approachable so pretty much like Supes.

clarkbruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I like about Wonder Woman: She is smart, gentile, classy, brave, has strong morals, and doesn't take crap from anyone. One of my favorite scenes from her would be Wonder Woman #8 I believe. In the issue she found out that there were a hord of men that Hephaestus kept that came from the product of her Amazon sisters having sex with men at sea and then killing them. They discarded the young boys as there are no men allowed on Paradise Island. This type of teaching was also fed to Wonder Woman. But instead of following her Amazon sisters way, she instead embraced them all as her brothers without even knowing them. That's the attitude that puts a smile on my face and makes me appreciate her as a Superhero.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My ideal Wonder Woman is that she has a pragmatic "can do" attitude that at times can seem endearing, naive, or strong depending on the situation but it is the heart of her idealism. She sees problems and she's not afraid to talk about them and deal with them directly. My Wonder Woman is more athlete/activist than warrior/ambassador.

GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bitch

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Personally, I don't care for New 52 Wonder Woman. Azz writes her character well but his book is incredibly boring. In Justice League she's written very cold and impulsive it seems. Superman/Wonder Woman looks like it has a decent balance to it.

Pre 52 Wonder Woman will always be my favorite and she can be summed up in one page which is narrated by Lois.

No Caption Provided

saryas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By dshipp17

I didn't like how DC continued to shift Wonder Woman's character into being set on being a warrior and making her overpowered (e.g. I stand by the fact that she should be somewhere between Wolverine/Spider-Man and 90s Rogue, as a tribute to periods of her Silver Aged self; bullets should still be effected against her; binding her bracelets together should still be effective against her); I suggested that it be stopped, after the New-52, but, instead, DC proceeded to have her a battle skirt. So, I'm not sure how they've shifted her character too much after about the end of 2018. I liked her character, as intended by Marston, through the Silver and Bronze Ages, and then I appreciated what Messner-Loebs tried to do for this character. It's looking like I'll be checking in on this Wonder Woman: Evolution story arc, which might transition me back in, for now, but, I've also been very busy, which resisted my drive to keep up, along with DC being driven to change her into Xena-lite.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@agent41 said:
    @dshipp17 said:

I didn't like how DC continued to shift Wonder Woman's character into being set on being a warrior and making her overpowered (e.g. I stand by the fact that she should be somewhere between Wolverine/Spider-Man and 90s Rogue, as a tribute to periods of her Silver Aged self; bullets should still be effected against her; binding her bracelets together should still be effective against her); I suggested that it be stopped, after the New-52, but, instead, DC proceeded to have her a battle skirt. So, I'm not sure how they've shifted her character too much after about the end of 2018. I liked her character, as intended by Marston, through the Silver and Bronze Ages, and then I appreciated what Messner-Loebs tried to do for this character. It's looking like I'll be checking in on this Wonder Woman: Evolution story arc, which might transition me back in, for now, but, I've also been very busy, which resisted my drive to keep up, along with DC being driven to change her into Xena-lite.

WW was well above wolverine and spiderman level in Silver Age. She also had higher power in Silver Age than 90s Rogue. And Silver Age WW is not original WW. Marston WW is the original. And Marston intended her to be super powerful. In fact his exact words were as strong as Superman. Who already was super strong in Golden Age. Besides, comic characters can increase in power over time. It has happened to Superman, Thor, Hulk, Carol Danvers etc. I don't know why you act like WW being super powerful would be a problem. And this thread is not about power level. It is about WW's personality.

“WW was well above wolverine and spiderman level in Silver Age. She also had higher power in Silver Age than 90s Rogue. And Silver Age WW is not original WW. Marston WW is the original. And Marston intended her to be super powerful.”

As a general matter, her power level was right at that of 90s Rogue throughout the Golden, Silver, and Bronze Ages; there were a few blips, where Rogue also had a few blips (e.g. at one point, Rogue actually manhandled Gladiator in the same episode sequence where Gladiator had easily dispensed with Juggernaut, but always tended to have trouble with Juggernaut, except she did have brief spots where she manhandled Juggernaut; similarly, Wonder Woman had those blips, but, as a general matter, her power level was fixed below those blips). And, there was the I-Chiang run in the Silver Age; I think that really defined Wonder Woman, where even briefly past Messner-Loabs, they had kept her strength and personality consistent.

“ Besides, comic characters can increase in power over time. It has happened to Superman, Thor, Hulk, Carol Danvers etc. I don't know why you act like WW being super powerful would be a problem.”

It's not so much a thing of her being at a strength as much as it's a thing with staying consistent with her character, which was the character that had attracted me and others to her; basically, just have a writer go to some other character who won't stay within her character, is all we're saying. And, I've also addressed those issues with Superman needing a change in character, when, say, a new character like Juggernaut, then Gladiator, then, etc gets introduced; I think Superman would be on the same par as Colossus from the 90s X-men. And, as far as Carol goes, well, there's an explanation for her changes besides just introducing them just to match the newest character (e.g. apart and above then a simple explanation like a reboot because of a crisis event; basically, Carol is still Carol, just something different happened to bring her from the hospital bed that Rogue left her); it's things like just changing a character out of the blue that I disagree with.

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.