Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10271 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

Is Jean Really Ororo's Friend?

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The latest issue of Marvel 1001 inspired this thought and I think I can conclude that Jean really isn't her friend. A few things have occurred throughout their relationship that helped me come to this conclusion.

1. In the Classic Xmen story, Jean exerted her privilege when judging Ororo about not needing to wear clothing. They later would go on a girls night out on the town and Jean committed the ultimate sin and violated Ororo by reading her mind without her permission:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Ororo eventually forgave Jean as she came up with some lame excuse about not being able to control her powers but that wouldnt be the last time Jean would wrong her.

During the Dark Phoenix saga, Jean's ultimate desires were being fulfilled via Mastermind. One of those fantasies was reliving the colonial period in which she viewed Ororo as a slave and treated her accordingly:

No Caption Provided

I think this was probably the worst thing she could have done to Ororo and for me it sealed the deal on this question for me.

Nevertheless, it was recently revealed that during a period after Jean returned from the death of Phoenix Ororo left the xmen for a brief period and Jean didnt care about her emotions, why she left and even acknowledged she was a jerk but was glad to see her leave:

No Caption Provided

Lastly, Jean helped push Forge to ultimately end up breaking off his engagement to Ororo. This was one of the happiest moments of Ororo's life yet Jean in her instigation ruined that moment for her:

No Caption Provided

This resulted in him lashing out on Ororo and breaking off the engagement, which she was going to say yes to:

No Caption Provided

These things Jean has done Ororo never even knew. So I don't think that Jean is a friend or at the very least hasnt been a good friend to Ororo. What are your thoughts?

WaitOmegaStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I think being a little curious is part of Jean's personality, she swears Bobby's mind without his permission and found out he was Gay lol, and tried to read Ororo's mind on another occasion.

Well I guess at that time their friendship wasn't strong enough, so Jean's distrust at times, and during the Dark Phoenix saga, she was being influenced by mastermind and also having to deal with a demonic cosmic entity, I think that it distorted Jean's thoughts and wishes a little.

They have had so many BFFs moments, including a recent one on HOX, Jean knows that every time she comes back from the dead Ororo will always be there to hug her.

I don't think Jean is fake, but every friendship has its good and bad times.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waitomegastorm: I guess that's fair but even still ifjean truly cares about ororo why dismiss her when she is clearly distraught? and if I recall correctly mastermind was allowing Jean to live her fantasies. it was very much her desire to live in the fantasy he was creating. and the incident with forge I violent imagine she would be happy with Jean if she ever discovered what she told forge.

all un all, over the years it doesnt appear that Kean has always had ororo best interests in mind.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underrated thread. Agreed with OP.

WaitOmegaStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Jean goes on a mission to save Ororo, so ...

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f
    deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of these are reaches and one is clearly mis-characterization. Even then, it’s 4 instances versus the plethora of Jean and Ororo showing genuine friendship towards each other.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpendejo: which ones are reaches? please explain.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, you know.....I got killed for a thread I made a looooonnnngggg time ago asking if Storm was a good leader.

I pointed out repeated instances of Storm ignoring the wishes of her teammates and other leaders.

I pointed out how whenever Storm doesn't like the way someone else does things she takes off and when someone doesn't like the way she does things she basically tries to shut them down.

I pointed out how she has repeatedly lost or ignored teammates who went missing and made zero effort to find them.

I pointed out alot of hypocrisy in her actions and her statements.....

I got killed for that......

Just saying....

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: but what does storm being a good leader or not have to do with Jean not being a good friend towards ororo?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss: Nothing.

But the same way me pointing out stand alone instances and taking them out of context, ignoring the instances that contradict my claim and forgetting the intent of the story isn't really fair......neither is this.

Though to be honest I prefer Jean's Beast and Polaris friendships and Storms friendship with Betsy to Storm and Jean anyway.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By butterflykyss

@koays: what was taken out of context in any of the examples I gave?

I also agree with you regarding betsy and ororo.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: what was taken out of context in any of the examples I gave?

I also agree with you regarding betsy and ororo.

I mean honestly the very first example bothers the hell out of me. I mean if your trying to bond with someone having issues and you can read their mind wouldn't that be more of you trying to be helpful then anything else?

kasya_carey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I don't know why you got killed for that lmao.

This thread asked if Jean was ever a good friend.

Your thread asked if Storm was a good leader.

It a matter of opinion and people attacked you?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am thankful that thing is gone. Oh well. For anyone looking at it from Jean’s perspective, let’s take a look:

1) “In the Classic Xmen story, Jean exerted her privilege when judging Ororo about not needing to wear clothing. They later would go on a girls night out on the town and Jean committed the ultimate sin and violated Ororo by reading her mind without her permission:.........

Ororo eventually forgave Jean as she came up with some lame excuse about not being able to control her powers but that wouldnt be the last time Jean would wrong her.“

Terrible example. A clear example of how butterfly twisted things to prop up Storm. Let’s look at what Jean really said.

No Caption Provided

The thing about telepaths are that their powers are always on. They don‘t stop reading minds. They ignore them, but if a thought is tied to an extreme emotion, it is equated to someone screaming. Ergo, Orroro’s trauma was screaming in Jean’s head and Jean couldn’t stop the images from popping in. It literally wasn’t Jean’s fault, but no that’s quite the lame excuse. Right?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

2) “During the Dark Phoenix saga, Jean's ultimate desires were being fulfilled via Mastermind. One of those fantasies was reliving the colonial period in which she viewed Ororo as a slave and treated her accordingly:................

I think this was probably the worst thing she could have done to Ororo and for me it sealed the deal on this question for me.”

So, we should blame Jean for succumbing to what could be considered literal brainwashing? Not just simple illusions, but enhanced ones by a device created by Emma Frost to make Jean believe she was an ancestor? Blame Jean for someone else corrupting her? Yup. Jean totally had these kinds of thoughts about all of the X-Men. They were totally not someone else’s manipulating a cosmic force with sensations it’s never experienced ever right? I genuinely have no respect for anyone who says yes, just as I have no respect for the thing that made this thread.

3) “Nevertheless, it was recently revealed that during a period after Jean returned from the death of Phoenix Ororo left the xmen for a brief period and Jean didnt care about her emotions, why she left and even acknowledged she was a jerk but was glad to see her leave:”

I don’t remember this issue. I would need context.

4) “Lastly, Jean helped push Forge to ultimately end up breaking off his engagement to Ororo. This was one of the happiest moments of Ororo's life yet Jean in her instigation ruined that moment for her:”

Whats the number 1 rule that Xavier taught Jean when it came to telepathy? DON’T READ MINDS WILLY-NILLY!

Forge was dragging Jean into an issue she wanted no part of and he was basically asking her to cross a line because of his own stupid hang ups. Look at the way Storm reacted the first time to Jean accidentally reading an emotion that Storm basically screamed in her head. Now she is gonna be demonized for choosing not to do the thing Storm lashes out against her for because her stupid ex-fiancé was having issues that he should have went to ORRORO FOR?!

My god. I don’t mind opinions, but this op was just slander after slander. Like okay, I could maybe see something if butterfly used the X-Factor era Jean as a catalyst for proving their point, but their catalyst was Black Queen Jean under the manipulations of someone else for possibly having dark thoughts she never acted on until someone manipulated her to do so. Should every person be committed for having bad thoughts? I don’t think so.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to Walmart, y'all want anything?

Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@pyrofn: Thank you. Lol I was gonna say this. Love Kyss but a lot of things were clearly taken out of context

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roddy2010: I have a very different opinion of kyss, which is why I find this typical of them. That in mind, thanks for the thanks. Lol! I really loved your previous Most powerful psi in the world thread. It kind of inspired a group of us to make Jean's RT. (Even though it will need to get reworked a bit)

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@pyrofn: Of course Love ❤️ and I’m glad my thread inspired the others. They are so well done. I’ve been reading them for hours. Unfortunately the update refuses to let me edit old post but I’m glad you guys put those threads together.

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 marvelfan1992  Online

Ms. Whitney Houston said it best

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.