5 Developments From Agents of SHIELD: Season 3, Episode 16 [SPOILERS]

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The agents had a bit of a shock last episode when they caught a glimpse of who is working with Malick when they hacked into a building's security camera. They had suspicions that there was someone else at the top of HYDRA and now they know. The inevitable confrontation won't be an easy one for them. With Hive gaining more strength, Malick is discovering his days within HYDRA may be limited.

Warning: Spoilers for season 3, episode 16 of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., "Paradise Lost," will be discussed below.

Daisy and Lincoln Get Answers About the Ancient Inhuman and the Kree

Daisy and Lincoln visit a recluse Inhuman who hasn't been allowed to go through Terrigenesis. He and Lincoln have a strained past, but they need to talk to him because he may have information on the ancient HYDRA being (Hive). In order to get James to talk, Lincoln brought a Terrigenesis crystal. James has a Kree sphere. He tells them about the first Inhuman who was to lead the Kree army. Other Inhumans banded with humans in order to banish him.

No Caption Provided

Lincoln Has a Dark Past

Lincoln ends up not giving James the crystal. Angered, James tells Daisy how Lincoln almost murdered his last girlfriend. After they leave, Daisy insists Lincoln comes clean with his past if they are to move forward with their relationship. It turns out he drank a lot and had a temper. One day he got in a car accident with his girlfriend, and she almost died. Gordon, the teleporting Inhuman, was watching, and this was when Lincoln was brought to Afterlife (the Inhuman sanctuary).

No Caption Provided

Malick's Past and Sacrifice

Through flashbacks, we see the moment Gideon Malick's father died. Daniel Whitehall wanted Malick and his brother to visit him in jail. Whitehall didn't agree with Malick's father's idea of worshiping the ancient being and sending volunteers to where he was banished. It turned out during the ritual in selecting a Traveler to Maveth, Malick's father rigged it so he knew he wouldn't be chosen. He was essentially a coward. When the Inner Circle was called for the next ceremony, Malick followed in his father's footsteps in order to ensure he wouldn't be chosen either. This resulted in his brother being chosen to give up his life.

In the present, Malick expresses his concerns to his daughter that Hive may be working behind his back. His contact with an Inhuman (last episode) allowed him to see his death. He's worried Hive doesn't need him anymore, and this is compounded when he arrives at the family estate and he calls the Inner Circle to meet. When Malick is confronted about his cowardice or betrayal, Hive kills Malick's daughter. He still needs Malick and she is a sacrifice for his actions.

No Caption Provided

More is Revealed on Hive and His Motives

The agents try to make sense of Ward's return. They're pretty sure that he's been possessed by "it." They know he must have Ward's memories and wonder why he hasn't come after them. Fitz is able to do some analysis on the remains of Hive's previous attack on a company's board of directors. There are tiny organisms that attacked and "it" likely controls them.

When Hive called the Inner Circle to Malick's estate, they were angered and wondered by Grant Ward was there. Hive then reveals himself by transforming and showing a head full of tentacles. After making his position clear to the Inner Circle and to Malick, they're informed that S.H.I.E.L.D.'s plane has been captured.

No Caption Provided

It's Time for the Secret Warriors Initiative

One of the side missions Daisy and S.H.I.E.L.D. has been working on is locating Inhumans as part of the Secret Warriors Initiative, which she would lead. With the other agents captured by HYDRA, Daisy and Lincoln will have to gather the others in order to save them. This would likely include Joey and Slingshot. We have seen mention of other Inhumans but haven't seen their potential explored. Would they change their mind and let James go through Terrigenesis? The other question is whether or not they'll try to get Andrew/Lash to help them take on Hive and HYDRA.

No Caption Provided

Thoughts

It's great to see the agents finally discovering Grant Ward's fate. Seeing their former colleague back from the dead is having a psychological impact on certain members. Coulson is still struggling with the fact he crossed a line when he decided to kill Ward. Fitz is also a little bothered because he shot Will/Hive and also had a strong connection to Ward before he turned evil. May has her connection to Ward as well and is looking forward to confronting him. She commented to Coulson that he "didn't kill him hard enough."

The revelations on Malick's past makes us realize he's not as formidable an enemy as we were lead to believe. The fact he feared for his life takes him down a couple notches. It was surprising to see his daughter get killed by Hive. As she was introduced to the show, it seemed she would have a bigger role within HYDRA and with Hive. Seeing Hive access Malick's brother's memories makes you wonder what would happen if Ward's memories and personality was brought to the front and center.

We got a cool fight scene with May and Mr. Giyera, the telekinetic Inhuman. It's always good to see characters get their backstories fleshed out, like with Malick and Lincoln. With the agents captured, the show is setting up a big high-powered fight. There's still Daisy's vision of future with an agent dying. We have a lot to look forward to over the next six episodes as the season heads towards its conclusion.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really hope they aren't making James Manifold that would piss me off.

Burnstar1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

They already have an Eden Fesi in the MCU, even though he was only mentioned off-screen. If they actually use him for more than this episode, I can see them making James Hellfire from the Secret Warriors comic. The guy with the hellfire weapons.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving said:

They already have an Eden Fesi in the MCU, even though he was only mentioned off-screen. If they actually use him for more than this episode, I can see them making James Hellfire from the Secret Warriors comic. The guy with the hellfire weapons.

Ah that makes much more sense. I was really tired tonight (probably crash here in a bit) so I was sort of in and out while watching. I also remember now that they did show Eden Fesi on the paper when the team was in the hotel with Coulson and Talbot talking about the Inhumans so it would have been odd for him to change his name to James.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

Wow.. i genuinely thought this series got canceled ages ago... after it's underwhelming start.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow.. i genuinely thought this series got canceled ages ago... after it's underwhelming start.

Ages ago? Dude, it's only the third season right now...as in less than 3 years old.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: In all fairness, the show was looking for a feel. It picked up in the second season. It's not Daredevil / Jessica Jones good, but it's enjoyable considering the limitations.

TrueSSJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I missed it, but what was that Kree Sphere Lincoln got?

Off topic, out of all the super hero shoes these days, yes, AoS started rough, but nowadays it's the only one without predictable campy dialogue AND decent actors.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

@truessj: I was wondering the same thing. Agreed with your assessment of the show and is why I and a number of people I know watch the show. It is the one I do my best never to miss.

The twist of Malick's character being revealed and more importantly, the death of his daughter, really threw me. Having seen his fate being "torn from the inside out", nicely done. Wow.

Secret Warriors Initiative. Very curious to see what happens next!

TrueSSJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decept_o: true.

I hope the sphere is not an infinity stone, but I think it will be.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitality said:
    @atheistknowledge said:

Ages ago? Dude, it's only the third season right now...as in less than 3 years old.

Ever heard of a little thing called hyperbole?

You think every time someone says "ill be back in a minute" they literally take 1 minute to come back or maybe sometimes 5, or 10?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

I actually frigging love this show, if they'd just cut it down to even a 16 episode season, it would be as good as the Netflix shows (at its best, it is in my opinion).

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

@truessj: Hmmm....hadn't thought that but I think you may possibly be onto something. Possible!

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Feartheliving said:

When was Manifold mentioned ?? I don´t remmber, when was that ??

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: When they were at meeting about the Inhumans and they were going through the rooms they found a forum that had his name on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.