Grant Ward's New Role in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Confirmed

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The past season ofAgents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been pretty crazy, and things are about to get a bit crazier. Brett Dalton has a new role on the series. Dalton plays Grant Ward, the one-time Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. who started working for Hydra. From there, Ward became something different. Dalton talked with us about the changes to his character back in December.

Warning: There are spoilers ahead.

No Caption Provided

Ward will become The Hive, a character who has had some run-ins with the Secret Warriors in the past. Above is one of the first pictures of Ward, when he comes back to Earth.

Producers Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen discussed what's going on, briefly, with Nerdist: “As we saw in the midseason finale episode, Ward is back on Earth, but he’s definitely not the same Ward who went through the portal to the alien world.”

See The Hive when Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returns on Tuesday, March 8 at 9 PM on ABC.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Should've just kept him dead or left him alive, stranded on that planet for later use IMO. He was a great character, with a great run and the argument that he's come full circle was valid, but I feel like this is a cop out. The writers want to use Ward without actually using Ward and it could potentially screw up the character in the long run. Personally, I would've kept him alive because every super hero team needs an arch-nemesis, but his death was pretty well done for the most part.....I guess...lets just say I wasn't pissed about it lol

Anyways, I'd rather him stay dead :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: How do you expect the writers to "screw up" Grant Ward by having Brett Dalton play a completely different character?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@buttersdaman000: I think there's still a way out once they run with this angle. I have some ideas based on what's happened and what's been said so far. Maybe I'm being hopeful but we're talking a comic book show. Grant could return.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: How do you expect the writers to "screw up" Grant Ward by having Brett Dalton play a completely different character?

Because he's going to have Grant Wards memories, body and, to some extent, personality....I can totally see this villain being defeated by finding the "good" in Grant Wards memories or something corny like that.

@buttersdaman000: I think there's still a way out once they run with this angle. I have some ideas based on what's happened and what's been said so far. Maybe I'm being hopeful but we're talking a comic book show. Grant could return.

IMO, they'll jump the shark if the actual Grant Ward returns. Coulson killed him. They either have to say he was resurrected or he was just incapacitated, both of which would be bad writing in their own ways to me.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rogueshadow  Moderator

I'm not sold he's permanently dead either, we really don't know what'll happen once Hive leaves his body. If Hive rejuvenates Ward's body for use, then when it leaves/is forced out, Ward might return. I hope this happens personally, I like Ward as a persistent thorn in the side of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Also #Skyeward4life.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Sweet, Zombie Ward confirmed!

I don't really care if regular Ward comes back. He had a great run in the first two seasons and if they make this new Ward into an even better (or at least equally good) character that's the real best case scenario.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By WarDishy_

Kudos to whichever Viners called it! I can't remember who it was now but someone definitely told me they thought it was Hive lol.

GeeWhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for the show to return. I've been enjoying Agent Carter and am disappointed to hear that it won't be returning. I'm somewhat surprised that we haven't seen any reviews of Agent Carter -- I feel the writing on that show is so much better than the writing on Flash, Green Arrow or Supergirl.

RedHood1047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By RedHood1047
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: is actually wouldn't mind the "good" being found

Well by "good" I meant they were going to try to redeem him in some way which would be stupid. Ward can still have "good" in him but if that good makes him some sort of hero than all that character development is lost imo

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbee326da7b7
    deactivated-5bbee326da7b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How powerful is the HIVE and what powers does he have

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, Grant looks rekt as hell.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@ajax1998 said:

How powerful is the HIVE and what powers does he have

Enhanced physicals, can breath underwater, can shoot Parasites as weapons. I doubt he will be able to do the last thing in the show, since he doesn't have the monster look. He should have the knowledge of an advanced civilization and centuries of sacrifices, thought.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I have been thinking with this being the human zombie version of Hive rather than the Squidmonster does that make Ward the MCU version of Lady Hydra?

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
    deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SquidWard confirmed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.