Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23826 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman and Detective comics discussion thread

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@vishop_ said:

Recently read Morrison's Batman and Robin. Tbh I have read RIP quite a number of times but I never touched this book because things were getting subpar with Leviathan.

Yeah, he was really milking things with Leviathan and Batman Inc. Not a big fan of that period of Batman and that point of Morrison's run. However, his Batman and Robin wasn't all too bad.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

DC have cancelled orders for King and the late John Paul Leon's Batman/Catwoman special

Over in the "Are you Afraid of Darksied" one-shot, the framing device was around Damien and his Teen Titans group sharing campfire tales.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This week hasn't been all too bad.

Batman #114 - the story didn't move too much forward but at least we got to enjoy a rather bloody and pretty brutal fight between the two Peacekeepers. Jimenez has been doing a tremendous job the last few issues putting those pages together and I have been loving it. We are reaching a semi culmination point in this event as Miracle Molly has found out how Crane is controlling people by putting fear into them and what his plan might actually be.

Arkham City felt like a breathe of fresh air and I just loved the interiors. It's turning out to be a great thriller/horror/crime book similar to the Joker. I loved the first issue and I will definitely pick up the second one.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@vishop_: Oops, it was indeed the 4th issue, lol.

@vishop_ said:

Recently read Morrison's Batman and Robin. Tbh I have read RIP quite a number of times but I never touched this book because things were getting subpar with Leviathan.

The second volume of INC was indeed subpar next to what Morrison had written before. I'd like to blame the New 52 for that.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5555  Edited By entropy_aegis

@tdk_1997: I really didn't like Batman at all and can't wait for Tynion to leave. The Peacekeeper throw down was just fluff because we have no reason in the world go give a crap about either of them. Their abilities are also extremely ill defined and their designs are pretty bad. Imagine having Iron Man armor on your torso with your lower half completely exposed. Why doesn't Bruce just break their legs? lol.

Arkham City looks to be interesting but there's already a continuity clash between this and Suicide Squad concerning Nocturna. You'd think these guys would be clear about where she was and what she was doing.

@zariusii said:

DC have cancelled orders for King and the late John Paul Leon's Batman/Catwoman special

Over in the "Are you Afraid of Darksied" one-shot, the framing device was around Damien and his Teen Titans group sharing campfire tales.

King's run keeps finding excuses to get stretched out.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: I really didn't like Batman at all and can't wait for Tynion to leave. The Peacekeeper throw down was just fluff because we have no reason in the world go give a crap about either of them. Their abilities are also extremely ill defined and their designs are pretty bad. Imagine having Iron Man armor on your torso with your lower half completely exposed. Why doesn't Bruce just break their legs? lol.

Arkham City looks to be interesting but there's already a continuity clash between this and Suicide Squad concerning Nocturna. You'd think these guys would be clear about where she was and what she was doing.

@zariusii said:

King's run keeps finding excuses to get stretched out.

I really ain't taking Batman all too seriously lately. It's been a terrible run for the last 10-ish issues. Mediocre story, weird characterization, below average plots. I just try to enjoy the little things, like the great artwork and the well crafted and choreographed action scenes.

Yeah,true, but DC and Marvel have always had those continuity issues regarding smaller time characters, like currently with Nocturna.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5557  Edited By entropy_aegis

@tdk_1997: LOL

Potentially big developments in Joker #8

I didn't like them one bit. According to Tynion :

• This Bane's daughter character called Vengeance was created in a lab in Paris
    • The people who created her are the unknown and unseen rulers/generals of Santa Prisca who need Bane's symbolism/idea
    • It was fine up to this point but then everything went downhill
    • Tynion strongly lays out that Bane HIMSELF was created in this lab...WTF. Talk about completely ruining his backstory. Tynion further suggests that Bane's hatred of Batman was planted by these unseen rulers. I f*cking hate it here. I have stated time and time again that Tynion is always more interested in changing the past, "fixing" things, setting up status quos and arranging pieces instead of focusing on telling a good story. I know people have had problems with Bane's motivations and his Batman fixation . I don't deny that Dixon was more interested in getting him up and running for the Knightfall event so there were things that didn't get fleshed out as they should have. Nonetheless, fleshing out is all they needed. The core themes were never in doubt at all. Bane strives for physical and mental perfection while attempting to overcome his fears and insecurities. The giant Bat is a manifestation of that. Then Tynion tries to have his cake and eat it too by claiming that because Bane was too clever he was able to overcome their control but without ever knowing that he was being controlled, give me a break.
    • It actually gets worse. The lab had DNA samples of a whole bunch of other characters such as Lady Shiva, Bronze Tiger, Richard Dragon, etc including people Bane has been connected with such as King Snake and Scandal Savage. Batman's sample was also there and it was stolen from that lab. So Tynion is either going to create another Batchild/clone or reveal that Vengeance was created from the DNA of both Bruce and Bane ala Conner Kent.
    • This whole thing is shaping up to be extremely stupid.
    • Guillem March also couldn't help himself with the multiple shots of her ass.
    • I really hope this turns out to be a master plan orchestrated by Bane. Anything other than that and it will fall completely flat.
    ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5558  Edited By ZariusII

Batman solicits for January

-Damien teams with (adult) Jon in a Supersons one-shot by Tomasi

-Tini Howard takes over Catwoman. With Bruce not around, it's back to heists and hijinks in Gotham.

-Dick getting a suit upgrade. Also he's definitely dating Babs again now.

-Mark Waid penning a back-up series in Detective Comics to set up his Black Label reboot of Superman

-They're rebooting Bruce's origin again with "The Knight" by Chip Zdarsky

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Tomasi returning to write the boys is a surprise as is Waid potentially tackling a book starring Batman and Superman. I think this Waid project is separate from his Black Label Superman book. It does make you question Jace's viability even more. DC clearly has no plans to abandon Bruce/Clark and Damian/Jon.

The Nightwing book is just a nostalgia fest at this point.

Did some digging on Howard and it seems like her run will be closer to Winick than anything else. What a huge downgrade from Ram V.

It seems to be a book fleshing out Bruce's pre Batman years. I'm really looking forward to it. I think this is the Legend of the Batman title that was leaked. As long as Zdarsky avoids Ghost-Maker I'm good. Tynion's awful OCs seem to be missing altogether in January so that's a huge win.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From this week's releases it was sure made evident that the Batman line in DC is lacking creativity and real reason to be so over-extended and so on. Urban Legends is finally starting to show its true colors - having mediocre stories that will be easily forgotten and serve no real purpose. From all of the things that appeared this month in the anthology series, the Jean-Paul story was the only one that was exciting and I am actually interested to read more about. Everything else was just filler imo.

Jace's book continues to be pointless, not really going anywhere and stagnant. For almost 20 issues now of Jace introduction, "development" and so on it seems like we are actually still stuck at the very same spot. Only difference is that he is now finally donning a Bat mantle and is supposedly scaring thugs by revealing to them that he is a black Batman?! For some reason that is very, very scary and something that brings panic to dem thugs..

The reveals which occured in the Joker were abysmal if they truly stick. I still have some hope that Tynion won't really ruin Bane like that but who knows. As a disciple and follower of the Snyder way of writing, both of them are pretty well known for changing pasts and implementing new status quos just for the shock value which, as already mentioned, truly ruins their story telling and keeps them distracted. However, the final few pages of the issue, the dialogue between Jim and Vengeance was truly great. I loved her proposition and what this might lead to.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5561  Edited By entropy_aegis

@tdk_1997: I completely forgot to talk about Urban Legends, lol. It really has become a bit of a pointless book hasn't it? the art in the Pyg section was nice though. It also revealed that Duke Thomas will become one of the most powerful mages in the future, LMAO. You can't help but laugh at this now.

Tynion missed the forest for the trees if he goes ahead with his awful plans for Bane. The good thing is that due to their drastic nature they'll be retconned to the garbage can very soon so I'm not that worried. Vengeance is an ok character, she seems more interesting than pretty much every other Tynion OC and it helps that DC has been more subdued with the promotion. We don't need to be told that she's the biggest and bestest character ever by an overzealous marketing machine.

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
    deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

Batman solicits for January

-Damien teams with (adult) Jon in a Supersons one-shot by Tomasi

-Tini Howard takes over Catwoman. With Bruce not around, it's back to heists and hijinks in Gotham.

-Dick getting a suit upgrade. Also he's definitely dating Babs again now.

-Mark Waid penning a back-up series in Detective Comics to set up his Black Label reboot of Superman

-They're rebooting Bruce's origin again with "The Knight" by Chip Zdarsky

Welp Catwoman sure will be more disinteresting under Tini. Its like King wasn't enough and now Tini. Has anyone been reading Zdarsky's Last Ride? I have read couple of issues. Seems good.

Also Waid is back with Batman? That doesn't sound all good to me at the very least.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5563  Edited By entropy_aegis

WOW! Deathstroke INC went from ongoing to 7 issue mini. That's worse than Task Force Z cause atleast that book got cut from ongoing to 12 issue series. How the hell is Williamson going to complete his story? I hope Batman doesn't get hijacked for this but I can already see a crossover in March/April.

EDIT: Never mind, Williamson has clarified that DC made a mistake.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gotta say, not really digging Pattinson's Bat-Voice here. I unironically think he sounded a bit better in the DC FanDome teaser from 2020.

Plus some posters and a still of Selina.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Christian Ward has a beautiful art style and it really fitted the vibe of the story. However, I didn't really find it compelling or memorable. As for what the future holds for Duke... I guess DC really doesn't know what to do with him.

The Bane plans of Tynion will go nowhere and it is pretty evident tbh. No one is really talking about the chane of origin of Bane, even Tynion himself. So, it really might be something that is done just for the shock effect. After all, so far it's mainly assumptions from Vengeance's side.

Kravitz looks hot as hell as Selina. I am starting to dig this casting lol.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Same here as well but I thought it looked nice.

I hope they don't, lol.

The cast was always on point for me. I think the film will be cool.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5568  Edited By entropy_aegis

Has anyone been watching Fandome? It's really a whole lot of nothing which has me completely shocked.

Black Adam and The Flash have the most barebones teasers. There was no announcement for the third Injustice game and the Gotham Knights & Suicide Squad game trailers were pretty meh. Those games STILL don't have a release date. At least Wan gave us a cool look at the very accurate Black Manta suit.

There's no Batman animated film next year which sucks. There is a CGI Super Sons animation coming out at the end of the next year. Catwoman: Hunted looks fun and so does Peacemaker.

The Caped Crusader show has me a bit worried now. Bruce Timm is saying that it will be more BTAS than BTAS cause this time there are no censor boards to restrain him. That's making me anxious instead of excited given how Timm treats violence and mature themes as well as his complete dismissal of Bruce Wayne. I also recently discovered a story involving him and Mitch Brian about how Bane was adapted in BTAS and it made me lose respect for the guy even more. He just called up Mitch and pitched Bane just to make everyone see how ridiculous he was.

There's a Milestone animated project that Brandon Thomas is working on. He's one of the more stronger and professional writers that DC has recently enlisted.

Superman gets a new motto.

Young Justice looks the same as usual aka mediocre and past it's expiry date.

Titans gets a season renewal.

The Batgirl and Blue Beetle panels were a waste of time. They could have made some casting/character announcements but did not choose to do so at all.

Pennyworth gets a new season, moves to HBO Max and will jump 5 years.

Still waiting for the Batman trailer.

HOLY SHIT: THAT TRAILER WAS AWESOME.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite Rock carrying the role of Black Adam, which I very much doubt is gonna good, everything else seems progressive and exciting with JSA making their appearances.

I am not holding my candle till I see something concrete about Batman's voice. From the glimpse of that scene I don't think I am sure it's good or bad. But other than that the trailer was pretty damm badass with action sequences. Kravitz has a awesome and alluring voice with Catwoman. I think I am betting on her being stand out of this movie.

Flash is also decent enough and I am looking forward to some time travel sheangains

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_:

I was sold by his "I'm Vengeance" in the first trailer.

I thought he had a fine Batman voice then.

I am optimistic about this movie.

I never cared about his Twilight past from ten years ago.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Batman trailer somehow felt modern and also like something from the 90s. I'm still not sold on Pattinson. Kravitz was about what I expected for Catwoman, I think she'll do OK. Colin Farrell was unexpectedly awesome as the Penguin. Wasn't enough of Dano. Andy Serkis looks like he'll fit just fine as Alfred, he's basically going for the same vibe as Jeremy Irons' Alfred, who was awesome, so I'm sold there. Still hate the Batmobile. Action scenes admittedly looked cool.

Black Adam got me weirdly hyped even though I don't even care for Black Adam's character all that much and this movie was in development hell for so long I almost forgot they were making it.

Peacemaker looks fun but I'm not a fan of how DC seems to have doubled down on the character's comic relief aspects. He had his funny moments in the movie but he wasn't an outright moron.

HOW THE F**K IS PENNYWORTH STILL A THING? Even the actors look like they'd much rather be doing something else.

I admittedly enjoyed Justice League: Gods & Monsters but I can't say I'm particularly hyped for Timm's new Batman outing. Bit late to be trying to bring back the glory days. Especially when those glory days became increasingly less glorious as the DCAU dragged on.

I zoned out of Gotham Knights around the time they started mentioning the word "RPG". No, just no. And why the hell does Penguin sound like Adam Jensen?

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League at the very least had an entertaining trailer but ultimately, no. It's still a looter-shooter that Rocksteady didn't even want to make so forget it.

Didn't really care about anything else.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What gets me about Gotham Knights is that they showed even LESS this time around, lmao. There was nothing on gameplay, characters and release date. All we got was an intro to the Court which might be interesting for the newbies but for those of us who know about them it was nothing. Given how popular Snyder's run was, the dragged out marketing and that the Court has been adapted twice before I'd wager that plenty of people had an idea about them. All we got was a bunch of generic Talon goons and the typical rambling about the Court's omnipotence and omniscience. The concept is just hot air at this point. Snyder never chose to do anything with them after the first arc so there's a massive dearth of story. If someone tries to fill the void then they run the risk of being accused ot "butchering" the source material. The pedestal that it has been put on has been its own bane.

I'm amused at Candace Patton's promotion for the Batman web toons. She went on about "fan favorites" like Duke, Steph and Cass, HAHAHA. How tone deaf does DC have to be? I suppose Duke certainly has been a fan favorite of someone in DC's editorial. No way could an abysmal character like him continue to enjoy print without someone forcing him in to being a thing.

The Fandome has been carried by Batman and specifically the movie. Two years in a row, this has proven to be a virtually dead event otherwise. I still can't believe that it's been 10 years since we got a proper and fulfilled version of Batman. DCEU, Gotham, Titans and CW have all f*cked the character since Nolan left him. It's why I don't give a crap about seeing the Bat family and other DC characters. It's high time those characters stand on their own feet.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been following the announcements from DC Fandome but all I saw was The Batman's trailer and oh my god is that trailer amazing. I try to not get too excited about trailers nowadays as most of them are very misleading and create a very false perception and expection for the film which is about to come out, but this was brilliant. It showed us at the same time a lot and almost nothing in order to not reveal too much of the plot to the audience. However, the dialogie, the soundtrack, the characters' voices and just the overall vibe of the movie looks like Gotham and feels like Gotham.

Really excited to see the whole movie as I got goosebumps watching the trailer.

Later on I will check out the Black Adam teaser as my social media has been flooded by people sharing small parts from it

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you guys think of the Peacemaker trailer?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5575  Edited By entropy_aegis

@tdk_1997: You didn't miss out at all.

Peacemaker looks funny which is the point, I guess.

Saw the first two episodes of YJ and I'm done with this mediocre show. I'll probably watch certain episodes based on specific characters/description from now. How badly could a once solid show fall? it's an animated version of DC CW now.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5576  Edited By OrangeBat

Young Justice's issue is that there is no continuity, whether character or plot. It's not even from season to season, it's from episode to episode and it started all the way back from Season 1 which had one of the most awfully-paced and badly-explained pilots I've ever seen in a show. Stories will end suddenly with no explanation in the most random places and then just expect you to move on to the next story line while the audience is still going "wait, what?" and trying to connect all of it together in a way that at least makes some degree of sense.

This method of making a show might work for South Park, it does not work for Young Justice. Actually I take that back, even South Park knows the value of pacing and where to start and end a plot.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Young Justice's issue is that there is no continuity, whether character or plot. It's not even from season to season, it's from episode to episode and it started all the way back from Season 1 which had one of the most awfully-paced and badly-explained pilots I've ever seen in a show. Stories will end suddenly with no explanation in the most random places and then just expect you to move on to the next story line while the audience is still going "wait, what?" and trying to connect all of it together in a way that at least makes some degree of sense.

This method of making a show might work for South Park, it does not work for Young Justice. Actually I take that back, even South Park knows the value of pacing and where to start and end a plot.

The first para sounds like you describing the Titans show. The thing about YJ is that the story still hasn't wrapped up. They're still stuck with the same relationships and plots. Why even bother with a character like Artemis? who cares? she has no future in comics. Cutting the cast to focus on the OGs was a good move but there's no progression and they're still carrying deadweight like Artemis. She's not even a character created specifically for the show.

The point about continuity is interesting though. They ended the second season with a Darkseid cliffhanger that never amounted to anything. Still don't know what happened to Hugo Strange after he took over Belle Reve. I don't expect them to follow up on the Super Sons this season either. I even have doubts about Jason Todd.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

What do you guys think of the Peacemaker trailer?

Same ol like Suicide Squad. Pretty sure I am not really excited for this film. Tonally SS was really inconsistent

Black Adam has Rock but at least it has a bigger scope to JSA. Wish there were more JSA characters especially Alan Scott.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taylor's Nightwing may be dealing with an intense situation like Fear State, but it's still offering up warm'n'fuzzy feels with flashbacks to Dick and Babs' younger days as crimefighters and Babs planting a big wet one on Dick after realizing he's alive. When affected by the fear gas Her great fear is seeing Dick take another bullet to the head, only it's fatal, Tim also guest-stars. The cliffhanger sees Oracle's clocktower explode, seemingly with Cass and Steph inside.

King's Batman/Catwoman sadly continues to deteriorate, and the new 'Sharpish' artwork isn't helping camouflage what a dirge it is. Bat/Cat continues to be presented as a toxic pairing, with the duo engaged in relentless rooftop bickering, and Selina getting routinely wasted in palsy drinking sessions with The Joker. In the future Dick has become addicted to pipe smoking, and Older Selina breaks into the morgue to take Joker's body, hack it to pieces, and decorate a christmas tree with it.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still haven't watched the new episodes of Young Justice or even finished the season before that to be honest. I barely remember what was going on apart from the visual change of the show in terms of the art style they wee using. Oh, and Geo-Force was taking one of the central stages for some reason.

This week has been pretty mediocre and it isn't anything new regarding the Bat-line. Batman #115 moved the plot nowhere. We are still stuck at the very same place and it feels like the plot for this mini-event was moving faster before it started. Since it started it has been pretty stagnant and we are just seeing some characters facing off against each other, Tynion introducing new villains who will be literally forgotten in a few months and from time to time Scarecrow who appears as some type of a narrator/ghostly-haunting figure. It's become pretty dull at this point to even follow what is going.

The Peacekeeper Secret Files one-shot was quite enjoyable to be honest. Sean Mahoney isn't a character that you really care about or should for that matter, but Tynion and Brisson did their best to make the reader at least somewhat interested in him. A compelling story alongside some good artwork made this the best Secret Files one-shot so far.

Catwoman continues to do nothing for me. These Fear State tie-ins have been the most misleading tie-ins of any crossover that I've read. Apart from some Magistrate soldiers appearing here and there and acting as a cannon fodder, there isn't really anything that makes you feel or think that you are reading a Fear State tie-in. The characters that are part of Selina's clique are all pretty randomly chosen and none of them, apart from Basil Karlo, are giving any character or dialogue for that matter. It seems like Ram V isn't very happy that his book is taking part of this crossover. At least it looks like that from the pages that I've been reading lately.

Taylor's Nightwing has become one big nostalgia fest and a Dick/Babs shipping book. I don't mind that DC don't know what to do with Barbara Gordon anymre and are doing everything they can to keep pushing Dick backwards, so he can keep ending up with Babs, but after the Nth time it becomes tiresome and just sad. Barbara has become the next Tim Drake of the Bat-family - a character which no longer has a purpose or an identity and DC just keep going through the same cycle with them. Apart from that, the issue was meh - some below average artwork, some semi-entetaining action and yet again a tie-in to Fear State that really isn't that connected to the crossover.

Overall, a mediocre week for the Bat-fam.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5581  Edited By entropy_aegis

I'm just waiting for Tynion and King's respective runs to end at this point. I have exhausted all my opinions about their work so there's no point in repeating myself anymore.

I will say that Scarecrow is not main villain material as far as action events or movies/games/shows are concerned. There's potential for him leading small scale psychological stories of course but WB's obsession with pushing him as city wide threat makes me irate. Fear State, Gothtopia, Titans season 3 and Arkham Knight have all amply demonstrated my point.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just waiting for Tynion and King's respective runs to end at this point. I have exhausted all my opinions about their work so there's no point in repeating myself anymore.

I will say that Scarecrow is not main villain material as far as action events or movies/games/shows are concerned. There's potential for him leading small scale psychological stories of course but WB's obsession with pushing him as city wide threat makes me irate. Fear State, Gothtopia, Titans season 3 and Arkham Knight have all amply demonstrated my point.

Completely agree with you there. Scarecrow, Penguin and some other villains that are part of Baman's Rogues gallery aren't just line-wider city-wide material. It can be argued that if writen properly Oswald can be taken more seriously, but I am quite reserved when it comes to both of them.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5583  Edited By OrangeBat

I'm not sure Scarecrow even fits the small-scale psychological stories all that well either. Feels like anything you could use Scarecrow for, you could use Hugo Strange for with better results. Although Hugo probably fits the main villain niche better, so there might be room for Crane as just some dude in a potato sack that doses people with hallucinogens as a sideshow piece.

Speaking of King, anyone else aware that the dude wrote a collection of short stories centered around women's breasts back in the day? I don't dare post it for fear of violating the rules but you can look up "Tom King Busty" if you are feeling curious about what our favorite Bat/Cat author/shipper-on-deck was up to before he jumped into comics.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Lol he seemed like a guy who has some weird fetished but never expected that the guy has a whole book written about boobs. I like female breasts as well and almost every single self-respecting hetherosexual man has a liking for them, but the thought of writing a whole book about them has never crossed my mind.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some weird shit happened with the latest issue of Reptllian. It was typical Ennis 😂

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman: Impostor and Robin and Batman were great. If they retain this quality all the way to the end then they could become modern classics. The same applies to Catwoman: Lonely City. That said both The Detective and Reptilian started off very strong but have kind of fizzled out. Impostor is basically Earth One done right. I enjoyed some of the revisions of the classic characters and now I'm curious about the identity of the impostor Batman. The book draws much more from the mythos than I imagined. If this is the type of writing we're going to get from the film then I'm definitely going to love it.

Future State: Gotham spoilers

The "Bruce" who was guiding Jason turned out to be Hush. Hush has "employers" and he's supposedly behind the Next Joker. I like Jason's characterization but what is even the point of this status quo? The Magistrate storyline ends next week so why should we even care about a potential future about it? Mind you there was never a reason to care to even begin with because they've always been boring and basic.

Joker spoilers

I've had this suspicion for a while and this issue pretty much clears it for me. The "Bane" who died in Arkham and who is appearing in Task Force Z is guaranteed to be a clone. The mad doctor guy pretty much spells it out. James Jr also returns as Talon, lol. I will admit to not seeing that coming.

Bleeding Cool also reports that Ra's al Ghul is going to play a major role in Shadow War that was teased in the Urban Legends issue that acted as a prelude to Deathstroke INC. The upcoming monthly Tec arc is also called Shadows of the Bat or a prelude to it. I wonder if Batman, Robin, Deathstroke, Joker, Tec, Task Force Z, etc are leading up to something involving Ra's, Leviathan, Court of Owls, Bane, Deathstroke, etc. Perhaps they're redoing Tynion's attempt to create an alliance between major villains from a few years back. There are some common threads running across these books.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, it looks like Jace Fox didn't survive for a long time in Gotham and now will be relocating to New York City along with the whole Fox family. It will be happening pretty soon actually as it is teased for the 6th issue of the book and this change of status quo will be permanent.

I guess they saw that he doesn't stand a chance to become popular in Gotham and decided to move him.

No Caption Provided

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Well, it looks like Jace Fox didn't survive for a long time in Gotham and now will be relocating to New York City along with the whole Fox family. It will be happening pretty soon actually as it is teased for the 6th issue of the book and this change of status quo will be permanent.

I guess they saw that he doesn't stand a chance to become popular in Gotham and decided to move him.

No Caption Provided

Giggles

This just gives them an excuse to forget about him once Ridley is done. Yeesh, how many fresh starts (and artists) does this character need?

The mediocrity called Fear State finally wrapped up. Tynion will not be missed on this title at all. The back ups did nothing to convince me to read Batgirls. Babs fans can read Joker and Nightwing anyway since those books are more important to her arc/mythos.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wiesman, the creator of Young Justice has recently told fans that the show "will never end". He's gonna string those poor fanboys along for as long as he can. An episodic show can get away with something like this given its very nature but that is absolutely not the case for a plot centric show that has an overarching arc. He can't use the episodic principle to justify his cliffhangers. What he needs to do is wrap up his f*cking arcs.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I think they should just make this a 12 issue mini and be done with it. It's more than apparent that no one cares about Jace and no one even likes the direction or anything like that.

Tynion's tenure is done. I still haven't read the latest intallment but I am sure it is nothing worth reading but it's fine.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: He's not even getting Luke and Lucius in the bargain if the solicits are any indication of things to come. DC refused to surrender an inch of Bruce's territory beyond the name and the costume. I've never seen something as DOA as this book.

Feb Solicits

A new Suicide Squad book is coming, meh. Nightwing is jumping in to another crossover while everything else is the same as usual.

I must say that I expected KGBeast to show up in the Pennyworth book though I'm not sure if I actually posted about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

Batman: Impostor and Robin and Batman were great. If they retain this quality all the way to the end then they could become modern classics. The same applies to Catwoman: Lonely City. That said both The Detective and Reptilian started off very strong but have kind of fizzled out. Impostor is basically Earth One done right. I enjoyed some of the revisions of the classic characters and now I'm curious about the identity of the impostor Batman. The book draws much more from the mythos than I imagined. If this is the type of writing we're going to get from the film then I'm definitely going to love it.

Future State: Gotham spoilers

The "Bruce" who was guiding Jason turned out to be Hush. Hush has "employers" and he's supposedly behind the Next Joker. I like Jason's characterization but what is even the point of this status quo? The Magistrate storyline ends next week so why should we even care about a potential future about it? Mind you there was never a reason to care to even begin with because they've always been boring and basic.

Joker spoilers

I've had this suspicion for a while and this issue pretty much clears it for me. The "Bane" who died in Arkham and who is appearing in Task Force Z is guaranteed to be a clone. The mad doctor guy pretty much spells it out. James Jr also returns as Talon, lol. I will admit to not seeing that coming.

Bleeding Cool also reports that Ra's al Ghul is going to play a major role in Shadow War that was teased in the Urban Legends issue that acted as a prelude to Deathstroke INC. The upcoming monthly Tec arc is also called Shadows of the Bat or a prelude to it. I wonder if Batman, Robin, Deathstroke, Joker, Tec, Task Force Z, etc are leading up to something involving Ra's, Leviathan, Court of Owls, Bane, Deathstroke, etc. Perhaps they're redoing Tynion's attempt to create an alliance between major villains from a few years back. There are some common threads running across these books.

Heard there is a lot to spoil the film if I read the Imposter. Andrea Sorrentino is a great artist though. Wonder how didn't DC gave him Batman sooner due to his gritty style

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: He's not even getting Luke and Lucius in the bargain if the solicits are any indication of things to come. DC refused to surrender an inch of Bruce's territory beyond the name and the costume. I've never seen something as DOA as this book.

Feb Solicits

A new Suicide Squad book is coming, meh. Nightwing is jumping in to another crossover while everything else is the same as usual.

I must say that I expected KGBeast to show up in the Pennyworth book though I'm not sure if I actually posted about it.

Worst thing, from DC's part, is the fact that Batman will be away from Gotham but in the book which he wasn't supposed to appear('Tec), he is still being marketed as a character that will appear. DC should grow a pair and stand by their choice of having a Gotham without Batman for a few months. Hell, even we as fans of the characters and readers would love the change cuz it will bring something new to the table.

The Nightwing book has really dropped in quality since its inclusion into the Fear State crossover.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far this week I've read through the most important issues for me: 'Tec, Task Force Z and Robin. I must say I am impressed by all three of them. The whole infestation story going around in 'Tec is a bit cliche and dull at times but the brilliant interiors by Dan Mora are what gives this book the vibrant and exciting feeling it has and gives its readers. Tamaki also compliments it with good character voices and characterization and somewhat this makes the story more than just bearable and somewhat likable.

Force Z is so far nothing more than a cheap Suicide Squad knock-off and a horror-action based book making Jason more likable to the general public. This book really shows us that even when Jason is taken as a nothing more than an angry guy who punches first and asks questions later, he is still far more interesting than Tim Drake.

Robin is the true gem in the Bat line currently. Great book. A fun book. A book filled with joy and a lot of love for Damian. A true gem.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: He's in the backups, LOL .

Nightwing looks to be a book driven by gimmicks and fan service at this point.

Tec started off strong but Tamaki has lost her way. This whole plot line with Vile was a whole load of nothing.

I don't think Bane is Bane in Task Force Z . Watch it be a clone while the real deal shows up in Joker. The second issue was more entertaining than the first though.

Yeah, Robin is the strongest ongoing in the line right now.

Reptilian fizzled out but I still enjoy Ennis's take on Batman a lot.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5598  Edited By entropy_aegis

Some spoilers from this week's releases.

Batman: The Detective 6:

The villain in this is horrendous and this story will only be remembered for the art. What a poor conclusion to this mini series. Tommy Elliot's story looks like a master piece in comparison.

Fear State Omega:

Tynion puts his OC's back in to the toy box where they'll hopefully stay forever. The book introduces Chase Meridian and sets up Arkham Tower. I'll make a separate post about all that Arkham Tower stuff later. Tynion also continues the tradition of making Batman look useless. Saint only gets house arrest and Peacekeeper escapes. Tynion also takes the time to dump on Scarecrow. The character is told that he just does the same old same old every time. Tynion also reverts to having him use the potato sack costume that he dissed some months ago. I don't even know what goes through Tynion's mind but I'm really glad that all this is over.

Villains Giant:

Devito writes a bizarre Penguin/Catwoman story that read like a fan fic. I still found it a little cute though.

The Scarecrow story involving Nightwing that followed was better than anything Tynion ever did with the character. The character should be exported over to Nightwing at this point.

Then there's a visually interesting Ivy story that will get a follow up in 2022. If they can keep her from becoming Harley's wife then I'll check it out.

An ok Mad Hatter/Damian story that abruptly ends to be continued in Arkham City : Order of the World mini comes next. I'm getting a little irritated with these lead ups to lead ups.

The best story ironically features Killer Moth, LMAO.

Then there a story about Red Hood that's about neither Joker nor Jason. Felt like it was riffing an episode from Gotham that aired during its first season.

PKJ then does a nice Ra's story. Between this and the Batman/Superman: The Authority Special the man has made it clear what his hypothetical Batman run would focus on. He really leans hard in to Son of the Demon.

The book ends with an ok Talia story. It sets up the Shadow War event coming next year while telling fans to check out Batman, Robin and Deathstroke INC. There's no escaping Morrison's characterization though. They sort of made that clear.

I'm surprised by the lack of Joker, Two-Face, Bane, and Harley. They all had a little cameo in the Killer Moth story which was weird given their notable absence. Riddler too I suppose.

Robin Annual :

Gives backstories to a bunch of characters with the most notable obviously being Flatline. Hints at Respawn possibly being Grant Wilson and also teases Shadow War. Tells the fans to check out Batman, Robin and Deathstroke INC, LOL.

Tec Annual :

Sets up Arkham Tower and that's all I got from it. Cannot say that I'm really looking forward to it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5599  Edited By entropy_aegis

In other news, Batgirl has started filming. Manganiello has given up on playing Deathstroke. This does not surprise me in the least because Johns and Snyder were biggest backers. I can't say that I'm too sorry, tbh. I was initially excited but the DCEU was a disaster and Joe isn't exactly a top actor. Some of the details that came out also made it all sound as if they were retreading a lot the territory Nolan already covered. Heck a lot of it sounded like Arrow and Titans which doesn't surprise me given Johns's involvement in all of these projects.

I'd also like to talk about the parallel structure of the Bat titles at present. We've got Williamson on Batman, Robin and Deathstroke INC setting up Shadow War. Then we've got Task Force Z, The Joker, Arkham City: Order of the World and soon Detective Comics focusing on the mystery of A-Day and its ramifications. Tec will even go monthly for 3 months to focus on the Shadows of the Bat arc from Jan to March. The latter stuff seems more editorially driven collaboration involving different writers but Matt Rosenberg seems to be the linking factor. He writes Task Force Z, co-writes The Joker on occasion and will handle the back ups for Tec during the Shadows of the Bat arc.He co-wrote the just released Tec Annual with Tamaki and he's also close to Tynion which is something I suppose is true about Williamson as well.

I'm not sure what's the endgame here. Will these converge or remain separate? there's some loose connecting factors with the Lazarus Resin being the most obvious one. The other being the use of the word "shadow".

Shadows of the Bat

Tamaki gave an interview about the upcoming Tec and it's rather clear that the arc is something editors came up with.

I will just say that I'm not looking forward to another event. Fear State sucked donkey balls and I'm worn down by all the "Wars".

• Arkham War
    • Robin War
    • Joker War
    • Shadow War

How many f*cking wars do we need? that's not even counting The War of Jokes and Riddles. Enough of this crap already and find some original title now. It doesn't just extend to Wars either. We've got:

Death in the Family, Death of the Family, Year: One, Zero: Year, Night of the Owls, Night of the Monster Men, City of Owls, City of Bane.

This rut really traces its origin to Scott Snyder.

killerboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve been pretty disappointed with the current bat books. Tynion’s run on Batman is finally over, just like all his OCs, will fade away into obscurity(hopefully). Fear state was dragging all the bat books down other than Robin, which is the best current bat book. I’m a little saddened by the direction the nightwing series has been going, but it’s still the second best current bat book. To me the batgirls series is just okay. Nothing special. I don’t understand why they don’t just find a former birds of prey writer(like Chuck Dixon or Gail Simon), and have them write a whole new birds of prey series. I find it odd the DC is already announcing two new Batman events, Shadow war and Shadows of the bat. I personally think that Shadow War should be it’s own book, because it relates to all street level characters. Almost every high tier street level character has a connection to the league of assassins or league of shadow, in the current continuity. I feel like Shadows of the bat should just be scrapped completely. I don’t want to read about a knock off Hugo strange. If I wanted Hugo strange I’d read his older comics or play arkham city.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.