Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23669 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Dick Grayson shouldn't be the next Batman.

• 84 results
    SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SmoothJammin

@FadeToBlackBolt:

The fault of society? If anything, Bruce is a schizo--no sane person decides to dress up in a bat costume waging war on crime and recruit 10 yr olds to do their bidding. I'll admit it makes for a great read but his issues are far more psychological than anything..the world isn't a nice place and thats just the way things are. In reality, he has no place taking the law into his own hands.

I don't hate Batman but I have to disagree that he's the greatest character. Thats an arguably bold statement.. especially when you stack him up against other household names like Spidey and supes, captain america, the flash and so on.. he's a brilliant mind but so was Ted Kord. Times change though. I do have to agree with seeing Dick revert back to Nightwing however; that's who he is and he needs to build on that identity.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By SmoothJammin
    @entropy_aegis:
    yessss how epic would he have been in BFTC
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @SmoothJammin:
    In fairness batman does have have arguably the most consistently better stories than the others,but i'll say one thing Robin :Year one and especially Nightwing:Year one are waaaaay better than Batman:Year one.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By jrock85
    @entropy_aegis:

The fact that he's maintained a massive fan base for over 70 years and continues to be a commercially successful  speaks volumes about the character. You can definitely make a strong argument that he's the greatest character of all time.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By SevanGrim
    @SmoothJammin said:

" @FadeToBlackBolt: How is Dick a flat character? He has waaaaay more range than emo Tim/ sadistic Jason and even Bruce sometimes. Batman is interesting because of his intelligence, take that away and he's as textbook as they come. He devotes his life to being the legendary batman, unfortunately it doesn't leave much time for having a social life as opposed to Dick, who loves what he does and is pretty good with balancing the light & dark. But I digress, just my opinions after all. "

How exactly is Tim emo? I mean, i have yet to see him sulk around for anything that didnt warrant it (like dead heroes or family), and even then he puts that shit away and does his duty, and has his relationships. He's almost as intelligent as Bruce, and much smarter than Dick. The only reason Tim couldnt have been Batman is because hes like the 5th best fighter in the Batfamily. But tactics, acting, detective skills... hes top of the line almost everything else (almost because i will admit Dick is probably stealthier than him).
      And Jasons disposition is because of how much crap is going on in his mind. he has this massive sense of duty thats being overshadowed by these feelings of betrayal, hatred, and revenge he feels for everyone he ever loved (and though its slightly irrational, some of these feelings are warranted).

IMO bruce is the flattest character in the lot. He has no "one and only" love interest. He has no real outside life. He is just the job. Tim and Dick both have everything he has, and then some, with women, motivation, and life experiences much broader than Bruce's.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By jrock85
    @Grim:
    If anything, I think the reason why Bruce is so invested in being Batman is because it serves as a coping mechanism to drown out the pain of losing his parents. Although he has started to open up a little more to his friends and allies as of late. Tim and Dick have been able to deal with their losses a little better which is why they're not as emotionally distant as he is and can develop more interpersonal relationships. On the flip side, this also gives Bruce an advantage over them because he can wage war on crime without all the distractions that come with being more social. In my opinion, the one thing that Bruce has that neither Dick, Tim, nor anyone else will be able to surpass is his will to succeed. He never gives up no matter what and this is why millions of fans have gravitated towards him in his 70+ years of existence.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By SevanGrim
    @jrock85: oh yeah. The great thing about Batman is that he never quits, and its imbedded into every fiber of his being.
     it only sucks from a dramatic perspective. How do you make any sort of romantic or comedic situation with him when no matter what he will get what he wants, and the job will always come before his own personal gain? You cant. not really. and that s why, with Bruce, it will always be action. and thats awesome.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Grim:
    Neither Dick(who's stuck between Barbara and Kory the same way bruce is under Selina and Talia)or Tim have a singular love interest either ,hell bruce may even have an advantage cause Talia is a full time villianess now and and i honestly can't even remember the last time they kissed excluding flashbacks ofcourse. And you must not have read the earlier stories from Legends of the Dark Knight which delve on the character,Tim does'nt have anything close to that level of character building stuff.
    SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SmoothJammin

The point I was really trying to get across through my follow up posts with fadetoblackbolt was exactly that-- Bruce the man has little depth and as bats he's just this emotionless sphinx with a casualy wry sense of humor. In all respect to his iconic legacy, I find that quite boring. But I get it, he's the tragic hero and 50 years from now people will still love him for that. The rest of the bat family operates a little bit differently and I really dig that they're all so human and how there's atleast one that people can identify with.

About Tim, I've always secretly admired him. My only quarrel with how he's characterized now is that ever since infinite crisis and maybe a short time before that they've tried to mold him into Batman lite by entering so much tragedy in his life. What was wrong with having parents/going to school/him having best friends? Somewhere along the way he stopped being this happy go lucky kid who looked up to Dick and his heart got colder. His image as Robin and its counterpart version Red Robin are like night and day, something I never got used to.It was weird for me seeing him treat Stephanie like dog$%&# in the RR series & outcasting himself from the rest of his family and friends brooding about how drastic events in his life had become so he would opt to take a darker route. I'll give him credit though in that his book has been consistently good since its inception but he's basically being turned into a carbon copy of Batman :/ 

Jason I'm indifferent to ..

RobbieNigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By RobbieNigma

I like Dick as the new Bats..but I rather see him as Nightwing again

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By John Valentine

You're a bit late.

Jason has proven, time and time again, that he's too violent, too psychopathic to be Batman. If you think Dick lacks discipline I can't see how you'd even consider Jason.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#62  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

dick or tim only. Jason todd is a homicidal maniac (one you can sympathize more but a homicidal maniac nonetheless).

damian isnt any better. hes already murdered several peole (wich bruce convieniently forgot about)

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jrock85

Judd Winick's characterization of Jason Todd is the best and most accurate. He portrays him as a tormented young man who is consumed by rage but still knows the difference between right and wrong. He's the perfect shade-of-gray character under Winick's pen. Tony Daniel on the other hand tried to ruin the character during The Battle For The Cowl and even admitted that his intention was to turn Jason into a bona fide villain. I'm really glad that Winick got to write a three issue arc of Batman and Robin featuring Jason. Hopefully he will undo some of the bad characterization started by Daniel.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By John Valentine
    @jrock85 said:
    " Judd Winick's characterization of Jason Todd is the best and most accurate. He portrays him as a tormented young man who is consumed by rage but still knows the difference between right and wrong. He's the perfect shade-of-gray character under Winick's pen. Tony Daniel on the other hand tried to ruin the character during The Battle For The Cowl and even admitted that his intention was to turn Jason into a bona fide villain. I'm really glad that Winick got to write a three issue arc of Batman and Robin featuring Jason. Hopefully he will undo some of the bad characterization started by Daniel. "
    Grant Morrison didn't really work on undoing that characterisation.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jrock85
    @John Valentine:

He sure didn't.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#66  Edited By jakob187

The obvious answer is Jean Paul Valley.

TrenchesComic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TrenchesComic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfjKlsqyvNY    

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#68  Edited By jakob187
    @TrenchesComic: All that made me think of was the Daredevil movie.  Stupid Evanescence.
    yankeemanf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By yankeemanf
    @Rudyftw:  if anything todd lacks the discipline that bruce has

i would chose dick grayson. I think he has been doing a great job as batman already and grayson is my favorite comic book character i think he is great to read bout....tim drake owuld be my close second pick cuz drake in essence is bruce the 2nd everything drake does is what bruce would do but imo drake is a duller character that is why i wouldnt want to see him be batman
    _Wildcard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By _Wildcard_

Jean-Paul Valley, just to mix it up...(just kidding, please don't kill me)

TrenchesComic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By TrenchesComic
    @_Wildcard_:  SMH
    Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By Rudyftw
    @yankeemanf: Todd lacks alot that Bruce has, I think it would be cool if Batman killed once in a while... And i'm not sure about him being a Dull character, hes hated and disliked by alot of pple, but I doubt that its because hes dull... I think it's cuz he was next in line after Dick, he was doomed from the start, because EVERYONE loved Dick as Robin.
    SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SmoothJammin
    @Rudyftw:
    Do you love dick(grayson)?
    Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Rudyftw
    @SmoothJammin: Naaa bro

..... I see what you did there, you deserve a trophy or something
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Rudyftw said:
    " @yankeemanf: Todd lacks alot that Bruce has, I think it would be cool if Batman killed once in a while... And i'm not sure about him being a Dull character, hes hated and disliked by alot of pple, but I doubt that its because hes dull... I think it's cuz he was next in line after Dick, he was doomed from the start, because EVERYONE loved Dick as Robin. "

No he died cause DC wanted to make Batman a grim,gritty character.And it does'nt exactly require a PHD to understand why Dick was more liked.
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:

"

dick or tim only. Jason todd is a homicidal maniac (one you can sympathize more but a homicidal maniac nonetheless).

damian isnt any better. hes already murdered several peole (wich bruce convieniently forgot about)

"

Bruce also forgot about Selina killing Black Mask.He was trained as a killer by an assasin organization,i'll even try to come up with scans of LOA and KOBRA agents being perfectly brainwashed to the death.
    yankeemanf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By yankeemanf
    @Rudyftw:  no i didnt say jason tood was dull i said tim drake was dull if anything todd is the opposite of dull and u said u would to see batman kill every once in a while.....NO!!!!! thats what makes batman batman and not a criminal or red hood because batman doesnt kill
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By John Valentine
    @Rudyftw said:
    " @yankeemanf: Todd lacks alot that Bruce has, I think it would be cool if Batman killed once in a while... And i'm not sure about him being a Dull character, hes hated and disliked by alot of pple, but I doubt that its because hes dull... I think it's cuz he was next in line after Dick, he was doomed from the start, because EVERYONE loved Dick as Robin. "
    Batman DOES NOT kill. You're right, Jason's not dull, he's a psycho, one that shouldn't be allowed near the mantle of one of DC's most respected characters.
    No, it's because Dick's smarter, a better detective, more acrobatic, more like Bruce.
    yankeemanf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By yankeemanf
    @John Valentine:  exactly what im saying i think if dick is given a legitimate chance he could prove to be just as good a batman as bruce if not better...i think they should give him a legitimate opportunity to have the batman cowl say like in a diff universe or just a diff comic book where bruce actually did die and doesnt come back to show how good of a batman he can be
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By John Valentine
    @yankeemanf said:
    " @John Valentine:  exactly what im saying i think if dick is given a legitimate chance he could prove to be just as good a batman as bruce if not better...i think they should give him a legitimate opportunity to have the batman cowl say like in a diff universe or just a diff comic book where bruce actually did die and doesnt come back to show how good of a batman he can be "
    Dick's the main, Gotham Batman, though. For the time being. He's also on the current JLA as Batman too. Bruce's return hasn't really damaged him being Batman at all.
    yankeemanf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By yankeemanf
    @John Valentine:  yes but i would like to see dick be the long-term sole batman in the entire world
    Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Rudyftw
    @yankeemanf said:
    " @Rudyftw:  no i didnt say jason tood was dull i said tim drake was dull if anything todd is the opposite of dull and u said u would to see batman kill every once in a while.....NO!!!!! thats what makes batman batman and not a criminal or red hood because batman doesnt kill "

-Touche

@John Valentine said:
    " @Rudyftw said:
    Batman DOES NOT kill. You're right, Jason's not dull, he's a psycho, one that shouldn't be allowed near the mantle of one of DC's most respected characters.
    No, it's because Dick's smarter, a better detective, more acrobatic, more like Bruce. "

Dude Jason is not A psycho, I only see him as a psycho in Battle for the Cowl, and thats not the real Jason, that was a writer being a douche a destroying a good character, Jason is troubled, but he doesnt go around shooting kids, He was pretrayed that way, because a certain writer didnt like him I guess.
    ZoddGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ZoddGuts

I rather have Todd turn into a Punisher type character taking out the bad guys without any remorse. He kinda already is, would be great if he would get he's own series.

Hush20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Hush20

Who says that it has to be Dick, Tim, Jason, or Damien? No offense to you guys, but you're being kind of narrow minded. There are other potential candidates then someone who was called Robin. Bane, for instance, could temporarily assume the mantle of the bat on his way to redemption. He definitely has the physical and intellectual skills. Terry McGinnis could appear in continuity as a possible successor. Hugo Strange could (temporarily) usurp the title of Batman, though not his heroic role in Gotham. Even Hush, with the right emotional motivation, could be a decent Batman.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Athanasia Al Ghul ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.