Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23667 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Gotham Discussion Thread

FanFicGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By FanFicGuy

Although Gotham is now over, I have yet to watch the series finale. Luckily my grandmother recorded it for me. So do not spoil it for me.

Who enjoyed the finale of Gotham?

*Update*

I have finally watched the finale. I loved it. It was good seeing Batman, although he wasn't show completely until the final scene. The show ended very well. I loved it and will forever miss it.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
    IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...I have mixed feelings on the finale. Final versions of Gordon, Riddler, Penguin, Alfred, both Barbaras...no complaints on any of them. The plot? Good enough. Really only 3 things to focus on here.

1. Jeremiah/Joker -- bit of a disappointment (first time I've said that for the character). And I don't mean Monaghan's performance, I mean the look. It worked much better in the posters than on screen. Really found myself wishing he had more hair lol.
    2. Bruce/Batman -- Didn't like the distorted voice, thought the costume (cowl in particular) looked a bit cheap, and I wouldn't have minded an actual apology to Selina. Or more than 6 lines of dialogue. Maybe an actual face reveal of future Bruce Wayne (then again, if it was still Mazouz, makes sense why they wouldn't).
    3. Selina/Catwoman -- I fully understand, and even agree with, Camren not wanting to do the finale since she's basically played Selina in real time, and now the character would be 28. But for some reason, Lili Simmons just looked...off. More importantly: Where were the ears? Did someone not explain how "Cat"-woman works?
    kmb501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By kmb501

Meh...Gotham wasn't any better than those horrible comics they're writing, so I can't really show it any love. They lost me during one season, where they kept killing and resurrecting characters to better match their comic book counterparts. That was a really cheap plot device, and it broke the immersion of the story for me. Just because a story universe has plot cheat devices, they should be used responsibly and in ways that make logical sense for the story. I feel like the writers got lazy, especially with Pam, Freeze, and Riddler.

...and don't get me started on the Jerome / Jeremiah / Joker plot. For starters, I don't know why they only pulled from recent comics for the proto-Joker's characterization. It was nice that they tried something, with Jeremiah being Bruce's friend before the accident and whatever, but I still feel like they didn't give Jerome any real motivations for what he did, and despite his reign of terror on Gotham, he just didn't come off as much of a "Joker" to me. Joker is never a monster at first; he starts out as a somewhat normal redeemable person and either grows into it or breaks after a catastrophic event. Sure, Jerome's Joker had his moments and the acting was spot on, but the writing and general story was lacking. Plus, the Joker is a fairly complex character, and he's hard to translate into live action anyway. People don't seem to get that he's not just a straight-up psychopathic murderer; he's a dark comedian who often has very profound statements about life and surprising insight that can get you laughing at rather dark material and situations. Even Heath Ledger's Joker did that, and that was one of the darkest live action portrayals to date. Plus, there's the slightest hint that he doesn't really understand that what he's doing is wrong, and that creates a sense of moral ambiguity for the character. The best Joker is a character you want to sympathize with due to his insight and attitude, but you can't because of all of the atrocious acts he commits. Even the newer comic book writers get the character wrong, though. That doesn't mean I don't expect them to give us a good portrayal of the character in other media, though!

Riddler wasn't great either, but the acting was okay. One complaint I have about him, though, besides he and Jerome's age difference, is that he didn't draw from any of Riddler's established lore. It's okay to tell an alternative story if it's a good one, but the plot was rather weak. Riddler is supposed to be a self-absorbed super intelligent maker of puzzles, ingenious crime schemes, and death traps. In the War of Jokes and Riddles, the Riddler created Kite Man by manipulating events so that they played with the man's psyche in just the precise manner. Riddler is a genius at setting up improbably scenarios like that! The Riddler on Gotham, though? Meh...more like a Riddler cosplayer. The actor looked and acted the part, but the plot was just...hum drum.

noithatduyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see these

Zsasz

Bane

Joker

Harleen Quinzel

I think Gotham will end off like A.O.S...

For instance. Like 17yr/old Bruce comes to kill Joe Chill and he's shot dead. If they introduce Batman the story ends there instantly.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@kmb501 said:

Meh...Gotham wasn't any better than those horrible comics they're writing, so I can't really show it any love. They lost me during one season, where they kept killing and resurrecting characters to better match their comic book counterparts. That was a really cheap plot device, and it broke the immersion of the story for me. Just because a story universe has plot cheat devices, they should be used responsibly and in ways that make logical sense for the story. I feel like the writers got lazy, especially with Pam, Freeze, and Riddler.

...and don't get me started on the Jerome / Jeremiah / Joker plot. For starters, I don't know why they only pulled from recent comics for the proto-Joker's characterization. It was nice that they tried something, with Jeremiah being Bruce's friend before the accident and whatever, but I still feel like they didn't give Jerome any real motivations for what he did, and despite his reign of terror on Gotham, he just didn't come off as much of a "Joker" to me. Joker is never a monster at first; he starts out as a somewhat normal redeemable person and either grows into it or breaks after a catastrophic event. Sure, Jerome's Joker had his moments and the acting was spot on, but the writing and general story was lacking. Plus, the Joker is a fairly complex character, and he's hard to translate into live action anyway. People don't seem to get that he's not just a straight-up psychopathic murderer; he's a dark comedian who often has very profound statements about life and surprising insight that can get you laughing at rather dark material and situations. Even Heath Ledger's Joker did that, and that was one of the darkest live action portrayals to date. Plus, there's the slightest hint that he doesn't really understand that what he's doing is wrong, and that creates a sense of moral ambiguity for the character. The best Joker is a character you want to sympathize with due to his insight and attitude, but you can't because of all of the atrocious acts he commits. Even the newer comic book writers get the character wrong, though. That doesn't mean I don't expect them to give us a good portrayal of the character in other media, though!

Riddler wasn't great either, but the acting was okay. One complaint I have about him, though, besides he and Jerome's age difference, is that he didn't draw from any of Riddler's established lore. It's okay to tell an alternative story if it's a good one, but the plot was rather weak. Riddler is supposed to be a self-absorbed super intelligent maker of puzzles, ingenious crime schemes, and death traps. In the War of Jokes and Riddles, the Riddler created Kite Man by manipulating events so that they played with the man's psyche in just the precise manner. Riddler is a genius at setting up improbably scenarios like that! The Riddler on Gotham, though? Meh...more like a Riddler cosplayer. The actor looked and acted the part, but the plot was just...hum drum.

I'm a bit late, but I'd like to respond to your comment.

First off, it's too long for a comment, most that came here didn't skipped reading it !

Second, you say "They lost me during one season" - but yet you talk about the Joker and the Riddle that aren't in season one !

Then you sayd "don't get me started on" - but you make a massive talk about him !? -

"Joker is never a monster at first" - how to you know that ? He has multiple origin stories and no one knows which is his true one !

" Jerome's Joker had his moments and the acting was spot on" - so what's the matter then ?

"Plus, the Joker is a fairly complex character, and he's hard to translate into live action anyway" - really ? He's been translated in 1 tv show, severall animated shows, 3 movies, and Gotham. So is he really that hard to translate ?

"People don't seem to get that he's not just a straight-up psychopathic murderer; he's a dark comedian who often has very profound statements about life and surprising insight that can get you laughing at rather dark material and situations." - hmm how nice of you. Oh wait ! Who didn't know that again ? (other than Scott Snyder maybe).

"Even Heath Ledger's Joker did that, and that was one of the darkest live action portrayals to date." - But does the Joker need to be so dark ? Have you seen how he was written up to the 60's ? Way more clowny than he is now. Whas he non the less a great vilain ? Yes. So he is way more that what you say ! Check your facts !

"Plus, there's the slightest hint that he doesn't really understand that what he's doing is wrong" - well if you've read the comics or seen the animated serie, you'll see that often he doesn't see the wrong in what he's doing.

"The best Joker is a character you want to sympathize with" - heu.. no ! - My favorit Joker story is the one-shot written by Brian Azzarello, and I surely don't want to be his friend.

"Even the newer comic book writers get the character wrong" - it's not about getting him wrong or right. There is no wrong or right - The Joker has had many different version through time. You just don't like his newer versions for some reasons. But I will agree, that the stories involving him have been a bit lame recently.

"Riddler wasn't great either, but the acting was okay." - Are you Joking ! It's probably the best live/animated Riddler to date.

"Riddler is supposed to be ..." - what !? Don't you see that Gotham is not canon with the main comics ! There is no fixed rules on how each characters are exactly suppose to be !

"In the War of Jokes and Riddles" - oh yes, that mediocre story by Tom King - how can this story be your refference !

To conclude, I will agree that some plots on Gotham were a little lame, but some actings where just excellent.

Just a question, have you ever seen a better Super-hero live show than Gotham (other than off course Daredevil) ?

Bernkastelll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love batman

boystrong1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By boystrong1002

It was extremely enjoyable, engaging, and something I was looking forward to. I'll keep watching the remainder of the season,

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.