Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9580 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

Dick Grayson Batman

• 65 results
    SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Nathaniel_Christopher:

I personally still miss the blue. And the finger stripes. :(
    I personally still miss the blue. And the finger stripes. :(
    Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Dhor

@SmoothJammin said:

@Dhor said:

offtopic: is it me or the current batmobiles are really ugly? i love the design in Batman beyond but what they use now is just horrible in my opionin

What did you think of the Batmobile from when Dick was Batman? I actually liked the coupe/hovercar look and thought it could work really well for him as Nightwing. It still exists in the new 52 btw! The Batman Beyond version might just be my favorite design of the vehicle.

mine also. i would really like to see a "not so futurist " Batman beyond vehicle in the new 52, in the regular Batman titles. it would be a cool way to link Batman to Batman beyond

I personally enjoyed Dick as Batman. I know that Bruce IS BATMAN but what happens with the cape when he dies? No more Batman? Dick showed that there will always be a Batman.

i also enjoyed the series because of Damian. i like his character more when he was Dick's Robin. IMO dick is a better mentor to Damian and the connection between the 2 was great

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Dhor: Nice observation! Dick was the catalyst for a legacy of hope in Gotham, the world even. The mystique/myth of Batman would've become a tall tale. I'm glad he set the standard for all the batmen that came after, just as he did the Robin mantle.

I always wondered if Tim will eventually get a turn.. although I'm sure he'd do fine. Honestly I believe If Tim grew up and became an evil mastermind his stock would raise exponentially. I can see him siding with the Al Ghuls.. poor Damian in that case, lol. Tim/Damian has the potential to be a huge rivalry in the future, akin to Naruto/Sasuke if you read manga. Reboot has dumbed down their tension a bit, but the animosity has to still be there somewhere.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#54  Edited By ReVamp

@BlackArmor said:

I haven't thought being Batman was about being a "Solitary motherf*cker" for a very long time,

That was an obvious, humorous oversimplification.

how large is the Bat Family now anyway?

Not really relevant man, he alone even among them.

I wouldn't exactly call Bruce a loner with as many kids as he's adopted.

He adopted them, but he doesn't open up to people.

What I meant about Dick not suiting the role is that Batman is about fear and a professional seriousness that has to be up most of the time,

Dick can make people fear him better than Drake and he's serious, unless he's written like a fcking dumbass.

Dick can cause fear and he can and often is serious and professional but for him to step those aspects up to the level that is necessarily for Batman to have wouldn't be fun,

Fighting Crime isn't fun.

it wouldn't be Dick anymore.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Nightwing can be just as effective as Batman

As Bruce? Probably not.

and while I would pick another robin to take the mantle I would assign Dick to the role Batman has in the Super community including Batman's position in the Trinity.

Don't understand.

Let's face it if Batman smiles as often as Dick tends to h then he looses his effect on criminals,

The whole thing of him smiling was OOC. Very badly handled, and that's most probably why you're so against it. That isn't really Dick. Its who Dick is as a person, but not who he is as a crime fighter.

he can still beat them up but Batman prevents some crime just by being this supernatural thing, Dick could start smiling like the Joker which would also scare criminals but that's as out of character as if he just never smiled again.

Okay...

Dick Grayson represents things and Batman represents different things

No. Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne represent different things. Obsession vs Life, Frienship vs Lonesomeness etc etc.

Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne however represent Batman both all the same, just not what Batman Bruce Wayne was. He's less Cold and Calculating, but on the other-hand, he's just as capable and quick on his feet (so to speak).

looper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By looper

Dick Grayson as Robin= Ok

Dick Grayson as Batman= Good

Dick Grayson as Nightwing= Best

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Oblivious said:

Dick Grayson as Robin= Ok

Dick Grayson as Batman= Good

Dick Grayson as Nightwing= Best

Great thread bump!

My stance after Snyder's run on Detective Comics: Dick proved to everyone he WAS a world beater, spending time as Batman was no longer a concern of his or Bruce's. It even bleeds over into his characterization as Nightwing(circa Higgins run) currently where he's slightly darker but still the Dick Grayson we all know and love.

It's hard to discredit Dick for being the original Boy Wonder for me, mainly because it was a different time then, comics generally were less violent. Personally.. I love the campy stuff, lol. That's just me. He set the standard for being Batman's junior partner, canonically he may have been Robin the longest out of anyone and lived to tell about it. That's saying something. He's destined for greatness..

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By spidershamrock

@SmoothJammin: In the new timeline how long was Dick Batman, I'm not reading any Nightwing or Batman stuff and I'm just curious if Bruce's timeline holiday is still canon and Dick took over. I was told Final Crisis is no longer canon and I'm so confused.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I miss Bat-Dick.

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By cc1738

@spidershamrock: Dick was Batman. It states he was in the first issue of Nightwing. It also comes out and says Bruces was gone for an extended period of time. As to how long Dick was Batman, I don't think they've come out and said it.

Don't worry about all the details. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to keep everything straight. I'm not sure if all of Final Crisis is intact. I personally think it happened, just the details may be a little different. Otherwise they would need to explain why Dick became Batman and where would Bruce went.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By Trodorne

Bruce wayne is a joke and can go suck a floppy one. Richard was awesome as batman and actually got me reading the batman series.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SmoothJammin

@spidershamrock said:

@SmoothJammin: In the new timeline how long was Dick Batman, I'm not reading any Nightwing or Batman stuff and I'm just curious if Bruce's timeline holiday is still canon and Dick took over. I was told Final Crisis is no longer canon and I'm so confused.

I heard it was around a year..

Bigbadwolfx0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this is old but still want to say something , I really did not like the idea if dick being batman at all for multiple reasons the top one is how much he complained about it after batman "died"

Dick should of felt a great amount of honor becoming the batman, I would of got him being ng scared that of letting Bruce and the mantle down, another thing was his build at the time. I have read the Grayson comic and would feel much better If he had to wear the mantle again would feel better now he now has the right build and close to the right batman like attitude.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigbadwolfx0: Well. You have Nightwing who at this point has effed off and done his own thing in New York, was moderately successful fighting crime there. We then come to find out Batman has perished at the hands of the Black Glove/Darkseid/what have you. From Dick's POV he always knew there'd come a day when Bruce would pay an ultimate price for wearing the mantle. In the back of his mind he chose not to subscribe to those thoughts until.. lo and behold he is summoned to Gotham by Alfred, to face his own worst fears.

So now he's back in town burying his father and fulfilling a destiny he'd been running away from most of his adult life. It's not about prestige when you don the cape and cowl it's about keeping the legacies line moving forwards because Batman is bigger than just one person. It's an idea, a beacon. Wherever there's a Batman hope springs eternal. For Dick it meant abandoning his more wayward inclinations. Suddenly he's now tasked with representing the best humanity has to offer. At first he feels betrayed Bruce left such a big hole in their lives. Eventually though, being the great performer he is Grayson settles in.

I'm sure a vast majority of readers didn't mind Dickbats succeeding(stepping in for) Bruce. Morrison himself admitted the work he'd done on Batman and Robin when Dick & Damian were on the title was what he was most proud of looking back on his 7 year run. He mentions how DC made a HUGE error in bringing Bruce back so suddenly, as he'd have easily written Dickbats for another 10 years.

The thing I'm most impressed by in Agents of Spyral was how steadily he learned not to box himself in as the stereotypical nice guy. Grayson was forced to dig deep so many times. Watching him face moral dilemmas intrigued me because on a deeper level I knew he was learning skills on the job he'd eventually put forward to great use as Nightwing. I understand why people are upset whenever status quo changes. Seeley and King just so happened to be an anomaly. Two crazy dudes who decided to change Grayson's world forever in a big way. And man did they ever.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: With all the new creative changes DC has undergone, they've brought in a ton of new staff here and graciously provided me with an office over at DC headquarters in Burbank. It's not a huge deal really.. I share it with a couple other guys where we serve as a think tank advising editorial and various writers on particular titles.

I'm honored by Mr. Johns consideration to revert Nightwing back to blue. Because of the embargo on Rebirth stuff I can't reveal too much at the moment, althou--pffffthaha jk jk LOL. I kid! Honestly I think a majority of the readers preferred the blue. Not completely sure why they went along with Renegade 2.0 look but whatev. It's great how they are bringing the company back to it's roots, I for one am stoked they're finally listening to their fanbase.

They got the right guy in Seeley, he's going to be a real game changer as far as Nightwing is concerned. Call it a hunch. Dude's not going to be dropping the baby on it's head, you watch.. he's going to pat some powder down on that badboy, pamper it, feed it some roided out milk and watch it grow up SKRONG. Just you wait.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.