cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
DateMS Painting #3ViewAttached to ForumLast Issue:
02/15/23The Tomb of Horror Classics(Blog) (Forum).Artist Show-Off..MS Painting #2.

Unfortunately, the Horror Classics fan-fic group didn't last very long, but I enjoyed the stories. The Tomb of Horror Classics was the library, and it was a lot of fun to make. Why? Because I got to marry screenshots of the old movie title screens with the gorgeous art of Francesco Francavilla. When this group needed a library, Francavilla's classic movie monster art was going around. I snatched it up, chopped it in MS Paint, and used it for the library.

For the group logo though, I used the image that TommytheHitman used when he proposed the group. Of course, I put it in MSP, and added the text:

No Caption Provided

The only thing that would make that image better is if all of the characters shown had gotten stories in the group. As it turned out, there were only four titles: Invisible Man, Jekyll and Hyde, Creature From the Black Lagoon, and Roanoke. I only made logos for three of them, and I'll show those in the next few comment boxes.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
No Caption Provided

The title is a screenshot from an old movie, used by TommytheHitman in chapter one of his story. The picture is from a poster done by Francesco Francavilla. I cropped it to fit the logo, and blacked out some text.

Here's the gorgeous original image:

No Caption Provided
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
No Caption Provided

The title is from a screenshot for an old movie, but is severely 'shopped. I blacked the background and changed the size. The picture is from a poster done by Francesco Francavilla. I needed the image to be square, to properly fit the logo, but the original image was rectangular. So I chopped it, moving Jekyll upwards so he is in the shot with the shadow of Hyde. I blacked out text, and cropped it to fit the logo.

I gotta be honest: I really hated doing that. I mean, just look at this art:

No Caption Provided
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cbishop
No Caption Provided

The title is a screenshot from an old movie. I blacked out the background, and stretch/skewed it to fit the logo. The picture is a poster done by Francesco Francavilla. I blanked out some text, and cropped it to fit the logo.

This was the easiest one to do, because I just cropped it right below the head, and boom, I was done. I actually do like the head by itself, but Francavilla's work is amazing:

No Caption Provided
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cbishop

Unfortunately, Francavilla didn't do any artwork in relation to Roanoke, and I couldn't find anything that fit with the tone of his artwork on the others. I'd still like to make a logo for Roanoke at some point, but this group is long dead, so very honestly I may not get around to it.

Making this library wouldn't have been as much fun with that fantastic artwork. The timing of running across those was perfect.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cbishop

Thanks for checking it out.

Next Issue: Heironyverse.
Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cb

Text content owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2023.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cbishop
No Caption Provided

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cbishop
#3: The Tomb of Horror Classics
#3: The Tomb of Horror Classics

Magistros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As someone who loves watching Hammer horror films, these are totally awesome.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who loves watching Hammer horror films, these are totally awesome.

Francavilla's art is amazing. I almost feel like a crook using them for this library, but meh, it's just fanfic- there's no money changing hands or anything. The pics came together with the movie titles really well. :)

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

motherf$&*ing Tom Cruise single-handedly ruining their comeback with his colossal ego...

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cbishop
@amazing_webhead said:

motherf$&*ing Tom Cruise single-handedly ruining their comeback with his colossal ego...

I have no idea what you're talking about. Please explain. :}

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop said:
@amazing_webhead said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Please explain. :}

basically from what i've heard he singlehandedly usurped control of the 2017 Mummy movie from its actual director and made it focus almost entirely on his character

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

basically from what i've heard he singlehandedly usurped control of the 2017 Mummy movie from its actual director and made it focus almost entirely on his character

Ohhhhhhhhh, that. I haven't even seen that version, and I'm not sure why it got greenlit except that it was part of the whole attempt at reviving the Hollywood monsters as a franchise (and honestly, they should have put that to bed after that Van Helsing crud they put out lol). That kind of yanked the carpet out from under Brendan Fraser for The Mummy franchise that he had starred in. I know it was supposed to be a different thing, but I didn't feel like Fraser's franchise was done yet when the Cruise vesion came along. Mister Fraser seems to have a whole other set of problems going on that it seems like (I hope) he is starting to come back from, but dang I would have liked to have seen more Mummy movies from him. :)

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop said:
@amazing_webhead said:

Ohhhhhhhhh, that. I haven't even seen that version, and I'm not sure why it got greenlit except that it was part of the whole attempt at reviving the Hollywood monsters as a franchise (and honestly, they should have put that to bed after that Van Helsing crud they put out lol). That kind of yanked the carpet out from under Brendan Fraser for The Mummy franchise that he had starred in. I know it was supposed to be a different thing, but I didn't feel like Fraser's franchise was done yet when the Cruise vesion came along. Mister Fraser seems to have a whole other set of problems going on that it seems like (I hope) he is starting to come back from, but dang I would have liked to have seen more Mummy movies from him. :)

i liked Van Helsing...

and yes, Frasier's Mummy series was better