-Skyfather CaV: Nightmare(Marvel) By Andromeda1001 Vs. Highfather(DC) By Chimeroid- / Open For Votes

• 92 results
Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Andromeda1001

Nightmare(Marvel) By Andromeda1001 Vs. Highfather(DC) By Chimeroid:

No Caption Provided

The Rules:

• Morals Off/Bloodlust.
  • Random Encounter.
  • Standard Power-Levels.
  • Pre-Crisis/Post-Crisis/Rebirth/New 52 Highfather.
  • Win by any means, minus BFR.

Dream Dimension
Dream Dimension
Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

*farts*

tag for posts

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for chris2kzombieki
chris2kzombieki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeusCarnivoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Good luck

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting matchup.

TAEP

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@andromeda1001: thanks for making the thread. I've always been too lazy to do that stuff myself:)

Baldur_Odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TAEP.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Andromeda1001

@chimeroid said:

@andromeda1001: thanks for making the thread. I've always been too lazy to do that stuff myself:)

No problem! So, would you like to go first? I don't mind going myself, but I know little to nothing about Highfather.

TAEP.

Sure.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda1001: I'd say whoever finishes the post first should do it :)

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taep

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BigBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice. Will be reading this, but don't know if I'll vote.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By geekryan

T4V

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Andromeda1001

The Lord of Dreams, Phobetor, The Eater of Hopes, Ruler of The Mindscape, Master of Fear, The King of Terror!:

No Caption Provided

Overall Power/Handbook Entries/History/Description:

Nightmare's been described as an incredibly old and powerful demon who haunts the dreams of humanity since its dawn, possibly as old as the first dream in the universe. He comes from a reality above the Sixth-Dimension known as Everinnye, which's the home of other Lovecraftian-like entities such as the Dweller In Darkness(Who believes it or not, it's a spawn of the Old One Cthulhu). Every time someone falls asleep, they wander through the borders of his Dream Dimension unknowingly. We can basically say that Nightmare is the Freddy Krueger/Pinhead of the MU, but of course, on steroids. All beings in existence and no living entity is outside of his sphere of influence and that means whether be superhumans like Hulk, gods like Thor or cosmic beings such as Eternity...All are his prey. His main powers are the inducement of fear and its projection into reality itself(Reality-warping, in other words), energy-beams, trap the souls/psyche of others, telepathy, invulnerability to physical attacks and so on(Marvel Encylopedia: Spider-Man, Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe- Horror Edition of 2005, Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol.1#8, The Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe- Deluxe Edition#2, Marvel Encylopedia: Marvel-Knights, The Mysterious World of Doctor Strange and Marvel: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know).

INSIDE HIS REALM - THE DREAM DIMENSION:

• Scan 1-2 ) In his realm, while holding Eternity, grows bigger than planets and smashes them with his own hands(Doctor Strange#182). It should be noted that it were all Earths from the past and all that will be. So like, almost endless numbers:
  • Scan 1-2-3-4-5 ) Putting the Avengers to sleep and creates a universal event for them, defeating them with his dreaming constructs(Avengers Vol.6#7):
  • Scan 1-2-3-4-5-6 ) Defeating Doctor Strange in an almost downright stomp after the later challenges him in the Dream-Dimension(Strange Tales Vol.2#7).

• Scan 1 ) Nightmare defeated several Beyonders, toying with them until their energies dissipated(Doctor Strange: Nexus of Nightmares).
No Caption Provided

OUTSIDE HIS REALM - NEUTRAL DIMENSION:

• Scan 1-2 ) Nightmare fighting both All-Father Thor and King Loki simultaneously and apparently having the upper hand as well, only being defeated after a sneak attack of a snowman powered up by the Norn Stones(Loki Vol.3#1).
  • Scan 1-2 ) Nightmare getting the upper hand against Loki while using a fricking traffic sign as weapon, even though Loki was armed with Thor's Jarnbjorn(LokiVol.3#4).
  • Scan 1-2-3 ) Nightmare re-created the Big-Bang made by Sise-Neg/Genesis inside of Mordo's room(Doctor Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts#10).
  • Scan 4-5-6-7-8 ) By channeling one-third of Earth's dreams, Nightmare imprisoned Eternity and put the abstract into an eternal slumber if not for Doctor Strange(Doctor Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts#13).

STRATEGY:

My strategy will be Nightmare mentally attacking Highfather. Nightmare's power and influence on the mind is well documented. For example:

• Scan 1-2) Mikaboshi using the powers of Nightmare to subdue every mortal/hero/villain mind(Chaos War#1):

In fact, Doom pretty much explained that Nightmare is actually the subconscious energy of all mankind(Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural#5):

No Caption Provided
  • Scan 1-2 ) Nightmare himself has even turned all the bad dreams of the world into reality(Avengers: The Initiative#30):

Which was confirmed by the official guidebook The Mysterious World of Doctor Strange:

No Caption Provided
  • Scan 1-2-3 ) Together with Dweller-in-Darkness, plaguing the entire Earth with fear(DSSS#40):

He's been shown to extend way beyond that in certain instances, such as the entire universe(Doctor Strange: The Fate of Dreams):

No Caption Provided

The rough translation is:

"And I'll see if I can think of a way to help you before all dreamers in the universe are driven to madness?"

Nightmare, was once again, mentioned to be able to harness the dream energy of the entire universe, if sees fit(The Mysterious World of Doctor Strange):

No Caption Provided

So Nightmare's control over the mind can reach even to universal levels. The power of dreams has been shown to be extremely powerful. Take Spiderman, for example. With the powers of the Dream Dimension, Peter overwrote reality itself and could become its all-powerful god(Symbiote Spiderman: Alien Reality#5):

As for Nightmare's nature himself, I'm unsure if Highfather can take him down. Nightmare is an abstract entity, which makes him an essential part of reality(Scarlet Witch Vol.2#14, Doctor Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts#34):

Nightmare's immortality also extends to cosmic levels, Loki himself said that fighting him is useless since could effortlessly stitch back himself(Loki Vol.3#4):

No Caption Provided

Nightmare's base durability does change from story to story, but recently, took a reality-breaking punch from Ms.Marvel in Thunderbolts Vol.4#5:

Another point is Nightmare's control over the dreams and his dimension:

• Scan 1-2 ) Creating an entire plane of existence with his own essence(Marvel Comics Presents#121-122).
  • Scan 1 ) Stopped Doctor Strange from crossing his realm, showing that Nightmare can be anywhere in his realm(Morbius: The Living Vampire Vol.1#9).
No Caption Provided

So Highfather may have some problem taking him down.

FEATS:POINTS:
Nightmare is extremely powerful.Nightmare can likely overcome Highfather with pure power.
Nightmare can easily control minds.Nightmare could likely take over his mind.
Nightmare is extremely hard to put down.Nightmare can't be seemingly put down.
Loading Video...
Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda1001: Didn't know you did CaV. But why highfather against nightmare?

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TAEP!

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mage101 said:

@andromeda1001: Didn't know you did CaV. But why highfather against nightmare?

I did several, actually. This is my fourth CaV, I believe.

As for why Highfather, well, Chime was the first user to accept doing a CaV with me. He wanted to use Highfather, so we went with it.

@mage101 said:

TAEP!

Sure!

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mage101: If you wanna see some more CaV's that I did, here:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/skyfatherhell-lord-cav-mephisto-andromeda1001-vs-o-2283878/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/the-ultimate-dark-lord-cav-dormammu-andromeda1001--2290589/

The last one was with Cosmoman, who sadly had his post deleted by a rouge mod after being flagbanned multiple times.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumpy.

mr-yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TAEP, please.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DivineTeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m excited for this one.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if it's just the intro, good job so far, especially the formatting. Funny to see you wanking that Jed feat after everything you said about him lol

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: Even if it's just the intro, good job so far, especially the formatting.

Thanks!

Funny to see you wanking that Jed feat after everything you said about him lol

No Caption Provided

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@wastelandman: Even if it's just the intro, good job so far, especially the formatting.

Thanks!

Funny to see you wanking that Jed feat after everything you said about him lol

Remember when you said that you considered Jed far too inconsistent to take seriously, and would never consider any feat from him to be a reliable showing, no matter how good? Cus I do! kek

BigBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BigBaby

Nice opening! Quite a solid start.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

Remember when you said that you considered Jed far too inconsistent to take seriously, and would never consider any feat from him to be a reliable showing, no matter how good? Cus I do! kek

The past is in the past, Zets. Lol

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mage101: If you wanna see some more CaV's that I did, here:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/skyfatherhell-lord-cav-mephisto-andromeda1001-vs-o-2283878/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/the-ultimate-dark-lord-cav-dormammu-andromeda1001--2290589/

The last one was with Cosmoman, who sadly had his post deleted by a rouge mod after being flagbanned multiple times.

Wait rogue mod lol, CV is funny no wonder most of my posts got deleted.

I'll check those later.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda1001

Great opener. You have shown me things about Nightmare I definitely didn't know. Also, I am fully jealous of how nice you made your post look.

Note: I do not make it a habit to cite sources of comics I used for my debate as most of the scans are coming from my PC and my naming convention is more than a bit stupid. However, if you want any citations to help your New Gods readings (if you want some)

Intro

I am well aware of the challenge that lies ahead of me. For in this battle, I don't only need to represent Highfather as he usually is, but as he is at his most powerful, as a Godhead of Izaya with all of the importance of one of the New Gods while he resides in the God Sphere. I will have to shake the "known" status of the "tiers" of the New Gods to have a chance to remain in this debate.

Izaya the Inheritor / Highfather of New Genesis (Composite)

Did you think that just because I cloak myself in gentleness and persuasion I lack power?

No Caption Provided

Izaya the Inheritor, was a warrior of New Genesis, and is now the undisputed Ruler of the New Gods who dwell on it. He is Darkseid's counterpart (and brother in N52), and the protector of the Source who seeks to bring peace to the multiverse. As New Gods are "Gods above Gods" and they have their own shadows in lower realms. Izaya is effectively the God above Moses. Or, should i say it better, Moses is a Shadow of Highfather.

This debate is different than the usual Highfather debate for two reasons. We decided to go with the "concept" debate and have it in the Sphere of the Gods.

Morrison's Map - The Sphere of the Gods

No Caption Provided

Quick Summary:

The Sphere of the Gods sums up to these qualities:

• Encompasses divine and magical realms within the DC Universe.
  • Possesses an immaterial and metaphysical nature.
  • Home to the Archetypal Powers and Intelligences inspired by Plato and Plotinus.
  • Composed of literal possibility, forming itself before Creation's completion.
  • Intricately connected to the beliefs and ideas of mortals.
  • Depicted as an all-encompassing sphere.
  • Emphasizes the transcendence of conventional space and time, as seen with Wonderworld.

And, importantly for us, it includes New Genesis and the Dreaming (Nightmare as well)

Expanded

Now, I would love to explain the Sphere of the Gods in detail, but someone else has already done it quite well, goes by PrinceOfTheMorning, so i will just be using their explanation.

The Sphere of the Gods is the overarching realm containing the godly and magical realms of the DCU and possesses an immaterial, metaphysical nature. It is home to the Archetypal Powers and Intelligences of the DCU (note here the blatant references to Plato and Plotinus). The realm is stated to be made of literal possibility and formed as an encompassing sphere around Creation before Creation had even finished forming. It is deeply tied to, and possibly indistinguishable from, the ideas and beliefs of mortals.

The very first thing you should note here is from the Map itself. Refer back to Wonderworld, stated to orbit creation itself on the utmost limit to space and time. From that, it is quite clear that Morrison is taking his Platonic references seriously, as the Realm of Ideas is supposed to completely transcend the concepts of space and time by their very nature.

This is where the New Gods exist, and this is where this fight will take place

The Effect on This Situation / The Nature of New Gods

Quick Summary of This Part

• The New Gods in the God Sphere are unbelievably large, dwarfing planets, and potentially universes.
  • All feats of New Gods interacting within the Speed Force Wall come with New Gods heavily nerfing themselves just to exist on a lower plane.
  • Even after dying, Darkseid decided to let his real body fall over the multiverse, the fall of him threatened to destroy everything.
  • In that regard, Darkseid isn't "special". All New Gods are like this.
  • Fodder New Gods are creating Universes while meditating
  • Highfather himself threatened to spin Orion in a "Cosmos of Torment" and proceeded to rip reality and create a cosmos for Orion to suffer in.
  • This Section is there to match your feats of Nightmare in his Realm. The next Section will be to match his feats Outside the Realm

Yes, we are in Dream, but in the Sphere of the Gods, New Gods are not just your run-of-the-mill herald/teambuster characters. In this Sphere, they are actual Gods. In fact, they are far above regular Marvel and DC gods as even the likes of Greek Gods from DC are just what remains of the God Wave's energy by the time the energy went through New Genesis to Earth.

I mean, you might remember the showing of Superman and Orion dwarfing planets from the multiverse and Superman being shocked by that.

New Gods are Unimaginably Large

The multiverse of DC exists on a lower level than the New Gods do. Just to interact with the universe, all New Gods have to significantly nerf themselves.

Do you remember Darkseid dying, and it almost destroying the Multiverse? The only reason that was happening was that his death caused his actual body to start falling on the multiverse outside of the Sphere of the Gods, which had some very real effects, such as a "time crunch" where "weeks got smashed into days"

And Darkseid isn't the only one that is the platonic ideal with the "True Form".

They are Platonic Concepts, and their weapons are as well
They are Platonic Concepts, and their weapons are as well

As Batman explains, New Gods are living ideas. Platonic concepts from a different world. And Darkseid isn't the only one whose existence is beyond universal. They all are.

No Caption Provided

You have to bear in mind, this isn't Orion creating illusions or attacking anyone. He is just showing them a glimpse into his true form.

Their conceptual importance and existence go as far as having New Genesis Gods creating Universes while meditating ("twisted" due to the madness that came from Orion tainting the Source, which in turn, influenced the gods)

No Caption Provided

When annoyed (and slightly insane), Highfather himself was capable of spinning a cosmos just to threaten his adopted son with Disciplinary action.

No Caption Provided

Their feats usually don't look like much. Because they way their powers work is usually just not flashy enough.

They exist and influence things, but when they want to intentionally interact with lower levels of existence, they rarely showcase themselves as being much more powerful than really strong heralds. I mean, even his howls can shake the cosmos and extend his voice across the multiverse so that Orion can hear him on Earth.

Highfather's "Regular" Feats

Destroys a massive fleet of ships, larger than New Genesis (one should remember that New Genesis is, according to some writers, almost galactic in size, according to others, it's merely hundreds or thousands of times bigger than Earth)
Destroys a massive fleet of ships, larger than New Genesis (one should remember that New Genesis is, according to some writers, almost galactic in size, according to others, it's merely hundreds or thousands of times bigger than Earth)

When we aren't talking about universe-shaping forces of the New Gods, the Highfather is much more reasonable as a character. Let's see how his usual battle feats compare to what Nightmare did outside of his realm.

Naturally, being the wise-old "Moses" archetype, we don't get a lot of combat feats for him in the PC Continuity, but in Post Flashpoint, for a while, we had a very different Highfather. Why? Because he was so ridden with guilt over Mr Miracle's faith the Source had to remove his emotions from himself (and thus create the Infinity Man, the one to carry his empathy). So, i will use feats from all DC continuities (Rebirth made them all canon anyway)

Kyle Rayner lost control of the Life Equation until Highfather stepped in to help him.

This doubles as a durability feat as Highfather was not influenced by the reality warping caused by Kyle's accidental use of the Life Equation

Right after saving the Universe, highfather effortlessly deflected an attack from five Temple Guardians (Oans)
Right after saving the Universe, highfather effortlessly deflected an attack from five Temple Guardians (Oans)

Oh, and make no mistake, in this story, Kyle was Universal in power.

The next showing i want to discuss was when Izaya decided to face Mister Miracle during the time Scott Free attained access to the same power Highfather wields.

Mister Miracle fights the Black Racer and WINS

That in and of itself shows that Highfather would easily and consistently beat the God of Death if he chose to. But, he then proceeded to do something else. Just easily take away the weapon from Scott and effortlessly defend against Scott's following attack.

No Caption Provided

Both high level energy manipulation and reality warping don't do much to him, while he himself has spread destruction at a much higher scale than you've shown Nightmare can withstand.

Physical Feats

While demeaning himself to fisticuffs is not something Izaya is known to do frequently, he definitely has the physicals to do a LOT to anyone stupid enough to try and trade with him:

Speed

For starters, he is more than quick enough to completely outpace Nightmare whether in physical combat (which Nightmare rarely uses, but he does have a tendency to reach there) or in reactionary speed allowing him to defend himself or chain attacks against Nightmare.

1. Casually reacts to Omega Beams, and has time to rethink his reaction and allow himself to be hit 2. Travels with Darkseid to the edge of the Multiverse within seconds (we know it's a short timeframe because it happened and resolved during a fight)

Highfather has also effortlessly reacted to Lightray's attacks, and transformed Lightray into a ball of mud before the light of his attack reached Izaya.

Strength / Combat

While, like Nightmare, you aren't very likely to get Highfather to fight you physically, one big difference is that you really do not want to catch those hands. Highfather has consistently shown that he can physically contend with Darkseid, and that includes the Teambusting New 52 Darkseid (to be clear, Darkseid was always powerful enough to be a teambuster, but he was physically lacking before New 52, post Flashpoint his physical feats went up by quite a margin, and Highfather is right there with him, as you will see)

So, let's quickly cover some of Highfather's physical feats before we move on:

1. Physically Matches Darkseid in battle 2. Confirmation that their fight was a week long fight where most other gods perished. But the two of the remained.

Most famously, he matched Uxas in a pure 1v1. The same Uxas that was fighting the entire Justice League, and doing quite well until they pushed him through a Boom Tube.

Quite effortlessly beats Sinestro and Parallax (entity) with a few strikes

If you want feats for Darkseid or Sinestro to make sure this scaling is impressive. Feel free to ask.

Battle Considerations

I do like it when my opponents have a strategy in mind from the first post. It makes it much easier to start debating.

The Mental Attack

So, your official first move is to resort to using mental attacks. For that, I have one huge issue. And that is that you haven't actually shown us Nightmare ever do it. While this battle is bloodlusted, that doesn't mean that Nightmare will do things he never did.

Furthermore, it's hard to scale feats from someone else using an aspect of your powers. Especially if that someone is vastly more powerful than yourself.

So, when you show Mikaboshi do something, you really can't argue Nightmare is capable of doing the same.

But, just because i think you don't get access to that feat, doesn't mean that i don't have counters ready. First of all, the showing itself has one BIG keyword in it - MORTAL minds.

No Caption Provided

I would like to turn your attention to the fact that neither Thor nor Hercules were affected. Highfather is no mortal. In fact, in the cosmology of DC, he stands at a higher level of divinity than Thor.

No Caption Provided

It was well-explained by Thor

But, just to make sure I'm not skipping anything. Highfather does have defensive abilities for mind control.

1, 2 - Beating white lantern Kyle in his mind scape 3 - Motherboxes (of which Highfather has one) can repel any influence from minds of people and gods.

Highfather was also the only god to resist Bekka's Love "aura". Of course, I fully expect this area to become a big back-and-forth, I think we will have fun.

Nightmare's Resistances

You are correct. Putting Nightmare down will be difficult. I mean, not impossible, as you implied, given that Mikaboshi showed us that all you need to do is remove his heart and destroy it:

No Caption Provided

But, I am under no illusion it would be easy for Highfather.

Thankfully, there are other avenues for me to explore. For starters, I hope you understand I didn't pick and choose my feats at random. There's a reason I've shown Mister Miracle using Highfather's powers to depower and banish the Black Racer. Being a conceptual entity doesn't give you unquestionable protection from the likes of Highfather.

Even with that in mind, I would also like to remind you that Nightmare has been defeated many times. In fact, every time. You don't have to kill your enemies permanently to beat them, or to win a CaV. Even if Highfather doesn't find a way to utterly destroy Nightmare, he doesn't have to, for me to win.

Highfather has abilities that would allow him to depower Nightmare, at least to a degree, turn him into a ball of mud, or BFR him to a cosmos designed specifically to torment him. Now, not saying I would go for a BFR win, but moving the fight from Dreaming into the New Genesis, for example, would benefit Highfather.

I am not saying any of those would for sure happen, I am just pointing out that there are, in fact, many ways for Highfather to take the W here.

Summary

There are a lot of dubious feats that you posted, and I might get to ask you some uncomfortable questions a bit later, depending on how this debate goes. But, for now, I don't feel like there's a need to do that. Highfather has no-sold reality warping before when Guardians of the Universe were completely taken by Kyle's power over the Life Equation. And Nightmare's reality-warping isn't that much more impressive.

If it ever came to trading blows, we saw that Highfather is much more powerful, and his more "esoteric" abilities give him avenues into defeating Nightmare.

In fact, from your table at the end, it seems to me like you're the one with the work cut out for you, trying to prove what you can do to Highfather.

So, let's check the table points. (and I do apologize, but I simply lack the talent to make my post look as nice as you did)

"Nightmare can likely overcome Highfather with pure power."

I hope I have shown enough of Highfather to at least convince you this is in no way a mismatch. And, I am fairly certain I have shown enough so that, for now, it seems like Highfather is the one wielding more power than Nightmare, not the other way around.

"Nightmare could likely take over his mind."

Not with the feats you've shown. I will hold my judgment for a short while until your next post. But it definitely seems like it simply wouldn't work.

"Nightmare can't be seemingly put down."

Nightmare has been put down many, many times. It is very difficult to kill him. That's for sure, but even that isn't really impossible. But putting him down? I mean, his win-lose record vs Strange is already abysmal and even Dazzler was capable of thwarting him.

I want to be very clear, I am not trying to downplay his powers. Nightmare is amazing. but I wouldn't say that he "Can't be put down". realistically, I believe Izaya has what it takes to win.

Ok, the introductions have been done, and the debate can hopefully start now. Let's have some fun.

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: Cool opener.

Why didn't you tag anybody?

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: Nice! I might take some while to reply, though. I might be moving to another city soon, so might interfere with my post.

@mage101 said:

@chimeroid: Cool opener.

Why didn't you tag anybody?

Notifications are down, anyway.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda1001: take your time, there's nobody policing this one

@mage101: because notifications have been dead for like 3 weeks now and I'm slowly losing all hope for humanity:)

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mage101

@chimeroid: @andromeda1001: The notification stuff actually skipped my mind. I'm starting to get used to it and I don't like that.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mage101 said:

@chimeroid: @andromeda1001: The notification stuff actually skipped my mind. I'm starting to get used to it and I don't like that.

i don't know how you do it, i keep forgetting to check threads and have to actively remind myself which threads i want to check up on.

mr-yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice opening posts.

DivineTeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great opening

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V, good so far….

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Andromeda1001

THE LORD OF DREAMS! THE RETURN OF THE KING OF NIGHTMARES!

No Caption Provided

COUNTERS! - The Mental Attack:

So, your official first move is to resort to using mental attacks. For that, I have one huge issue. And that is that you haven't actually shown us Nightmare ever do it. While this battle is bloodlusted, that doesn't mean that Nightmare will do things he never did.

What? I have shown him using it on Eternity and the Avengers, for example. His latest appearance in Avengers(2023)#7 has him starting attacking the Avengers by putting them to sleep:

As proved in the recap of the next issue:

No Caption Provided

Furthermore, it's hard to scale feats from someone else using an aspect of your powers. Especially if that someone is vastly more powerful than yourself.

So, when you show Mikaboshi do something, you really can't argue Nightmare is capable of doing the same.

Thor is more powerful than Xavier, but has no psychic abilities. Can you prove to me that Mikaboshi even had that sort of power before absorbing Nightmare? At any level? Besides, Nightmare's supposedly inferiority to Mikaboshi isn't exactly set in stone either. He was even said to dwarf Amatsu-Milaboshi and Lord Chaos, being in the same ballpark as Eternity as a conceptual being(Scarlet Witch Vol.2#14):

No Caption Provided

But, just because i think you don't get access to that feat, doesn't mean that i don't have counters ready. First of all, the showing itself has one BIG keyword in it - MORTAL minds.

I would like to turn your attention to the fact that neither Thor nor Hercules were affected. Highfather is no mortal. In fact, in the cosmology of DC, he stands at a higher level of divinity than Thor.

It was well-explained by Thor

The problem is, Nightmare has put Thor to sleep as shown in the scans I posted right above. Now, let's review how Thor broke out, shall we?

Avengers(2023)#8
Avengers(2023)#8

Simple answer: Wanda. If wasn't for her, Thor likely wouldn't be able to set himself free. The instance in Chaos War was to show his range, but Nightmare has indeed affected divine beings before.

But, just to make sure I'm not skipping anything. Highfather does have defensive abilities for mind control.

Highfather was also the only god to resist Bekka's Love "aura". Of course, I fully expect this area to become a big back-and-forth, I think we will have fun.

Well, during Loki: Journey Into Mystery Prose Novel, even Hellstrom's exorcism was unable to break Nightmare's grip over minds:

No Caption Provided

Again, I don't doubt that Highfather has resistance to it, but again, Nightmare has:

• Scan 1-2-3 ) Together with Dweller-in-Darkness, plaguing the entire Earth with fear(DSSS#40):

He's been shown to extend way beyond that in certain instances, such as the entire universe(Doctor Strange: The Fate of Dreams):

No Caption Provided

The rough translation is:

"And I'll see if I can think of a way to help you before all dreamers in the universe are driven to madness?"

Nightmare, was once again, mentioned to be able to harness the dream energy of the entire universe, if sees fit(The Mysterious World of Doctor Strange):

No Caption Provided

COUNTERS! Nightmare's Resistances

You are correct. Putting Nightmare down will be difficult. I mean, not impossible, as you implied, given that Mikaboshi showed us that all you need to do is remove his heart and destroy it:

It's funny for you to say that since Nightmare has already survived Amatsu-Mikaboshi attacking his heart before:

Chaos War - Ares Vol.1#1
Chaos War - Ares Vol.1#1

Mikaboshi has gotten progressively more powerful in Chaos War, so much that it could kill Nightmare. Besides, I don't know why you're using that example. Mikaboshi has casually defeated Zeus in a similar manner, by impaling him:

Chaos War#2

And I'd argue that Zeus should be around the same level as Highfather, at least in that storyline. Besides, we see instances of Nightmare shrugging off Strange's spells:

Doctor Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts#34

But, I am under no illusion it would be easy for Highfather.

Thankfully, there are other avenues for me to explore. For starters, I hope you understand I didn't pick and choose my feats at random. There's a reason I've shown Mister Miracle using Highfather's powers to depower and banish the Black Racer. Being a conceptual entity doesn't give you unquestionable protection from the likes of Highfather.

Even with that in mind, I would also like to remind you that Nightmare has been defeated many times. In fact, every time. You don't have to kill your enemies permanently to beat them, or to win a CaV. Even if Highfather doesn't find a way to utterly destroy Nightmare, he doesn't have to, for me to win.

Highfather has abilities that would allow him to depower Nightmare, at least to a degree, turn him into a ball of mud, or BFR him to a cosmos designed specifically to torment him. Now, not saying I would go for a BFR win, but moving the fight from Dreaming into the New Genesis, for example, would benefit Highfather.

I am not saying any of those would for sure happen, I am just pointing out that there are, in fact, many ways for Highfather to take the W here.

I can see that Highfather is powerful and all, but I disagree with many of your points. Such as teleporting him out of his realm or leaving the Dream Dimension at all. Odin Force/All-Father Thor himself has admitted that couldn't leave the Dream Dimension, even with all his power, all Thor could do is bring the Avengers together and break the artifice:

Avengers(2023)#8
Avengers(2023)#8

Nightmare himself says that no one leaves his dimension without him wanting to. This is important because Thor was able to destroy and break free from a dimension created by Odin himself:

Thor(2020)#13

That dimension was situated below the Yggdrasil Tree itself, as one of its many realms:

Thor(2020)#12
Thor(2020)#12

As for transmuting Nightmare, I'd say the same could happen. Nightmare has turned Doctor Strange into stone, shrunk his size and so on:

Strange Tales#122

This means Nightmare must also have a resistance to it, as well.

There are a lot of dubious feats that you posted, and I might get to ask you some uncomfortable questions a bit later, depending on how this debate goes. But, for now, I don't feel like there's a need to do that. Highfather has no-sold reality warping before when Guardians of the Universe were completely taken by Kyle's power over the Life Equation. And Nightmare's reality-warping isn't that much more impressive.

If it ever came to trading blows, we saw that Highfather is much more powerful, and his more "esoteric" abilities give him avenues into defeating Nightmare.

In fact, from your table at the end, it seems to me like you're the one with the work cut out for you, trying to prove what you can do to Highfather.

So, let's check the table points. (and I do apologize, but I simply lack the talent to make my post look as nice as you did)

It isn't more impressive? Nightmare explicitly said that created an iteration of the Eighth Cosmos for the Avengers to fight in the Dream Dimension:

No Caption Provided

And as shown in Ultimates Vol.3#6, the Eighth Cosmos is actually an entire multiverse:

Another thing that backs up that up, it's Thor himself. He was in another "reality" created by Nightmare that it's normally outside of the 616 universe, which was Asgard.

No Caption Provided

So yea, I believe it was a multiverse. Kyle's reality-warping might be more impressive than Nightmare's while the latter is out of his realm, but I don't think that's the case inside. Besides, Nightmare has several reality-warping feat, as I posted in my first reply:

Or:

• Scan 1-2 ) Creating an entire plane of existence with his own essence(Marvel Comics Presents#121-122).

If you want something more recent, then these came out just a few years ago:

• Scan 1-2-3 ) Nightmare warped the real-world into his nightmarish dimension, putting all heroes and villains into dreams(Marvel#1).

Or even more recently:

• 1,2,3,4,5 ) Spiderman with the powers of the Dream Dimension overwrote reality itself and could become its all-powerful god(Symbiote Spiderman: Alien Reality#5):

I hope I have shown enough of Highfather to at least convince you this is in no way a mismatch. And, I am fairly certain I have shown enough so that, for now, it seems like Highfather is the one wielding more power than Nightmare, not the other way around.

I don't believe this is a mismatch, no, but I don't think Highfather wields more power either. Nightmare was said to be unstoppable in his place of power:

Loki: Journey Into Mystery Novel
Loki: Journey Into Mystery Novel

And The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Horror 2005 also says that Nightmare is virtually omnipotent inside his realm:

No Caption Provided

Nightmare has been put down many, many times. It is very difficult to kill him. That's for sure, but even that isn't really impossible. But putting him down? I mean, his win-lose record vs Strange is already abysmal and even Dazzler was capable of thwarting him.

I want to be very clear, I am not trying to downplay his powers. Nightmare is amazing. but I wouldn't say that he "Can't be put down". realistically, I believe Izaya has what it takes to win.

Ok, the introductions have been done, and the debate can hopefully start now. Let's have some fun.

Like all comic characters, Nightmare has wins and loses. Some of them are contextual, while others are not. The point is that Nightmare has also gotten progressively more impressive in current/modern times.

I mean, I don't believe Highfather is unbeatable either, no? Nightmare himself has shown the ability to grow more powerful as the battle wages, too:

Loki:Journey Into Mystery Prose Novel
Previous Points:Conclusion:
Nightmare still has sufficient power to win.Highfather can still be overpowered.
Nothing was shown the mental ability to win.Highfather's mind can still be his downfall based on Nightmare's control over dreams/nightmares themselves.
Loading Video...

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just now seeing this, glad this is still going down.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nicely done so far

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After 4 billion years of waiting a counter was made lol.