Has Young Justice become too woke for its own good?

• 44 results
modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By modernww2fare

Poll Has Young Justice become too woke for its own good? (77 votes)

Yes 66%
No 34%

• 
kilgpmktra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it possible for people on this site to not speak in buzzwords?

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, but it has become terrible

SamJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it possible for people on this site to not speak in buzzwords?

They’re incapable

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Kidd

Kinda, Halo is just a mess of a character who has every buzzword under the sun.

She is a:

1. Refugee
  2. PoC
  3. Muslim (but not really)
  4. Bisexual
  5. Non Binary
  6. Metahuman

A few other things, some clashes with eachother. I remembers muslim fans calling out Weissman cause they view Halo as a fake muslim also bisexual fans had issue with her for some other reason.

Avatar image for poedameronsbutt
Poedameronsbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop.

Subline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should have revived the Green Lantern animated series instead, Young Justice is ass bad

Darkvanderling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Darkvanderling

Almost everything is woke these days.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

Kinda, Halo is just a mess of a character who has every buzzword under the sun.

She is a:

1. Refugee
  2. PoC
  3. Muslim (but not really)
  4. Bisexual
  5. Non Binary
  6. Metahuman

A few other things, some clashes with eachother. I remembers muslim fans calling out Weissman cause they view Halo as a fake muslim also bisexual fans had issue with her for some other reason.

Honestly I don't know why they tried to make her a Muslim and then put her in a relationship with a girl and then was using pronouns. Like wouldn't Muslims feel insulted? lol

Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aystarr
advent_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She literally checks off the diversity hire checklist.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By AllStarSuperman

It’s just so boring. I want to watch superhero’s in action and what did I get when I tried to watch it last night? Beast Boy having an intervention, its total wtf shit.

Mahfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subline: Ironically they've given us just a tiny bit of closure for that show.

Phantom25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Phantom25

Young Justice got revived due to an endless Twitter/Tumblr campaign so Young Justice is obligated to pander.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was straight up embarrassing and cringe to watch. No wonder some no name comic book that got popular by proclaiming its 'non-woke' made so much money. People are tired of this clown shit. Way too much leftist garbage in american media nowadays.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The show has so much stuff that's either truly brilliant, or painful to watch. I focus on the stuff I like. Granted that sequence above is well.... bad. Final 3 episodes were great. Can't ever forgive what they did to Mary though. Wish the Legion did more.

At this point it's really only for nerds like me who really like the DC universe

Loading Video...

Also, Halo is now basically a different character from who she was in the comics. Like, wtf even?

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wow lol😂

We just gonna keep dogwalking comics🔥🔥

No Caption Provided

yejj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not woke

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

season 1 was incredible. had they continued with that team with no time skips it would’ve continued to be incredible, but instead they decided to constantly swap around characters for an unknown reason. the show was okay in season 2, terrible in season 3, and bad in season 4

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not just that it's rather woke, but it emphasizes social issues and being politically "correct" too much as well. Couple that with the fact that the writing is just dogsh*t, and it's painful to comprehend. It's infuriating to see the dip from Season 1 and even 2 to what it is now. They literally had the formula right there, in their own show, as well as its predecessors, yet it failed so horribly. But hey, at least Seasons 1 and 2 still exist.

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no such thing as "w0k3", you just need to go outside

MultiVelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MultiVelda
@the_gaurdian said:

what the fuck does "woke" even mean? I think i've been sleeping under the rock for too long

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@multivelda: That's the funny part: It means nothing lmfao. If you ask someone to clearly define what "wokeism" is in their minds you'll get a word salad because it means absolutely nothing. The best description for it is that it's just a way for comicsgate/mens rights activists to say they hate women and minorities being given a spotlight in any capacity without just outright saying that because they'd rightfully be told they're full of shit.

NOHOOUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@multivelda: That's the funny part: It means nothing lmfao. If you ask someone to clearly define what "wokeism" is in their minds you'll get a word salad because it means absolutely nothing. The best description for it is that it's just a way for comicsgate/mens rights activists to say they hate women and minorities being given a spotlight in any capacity without just outright saying that because they'd rightfully be told they're full of shit.

being woke is calling everyone else a racist, sexist or a homophobe while hiding behind their own racism, sexism, homophobia

ManimalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@multivelda: “stay woke” was originally a term used by black people to mean “be aware of injustice and descrimination”. Then a bunch conservatives got tired of buzzwords like SJW, NPC, Lib etc. and started using woke to describe anything they think is trying to be socially progressive. Now conservatives call anything remotely diverse or inclusive woke because apparently yoh have to focus mainly on straight white American men to make a good show.

A lot of them use it to describe unrelated things that they don’t like as well like vaccines or walkable urbanism.

Anyways, Halo being being a bunch of different things is fine, she’s a corpse being puppeted by the ghost of alien computer. Expecting her to be straight or even understand the concept of gender would’ve been weird.

And the show does a good job of balancing people from all over. I think halos interesting and like that she was a parallel to vic but I do think the show made her too much of a main character and kind of neglected the OG cast and legacy characters for her.

What I did find jarring was khalid’s backstory, his dad not believing in magic while living in world of magic users was dumb, and I didn’t need to know his converted to islam or that converted somehow means she’s not allowed to do magic anymore.

ManimalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The garfield depression storyline and superboy trapped for a whole season ruined YJ for me and they had nearly nothing do with diversity and inclusion.

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOHOOUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nohoour: no it's not, go outside

take your own advice. learn to know the difference between criticism and actual hate

Rick_Bateman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rick_Bateman

@multivelda:

@the_gaurdian said:

what the fuck does "woke" even mean? I think i've been sleeping under the rock for too long

Wokeness started out as something truly noble, it was meant to bring awareness to the systemic issues and social issues minority groups face. Just open your eyes and be aware that the way us black people live is different than you and not for the better.

Then it got hijacked by the white management class.

What wokeness ended up becoming is an ideology defined by intolerance and a need for superiority.

Not so much about solving the issues its members consistently talk about or discuss, but by signaling to fellow members how "good" they are, and attacking people who dissent.

i.e. I'm black and was called "anti-black" by a white kid in the suburbs because I do not like Anette from Castlevania : Nocturne.

Anette and Nocturne's setting was a "signal" Look at how great we are, we have an African Swordswoman and we are in the French Revolution which was "good" (It wasn't. . . and a LOT of African mythology they used is completely and utterly wrong despite them wanting to use it).

It's basically a Mega Church where a lot of white people go, instead of Church they go on social media, and the pastor is whoever happens to be signaling in this moment.

DrB00m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DrB00m

No, I liked halo, the shows subject matter wasnt really woke, the storylines just became shit, but thats not what this thread is about even

jimohkolawol10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No i still love the show and the writing and context of the show is very certifying.

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least with all the nonsense WB and HBO are going through they probably won't have the opportunity to screw the show even more with a 5th season.

TheDevil98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man it's so hard to see a show that I liked so much fall so bad. Season 1 and 2 were epic. Season 2 was even better than season 1 imo. It was peak. Then it all went downhill from there. Sure there are woke elements in the later seasons, but those didn't bother me as much as the shitty storylines.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Too woke? Tf does that even mean?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show catering a little more to Black superheroes, interracial dating, LGBTQ+ superheroes, and mental health wasn't what was wrong with the show in later seasons. The problem was that the writing was all over the place at certain points. The later seasons were good (and sometimes decent), but not as great as the first two seasons on Cartoon Network. Plus, there was a noticeable decline in animation quality during the later seasons. It wasn't bad, though.

Halo identifying as non-binary makes sense. Their body is possessed by a Mother Box, which has no gender. That's kind of a stupid thing to complain about. It's just as stupid as people complaining about Morph being non-binary in X-Men '97 when they're a shapeshifter (can literally be any gender and/or no gender). Funny thing about it, the people that complained about Morph (the least popular X-Man in the show) never cared about them in the original series.

Seconded.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

no

ManimalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ManimalMan

@straight-fire: basically some people think the cast including non-white, non-straight, non-male characters and their issues in prominent roles inherently makes something bad or preachy.

ManimalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woke is practically meaningless term at this point.

Anyways my problem with the later seasons of YJ was the uneven pacing, the cast being too large to focus on characters we're invested in, the unfocused story, and the shift in tone.

The whole beast boy depression arc lasted way too long and ended up being exhausting. The super boy phantom zone stuff lasted too long and became exhausting. The geoforce arc felt really unfocused and exhausting.

There are definitely some moments that felt preachy imo, like I didn’t need a whole discussion on the nuances of Khalid’s mom converting to Islam. Or any of the stuff with Harper Roe. And Halo was interesting but took way too much time from the rest of the cast.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It means that there is a lot of political ideas favored by far left reddit/twitter types injected into the show for no other reason then to pander to said types.

I swear, you "there is no such thing s woke" people are too much. It's like pointing to something that's the color green, and having to explain to you why it's green.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear, you "there is no such thing s woke" people are too much. It's like pointing to something that's the color green, and having to explain to you why it's green.

The bigger problem is that the term "woke" is widely misused. It had a completely different meaning before the term was hijacked, and changed to mean something else.