starship hulk vs immortal hulk

PooPooEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just read starship hulk, and I wasnt interested before, but after reading I enjoyed it. Tbh I liked it more than immortal hulk. Thoughts?

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thedailybagel  Moderator

From the perspective of basically everything that makes a good story Immortal Hulk is a billion times superior. It's probably the best Hulk run ever imo.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I haven’t read Starship Hulk, but from the bit I’ve heard about it, the battles are big, bombastic, and fun to read, but the whole concept is just silly.

I can’t picture that possibly being better than Immortal Hulk.

PooPooEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: why not just read it before giving a take?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@poopooeater: I don’t really read Marvel anymore. All the characters I’ve read for decades were getting unnecessary retcons and being turned into whatever was closest to the MCU, so I was sick of spending money on books expecting to read a character I’ve grown up with only to have them changed just so they could be a copy of the MCU. I don’t know why they can’t keep the 616 characters separate, and just write comics that are part of the MCU with those characters.

But I’ve heard a lot about Starship Hulk, and it’s not the type of Hulk book I’d want to spend money on. I’m not the type to just spend money on something I don’t like, and then give incentive to Marvel to keep writing terrible comics.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thedailybagel  Moderator

@poopooeater: Deleted your post, links to sites like that are against the rules on the forums.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starship hulk is the best hulk run since pak... if you just want large scale feats and aren't actually interested in hulk's character or history at all.

Whereas Immortal Hulk is one of the best big two comic book stories of the millennium.

jafarpb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jafarpb

I'm probably misinformed, I'm very new to comics, but I've been told that the reading order should be Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, and then Immortal Hulk and that they are all tied together and will be the source material for the new PKJ run. What is your recommendation https://9apps.ooo/ ?

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thedailybagel  Moderator

@jafarpb said:

I'm probably misinformed, I'm very new to comics, but I've been told that the reading order should be Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, and then Immortal Hulk and that they are all tied together and will be the source material for the new PKJ run. What is your recommendation?

Depends on how much you want to read honestly. Immortal Hulk ties into allot of Hulk’s history including stuff that was established in the 80s and 90s, but I wouldn’t say any of it is required to understand what is going on. There are multiple runs between WWH and Immortal Hulk anyway.

Although I’d say it definitely makes for a more interesting reading experience if you notice all the references to past stories. I would recommend Pak‘s stuff (Planet Hulk, WWH, incredible hulks) anyway as it’s really good as well.

PKJ’s run is pretty heavily inspired by Immortal Hulk though, and ties into the end of Starship in terms of Hulk and Banner’s relationship. PKJ’s run has been a slow burn so you wouldn’t miss out waiting for a while for things to get a bit more interesting.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

Immortal and it's not close at all. All Cates run is is action, Immortal has that plus just vastly better story and characters. The horror setting is also just way more intriguing. I don't hate Cates, his Thor run I really liked, but his Hulk story was a mediocre send off.

Philip's current Hulk run is a step up.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ProfessorRespect

From the perspective of basically everything that makes a good story Immortal Hulk is a billion times superior. It's probably the best Hulk run ever imo.

this + it's not really fair to compare something like Immortal to a run that was clearly unfinished and rushed due to unfortunate issues.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Aye, Starship was better!

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rajjarsalt

Immortal made extensive use of Jewish lore while being anti-semitic at the same time

PooPooEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aye, Starship was better!

finally a man of good taste enters the thread.

PooPooEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Immortal made extensive use of Jewish lore while being anti-semitic at the same time

wym, what was antisemetic about it?

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ProfessorRespect
@poopooeater said:
@rajjarsalt said:

There was some controversy related to the artist (not the first, certainly not the last) who did the art for the series adding in some questionable visuals in one page to go along with it.

if you didn't know, this explains it pretty simply

PooPooEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starship hulk is the best hulk run since pak... if you just want large scale feats and aren't actually interested in hulk's character or history at all.

Whereas Immortal Hulk is one of the best big two comic book stories of the millennium.

I dont really care about large scale hulk feats, since I don't like hulk that much overall. I just thought the premises and concepts were more interesting, and the it was generally more engaging.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rajjarsalt
@professorrespect said:
@poopooeater said:
@rajjarsalt said:

There was some controversy related to the artist (not the first, certainly not the last) who did the art for the series adding in some questionable visuals in one page to go along with it.

if you didn't know, this explains it pretty simply

Aye, the move was sneaky and the apology was cheeky...bro was out for blood

No Caption Provided
Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle123axe said:

I dont really care about large scale hulk feats, since I don't like hulk that much overall. I just thought the premises and concepts were more interesting, and the it was generally more engaging.

that's certainly opinion that you are allowed to have, and starship hulk is definitely a decent run for people who don't like Hulk

BAGMAN1236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Immortal hulk is one of the greatest comic book runs ever. Starship does NOT compare at all

PooPooEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whats with this wanking immortal hulk? You know what an actual all time great comic book is? Alan Moore's swamp thing. You know what an actual all time great comic book is? Worlds finest. Just stop.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator
@poopooeater said:

Whats with this wanking immortal hulk? You know what an actual all time great comic book is? Alan Moore's swamp thing. You know what an actual all time great comic book is? Worlds finest. Just stop.

Why should we stop liking a comic you don't like? We've already given our reasons why we think Immortal is better.