Why people do not debate Marvel and DC comics as much?

• 105 results
goldeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was just wondering what the reasons for people not debating comics as often anymore on Comicvine are.

I personally do not debate comics as there are so many iterations of the characters at this point that there is no such thing as power levels anymore.

For example, in some comic books Darkseid is multiversal and in other he is planetary. There is really no point anymore.

Agreeing on anything is hopeless as there is always something to contradict power levels. Is that the same with all of you?

vjbthe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New comic characters are pretty lame(@ least that's the general consensus on CV) and old comic characters have had just about every thread imaginable made already. Anime, manga, and especially live action hasn't been played out completely yet, even though threads are starting to get repetitive. Could just be the current population too. It's funny. I came to this thread to just disagree with you but going to the front page of battles shows you're correct. Comics aren't as front and center on the battle forums anymore

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ProfessorRespect

There's more weebs on the site who have migrated over from other sites. That's really it. Any confusion over stats is caused by lack of understanding.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rajjarsalt  Online

It's Oblivions fault

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's hard to make decent matches that haven't already been done

Avatar image for purplehairedni1
PurplehairedNi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There's more weebs on the site who have migrated over from other sites. That's really it. Any confusion over stats is caused by lack of understanding.

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dmnb2wavy
@professorrespect said:

But aren’t there are plenty of mcu/dceu debates as well? If not more so when they are airing? i feel like the reason comics don’t get as debated is just because they aren’t as popular in general

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think part of it is a lack of interest in American comics lately and overall feelings of apathy are bleeding into all areas of the fandom.

Talking who would win X vs Y is a side effect of shooting the breeze from a good story you just read. That's not happenin all that often these days. Nobody does battle forums for charters they don't like from stories they don't read, and they sure don't feel like catching up on 500 issues just so their forum post argument is a little bit better than the other guy's.

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Comics suck nowdays and Manga/Anime are kicking their asses so…..

Avatar image for miguelcervantes
MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics suck nowdays and Manga/Anime are kicking their asses so…..

This.

MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MiguelCervantes

Also, who wants to see (insert-any Justice League/Titans/New Gods character) vs (any Avenger/X-Men/F4 character) repetitive threads again?

The new characters from DC Rebirth are rarely getting new feats, the same with Marvel in the same period and doesn't matter how many times they reboot the stories don't appeal to the public have the effort to read it anymore.

MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, comics are so inconsistent that sometimes some people even don't want that mess to debate, characters that rely on 50-80 year old feats and shit stories (40s-60s).

MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC and Marvel most character need to be retired already, but they won't make it because it sells.

I would advise you guys start going for French comics, or anything that would get the attention. Start making RT on Indie Comics, IDK. Honestly, people are tired of Superman punching some Universal Alien and Batman outsmarting The God of Knowledge, or even Hulk getting even angrier than we thought he wouldn't become, they should try focus on the new generation, stop the wokeness, kill some characters, make an actual end for some superheroes because I honestly see no way of they getting out of this.

Maybe it's just me but I hate comics where there's no beggining and ending, Origin stories being retold and some normal stories being rebooted. I just can't anymore.

I was reading One Piece and Attack on Titan and honestly, those goosebumps I've felt were like nothing I ever felt before.

MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think part of it is a lack of interest in American comics lately and overall feelings of apathy are bleeding into all areas of the fandom.

Talking who would in X vs Y is a side effect of shooting the breeze from a good story you just read. That's not happenin all that often these days. Nobody does battle forums for charters they don't like from stories they don't read, and they sure don't feel like catching up on 500 issues just so their forum post argument is a little bit better than the other guy's.

This is so on point.

MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Any confusion over stats is caused by lack of understanding.'

Yeah, blame on the readers because multiple writers over the same character along decades of story telling is not the fault to begin with smh, normal people want reliability on what they're reading, if you think the lack of cognitive process of the conventional audience is the problem, maybe the executives really should stop treating it like the way it is because what their buyers want is what will sells.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ProfessorRespect
@dmnb2wavy said:
@professorrespect said:

But aren’t there are plenty of mcu/dceu debates as well? If not more so when they are airing? i feel like the reason comics don’t get as debated is just because they aren’t as popular in general

Because LA is a very accessible thing to get into. It doesn't require a lot of background info to really debate anything.

@miguelcervantes said:

Yeah, blame on the readers because multiple writers over the same character along decades of story telling is not the fault to begin with smh, normal people want reliability on what they're reading, if you think the lack of cognitive process of the conventional audience is the problem, maybe the executives really should stop treating it like the way it is because what their buyers want is what will sells.

There's literally numerous runs designed for new readers. Most writers will even specifically make sure that there's no baggage in terms of lore (Immortal Hulk, 90's Avengers, etc etc) As stated, if people are not able to find those, that's not exactly the issue of the publisher.

Also this whole "well I have to read DECADES of lore to figure out what is going on" is nonsense. There's no run that requires that much background info. If I want to jump into One Piece on the other hand, I kinda can't do that unless I start from the beginning.

ThunderPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talking who would in X vs Y is a side effect of shooting the breeze from a good story you just read. That's not happenin all that often these days. Nobody does battle forums for charters they don't like from stories they don't read, and they sure don't feel like catching up on 500 issues just so their forum post argument is a little bit better than the other guy's.

This is so true.

SpongeGar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpongeGar

Comics are becoming more inconsistent, I mean at one point they’re fast then the next get tagged by fodder. Also their stories tend to be bland and repetitive

MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's literally numerous runs designed for new readers. Most writers will even specifically make sure that there's no baggage in terms of lore (Immortal Hulk, 90's Avengers, etc etc) As stated, if people are not able to find those, that's not exactly the issue of the publisher.

You're partially right when you mention the specific run that hold no historical issue whatsoever to the understandment of said character, although this is still a problem since a lot of these stories hold tie-in to the character in some manner.

Also this whole "well I have to read DECADES of lore to figure out what is going on" is nonsense. There's no run that requires that much background info. If I want to jump into One Piece on the other hand, I kinda can't do that unless I start from the beginning.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ProfessorRespect
@miguelcervantes said:
@professorrespect said:

You're partially right when you mention the specific run that hold no historical issue whatsoever to the understandment of said character, although this is still a problem since a lot of these stories hold tie-in to the character in some manner.

There's barely any modern comic runs that require you need extensive work on looking at tons of old material. Baggage is there naturally but it doesn't stop someone reading and enjoying said runs anyway. Outside of those ones, a lot of runs are self-contained and tend to keep to themselves.

Crapser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Crapser

Because it's hard as fuck getting into comics, there are a lot of boring and repetitive issues, which makes it hard to actually debate them, not to mention the countless inconsistencies and contradictions. And it's not that fun when the new characters introduced aren't interesting at all.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25 krisbishop  Moderator

I only read comics of characters I like and even then there are too many iterations and runs to consume them enough to debate them.

Also this:

TeaParty88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga/Anime has taken over CV for quite some time now.

Bossmountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga/Anime characters tend to have fewer P.I.S , retcons, outliers, incarnations, alternate continuities and overall power inconstancy making their capabilities a a lot easier and fun to measure and calculate. if your into verse debating.

and Marvel and DC sales have been in decline for years now so this shouldn't be too surprising. not help by the fact Superhero comics main demographic nowadays seems to be males between the age of 17 - 30.

@miguelcervantes said:
@professorrespect said:

There's barely any modern comic runs that require you need extensive work on looking at tons of old material. Baggage is there naturally but it doesn't stop someone reading and enjoying said runs anyway. Outside of those ones, a lot of runs are self-contained and tend to keep to themselves.

Yeah but to Debate with a character properly you need more than just Surface level knowledge. some of these characters got lore and feats spanning decades.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bossmountain: You don't need to read decades of comics to know about how good they are lol. Maybe if you are like me and want the entire picture, but many of the older material (read: 60's to 90's) is barely relevant. If I want to read something like One Piece through, tough luck in me trying to start from anywhere else but the very start lol

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By heiqn
@professorrespect said:

@bossmountain: You don't need to read decades of comics to know about how good they are lol. Maybe if you are like me and want the entire picture, but many of the older material (read: 60's to 90's) is barely relevant. If I want to read something like One Piece through, tough luck in me trying to start from anywhere else but the very start lol

Eh, disagree on this. Popular Marvel DC characters have literally 50 high / low ends here and there and it's impossible to come to conclusion since it's impossible to find a consistent speed / strength / durability tier for that character for newbie readers.

I don't need to read One Piece to know Luffy is a country level fodder since Anime logic is always "power levels increase".

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heiqn said:
@professorrespect said:

Eh, disagree on this. Popular Marvel DC characters have literally 50 high / low ends here and there and it's impossible to come to a conclusion since it's impossible to find a consistent speed / strength / durability tier for that character for newbie readers.

I don't need to read One Piece to know Luffy is a country level fodder.

Consistency is a battleboarding invention: it's purely subjective to the user. If you only look at them as high ends and low ends, of course you'll come to that outcome. Many runs keep a consistent rate self-contained; it's the secondary sources (Youtube videos, sites like these) that cause the confusion in the first place with nonsensical argumentation.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

nassergrant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

a8612152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcflicky said:

MonvieZ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a new cv user, I only knew some comic characters in live action and animated series, It's just that many comic characters are inconsistent sometimes they are planet lvl then on the next page you'll see them getting beat up by fodder and the comic characters are confusing in where to start, there is so many comics of that same character that's why I didnt bother to read it when in the anime/manga the inconsistency are minimal and the characters has only one series to scale his showings up to current chapter.

Ccbm2208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics are too complicated and intricate, and ofcourse they aren't appealing to everyone so mainstream characters receive more attention.

Avatar image for sixpathsofcapra
SixPathsOfCapra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Inconsistency. No clear understanding of powerscale working in verse. Just like how different writers writing different characters shits on the setting and world building of the story all over, same applies to power levels. There's no consistent powerscale in verse.

- Defined power systems just makes shounen debates much more interesting.

- no one wants to argue against someone who is going to bring up 50 year old feats for an ancient iteration of the character where there's no way to know what the context was.

- people have moved on from marvel/dc comics long ago since there are better alternatives (manga)

Avatar image for sixpathsofcapra
SixPathsOfCapra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talking who would win X vs Y is a side effect of shooting the breeze from a good story you just read. That's not happenin all that often these days. Nobody does battle forums for charters they don't like from stories they don't read, and they sure don't feel like catching up on 500 issues just so their forum post argument is a little bit better than the other guy's.

And this

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ProfessorRespect
@monviez3 said:

As a new cv user, I only knew some comic characters in live action and animated series, It's just that many comic characters are inconsistent sometimes they are planet lvl then on the next page you'll see them getting beat up by fodder and the comic characters are confusing in where to start, there is so many comics of that same character that's why I didnt bother to read it when in the anime/manga the inconsistency are minimal and the characters has only one series to scale his showings up to current chapter.

When has this ever actually happened, exactly? I feel like weeb talking points are just "it's inconsistent" or "it's old" despite both existing in every genre. It's all just subjectivity without any actual point.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only correct answer is that anime has taken over

MonvieZ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monviez3 said:

When has this ever actually happened, exactly? I feel like weeb talking points are just "it's inconsistent" or "it's old" despite both existing in every genre. It's all just subjectivity without any actual point.

I dont bother to debate in DC and Marvel because there is so many anti feats of some comic characters

Green Lantern

https://imgur.com/a/Wz5Iz#NvmEH

Flash slipped by some banana peel on the ground and he was getting stab by deathstroke a street levelers speed.

Superman cant caught deathtroke a street leveler guy.

No Caption Provided

Thor was blitz and cant tag the mongoose guy.

Thanos getting restrained by some handcuffs even he has hulk lvl strength

No Caption Provided

Silver surfer was caught by some random human.

No Caption Provided

I could go on and there was so many anti feats that I didnt even need to read a comics to know that if I debate some of them they'll be downplay by some of their own anti feats.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ProfessorRespect

@monviez3: For one, most of these aren't even canon. I can automatically tell that you probably didn't even bother checking any of these up. Some of these are contextual (the Superman scan is doctored and the Flash scans are Pre Crisis/didn't even happen, the Deathstroke one happened because Wally literally just ran into his blade as he predicted) but most are just nonsensical.

Your point isn't grounded in reality if this is your conception of comics. This is like me showing Vegeta doing the Big Bang Attack alongside him getting run over in the Super manga and saying that's DBZ being inconsistent.

MonvieZ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monviez3: For one, most of these aren't even canon. I can automatically tell that you probably didn't even bother checking any of these up. Some of these are contextual (the Superman scan is doctored and the Flash scans are Pre Crisis/didn't even happen, the Deathstroke one happened because Wally literally just ran into his blade as he predicted) but most are just nonsensical.

Your point isn't grounded in reality if this is your conception of comics. This is like me showing Vegeta doing the Big Bang Attack alongside him getting run over in the Super manga and saying that's DBZ being inconsistent.

Sorry for being dumb in the comics, As I said I'm only fan of animated series and live action so bear with my knowledge about that thing, If I see many anti feats of the said characters then that's a big no for me to debate that character, DC and marvel has so many of that thing.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monviez3 said:
@professorrespect said:

Sorry for being dumb in the comics, As I said I'm only fan of animated series and live action so bear with my knowledge about that thing, If I see many anti feats of the said characters then that's a big no for me to debate that character, DC and marvel has so many of that thing.

These are mostly anti-feats that are spread between stuff that isn't even canon or stuff that happened all the way back in the 60's, lol. You'd only see these if you were looking for them or if you were looking through a entire character's showings. Individual runs have next to none mostly, none extreme as this anyway.

Se7enSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tbf. comic is just whole of messed up world. especially dc and marvel. too many writers. too many feats that overlaps each other. unlike anime/manga which usually has one author, so feats can be tracked and we can be sure there will be continuation in story aswell as characters development in general (new power, new feats, new enemies).

comic has too many version to consider. one version, a character has wall level ap and durability. in other version? voillaa, he is now beyond stars and universal. very hard to vs battle

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Live-action versions are much easier to debate. All you need to do is watch some movies or shows and you know a lot about a character while comics have like hundreds to thousands of issues for you to read and you're still playing catch up because they're constantly releasing material.

Then there's anime/manga which is also a lot easier to get into/debate for.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 takenstew22  Moderator

1. Too much LA threads.

2. Too much weeb threads.

Bossmountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah but most anime and manga usually have linear power progression/scaling. So you usually don't need to look back years to see their best showings and even if you did they would usually scale above any of that anyway. which kinda makes them easier to debate with.

Debating with a One piece characters and getting into the stories of One piece are two different beast. You don't need to look back to see Luffy at his best. current luffy is always going be stronger faster and more durable than his past self cuz linear power progression/scaling.

macattack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

three main reasons I think:

1. There are so many comics, with characters spanning so many decades that most people simply can't read everything. It's hard to debate with characters that have such an enormous amount of material to draw from and create a concise argument.

2. Kind of related to point 1, but because there are so many comics spanning so many years, there are also tonnes of different authors and different interpretations of each character. Characters evolve over time in how they are portrayed, or are inconsistent in power to serve given storylines (it is hard to separate all the PIS from the characters consistent level when it is so inconsistent). As a result most characters have tonnes of low ends and tonnes of high ends and endless feats in between so its hard to be objective or provide a water-tight argument. Basically comic power scaling is super inconsistent.

3. The films simply reach a wider audience. More people watch films and TV shows than read comics, so there are more people willing to debate those. Especially since the above two points are less significant for the cinematic portrayals.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ProfessorRespect

@professorrespect said:

yeah but most anime and manga usually have linear power progression/scaling. So you usually don't need to look back years to see their best showings and even if you did they would usually scale above any of that anyway. which kinda makes them easier to debate with.

Debating with a One piece characters and getting into the stories of One piece are two different beast. You don't need to look back to see Luffy at his best. current luffy is always going be stronger faster and more durable than his past self cuz linear power progression/scaling.

Linear progression isn't consistent either: Goku gets a new level of power nearly every arc yet will also get low showings and underperform at the same time lol. The idea that these characters are just endlessly consistent and only go upwards in stature is kinda untrue in that regard. It's pretty much the same as comics as older material tended to have them less visually impressive.