Pro-wrestling discussion thread

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#11801  Edited By dernman

Too bad Drew wont win it. Drew has shown some good potential as a heel. He should go over Punk as that will elevate him. Besides a baby face Punk sucks.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I am curious what they will do with Austin Theory now. He's a Tag Team Champ with Waller so maybe he can ascend back at least into the Mid Tier Belt Picture. I guess the Big Belts is out for a while now though.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like they've given up on Theory.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it will be more squash matches for Bron Breakker until they build him up more. He's someone who I think will make more noise in 2025 maybe late 2024 this year. The WWE Draft though makes me wonder.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

The dude is so milk toast plain. There is nothing that makes him special nor any flavor to him. Yet fans are eating him up.

Edit: I keep saying shit like this because I just don't get it. It's not about me not liking him. There are wrestlers I hate but I get it. Punk for instance I have a;ways had issues with but I get it. Cody.......there is just nothing there with him. He's the plainest of the plain.

I’ll try to answer this, because I think the answer is simple

Kids love him because the guy comes off as a superhero and a genuine good guy

Adults love him because he rose past his expected ceiling in his first WWE run, from leaving because he was dissatisfied, to grinding on the indies, to helping to make a major impact on the wrestling industry, to coming back to WWE as an undeniable main eventer. He bet on himself, and exceeded in spades. That’s gonna appeal to a lot of people. It’s part of why Drew became popular as well.

On top of that, the guy wrestled with a torn pec, fans aren’t gonna forget a performance like that. You consider him plain, and that’s alright, but I think sometimes fans just want a straightforward good guy to get behind.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11806  Edited By dernman
@mike_fowler said:
@dernman said:

The dude is so milk toast plain. There is nothing that makes him special nor any flavor to him. Yet fans are eating him up.

Edit: I keep saying shit like this because I just don't get it. It's not about me not liking him. There are wrestlers I hate but I get it. Punk for instance I have a;ways had issues with but I get it. Cody.......there is just nothing there with him. He's the plainest of the plain.

I’ll try to answer this, because I think the answer is simple

Kids love him because the guy comes off as a superhero and a genuine good guy

THere is nothing Superhero about him. We've had wrestlers who they portrayed in a SH aura but that's not Cody.They tried that with Roman when he was a face. Cody on the other hand is basic as hell he comes off like a stiff nerd in bad suits living in the safe well off suburbs who has boring teaching job.

Adults love him because he rose past his expected ceiling in his first WWE run, from leaving because he was dissatisfied, to grinding on the indies, to helping to make a major impact on the wrestling industry, to coming back to WWE as an undeniable main eventer. He bet on himself, and exceeded in spades. That’s gonna appeal to a lot of people. It’s part of why Drew became popular as well.

That is just narrative. Every wrestler has their own story. Some get said some don't. Non of that translates to being interesting to watch. Drew did not become popular because of that. Drew honed his craft and became interesting. It wasn't his story that made him interesting it was what he put out. Which is why these past few years when he was putting out crap people didn't lost interest. Now that he's putting out a good heal people are liking him again. None of it has to do with his story.

You consider him plain, and that’s alright, but I think sometimes fans just want a straightforward good guy to get behind.

Being a strait forward good guy doesn't mean you have to be plain and boring. His father for instance was as strait forward a good guy as you could get but dude had charisma. John Cena also a strait forward good guy. Though people had issues with him because how he was booked nobody questioned he had mic skills.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11807  Edited By King_Saturn

I wonder when Solo Sikoa finally wins his next match will Corey Graves mention that this is the first time Solo has won a match in 2024 ?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be cutting if he did.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All that LWO vs Santos Escobar and Crew stuff is just so Meh.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah I'm pretty much not interested either. I wonder how long WWE is going to try and keep this up with them having their own little corner of the Smackdown universe only fighting each other. Seems they're hinting at another LWO betrayal. .

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It almost feels like when Bobby Lashley and The Street Profits come out with that Black Chick. Like seriously who cares ? They all had a Nice Moment at WrestleMania but Street Profits keep coming up short in Tag Team Matches and Bobby Lashley is the same in the Championship picture. Heh, it would be something if the Street Profits beat Waller and Theory for the Tag Titles though. That would show that they planned on burying Waller and Theory again.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11812  Edited By Mike_Fowler

> THere is nothing Superhero about him. We've had wrestlers who they portrayed in a SH aura but that's not Cody.They tried that with Roman when he was a face. Cody on the other hand is basic as hell he comes off like a stiff nerd in bad suits living in the safe well off suburbs who has boring teaching job.

The guy comes out to a theme song that gets people engaged, interacts with kids in his entrance in a similar manner to Bret Hart and Rey Mysterio, and his actual wrestling attire, is akin to that of a superhero, on top of the whole, wrestling with a torn pec aspect. Seriously, look at how kids in particular reacted to him winning the Royal Rumble (both times) and you’ll see how they see him as a hero in their eyes.

> That is just narrative. Every wrestler has their own story. Some get said some don't. Non of that translates to being interesting to watch. Drew did not become popular because of that. Drew honed his craft and became interesting. It wasn't his story that made him interesting it was what he put out.

So, it was his story? I specifically said it was PART of what made Drew popular. His story, right now, is someone that came back, and got screwed constantly at getting his big moment in front of a crowd and lashing out because of it. That made him compelling again to the crowd. People have found Cody’s story compelling because the story of someone wanting to live up to the legacy of a loved one is a relatable one for a lot of people. The story is what gets the fans hooked. The ability of the wrestlers is what can keep them engaged.

> Being a strait forward good guy doesn't mean you have to be plain and boring. His father for instance was as strait forward a good guy as you could get but dude had charisma

Charisma is how well a wrestler is able to connect with the crowd, just cause you don’t like the guy and find him boring doesn’t mean he doesn’t have charisma. The fact that he’s remained as over as he has with the fans and got even more over between this year and last year should make that clear. I remember last year you even claimed that the guy wasn’t “legit over” with fans and to get back to you when he’s there week to week and still over with the fans. A guy that was able to get The Rock booed, clearly has charisma.

> John Cena also a strait forward good guy. Though people had issues with him because how he was booked nobody questioned he had mic skills.

People HAVE questioned his mic skills (not me personally). I’ve seen people claim that he isn’t good without having to rely on breaking kayfabe in his promos.

That said, here’s all that’s left I’m going to say on it. Cody carries himself well, he has a story that’s resonated with the audience, and he’s clearly had the necessary skills in keeping the audience invested in him and becoming one of (if not the) top draws in the company today. You can think he’s plain and boring, but the guy clearly knows how to keep the crowd engaged, whether that be through his promos or through his matches. He’s got something for various demographics to latch on to, and it really is as simple as that.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11813  Edited By arctika

I like how there's stories and drama now days in Wrestling compared to decades ago.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it will be AJ Styles vs Cody Rhodes at Backlash. Not that interesting to me but whatever. Curious to see where they are going with The New Bloodline stuff though. I do wonder if they really are going with Solo Sikoa as the New Tribal Chief or is someone else pulling his strings ?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11815  Edited By King_Saturn

Yikes, they got Austin Theory and Grayson Waller looking like straight Goof Balls still. I can see whoever wins this Fatal 4 Way Tag Team Match tonight being the Ones to beat Theory and Waller for those Belts.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11816  Edited By dernman

@mike_fowler:

The guy comes out to a theme song that gets people engaged, interacts with kids in his entrance in a similar manner to Bret Hart and Rey Mysterio, and his actual wrestling attire, is akin to that of a superhero, on top of the whole, wrestling with a torn pec aspect. Seriously, look at how kids in particular reacted to him winning the Royal Rumble (both times) and you’ll see how they see him as a hero in their eyes.

Rey hasn't been hot in a long time he's been coasting on his past and when he was while he wasn't my cup of tea he had something in that he was different to what was out at the time. Bret actually had things that made him interesting to watch. He wasn't plain like Cody. While Rey could have been considered a SH do to his mask and that difference in size that doesn't apply to Cody. Bret was never considered a superhero type of wrestler. These three wrestlers are not comparable to each other. Cody feet of wrestling injured is hardly special. Wrestlers do it all the time. Frack I have more respect for Liv Morgan who suffered a concussion and was partially knocked out and still tried fighting. You could actually see here struggling to stand on her feet. It didn't make her a supperhero. Got her respect in my eyes but that's not enough to make her interesting or not. SHe has to have actual abilities. Not be plain; Some would argue that she has them.

So, it was his story? I specifically said it was PART of what made Drew popular. His story, right now, is someone that came back, and got screwed constantly at getting his big moment in front of a crowd and lashing out because of it. That made him compelling again to the crowd. People have found Cody’s story compelling because the story of someone wanting to live up to the legacy of a loved one is a relatable one for a lot of people. The story is what gets the fans hooked. The ability of the wrestlers is what can keep them engaged.

You're not understanding the point. Almost everyone has a story similar to them. They are not unique in anyway. What makes it special is the person telling it. If they're not putting out the good enough shit people are not going to give a shit about their story. Look at Zayne people totally stopped caring about him without a storyline (not to be confused with his own story" because he's just not enough of a package to sustain on his own. THe greats don't need storyline or their story to make them interesting. They can just go out their and have something to captivate the audience on their own. Cody doesn't have that which is why it was one of the reasons people didn't like him in AEW. Once he stopped hanging out with the Elite and he was on his own he fell flat and he had to go running to WWE for the welcome back pop. Frack sake look how many people left WWE because in their story they were screwed over by WWE and thought they'd shine in the indies. Remember Sandow? He's one of many. It works for someone like Moxley because he has something.

Charisma is how well a wrestler is able to connect with the crowd, just cause you don’t like the guy and find him boring doesn’t mean he doesn’t have charisma. The fact that he’s remained as over as he has with the fans and got even more over between this year and last year should make that clear. I remember last year you even claimed that the guy wasn’t “legit over” with fans and to get back to you when he’s there week to week and still over with the fans. A guy that was able to get The Rock booed, clearly has charisma.

You say what I bolded right after I gave you an example of someone I don't like and still recognize has something is silly. Hell I'll give you another. That piece of shit Logan Paul. I absolutely loath the guy to the point I can't stand watching him but I can recognize he has something. There are examples of the opposite that are also true. Wrestlers that I liked but that just don't have it. So you can keep your idea that i'm only basing what I'm saying on my personal likes and to yourself. Especially when the whole point of my original post was about seeking to see what I'm missing and find something to to latch onto to say yeah I don't like him but I can see why someone else might.

I made those statements about him not being trully over with the fans and I stick by them. THat not to say I would say the same about his current situation because things have changed.

Rock got booded only by Cody fans and those who like to go with the crowd. He had many fans supporting him in his own right. Look out fast Rock won over everyoness appreciation by flipping the script. That's charisma. You think Cody could pull something like that off? No that's why he failed when he was in AEW even though he tried. Also lets be honest a big part of Cody's pop come from his compelling competition and not all his own. Rock's heel work boosted the frack out of him.

People HAVE questioned his mic skills (not me personally). I’ve seen people claim that he isn’t good without having to rely on breaking kayfabe in his promos.

Bull and if so only a rare minority. There is always going to be the few that strays from the generally accepted. His mic skills are one of the things most people agree he has even when he was at the height of people hating him. At worst they wish he would change it up from being the same strait shooting character all the time but they recognize that he had the ability within him and not that he lacked it.

-------------------------------------

WWE has been booking Cody great which is a big deal in leading to his success. It's one of a few things propping him up but how much it it because of these things and how much is it because of Cody himself? I'm not looking for the things surrounding him. I'm looking for what Cody himself gives. You haven't given me that yet. You've only given me things outside of him.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11817  Edited By dernman
@king_saturn said:

Yikes, they got Austin Theory and Grayson Waller looking like straight Goof Balls still. I can see whoever wins this Fatal 4 Way Tag Team Match tonight being the Ones to beat Theory and Waller for those Belts.

Do you see anyway for him to recover his career and be taken seriously? I'm giving up on Theory at this point.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@king_saturn said:

Do you see anyway for him to recover his career and be taken seriously? I'm giving up on Theory at this point.

Well it's highly doubtful of Theory recovering. Street Profits just won that Fatal 4 Way to become Number 1 Contenders to Waller and Theory and I see the Street Profits beating them and Waller and Theory falling into oblivion afterwards. Shame, I guess Hunter and Creative do not see the potential in Theory for whatever reason.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naomi vs Bayley tonight and then I guess the Show Ends with Cody talking. Eh Ok...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We want Roman chants from the crowed? That's not something we hear often.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like you may hear the We Want Roman Chants a bit more often especially if the New Bloodline Story carries like this with Solo doing Lackluster Work on the Mic. Hopefully they can make the segments a little bit more better when he does Talk since that is going to be a Thing now.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11822  Edited By dernman

It's funny because from what I hear Tonga is good on the mic and a good shit talker but they have him as the silent warrior like Solo was. Also if you're going to have Solo be the talker why is he playing into being controlled by the audience in the promo. You can't do that if you're going to be a strong frontman. You have to command the flow.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Drew is injured. I guess that's time off from an anticipated story.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11824  Edited By King_Saturn

AJ Styles has actually wrestled Dusty Rhodes before some 20 years ago or so. The Styles vs Cody match could have more interesting story than I thought. I think they was both Bullet Club too. It would be sad if this is a one off shot at Backlash.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they will acknowledge the Bulletclub aspect.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RAW has been Ok so far tonight. I was thinking Gunther was going to come out and say he was going for the Bigger World Championships now that he lost his IC Belt. I mean winning King Of The Ring is Ok. He's basically looking to win KOTR and go after whatever Championship now. Hopefully it is one of the Bigger Belts though.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11827  Edited By dernman

Made himself look week in his promo for thanking Zayne for taking off the pressure.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Made himself look week in his promo for thanking Zayne for taking off the pressure.

Yeah, that was weird.

The Drew Mcintyre and Sheamus confrontation in the Ring is Pretty Good. It looks like Sheamus vs Nakamura is a Match happening now. WWE has made Nakamura look weak lately.

Uh, did I hear that right, Cole ? For the First Time, Drew Mcintyre vs Sheamus ? You mean Nakamura vs Sheamus ?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11829  Edited By dernman

There is a rumor that Gable is going to dump the alpha academy and form a stable with the Creed brothers.

Jacob Fatu is said to debut next week.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just thinking about it. Solo and Tonga have to be drafted to the same brand at the Draft otherwise the buildup makes no sense. Curious to if they debut Jacob Fatu with the New Bloodline as well.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Becky Lynch just won the Womens World Heavyweight Champion after winning that Battle Royale. It came down to Becky vs Liv which was Fitting.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11832  Edited By dernman
@king_saturn said:

Curious to if they debut Jacob Fatu with the New Bloodline as well.

If he doesn't that will be dumb and a missed opportunity. Solo needs more than one person for his group.

Becky Lynch just won the Womens World Heavyweight Champion after winning that Battle Royale. It came down to Becky vs Liv which was Fitting.

That could have gone either way. One Liv has a story going with Rhea. On the other hand Becky was actually meant to win at WM but Rhea became popular so they didn't go through with it. Still Becky still hasn't signed a new deal with WWE which is weird. Also Liv while liked just isn't a champion draw

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Should have let Liv win it. She deserves another title run.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solo Sikoa needs to work on his Talking with Segments. He has to be up to speed by the time the Real Tribal Chief returns. Curious to see just how random this Draft will be.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Tony Khan just got knocked in the stomach which knocked him out. lol that was one of the worst showing I've seen. Someone really should have shown him how to do it. I mean it was real bad.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11837  Edited By King_Saturn

Hacksaw Jim Duggan beat Steve Austin in WCW for the United States Championship. Hmmmm... that's interesting.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fatu not appearing tomorrow anymore on SMackdown. It's been pushed back.

Jesse Ventura in talks with WWE now that Vince is gone.

Interesting. That punch from Nia Jax that made Becky even more famous concussed her and she has no memory of what happened after. She said she was moving on autopilot

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, Jesse Ventura back in the WWE would be hilarious. Especially if they let him do Commentary again.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean obviously tonight is supposed to be about the WWE Draft on Smackdown but we could not get a better match that Rey Mysterio and that other Guy who wears a Mask vs The Mexican Folks that be with Escobar Santos ? Heh, oh well. I would rather see Bobby Lashley vs Karrion Kross again or something.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pretty much just skip all those groups you've mentioned.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are starting off Smackdown with the AJ Styles and Cody Rhodes contract signing. Hmmm... well that's interesting.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11843  Edited By dernman

AJ's new theme music just doesn't flash. It's not memorable nor create an atmosphere. It's just there like background music you don't notice.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that was such an Average Segment between Cody Rhodes and AJ Styles. Oh Well, I guess the Match at Backlash will be Pretty Cool. Now they are doing the WWE Draft Picks with Cody Rhodes and Triple H.

Early Picks

Smackdown selects Bianca Belair

RAW selects Jey Uso

Smackdown selects Carmelo Hayes

RAW selects Seth Rollins

Ok so basically these Picks are literally just Wrestlers staying put. Carmelo Hayes to Smackdown is Fun I guess.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha Ha... Ok the LWO Drama was Pretty Funny tonight. Santos Escobar revealed on Security Cam Footage who attacked Dragon Lee and it was Carlito. I figured that too. It's just how Carlito looked when they showed the Camera Footage. Heh Heh, then Carlito went for the attack again on Rey and Dragon. That was Funny.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bron Breakker to RAW is Interesting.

Nia Jax to Smackdown is Interesting just because it's someone for Bianca to show her Strength against.

Liv Morgan staying on RAW

Randy Orton staying on Smackdown.

Since Champions cannot be drafted this ensures Cody vs Orton to happen at some Point.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bron got excepted to Raw after joining Smackdown but never really wrestling there.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, Kevin Owens going at it with Tama Tonga. Yep, looks like Solo and Tonga going for the Beatdown now. Bron I think wrestled a total of 2 minutes in the 4 matches he had on Smackdown.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11849  Edited By dernman

I hope they don't book Bron too strong as that can have the opposite affect. LA Knight staying on Smackdown. That's not going to be good for him.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This draft has been Horrible so far. So many Wrestlers are just Staying Put. Solo Sikoa, Tama Tonga staying on Smackdown. LA Knight staying on Smackdown. Ricochet is on RAW. Sheamus is on RAW. Not much changing.

Tiffany Stratton vs Naomi to see who wrestled Bayley at Backlash for the Smackdown Womens Title.