School sucks/School does not equal education.

Avatar image for gumball35248117
gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gumball35248117
  1. "School sucks because if you don't like it, most people automatically think there's something serious wrong with you.
  2. School ruins learning. In school, learning is all about memorizing things, answering questions, and writing loads of crap on topics you don't care about.
  3. Because you're forced to go there, and if you want to try some other alternative, you need to get parental permission first. School is essentially pointless forced labour without pay.
  4. It sucks because people expect you to treat school as the most important thing in your life. Nevermind what you'd rather be doing.
  5. School sucks because once you're done, you'll probably forget 90% of what you "learned" there and burn all your books anyway. All you'll be left with is a diploma stating that you survived 12 years of hell. And very few people (besides your parents) will even want to look at it.
  6. Because talking to your friends is a crime at school.
  7. It sucks because even if you're bored out of your mind, you'll still get all the blame for not participating in class.
  8. School suppresses independent thought - if you disagree with the teacher, you're in trouble. If you dare to think of a new way to do something, it's automatically wrong.
  9. School sucks because if you do what they say and do all your work, you don't get time off - they'll just expect even more from you in future. And someone who cheats on their work and tests can just as easily do better than you.
  10. School sucks because life is short, and you'll never get that time back.
  11. School makes everyone around you panic over the smallest little things that none of them (or anyone else) will care about a few years down the line.
  12. Even when you go home, school invades your life by giving you homework as well.
  13. It sucks because even though school has all these problems, if you mention any of them, you'll be the one they blame, no matter how right you may actually be.
  14. School sucks because every now and then it does something useful for someone, and then everyone goes all "Look! That's proof that school is good for you!"... It's like getting free ice cream in hell - it just doesn't quite make up for all the other stuff."

- The Smartest Person You've Never Heard Of

"Another thing is that when some of us criticize school, pro-schoolers will jump at the chance and use a straw man argument making claims that we hate education and that don't appreciate it. Again, we don't hate education. We are only against being forced to attend school against our will, "learning" things we really have no interest in and that won't help our futures, and we're against the punishments brought by the judicial system if we decide to stop attending and our parents/guardians refuse to discuss options we see much better from our POV; such as homeschooling. We may be able to be petitioned to go to court and face a judge and we don't go for a long period of time, and the worst-case scenario is that we could be sent to a juvenile detention center. Yes, a place where many actual juvenile delinquents go – minors who've committed assaults, robberies, even murder, and other related actual crimes – just for not going to school, and not only are we placed in the same category as them, we will have this on our record for the rest of our lives

How can we appreciate that at all if we decide not to go? Isn't America also supposed to be the so-called land of the FREE? If it's actually the land of the free, then why are we forced to go to school against our will?"

-GamerGurl on School Survival.

NO TROLLING,DON'T call this a kid's "job,they don't get paid you buttface.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with some of these points.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

k

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just fart in class that does it

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hombre_Arana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hombre_Arana

I 100% agree with everything you said. I learned much more out side of school then I ever did in it. Everything they tried to teach me I had to teach myself in my own way cus there methods are crap.

It's a shame that some party pooper mod will likely lock this soon.

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

QFT.

Usha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Education goes aight.

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@helloman said:

I agree with some of these points.

Which points do you disagree with?Why?

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gumball35248117: As someone else in high school..... I wholeheartedly agree. The academic side of school sucks, being entirely memorization and teaching you only what you need to pass a test that gets the school more money.

However I can say playing sports at school and making friends makes it worth it for me.

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gumball35248117:

However I can say playing sports at school and making friends makes it worth it for me.

Both things that are (at least) 50x easier outside of school.

The-Seeffiss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the-seeffiss17 said:

@gumball35248117:

Both things that are (at least) 50x easier outside of school.

I would disagree, in my area, football (american) stops having recreational leagues once you hit high school because they assume your school has a team. And making friends, I suppose varies from person to person. I've made a ton of awesome and close friends from going to school. But I can see why you would prefer to make friends outside of school as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

Eh..I'll bite.

1. No one ever chastised me for not liking school, teachers and peers alike. In fact, that was a fairly popular sentiment.

2. Depends on the curriculum and how good of a teacher you had.

3. Forced labor? High school was one of the easiest years of my life. If you didn't go to school, what alternative would there be if you were too young to work?

4. Again, what more important thing would a child do if they weren't at school?

5. Depends entirely on if you decide to pursue any higher education afterwards. Of course not everything you learn in High School is going to be used in life.

6. Huh?

7. Depends on the teacher, but if you're being openly disrespectful then you deserve to get called out.

8. Depends on the faculty.

9. Time off? From doing worksheets and taking tests? 4 week+ long breaks throughout the year plus weekends is more than enough.

10. Because God forbid you actually have a pleasant experience in school and pave a way for a better future using the resources handed to you.

11. As opposed to real life where there's nothing to worry about? If you fret over schoolwork then that's no fault of anyone's but your own.

12. I spent the majority of my High School years with little to no homework because I learned how to maximize my time at school. This also depends on your teachers, and at worst it's just another chore.

13. Well if you present it like this then you deserve to get laughed at quite frankly.

14. If you learn absolutely nothing in school then that's your own fault. The U.S school system has a lot of flaws but it's not designed to oppress kids. Yes not every child needs to complete high school to be successful but at the very worst grade school won't teach you everything you need to maximize your potential. What it will do is give you the means to make studying and time management skills into habits, but only if you choose.

The way you worded all this comes off as very entitled and dramatic. One would think you were comparing High School to prison, which is a funny but extremely inaccurate comparison disgruntled kids love to make.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By jumpstart55
  • An institution where you learn things during your critical developmental ages should always be around.
  • But the Archaic, brutally enforced uniformity, mind numbingly dull rigid structure of Schools left over from the post enlightenment eras need to teach everything in rigid order, has got to go....Because it stomps out uniqueness and forces the idea that everyone learns and reattains information the same exact way....Which as study after study has proven is completely false.
MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point it would make more sense for ages 5-12 to be general education where we learn basic math, history, science, language, etc. Then once we hit 13 we start being given more specialized classes that prepare us for adulthood, either through teaching actual SKILLS that would be applicable in the job market or preparing you for the college level courses you intend to take.

In the current system once you're out of Highschool and officially an adult you don't have any marketable skills. 18 years of life with most of it dedicated to constant study and you end up qualified for working at McDonalds or Mal*Mart as an unskilled laborer. And even those jobs need to train you a bit before you can do them.

That is absurd. What's the point of an education if not to teach you information you need to survive?

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jumpstart55

@metaljimmor said:

At this point it would make more sense for ages 5-12 to be general education where we learn basic math, history, science, language, etc. Then once we hit 13 we start being given more specialized classes that prepare us for adulthood, either through teaching actual SKILLS that would be applicable in the job market or preparing you for the college level courses you intend to take.

In the current system once you're out of Highschool and officially an adult you don't have any marketable skills. 18 years of life with most of it dedicated to constant study and you end up qualified for working at McDonalds or Mal*Mart as an unskilled laborer. And even those jobs need to train you a bit before you can do them.

That is absurd. What's the point of an education if not to teach you information you need to survive?

• Agree 100%.
  • High School curriculum felt like more of the same shit from elementary and Junior high school just with more books and condescension.
  • So many kids are thrusted into college by societal guilt without knowing what they truly wanna do in life, becuase they spent 4 years learning repetitive junk...The age of 13 is the prefect age to start working towards your career or dedicating yourself to finding out what you wanna do.(I,m glad i started young but most of my friends are not so lucky..
  • Thats also most likley part of the reason why we got such a big college debt crisis in this country minus all the other issues with the whole college system, like it being in alot of cases more of a godamn business/fancy country club then a quote on quote actual educational institution for higher learning.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_stegman  Moderator

I loved high school mostly for the social aspect. It's where I met friends and where we got to talk most of the time. It was a fun time that I wish I could still have (it's nearly impossible to make new friends as an adult).

I will admit though, I have used absolutely zero percent of my high school education in the real world. None of it is practical.

PS, I hated college much more than high school. Equally useless info, only this time, you get debt to go with it! If you think people judge you for not liking high school, don't get me started on how people put college on a pedestal.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I never liked waking up so early for school. Like, you were supposed to be active and attentive in class at 8am in the morning at 9 years of age.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55:

Highschool was extremely repetitive. What's worse is that for someone like me who was at a college reading level by the time I got out of gradeschool but struggled with basic algebra the English classes used up valuable time and after-school energy that could have been dedicated to working on my shortcomings rather than doing homework that isn't benefiting me anymore. A more flexible system where students can advance at their own pace in certain fields would be a huge improvement.

Or even better, drop the algebra classes that I have literally never touched since Highschool and let me focus on what I am clearly good at and find a way to refine that into a potential career.

Our modern age requires specialization, not general knowledge.

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so true it is not even funny !!!!!!!

josai34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do I agree that there are issues with our education system? Yes.

Do I agree that people learn differently than others? Yes.

Is education useless? Heck no. Get off your entitled high horse. Some things are naturally going to be harder for some people than others. Get over it. I'm five feet four inches yet you don't see me over here complaining that we need to change the game of basketball in order that I can do better at it.

It's not the education system's fault that some kids are stupid or lazy. Do I think that there should be other options for those who aren't as intelligent or hardworking? Sure. After Middle School I'm definitely for more trade based education.

But based on what I see; most of these complaints come from those who are unwilling to do the hard work or too stupid to do it. (And even then, I would argue it takes mental illness to fail at our education system. The stuff taught is ridiculously easy if you put in the work.)

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gumball35248117
@juiceboks said:

Eh..I'll bite.

3. Forced labor? High school was one of the easiest years of my life. If you didn't go to school, what alternative would there be if you were too young to work?

Whatever it is,it is forced by your dumbass parents,in regards to your actual question https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unschooling,and there's a link right there,it says alternatives.You also seem to be under the impression that this is only about high school,it's not,it's about school.period.

josai34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is obviously a troll post. OP cusses at those who disagree with them.

Most likely a disgruntled high schooler trying to feel good about their failure in school. Most likely due to an inability to respect authority figures. Possibly lacks a strong father figure in his life.

I'll be "getting the h*** out."

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gumball35248117

@josai34 said:

This is obviously a troll post. OP cusses at those who disagree with them.

No,they claim I'm against education,even though I clearly stated I'm not,they didn't read,they're not worth my time.There are other people here that disagree with me,but they aren't misrepresenting me.

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@usha said:

Education goes aight.

What? You mean alright?

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@josai34 said:

But based on what I see; most of these complaints come from those who are unwilling to do the hard work or too stupid to do it.

They actually do it,they're not stupid or lazy,they just point out what's painfully obvious to them.

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved high school mostly for the social aspect. It's where I met friends and where we got to talk most of the time. It was a fun time that I wish I could still have (it's nearly impossible to make new friends as an adult).

Good for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gumball35248117
@misterwhisper said:

If highschool of all things seems forced to you, repetitve, dull, and the people in charge annoy you, wait until you have this thing called a job and a boss.

Wait until,I have something objectively less forced,repetitive and dull?Sure....

2. Highschool is the easiest time of your life.

No,it's not,don't even try that bullshit.

If you want to have a better time at school, show up after Christmas break and walk straight up to their desk and apologize for being a useless waste of their time.

You're an anus.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_stegman  Moderator

@gumball35248117: so, are you gonna be argumentative to everyone who disagrees with you?

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3. Your teachers hate you more than you hate them. Their entire job is glorified babysitting a class of 30 entitled, post mellenials.

You deserve to get laughed at for that.

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked waking up so early for school. Like, you were supposed to be active and attentive in class at 8am in the morning at 9 years of age.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I 100% agree with everything you said. I learned much more out side of school then I ever did in it. Everything they tried to teach me I had to teach myself in my own way cus there methods are crap.

kinda this. Ive learned more on certain things in life that have helped me by doing research on the computer myself than i have in school or college.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jumpstart55

@metaljimmor said:

@jumpstart55:

Highschool was extremely repetitive. What's worse is that for someone like me who was at a college reading level by the time I got out of gradeschool but struggled with basic algebra the English classes used up valuable time and after-school energy that could have been dedicated to working on my shortcomings rather than doing homework that isn't benefiting me anymore. A more flexible system where students can advance at their own pace in certain fields would be a huge improvement.

Or even better, drop the algebra classes that I have literally never touched since Highschool and let me focus on what I am clearly good at and find a way to refine that into a potential career.

Our modern age requires specialization, not general knowledge.

Yep and especially if the current projections for automation are indeed accurate.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@gumball35248117: I was referring to alternatives to schooling in general, not just a traditional public school. A lot of parents don't have time to stay at home all day and teach their children. To expect otherwise is unreasonable. Not every child has the drive to complete Online Schooling, that level of diligence is usually taught from a young age.

Also flagged for unnecessary insults I expected from someone who can bitch this much about something he has no control over.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

All those points seem to come from and old and conventional educational system

I grew up in schools who where much more liberal and with radically different system of teaching, i was lucky i guess...

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

1. Not really.

2. I agree with that.

3. If you weren't forced to go there you wouldn't go and the results would be bad.

4. Only some people do so.

5. Maybe, but school is primarily learning to behave than to speak, write and count.

6. Obviously during class. That's why we have breaks.

7. Or you won't because most teachers don't care if you are quiet.

8. Not true. You can disagree with the teacher freely. Its just that you need to be polite doing so. Who says anything new is bad?

9. The fact that you care to do all your work proves that school offered you many things already. Mainly responsibility. And just go tell your teacher about cheating if they don't see it. Its simple.

10. This is your personal opinion. Plenty of religions say otherwise. And don't tell me you don't like meeting your friends at school.

11. This means you care, which means school offered you something extremely important already.

12. Not true. Many if not most people agree with you.

13. Already been though that.

gumball35248117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gumball35248117

@anthp2000 said:

3. If you weren't forced to go there you wouldn't go and the results would be bad

Do you really believe that? Or think it makes any difference? If so,LMAO.

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoken like someone who sucks at school.

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If highschool of all things seems forced to you, repetitve, dull, and the people in charge annoy you, wait until you have this thing called a job and a boss.

Also remember 3 things about life and school.

1. Nobody owes you happyness.

2. Highschool is the easiest time of your life.

Unless you're willing to settle for a second-rate university, this is not the case.

josai34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wf_mxyzptlk: Respectfully, getting into a top tier university for your bachelor's matters far less than it used to. If its a choice between excelling in High School and going to a great undergrad or a excelling in undergrad and going to a great post grad, I'll choose the second option every time.

Most solid Universities care far more about your SAT and ACT scores thank your GPA. Most will accept anything above a 3.0.

Heck, I got my GED at sixteen and am currently attending an AACSB certified Business college. Maintain above a 3.0, do well on SAT, and you're golden.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HS is not education college is anyone can and should earn a HS degree literally all you have to do is show up