• 56 results
Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Surkit

This thread has many tools that are useful to the average rpger of any kind.

Writing/Character Tools

Lesson on writing body language- As the title says this is an article to help you write body language better. I only just dug into it myself but I'm finding it useful and see stuff I'll be implementing moving forward.

BlaBlameter- This is a website where you enter the post you've written and, coldly, tells you how much of your writing is bullshit. This lets you know in a visible gauge how much of your post you should think about trimming the fat off of.

Lazarus Extension- Izaiah put me and a few others onto this extension. It comes on Firefox and saves your writing as you type it, just in case a post gets eaten, without having to save or leave the site so as long as it's active.

Blindwrite- This app is good for writing without judging as you go. You just write and worry about what errors you made later. It's all about words coming from your mind and onto the page. It sticks to the Stephen King 'On Writing' quote, "Write with the door closed, edit with the door opened."

Grammarly - Now working again. It's an extension that highlights more than just spelling errors when you write. It tells you if your post has any grammatical errors too. It might be because of the OS I'm on that it makes CV bug out so it's worth trying if you're on windows. Even if it doesn't work for CV it's the best tool to have if you're in college or High School. Definitely made the difference on some grades for me.

writewords- This site checks your text and lets you know if you've reused a specific word or words too often and need to come up with a synonym.

Music and Ambiance Tools

2. Coffitivity- I like to write with background noise of crowds, but I'm lazy and I'm not going to the mall just to drink expensive coffee and hear people talk. So the best solution is Coffitivity. It's an ambient noise website that lets you choose a setting to simulate writing in. It helps me focus and should help some of you too.

Noisli- This site is like coffitivity, only more intuitive and free. You can use it to mix sounds to create your ideal environment for writing.

Gif-making Tools

Giffingtool - I don't have this tool and never tried it because I'm on a Mac now, but it looks like a better option for easily making custom gifs for your posts than the last one I recommended, Gifcam.

I find that some of the best gifs I can get so far is from makeagif. Requires no download and pretty decent ones can be done for free. Others like Giphy are not bad. Then you got gif youtube/gif.com is alright. Tumblr seems pretty god-like but I refuse to get a tumblr. So dunno how tumblr works, exactly.

-Maverick

If you're on a mac try Giphy Capture. I use it all the time and they have an on site caption creator for custom dialogue

No Caption Provided

Also even if it's not on giphy, if you've got a gif saved on your computer you can upload it to the caption generator they have and easily add one HERE.

5. Lazarus doesn't work on chrome, but I did find something to sorta supplement it. I've been losing a lot of posts lately to random computer resets and such. So I got a clipboard chrome app.

This enables you to copy anything you write, and for it to remember it. Unlike with say, microsoft word, this is gonna stay if your your computer resets on you. But you have to remember to save. -Maverick

Email/Alt Creation Tools

Throwawaymail- This site is probably the best tool an RPGer will ever have. You can generate an email address with it, use said email to create a new account, then verify, and once you close the tab the email address is erased. Simplest tool but the most effective one for people who like making alts but get deterred by the long processes for making email accounts nowadays.

Provided by Izaiah-

• Gmail. While not strictly about writing, Gmail has a functionality that lets you reuse the same Gmail account for multiple CV alts:

Let's say your gmail address is yourgmailaddress(at)gmail.com. You can then register on CV asyourgmailaddress+example(at)gmail.com. Anything you put between the + and (at)gmail.com, will be ignored by Gmail (so it'll be sent to your existing address), but CV will regard it as different enough. As long as you put a different sequence after the + for each alt, you can reuse the same email account however often you like.
The + sign is important, don't skip it.

That's all i've got for right now but I'll add more as I come across'em. If anybody has any suggestions let me know in the comments and I'll add'em.

If YOU have any suggestions for this thread drop it in the comments with a brief description and I'll add it to this OP.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2 Mercy_  Online
No Caption Provided

(This is seriously helpful)

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator

@surkit: Just FYI, Lazarus doesn't work on comicvine for chrome >___>

But this is a great thread. A lot of useful tools for not just new RPers but all of us here in general.

Classique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hardly know you Surkit, but you're one of my new favorite people for this XD

Grammarly drops the ball on context sometimes, but all of these links are appreciated.

Great_Samson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ლ(╹◡╹ლ) Hey, I'm a pretty useful tool...

(╥﹏╥) In my dreams

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Covertly slides her a compensation cookie

@surkit: Just FYI, Lazarus doesn't work on chrome >___>

But this is a great thread. A lot of useful tools for not just new RPers but all of us here in general.

It didn't work for me either but it's worth having out there for the firefox users and in case it gets fixed on Chrome at some point.

That's the plan. More than anything I wanna see people making their own gifs.

I hardly know you Surkit, but you're one of my new favorite people for this XD

Grammarly drops the ball on context sometimes, but all of these links are appreciated.

If you know an alternative I'll put it up. Grammarly is the only thing I know like it right now though.

LIGHTWAvELEGUA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is dope man.

~Thorn~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found the old thread. Also...

• Gmail. While not strictly about writing, Gmail has a functionality that lets you reuse the same Gmail account for multiple CV alts:

Let's say your gmail address is yourgmailaddress(at)gmail.com. You can then register on CV asyourgmailaddress+example(at)gmail.com. Anything you put between the + and (at)gmail.com, will be ignored by Gmail (so it'll be sent to your existing address), but CV will regard it as different enough. As long as you put a different sequence after the + for each alt, you can reuse the same email account however often you like.

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_thorn_: Thanks. New one is actually better lol

I'll add that in.

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Alistar_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be checking this out after I get off work.

Avatar image for ali_sani_bashir
Ali_Sani_Bashir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ohhh, look at this now. Badass!

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Use it unwisely

_Alistar_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should probably be linked in the Official InformationThread.

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should probably be linked in the Official InformationThread.

@feral_nova MAKE MY LEGACY LIVE ON

~Thorn~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ~Thorn~

@surkit said:

3b. Also even if it's not on giphy, if you've got a gif saved on your computer you can upload it to the caption generator they have and easily add one HERE

This...doesn't look like it's linking to the right place?

Oh and a Firefox Lazarus extension link might be helpful. (Current link goes to the not-quite-working Chrome version.)

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Yo these are great. Thanks!

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_thorn_ said:

@surkit said:

3b. Also even if it's not on giphy, if you've got a gif saved on your computer you can upload it to the caption generator they have and easily add one HERE

This...doesn't look like it's linking to the right place?

Oh and a Firefox Lazarus extension link might be helpful. (Current link goes to the not-quite-working Chrome version.)

Smh it's not my keyboard is giving me problems.

Thanks I'll add it in.

Yo these are great. Thanks!

Choo got it mane.

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_thorn_: There we go. Removed the chrome link and put in the Firefox one.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 Feral Nova  Moderator
Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Surkit
Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Added an article on body language

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This I real nice, man!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4aaf82118d6
deactivated-5a4aaf82118d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LIGHTWAvELEGUA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LIGHTWAvELEGUA

Can we submit helpful content here?

_Alistar_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4aaf82118d6
deactivated-5a4aaf82118d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Added another one

Ryukage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thank you for making this. i will use these.

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saving Posts

Lazarus doesn't work on chrome, but I did find something to sorta supplement it. I've been losing a lot of posts lately to random computer resets and such. So I got a clipboard chrome app.

This enables you to copy anything you write, and for it to remember it. Unlike with say, microsoft word, this is gonna stay if your your computer resets on you. But you have to remember to save.

Making gifs

I find that some of the best gifs I can get so far is from makeagif. Requires no download and pretty decent ones can be done for free. Others like Giphy are not bad. Then you got gif youtube/gif.com is alright. Tumblr seems pretty god-like but I refuse to get a tumblr. So dunno how tumblr works, exactly.

_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be pinned imho

Meison_Calidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saving Posts

Lazarus doesn't work on chrome, but I did find something to sorta supplement it. I've been losing a lot of posts lately to random computer resets and such. So I got a clipboard chrome app.

This enables you to copy anything you write, and for it to remember it. Unlike with say, microsoft word, this is gonna stay if your your computer resets on you. But you have to remember to save.

Making gifs

Dope I'll add them in

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update

Avatar image for the_institution
The_Institution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Institution

Does anybody know the quickest way to get past the post cap for an Alt?

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody know the quickest way to get past the post cap for an Alt?

Post stuff. Don't post too many blogs- I did that, and it didn't work out so well for me. Also don't do too many pictures. Just post a lot of text based stuff, in Writing Confessions, for example.

The_Institution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joey_destroyer_of_worlds: Can I upload many images in my gallery or would that mess up my alt?

(I don't plan on posting images on my posts but I am planning on uploading them to the Gallery)

Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_institution: You can, but not too many. Like, just a recommendation, I would only put in 2-3 images at the moment, at least until you earn the banbot's trust. For example, when I put in AV looks, it works fine, but once, I tried doing an umbrella account, and uploaded a few images in rapid succession. Didn't work out.

The_Institution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joey_destroyer_of_worlds: Yikes, thanks for the advice :D

btw one more question, what's the cap for daily posts?

I recall some people managing to get 10 in one day.

Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_institution: It's supposed to be five or something like that, but, honestly, I don't remember that rule ever being enforced. There isn't really a cap. At least, as far as I know.

The_Institution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got some new ones for you guys, one is gonna make things a lot simpler for alt fiends.

Noisli- This site is like coffitivity, only more intuitive and free. You can use it to mix sounds to create your ideal environment for writing.

writewords- This site checks your text and lets you know if you've reused a specific word or words too often and need to come up with a synonym.

Last but not least...

Throwawaymail- This site is probably the best tool an RPGer will ever have. You can generate an email address with it, use said email to create a new account, then verify, and once you close the tab the email address is erased. Simplest tool but the most effective one for people who like making alts but get deterred by the long processes for making email accounts nowadays.

Black_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_thorn_ said:

Found the old thread. Also...

This isn't strictly gmail either, I use it for my live account too

Vandraren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@surkit said:

Someone who uses this will be kicking themselves if they ever need to reset their password or otherwise recover their account. Gmail seems a little safer for this I think...

Meison_Calidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Maverick_6

Tip.

A good way to preserve RP posts without losing formatting is just making a PM and sending posts to yourself. So you keep links, images and all that CV exclusive stuff posting in an email is gonna lose.

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just tried BlaBlaMetre for first time.

Next Blog#possible masterpiece
Next Blog#possible masterpiece

_Vex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are mods able to view the email addresses of users? If so, can someone assist me? I'm trying to recover my @lady_grimm account, but I can't remember what email I used. Thanks!

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

@surkit: Dude, I'm using some of this for my fan-fic! Seriously nice stuff! :)

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers