Follow

Rogue

Character » Rogue appears in 6667 issues.

The adopted daughter of Mystique, Rogue was once a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Now reformed, Rogue has become a veteran member of the X-Men.

Can Rogue absorb Phoenix's powers?

Avatar image for lightenupwillya
    LightenUpWillYa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LightenUpWillYa

Can she absorb the powers of Phoenix if she touches the host?

I know she gets overwhelmed when she touches powers that are much stronger than her. But before she gets to that point how much can she absorb if she can at all?

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i would think she could but idk.

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While she was on Deaths door she was able to absorb the the Psonic energy of 8 billion minds. The phoenix force is the nexus of Psonic energy. More than what the Phoenix five possessed but less than full powered Jean is my guess.

Xelossik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue couldn't absorb Phoenix powers in X-men Legacy AvX Tie In because Phoenix energy is sentient.

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xelossik: Magik stopped Rogue from absorbing her. Powerful beings can stop Rogue from absorbing them.

However if we are simply talking about the pure Phoenix Force and it isn't fighting back then yes she would be able to absorb a portion of it. The Phoenix Force as I described is the full Psonic Energy of the Omniverse and Rogue has absorbed pure Psonic Energy before.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know she tried to absorb Mojo waaayyy back when and it was too much for her.

Xelossik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest: @heroup2112:

Rogue usually has problems with absorbing insane characters. Gravitron for example.

@xelossik: Magik stopped Rogue from absorbing her. Powerful beings can stop Rogue from absorbing them.

However if we are simply talking about the pure Phoenix Force and it isn't fighting back then yes she would be able to absorb a portion of it. The Phoenix Force as I described is the full Psonic Energy of the Omniverse and Rogue has absorbed pure Psonic Energy before.

Miss Marvel - You-You can absorb the powers of Phoenix?

Rogue- no. it's sentient, it won't let me.

Rogue - Ah can absorb Magik's regulars powers

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cosmiccelest

@xelossik said:

Rogue usually has problems with absorbing insane characters. Gravitron for example.

@cosmiccelest said:

Pretty much what I said. It wont LET her not that she can't. She has absorbed Jean Grey before. Now don't know if she had the Phoenix or not. However it looks like the Phoenix Force.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Rogue also has little issue with absorbing insane Characters. She was perfectly fine with the Thousands of psyches in Legions head and I would argue he is more insane than Graviton. So that was a writer inconsistency.

No Caption Provided

Xelossik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest:

If I remember correctly:

- Rogue and Legion was in X-men Legacy when Rogue could control her powers. She could avoid absorbing insanity. She had problems with Moon Knight right?

- Rogue and Phoenix? It looks like Phoenix Force. She absorbed dozens characters before absorbing Phoenix. What if Phoenix allowed to be absorbed because of other psyche?

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xelossik:

Rogue should have the same control now that she had then. She has no issue touching others apparently.

No Caption Provided

If I am not mistaken Uncanny avengers take place after Legacy right? So I doubt Rogue forgot her control from Legacy. Although Uncanny Avengers has been a little inconsistent with Rogue anyway. She went Psycho from absorbing a few hundred powers and Psyche during Uncanny Avengers vol 1 issue 22 but in Legacy she was fine with being connected to Thousands of powers and Psyche some who were reality warpers. Now it isn't out of the normal for marvel to be inconsistent it happens with all comics.

Also to give you a little bit more context of the Jean Phoenix thing. Rogue?Brood Queen had her under some type of control and Jean gave it willing. Which is the point I was trying to make. Extremely powerful people can resist it but it doesn't mean Rogue can't absorb them but rather they wont allow Rogue to absorb them.

Xelossik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest:
    That was artist mistake.

> She went Psycho from absorbing a few hundred powers and Psyche during Uncanny Avengers vol 1 issue 22 but in Legacy she was fine with being connected to Thousands of powers and Psyche some who were reality warpers.

2 different things... absorbing powers and being connected to them

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xelossik said:

@cosmiccelest:

That was artist mistake.

> She went Psycho from absorbing a few hundred powers and Psyche during Uncanny Avengers vol 1 issue 22 but in Legacy she was fine with being connected to Thousands of powers and Psyche some who were reality warpers.

2 different things... absorbing powers and being connected to them

Legion had 1000 personalities with 1000 different powers which 200 were Omega. It isn't two different things. While being connected to them she absorbed them that is how her power works.

Xelossik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest:

I missed this issue. when she absorbed all powers of legion?

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xelossik:

It was issue 253 of X men Legacy. To get a better understanding of the situation you would need to read Issues #249 to issue #253. Basically the plot line is Six personalities have escaped from Legions Mind and one of them named Styx is trying to have the other personalities rebel against Legion. Probably didn't explain it as well but if you can it is a really good Arc.

Anywho.........

Rogue can absorb Legions personalities she did it to Time Stink who was one of the six personalities missing.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Rogue and Styx another one of Legions personalities then began to fight with Rogue. Legion to help Rogue began to absorb Styx back into himself but by doing so he also absorbed Rogue within himself. While in Legion Rogue was touching and drawing on all of Legions personalities and powers. That was explicitly said from the characters mouth.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Also while Sick from the Virus Strain 88 rogue was able to handle 8 Billion Psyches that she absorbed among others before and after then. Her insanity never went to the level of Uncanny avengers either time also.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

She had even worst control over her powers this time and still reacted better than in Uncanny Avengers and she had a whole planet worth of minds in her head.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The Maximum number of minds we have seen Rogue absorb is 8 Billion. Having a couple of Hundred personalities shouldn't have drove her insane not after what she has done in Legacy and X men series.

Xelossik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest:

Rogue in Legacy had help of Xavier and Legion.

Rogue in Legacy had troubles with Moon Knight and She Hulk.

Maybe there is more factors than number of personalities?

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xelossik said:

@cosmiccelest:

You need to read the issue because all Legion did was absorbed Rogue into himself(Accidentally) and Xavier did nothing for Rogue. By time Xavier got to Rogue she was already absorbing and touching on all of Legions personalities. Also you still have the 8 Billion psyches she absorbed in the early 2000's X men series. The Scene in Uncanny avengers was simply inconstant writing.

The She-Hulk and Moon night personalities she got under control a couple of seconds to minutes after absorbing them. It is like the Scene from the Early X men comic when she absorbed the Hetacomb. At first she was losing her mind hearing different thoughts but then she got them under control a couple of seconds later.

rogue1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest:

@xelossik said:

@cosmiccelest:

You need to read the issue because all Legion did was absorbed Rogue into himself(Accidentally) and Xavier did nothing for Rogue. By time Xavier got to Rogue she was already absorbing and touching on all of Legions personalities. Also you still have the 8 Billion psyches she absorbed in the early 2000's X men series. The Scene in Uncanny avengers was simply inconstant writing.

The She-Hulk and Moon night personalities she got under control a couple of seconds to minutes after absorbing them. It is like the Scene from the Early X men comic when she absorbed the Hetacomb. At first she was losing her mind hearing different thoughts but then she got them under control a couple of seconds later.

I completely agree with you, Rogue with control was increasing her powers, and she proved to separate things, she decided if she took or powers, or psyches, or just scanned thoughts (this she did when she was looking for information on the legion personality that was they escaped, and Emma and Xavier could not do this) or if they took vital force, or if they took all these characteristics at the same time, which is when they usually have problems.

Rogue also proved able to permanently remove the powers to the other, and return it when she decided to return the skill.

She duplicate powers, and many times I use them better than the original owners.

And he did many new things, like absorbing astral beings, and much more.

What happened vs the celestial, it was bad writing, Remender did not know much about the character, but in honor of the truth it gave him a bigger power show than any other Xmen did before, of Rogue she has more feats of power than the most omega mutants confirmed, and she has unlimited potential.

That she had problems with the voices was bad writing, starting because I leave the heroes depowered, but conscious, that should not happen because Rogue was selective, and she absorbed all the minds and personality of legion at the same time, and was in perfect condition, That anguish of UA, should not happen, at least not as it was written, if all the heroes were in a coma because tomos their psyches was acceptable, but being in control, it is not, that was bad writing.

And:

Rogue doing a better mental scan of the Legion mind, something Xavier and Emma could not do.

No Caption Provided

It is only questioned before it is confirmed omega level, because potential omega she already is.

rogue1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rogue1812
    @xelossik said:

Rogue couldn't absorb Phoenix powers in X-men Legacy AvX Tie In because Phoenix energy is sentient.

There are strange cases where very few characters are resistant to their ticket, but still they are not immune.

But she has already contained powers of cosmic enrgia, there would be no reason why she could not, unless for some strange reason, she was resistant, but she would be a perfect container for the PF, she has already demonstrated to be able to store unlimited energy.

If I absorb the power of practically all the heroes of the planet and I stop a Celestial, that is much more than the P5 in individual, that did not seem exaggeratedly powerful.

In addition she has already been able to contain enormous cosmic powers, AK Genis Vell.

Xelossik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest: wrote:
    ". Also you still have the 8 Billion psyches she absorbed in the early 2000's X men series."

and what was later? she became insane and unconcious.

"The Scene in Uncanny avengers was simply inconstant writing."

or maybe having 1000 powers is harder than having few powers and a lot of personalities.

Rogue scanned Legion. She didn't had or use all his powers.

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xelossik: Rogue only absorbed a couple of hundred power and Psyches in Uncanny avengers. Also it was never the powers that overwhelmed Rogue but the Psyches. So the argument still remains it was inconsistent writing.

Here goes the image about the Voices overwhelming her not the powers.

No Caption Provided

During the X men legacy series she was connected to 1000's of personalities. Drawing on means using in this context.

No Caption Provided

During Uncanny avengers she only had a couple of hundred.

No Caption Provided

During X men she absorbed the Hetacomb and only truly went insane for a couple of seconds because she didn't get rid of the Hetacombs powers until Hope touched her and erased them. Even then it was the Hetacomb+88 Strain Virus that was messing her up.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Even then she wasn't screaming in pain like she was in uncanny avengers and the Hetacomb had 8 billion twisted minds. And during Uncanny avengers Rogue wasn't dying from a virus. Rogue handled absorbing 8 Billion minds better then she did a couple of hundred.

rogue1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest:

I agree with all of what you say.

1) UA although it was a huge feat of power, Rogue vs the celestial, she should not have problems with psyques als, because she controlled her power there, and was selective, and ene sa fight she decided to take only powers not als psyques that's why The heroes were all depowered, but they were not unconscious.

2) She says clearly that absorbs all the personalities at once, then decided to leave all the powers and just stay with eld and teleportation is another thing, but it is clear that she merged and absorbed all their personalities at the same time.

What happened in UA does not make sense anywhere you look, she was selective, she did not have to have the mental problems caused by psyches.

Even so if you ignore that, it is one of the greatest examples of power that a hero has ever given, I absorb the powers of all the heroes of the planet, wow.

@xelossik: Rogue only absorbed a couple of hundred power and Psyches in Uncanny avengers. Also it was never the powers that overwhelmed Rogue but the Psyches. So the argument still remains it was inconsistent writing.

Here goes the image about the Voices overwhelming her not the powers.

No Caption Provided

During the X men legacy series she was connected to 1000's of personalities. Drawing on means using in this context.

No Caption Provided

During Uncanny avengers she only had a couple of hundred.

No Caption Provided

During X men she absorbed the Hetacomb and only truly went insane for a couple of seconds because she didn't get rid of the Hetacombs powers until Hope touched her and erased them. Even then it was the Hetacomb+88 Strain Virus that was messing her up.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Even then she wasn't screaming in pain like she was in uncanny avengers and the Hetacomb had 8 billion twisted minds. And during Uncanny avengers Rogue wasn't dying from a virus. Rogue handled absorbing 8 Billion minds better then she did a couple of hundred.

Xelossik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogue1812:

Ok ok

I thought that there is a difference between soul of a god and human. Virus improved her powers... Her powers were stronger than normally.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xelossik said:

@cosmiccelest said:

Pretty much what I said. It wont LET her not that she can't. She has absorbed Jean Grey before. Now don't know if she had the Phoenix or not. However it looks like the Phoenix Force.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Rogue also has little issue with absorbing insane Characters. She was perfectly fine with the Thousands of psyches in Legions head and I would argue he is more insane than Graviton. So that was a writer inconsistency.

No Caption Provided

To answer this claim, no. That is not the Phoenix Force. That is actually base Jean in the Phoenix costume back before the Twelve arc. She chose to wear it as a sign of her moving on from fearing her abilities. A rebirth so to speak.

No Caption Provided

As for the answer to the question: Can Rogue absorb the Phoenix Force?

No. She can’t.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

MarvelBible803

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is yes, and somehow I think her Phoenix powers (if she absorbed them that is) would become permanent. I don’t necessarily know how she can get the powers she absorbs permanently but my guess is when she keeps them in her long enough. And her new with pure cosmic psionic life force energy it’d be catastrophic the Phoenix force goes into her body to get its own vessel but since rogues alive and her powers are adapting to her body she takes full control and becomes one with the being.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.