Follow

Starfire

Character » Starfire appears in 2189 issues.

Formerly warrior Princess Koriand'r of the now-destroyed planet Tamaran, Starfire found a new home on Earth and a new family in the Teen Titans. She was once romantically involved with Dick Grayson, and often dealt with hostilities from her older sister Blackfire. Starfire has also served with many other teams such as the Outsiders, Justice League, R.E.B.E.L.S. and Jason Todd's Outlaws.

A Pair of 38s

• 101 results
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz
    No Caption Provided
    I think by this point it is no surprise that I am not such a big fan of the depiction of Starfire in "Red Hood and The Outlaws", but I have been over that (if you are interested my recent blogs cover it in some detail.)  In terms of the actual issue there was one phrase which I felt was offensive, the above one where Jason and Roy are referring to Kory as only her breast size.  I will not get into the offensive part here, but what is patently stupid is referring to a woman by the first part of her breast size and not the the second part.  To begin with the measurement for bust size starts with the circumference of the body directly below the breasts.  So really there is no indication possible from this as to how this relates to the size of her breasts.  Coincidentally though most comic book characters are drawn relatively the same, thus all women have similar frames.  Thus there would be a direct relation between height and this number.  Kory's wiki page lists her as 6' 4'', say if this is the case and if she had a 38 as a number then someone a foot shorter than her (approximately my height) would have about a 28, which doesn't leave a lot of room for organs.  This raises another problem, women just like men come in all shapes and sizes, a women who is 5'3'' could have a 38 for this number or a 32.  Forgive Roy and Jason for a minute though and assume that they don't know this, a pair of 38s doesn't really refer to anything at all, other than that circumference of the chest.  When the breasts get calculated (I won't bother with the explanation - there are videos on YouTube if you are interested) then that is actually the size of breasts.  So a pair of 38s refers to a woman that has a circumference below her breasts of 38 inches (well actually 33 but not explaining that part).  That is all that means.  38A for instance would mean her breasts were relatively small, thus not exciting the frat boy superheroes.  Whereas a woman with 32DD would seemingly render the hereoes nearly obsolete.  There that is all I am finally done with issue #1, bring on issue #2    

(By the way this blog can be considered an educated response to this thread)
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BatteredArmor

CAN WE GIVE THIS A REST WE GET IT STARFIRE WAS VIEWED SEXUALLY AND IT WAS IN POOR TASTE (in your opinion i thought they handled it fine)SO CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT KORYS MILK DUDS.........wow never thought i'd say that

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

@BlackArmor said:

CAN WE GIVE THIS A REST WE GET IT STARFIRE WAS VIEWED SEXUALLY AND IT WAS IN POOR TASTE (in your opinion i thought they handled it fine)SO CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT KORYS MILK DUDS.........wow never thought i'd say that

You could just ignore the thread.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

Maybe they heard all this backlash from fans and will correct all this objectifying of women.....btw, who wrote this? Scott Lobdell,? he always has women doing promiscuous things in his books, he probably had a girlfriend or two that cheated on him

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

@InnerVenom123:

Good point my bad and your right but still this is literly going into the double digits (insert kory breast joke here) this has been thouroughly discussed and i know i should ignore it but still it's just starting to be overwhelming but from now on i'll just try to ignore them i guess....but if 5 or more start i'm commenting agaiin because enough is enough......never thought id say that about discussing comic book breast....... wow i had no idea how said that sounds when typed

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @BlackArmor: Sorry, I made it tacitly clear early in the post, this has nothing to do with me complaining about her depiction (I did that elsewhere).  I only meant this to be informative, as the statement itself in the comic was asinine
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mercy_

Argh. It annoys me to no end. Large number =/= large boobs. The size of the boobs themselves is all about the letter. This is not hard to figure out with a little research.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

@RazzaTazz: Yeah i did read it but there are only so many times you can discuss breast period complaining or not before it gets knid of old in my opinion i just feel like this has been discussed from every angle but i'm probably wrong

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @The Dark Huntress: Amen sister!  Testify!   

@BlackArmor: If you don't like the quality of my blogs take it up with the management :P
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mercy_

@BlackArmor said:

@InnerVenom123:

Good point my bad and your right but still this is literly going into the double digits (insert kory breast joke here) this has been thouroughly discussed and i know i should ignore it but still it's just starting to be overwhelming but from now on i'll just try to ignore them i guess....but if 5 or more start i'm commenting agaiin because enough is enough......never thought id say that about discussing comic book breast....... wow i had no idea how said that sounds when typed

Did you even read the blog? It's not even about how Kory was objectified. It's about how simple it is to do research and get small facts like this correct.

@RazzaTazz: I've explained this like seven times to people here before. x_X

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @BlackArmor said:

@RazzaTazz: Yeah i did read it but there are only so many times you can discuss breast period complaining or not before it gets knid of old in my opinion i just feel like this has been discussed from every angle but i'm probably wrong

Well, your neglecting a few angles, like her skin tone and whether or not she need apply sun block, and then there is the whole, how can aliens and humans actually oh, and there are several more biological and physiological reasons to discuss...  

I get what you mean though, because literally all CV threads all look the same to me, plus I usually say the same thing in all of them. 
    EmmaGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EmmaGrace

@BlackArmor said:

He isn't complaining about the portrayal of her sexuality, just the incorrect assumption that a woman with a large number has large boobs. This is just a good example of that common mistake.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz

@The Dark Huntress said:

@BlackArmor said:

@InnerVenom123:

Did you even read the blog? It's not even about how Kory was objectified. It's about how simple it is to do research and get small facts like this correct.

@RazzaTazz: I've explained this like seven times to people here before. x_X

I must say that was my intention.  You should blog about such topics, plus from what I understand about bullets, a .38 is not even that powerful.  If your backup was really a guy with a pair of .38s and you were fighting an army with tanks, he might by you an extra 3 seconds while they stopped to laugh at him
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @SC: I agree, my blog topics are usually pretty dull 

@EmmaGrace: Actually I wrote this from personal experience
    Avatar image for omegathedestroyer
    OmegaTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress: explain it all you want, most guys aren't going to pick it up. The subject we are discussing here is one that renders most men useless and all they care about is how far down the alphabet the letter is and how many letters there are. Sad to say but it is fact.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercy_

@OmegaTheDestroyer said:

@The Dark Huntress: explain it all you want, most guys aren't going to pick it up. The subject we are discussing here is one that renders most men useless and all they care about is how far down the alphabet the letter is and how many letters there are. Sad to say but it is fact.

I totally get that. Guys for the most part (and especially when it comes to comics) are more into the look of things (especially when it has to specifically do with the female body) than the science or logic behind it. But does that mean that it should just be let go without any attempt to rectify that thinking?

EmmaGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EmmaGrace

@RazzaTazz: Either way, it didn't come across to me as another blog about Starfire's sexuality.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BatteredArmor

@The Dark Huntress: @RazzaTazz:

First off let me say my intent was not to insult offend or repremend anybody and that secondly i did indeed read the article. i was not suggesting at least not intentanally that you were complaining about starfires potrayal but merely questioning the effectiveness and purpose of having yet another thread focusing or heavily involving her natural endowments. if you want me to remove the comment simply ask, however if you revisit my comment at a time where you are less easily offended then you will discover a core of sarcasm and humor there indicated by the all caps letters, for those of you who are unfimilliar with my style all caps is used solely to indicate humor or at least a willingness to recognize the lighter or better side of something "SO CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT KORYS MILK DUDS.........wow never thought i'd say that"

As a heterosexual male i simply felt as if Starfire had been objectifide enough and that we could stalp disscussing her.......shall we say more feminen endowments

PS. can't deactivat italics yours truly BlackArmor

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @RazzaTazz said:
    If your backup was really a guy with a pair of .38s and you were fighting an army with tanks, he might by you an extra 3 seconds while they stopped to laugh at him

I think, like the entire issue, they were trying to be a bit conservative? Talking of higher numbers may have been a bit too.. gratuitous?   

@RazzaTazz said:
    @SC: I agree, my blog topics are usually pretty dull 

Yeah, you can't even joke there, everyone knows your blogs are the bestiest of the bestiest. *nods*
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @OmegaTheDestroyer: This is exactly the point.  A woman with a C cup at size 32 will likely appear to have larger breasts than a woman with 38 and an A.  So I was just pointing out that the entire concept of referring to a pair of 38s means almost nothing.  
    cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20  Edited By cosmo111687

I love these blogs. :)

Also, Red Hood says that he has 38 backups. So how does Arsenal make the conclusion that he's referring to a pair of 38s (for reasons other than to set-up a very weak and offensive joke)?

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By B'Town

Good point Razza Tazz. I know, I literally shook my head when I read that page. hah. There isn't anything "pair" about a 38.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that people who don't wear bras don't understand that. =)

Cup size my dear boyfriends, those A's, B's, C's and of course your DD's. That's where the pair are. heh.heh.

If nothing good comes from this first issue maybe we can use this badly done page to educate.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @BlackArmor: Its ok, my point is only that the statement was ridiculous, references to Kory were only by association
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @cosmo111687:  
    @B'Town:  

Still waiting for one of those comic book reading gun fans to back me up that a 38 caliber is not really good backup against an army (even two of them) 

And education is always good, did you read my blog on the physics of Kory's hair?
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@BlackArmor said:

Good news the writer said her memory and jason's remarks(didn't specify which) were suppose to be taken as sarcasm

Starfire blows off roys questions about her teammates, I think jason was bustin roy's chops because he was oogling at star

Avatar image for omegathedestroyer
    OmegaTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress said:

@OmegaTheDestroyer said:

I totally get that. Guys for the most part (and especially when it comes to comics) are more into the look of things (especially when it has to specifically do with the female body) than the science or logic behind it. But does that mean that it should just be let go without any attempt to rectify that thinking?

I fully support what you're saying and trying to do. I was just saying that most guys are blind by the subject at hand and only see and hear what they want to.

which is mostly: large...and boobs...and the same letter repeated in a row (mostly the ones that come after "D")
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @The Dark Huntress said:

We totally need Grant Morrison, Marjorie Liu and Mike Carey to write a Rogue, X-23 and Emma mini series! 
    owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27  Edited By owie  Moderator

I totally agree. Even as a guy, I read that part of the comic and thought, this makes no sense. If you're going to write a boob joke, at least know what you're talking about.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By B'Town

@BlackArmor said:

Whose complaining about menstruation? Huh? o_O

No complaints here.

We could discuss???

edit to add; I think I misunderstood what was meant here by "period". hahah. Sorry. :}

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By the_stegman

Roy and Jason are guys, guys talk about girl's boobs, it's pretty normal conversation really 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mercy_

@OmegaTheDestroyer said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@OmegaTheDestroyer said:

I fully support what you're saying and trying to do. I was just saying that most guys are blind by the subject at hand and only see and hear what they want to. which is mostly: large...and boobs...and the same letter repeated in a row (mostly the ones that come after "D")

LMAO. We're on the same page, then. :)

@SC said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

We totally need Grant Morrison, Marjorie Liu and Mike Carey to write a Rogue, X-23 and Emma mini series!

Or Kyle/Yost. But OMG yes!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BatteredArmor

@EnSabahNurX:

That really is good news it's good to see she rembers her history Thanks for the info

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @The Stegman: Thats fine, they just dont know what they are talking about is all
    _Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By _Marco_Smith_

My one gripe on Starfire is one for a lot of the aliens out there (you know who you are).... Stop looking human dammit.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34  Edited By cosmo111687

@RazzaTazz said:

@cosmo111687:
    @B'Town: Still waiting for one of those comic book reading gun fans to back me up that a 38 caliber is not really good backup against an army (even two of them) And education is always good, did you read my blog on the physics of Kory's hair?

:) Yes I did. Made me break-out in laughter. It was pretty brilliant. :)

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't just the 38s joke that annoyed me, but the way the two were almost in the likeness of the annoying brothers from Supernatural. In personality, that is.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By B'Town

@cosmo111687 said:

@RazzaTazz said:

@cosmo111687:
    @B'Town: Still waiting for one of those comic book reading gun fans to back me up that a 38 caliber is not really good backup against an army (even two of them) And education is always good, did you read my blog on the physics of Kory's hair?

:) Yes I did. Made me break-out in laughter. It was pretty brilliant. :)

Yep, I read it too. Fabulous. I read it on my phone during lunch today. Thanks for the lunchtime entertainment and physics class. :D

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @sesquipedalophobe: I can sympathize with you my friend, but this is the forum only for breast size, i promised the readers we would not complain about those aspects here.  Might I direct your attention to one of 500 other blogs on the site about this subject?  (490 which were written by me)
    BATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BATPANEXE

I think at least it can be agreed upon that it's bad writing and the pun is tasteless and weak.

This college frat boy humor is way popular, and the first issue may be a forecast as to who the target audience is.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz: My bad. But with the way the characters were written, any number of bad jokes could have been inserted. For instance, mammary cannons.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @aztek_the_lost said:

I'm a 36 technically but I don't think that should make me sound hot, should it?

Unfortunately for you, everyone's eyes remain firmly fixed on your beard. 0_0 
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By PowerHerc

No one says "38s."

Let's get it straight; It's "40s."

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheCrowbar

Weren't they referring to 38s as a caliber of a gun? It's a bit much to assume that was refering to her breasts, especially since they needed a way out of a fire fight, and 38 mm gun would be rather useful. (For reference: That's a naval ship size weapon)

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Cervantes

@RazzaTazz: You keep on keepin' on, Razz! Of COURSE we're going to discuss outlandish things in comics, and especially the newest comics -- you're performing a service because I haven't read this issue and after your blogs, I'm now saving some coin! So there's a good reason to continue.

I mean, it's not like Starfire is some anonymous red shirt that these face palm idiocies keep croppin' up with! Get it right, DC, or it's D-ROPPED by readers.

BTW: Surprised so many guys don't know the letter is the size - after all, the funniest line I ever heard in "Lost" came after Kate and Sawyer stumbled into a nest of bees...

Kate: There were bees in my shirt.

Charlie: I would've guessed C's.

No Caption Provided
    Wait, I thought you had a pair of 38's...?
    Wait, I thought you had a pair of 38's...?

@TheCrowbar: I hope so, that would give me hope if they were talking about the naval guns. Haven't seen the context of the actual issue...

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @Cervantes
    Razza posted it.

Sorry I think it's too much of a stretch.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Daveyo520

I have never heard any guy talk about breast with the number alone. So ya, common vernacular would be the letter. The least they could do would get how people talk right.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Cervantes: Thats pretty funny 

@SC said:
    @aztek_the_lost said:

I'm a 36 technically but I don't think that should make me sound hot, should it?

Unfortunately for you, everyone's eyes remain firmly fixed on your beard. 0_0 
    Person staring at Az's beard, Az replies "My eyes are up here" 

@TheCrowbar said:
    Weren't they referring to 38s as a caliber of a gun? It's a bit much to assume that was refering to her breasts, especially since they needed a way out of a fire fight, and 38 mm gun would be rather useful. (For reference: That's a naval ship size weapon)
    I think it was meant as a play on words
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @RazzaTazz
    No one says, "Julie carries a pair of breasts, or "carries Double D's"  It'd be "She has a pair of breasts" or "Has double D's"

No they were referring to her destructive power. I keep reading the comic and it doesn't make sense otherwise, given the situation and context they're in. You're over-analyzing in my opinion.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @TheCrowbar: I respect your interpretation, but i don't think most people would agree with you on it.  
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Men dont care about the size, women do care about the size.(This is a joke, but to be honest women care more about the size that men, what is actually sad)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Also Jason kills everything it moves, he dont care for human life, so is so hard to understand he makes bad taste jokes?

The guy is a jackass, i mean if this was a Deadpool comic by Daniel Way everybody would say, oh that Deadpool he is so funny.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.