Follow

Starfire

Character » Starfire appears in 2189 issues.

Formerly warrior Princess Koriand'r of the now-destroyed planet Tamaran, Starfire found a new home on Earth and a new family in the Teen Titans. She was once romantically involved with Dick Grayson, and often dealt with hostilities from her older sister Blackfire. Starfire has also served with many other teams such as the Outsiders, Justice League, R.E.B.E.L.S. and Jason Todd's Outlaws.

Her own solo series.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I heard she's getting her own solo soon, im a bit out of the loop on comic news so im not sure if there's any truth to this, is there? And how much info do we got?

And I guess we can also use this thread as a "Your thoughts on her upcoming solo." topic if there's any truth to it. Personally i'd love to get to know the character more without the other Titans around.

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@bruxae: yeah they announced it with all the other series coming our for June after their big event Convergence. I'm personally extremely excited especially with the creative team the have on it. Palmiotti and Conner write some of the best female characters in comics and I'm hoping they kick butt on this and I'm loving the new costume. I'm looking forward to some expanding of her mythology and maybe she can even run into Tom King's new Omega Men.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Well we know that Palmiotti and Conner are team up again to write it with Luppachino (Supergirl) responsible for the art and I think that's a pretty solid creative team for the character.

I am interested in the series because I think that Starfire has potential as a character and has a size-able fanbase but never received much individual focus throughout her character's history and whenever she did receive focus, it was always with her relationship with particular characters. After having to endure being trapped in RHATO, I think her fanbase deserves a good solo Starfire title that they can feel proud of. The book can take one of two routes (or both) where she's either in space most of the time interacting with the cosmic side of the DCU (the Lanterns, Lobo, Hawkman, Hawkgirl if she's in Prime-Earth, Omega Men, Maxima, etc) where she would feel more at home or she'll be on Earth and it'll be a fish-out-of-water story. Unlike Superman, Supergirl and Martian Manhunter, she really can't disguise herself amongst humans, not that she would want to anyway.

There are some concerns though as Amanda Conner essentially turned Power-Girl into a walking boob-joke and while Power-Girl was in Harley Quinn, it seemed as though the writers couldn't go an issue without poking fun of her 'boob window'. I don't want the focus of a Starfire series to be about how sexy she is. The idea of her character is that she's a sexually liberated female who doesn't view her sexuality and the subject of sex as something to be ashamed of and when you combine that with the NTT idea that her emotions make her stronger, she symbolizes empowerment. I think that is a very positive message for women and girls everywhere but a lot of times when it comes to Starfire, she doesn't come across as empowering but more as a male fantasy and the 'ultimate girlfriend'. A balance can be made between a sexually liberated female who empowers women and a male fantasy, I hope the new series strikes that balance.

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

While I'd like to see Starfire & the other Titans reunited (not a New 52 fan lol), the idea of Kory getting her own solo series, and getting away from Jason Todd & Roy Harper XD, does appeal to me. Will the Outlaw comics still be in continuity or will they be retconned after the Convergence event? I feel that Kory's solo series would have more potential if the Outlaws comics were no longer canon (since in the Outlaws books Blackfire was robbed of her villainous nature & the Citadel was taken out by her before she arrived on earth apparently...She'd have much more of a rogue's gallery to work with if her archfoe Blackfire was still her big bad instead of a "loving sister," plus various other Vega System aliens & the Citadel empire to deal with).

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@sinestro2828 said:

While I'd like to see Starfire & the other Titans reunited (not a New 52 fan lol), the idea of Kory getting her own solo series, and getting away from Jason Todd & Roy Harper XD, does appeal to me. Will the Outlaw comics still be in continuity or will they be retconned after the Convergence event? I feel that Kory's solo series would have more potential if the Outlaws comics were no longer canon (since in the Outlaws books Blackfire was robbed of her villainous nature & the Citadel was taken out by her before she arrived on earth apparently...She'd have much more of a rogue's gallery to work with if her archfoe Blackfire was still her big bad instead of a "loving sister," plus various other Vega System aliens & the Citadel empire to deal with).

I'm not sure if her time as an "Outlaw" will be retconned completely, but I do think that RHATO will have very little to no influence on how Palmiotti and Conner approach the character. From interviews, it seemed as though they are going to fashion the Starfire solo after one of their more notable collaborations, Powergirl. I just don't see how you could write that type of story using "Outlaw" Starfire.

However, I'm not sure how the new creative team will handle Blackfire because the tone will be lighter, the supporting cast will be mostly human, so I'm not sure we'll see her in a villain role, if at all. Same goes for the Citadel.

I haven't followed the creative team on twitter so maybe they have tweets that provide more insight into what they're doing with Starfire.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By youknowwhattodo
    The new Starfire
    The new Starfire

You can read the whole preview for free on Comixology. There are a lot of cameos in there, including Roy and Essence from RHATO, so it doesn't look as though her time as an "Outlaw" is completely erased (thought it could have just been an Easter Egg), but this does read like a different book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.