Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18950 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Questioning Superman's Muscularity - 1968

• 67 results
    Avatar image for rahulrakeshprasad
    rahulrakeshprasad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nice!

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good Article! I guess we all know that Superman's powers namely his strength do not come from his biceps but the rays of a yellow sun. So any Kryptonian, even one that is 90 years old if under the yellow sun would be able to do the same things Kal-El can. So size for a Kryptonian does not matter as longs as they are under the yellow sun.

This,

NOT take into account gender or even size differences.I'm really hate "more muscle so more stronger"concept It is completely unreasonable, especially Superman has contempt physics, why do we still have to use our perception to think Superman do?

amsiderian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really don't get why superpowered powerhouses like supes have tonnes of muscles. their strength is genetically wired..he does not need weights to lift a planet..infact batman shuld be more buff than him..main reason my bro never reads superman..too much muscles

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

lol This is great, Awesome story!

TSP2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TSP2000

Cool. I think this story, apart from the comic-related matters, is awesome and sweet. Long live Dads.

koolbluereese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thumbs up to you & ya pops now when when new 52 superman reaches like 35 I think he is at least between twenty one and twenty five since he is crashing with jimmy and also thanks to ya pops I have that issue with the battle with h'el tell him I said thanks for making superman train harder! Lol

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats pretty cool to see your Dad in the letter columns :-)

Those old letter columns are funny. In reading them you can see that the fans were just as obsessive and anal over little details as they are today.

As for muscularity I think it reflects a change in public perceptions. While society is way more obese than back the physical ideal has shifted to a more athletic, low bodyfat physique and we've been exposed to a generation of roided up athletes/movie stars etc.

redbullpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps he was just on steroids? Lol

Amratheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those stating that Batman's physique can't be achieved in reality, take a look at Olympic wrestlers. They're very muscular, strong, fast, agile, flexible, and enduring. Not truly "peak" in all respects, but well-rounded in terms of all around abilities and conditioning. As for Superman, who would want to read a comic with a 98-pound Kal-El? Lol.

Avatar image for briangothic1970
    briangothic1970

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

philwebber54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of solar energy being used by Kryptonian metabolisms to achieve a variety of effects, including resistance to injury and super strength. It makes sense to me because of Kal's ability to sense and manipulate electromagnetic energies. Plus even slender Kryptonians like Faora have immense strength.

Avatar image for malikabrahams39
    malikabrahams39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't need big muscles to be super strong look at spiderman but he picks up 10x his original weight

toomannyfaces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By toomannyfaces

I have always loved the idea that Superman didn't really need to by "muscular" in the sense of a bulky physiology because his powers came from the yellow rays of our Sun. It also helps to hide his identity because if we all remember the "Justice League" animated series from Cartoon Network, Superman as Clark Kent was kind of obvious...

I think purely based on the fact that he is such an active individual, he should has a "cut" physique, but to exaggerate his muscles is really just more to play on sexual attraction to draw in an audience.

Regardless, I loved this topic and enjoy discussing these issues on my blogComically Cultured. I discuss the various aspects of culture portrayed throughout the comic book industry in an attempt to legitimate the industry as a source of cultural text from which we can better understand both American and global societies. My posts will review various comics, graphic novels, and any subjects related to show how enjoyable and relevant comics are in our everyday lives.

I would LOVE for you to have a guest post sometime. Please feel free to email me about it! mfnunez828@gmail.com

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it was from your dad when he was young but isnt Supermans strength from his muscle density being denser due to his physiology rather then the yellow rays of light?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That. Is. AWESOME.

Avatar image for justanotheromnipotentguy12
    Justanotheromnipotentguy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man can lift upto 25 tons, with his arms up straight. At most he can lift 40 tons ( with release of epinephrine) epinephrine is adrenaline

ShadowPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who gives a damn about a character's muscularity?

ShadowPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who gives a damn about a character's muscularity?

Sighburr_Punk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Sighburr_Punk

Lets not also forget Flashpoint Superman, eh?

Loved the article by the way, I'd be proud of my dad if he sent in a letter like that.

Avatar image for infinity_lion_comics
    infinity_lion_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Oh, really? OMG.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's been said several times already on this thread, but seriously, that was way too cool.

amathur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By amathur

What a nice story, bro! I'm laughing hard at this, your dad is a visionary and must be an awesome guy!

tamlaysang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe the audience saw the wrong version of superman? Like a thinner one.

johnmc21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By johnmc21

Nicely Done, Speed up your workflow

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.