Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18950 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What power levels do you prefer Superman at?

• 70 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mightykalel:

What did you mean by that ? Jon is faster than Clark when latter was at Jon's age or he is already faster than our current supes?

I was like "what the ....." when I saw rebirth superman struggling at earth's core. He should have stayed there without breaking a sweat. I think the writers would bring him back to his previous levels soon. It was probably WIS, or I like to believe it that way.

I believe it was on Action Comics most recent comic, or this week comic. We see Jon and Kal doing a little father son race, to see who gets home faster. Jon still can't fly or he can't control his flying ability, so he races, while Superman flies.

When Superman arrives at home Jon is already there with a smirk on his face. Also while running I don't know if he was simply boasting or stating a fact, but Jon says "Not even The Flash can catch me" and Superman did looked truthfully surprised when he sees Jon had arrived home faster than him.

So regardless of what he said about the Flash, he was faster than Superman. There's no doubt or loop hole in that feat.

So we have Jon who's heat vision his already strong enough to seriously burn Superman back, when he was trying to help his father, and also he's already faster. All he lack is his invulnerability and son might very well surpass father very soon.

Here... The scan I was shown in the review I read.

No Caption Provided
    @stephens2177 said:

New 52 Superman was unabashedly top dog,he was Hella powerful,and he was finding new ways to use his powers,while gaining new ones at the same time.he was the closest thing we had to silver age superman.we need a superman who is the obvious powerhouse in the DCU.

Nuperman is probably silver age superman,after the convergence team changed COIE things.

Yes. He was without a doubt far more powerful than Convergence/Rebirth Superman.

Although he had a lot of one time powers due mainly to the writers, he was able to use Microwave Vision and Gamma Vision. This Superman well... I seriously doubt writers are gonna show him doing anything even remotely original, seeing the top order around DC seems to be to deviate as little as possible from what pre-Flashpoint was. And thus I don't expect this Superman to surprise me in any way. The only thing that as surprised me is his knowledge of previous events that obviously don't match the original stories and also how much more weaker he is compared to the real pre-Flashpoint Superman.

And I say "real" because his feats are set in the stone of the history of comic books. So people can't argue what was, they can only argue what is. And Rebirth Superman is obviously less powerful than pre-Flashpoint Superman. So if they are supposed to be the same person somewhere someone, lost a memo reguarding what pre-Flashpoint Superman power levels were.

Also like specially Wraith shown. Nuperman lacked most of all training and experience. The way Wraith used his powers, he basically said that everything he was able to do Superman should also be able to do, but he simply didn't knew how. Which is always sad and infurriating when I see writers write Superman saying "See! He could do much more things than just the regular powers you've seen time and time again. But he doesn't use them because we don't want him to be too powerful."

And yes. New52 Superman was the closest we got to a Superman that was closer to Silver Age Superman level and powers, minus the incredible stupid stories. Like sending the blast of an explosion back in time, kind of stupidity.

I really don't get why this Ruperman is weaker than the pre-Flashpoint version. It's almost like people at DC are at odds with each other. Where some want to show that they don't agree with Johns move, by making this Ruperman seem like not pre-Flashpoint Superman.

People can say "But Jurgens as said that Rebirth Superman is the same one of the pre-Flashpoint timeline". Yes he did said that, but obviously not everyone in DC seems to agree with him. Because they can't make him weaker now and stronger down the line, without making it look like an asspull.

And now by having his kid seemingly already surpassing his father in some aspects... What kind of father son relationship will that look like!? At least Bruce wehen he took someone under his wing, his students have to work their asses off to try and reach Bruce's level. Jon on the other hand is already starting to surpass his father without any effort at all. Normally when I see writers do stuff like this, is to a) create friction between teacher and student (in this case father and son) b) to make it easier for that character to rebel against the other, after all he sees he's becoming more powerful than his father, how long until he starts to disobey him c) makes him a better weapon to be manipulated and used against his father

All cliché moves. But moves that I see writers repeat over and over again. Like they're trying to teach the readers some deep lesson.

I think superman was probably comparing Jon's speed to the speed he had when he was at Jon's age. Jon is developing powers faster than Clark did in his childhood it seems. It doesn't look like a serious racing. As for the words of Jon about flash, its sure he said that playfully. It would be stupid if DC make Jon in his childhood as powerful or more powerful than Clark. They aren't going to do that imo. Clark will have better feats in the coming stories.

I enjoyed every rebirth superman related issues so far. I expect the writers would give superman an upgrade soon. Not stupid powers like super flare which he can't use often. I am done with the weaknesses superman has.

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

New 52 superman power level should be right about it . Weakened bench pressing the earths weight for days .Getting too close to sun or gets hit with solar energy greatly increases his power levels . I think he said it all this time he has been like a cup half full. So even below half strength he can easily bench presses the earth. His durability when serious is pretty high even his energy or radiation absorption. Not to mention his heat vision could do way more even go to higher levels. He would be a very powerful character if he had learned how to control that solar flare. Use it in energy from he would a been a difficult character to defeat.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By stephens2177

He should be able to absorb all energy

Amp himself to infinite levels

He doesn't need new powers really,just better and maybe sometimes more powerful uses of them.

I don't think the sonar vision or solar flare should be HIS powers,i see them more of kon-els powers.

Rebirth Superman is about family and "looking" like the classic,while new 52 was about being a crusader,being the SUPERman.so I can kinda see the emphasis of power levels different

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically post-crisis/n52

However, I think he needs to be the clear and definitive "powerhouse" of the JL.

he is in the cannon d.c. universe....the comic vine universe just thinks differently.

Avatar image for deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7
    deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strength: Peak Post Crisis level, moving planets and all on his own. Not busting planets like the Marvel characters, though. He's meant to be a savior.

Speed: FTL (not millions of times speed of light or a little slower than the flash)

Invulnerability: Harmed only by beings equal to or greater than him. Not tanking Omega beams, though. Surviving supernovas is fine, though it should KO him at least.

Heat Vision: Melt a planet.

Freeze Breath and Senses: As usual.

Solar Dip: After a sun dip, he should also project energy from his hands. It would look cool. His invulnerability and strength should go 10x.

I have been thinking about the explanation given for his flight in Birthright. It was cool, and by that logic, he could create gravity fields around himself (kinda like Sue Storm's force fields). This pic gave me the idea:

No Caption Provided

Yeah, this power should come after a Solar dip, as it would make him far too powerful for regular use.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By segamarvel

@wallywest042: Holy crap dude that looks awesome! You gotta tell me where you found that. Was it on deviantart? And if it was what name was it called? That is officially my new screensaver.

Avatar image for deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7
    deactivated-5af85f4e3dbf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Superman-Man-of-steel-287979333

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@stephens2177: What power dominance? He got his ass kicked by people who shouldn't be able to like that intangible girl and some Predator rip off. Plus don't forget Superman's Truth power levels, that was as far from power dominance as you get.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you call lifting the weight of the earth for 5 days with no sunlight,or flying in space as fast as he has been shown to do,or hear from 1 planet to another,or etc etc.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peak Pre-Flashpoint/New-52 power level would be perfectly ok for me (well, that and some reworking of Supes' list of weaknesses).

Avatar image for deactivated-61215780523f9
    deactivated-61215780523f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever level he was at during OWAW I guess.

So normal PC levels.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Post-crisis Superman is the best for me.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer a good story , it is not much to ask who cares if he can bench press the sun. It is not important he is not the only hero and the plot comes first. Make it worth my money. Nothing sucks worse then buying a comic and finding you wasted not only your time but your money. A novel is only a few bucks more and you get a good read. Why have comics gone up in price and we get a run around like a used car dealership. You scratch your head walk away thinking nothing like what I ask for.

Avatar image for proteusxmanrxis
    ProteusXManRxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Post Crisis

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45f2a1434a1
    deactivated-5d45f2a1434a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Post Crisis level, but I would buff him a little bit.

Striking Strength: Planet Level/Earth-sized, a casual Planet buster.

Energy Durability: I would make him tank a Solar System/Supernova damage output it with low to mid damage.
    Blunt Durability: Similar to the above ^^

And definitely would rather see better quantifiable power levels for Heat Vision (Sun Core level temperature)

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 takenstew22  Moderator

Post Crisis levels.

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I ultimately prefer him as the gentle and humble giant with too much power, holding back. I like the current version, Post-Crisis.

Avatar image for supermanfan1938
    Supermanfan1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy him when he's not held back by power levels, and saves the day cause he's Superman. Essentially what his distilled concept is suppose to be. (what the Thought Robot is powered by.)

Avatar image for masterbuster666
    MasterBuster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Age levels.

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku busting level

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.