Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8624 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Who should write Thor Odinson once he becomes worthy again? Here are my picks !!

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Thor-Parker

Who should write Thor Odinson

Hello everyone, this blog will be dedicated on who I think should write Thor Odinson once Jason Aaron is done. The Ragnarok movie keeps coming closer and we'll most likely see the god of thunder regain his worthiness around that time, not to mention Jason Aaron himself said he'd finish writing Thor at the end of 2017, so Marvel needs to start looking for the next writer.

Thor Odinson has gone through some bad stuff in the past years, he needs to come back with a bang, for that, they need someone of high caliber to make Thor re-gain everything that makes him awesome, to bring back all the cool concepts of his worldbuilding and the supporting characters, someone who knows how to write all the asgardian characters in an appropriate way and understands that Thor is beyond the mundane and mortal concepts, he is a deity, a god, but at the same time, make the readers care about this godly character, basically, that they manage to make the mortal and godly cohabitate and blend together perfectly, the next image describes what Thor should be when written properly.

No Caption Provided

My Picks

So here it goes, these two writers, in my opinion, would make one of the best (if not the best) Thor run based on how they have handled the character on the past.

===========================================================

Rick Remender

If any of you has read his Uncanny Avengers run, then you know that Remender gets Thor´s character perfectly and respects him a lot, and I mean a lot, he delivered some incredible moments with the god of thunder, both feat-wise and concept-wise.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Here is another one with a very quotable sentence for when you're simply not in the mood, it's funny and shows who the boss is, just so goddamn good.

"I care.... not"

"I care not"

"I........care.......NOT"

Talk about awesomeness, plain badass all around, just the way Odinson should be.

What´s great about Remender is that his stories are both plot-driven and character-driven, which is very hard to find nowadays, you usually have one or the other, but Rick Remender manages to mesh the two together perfectly and actually make some lasting developments to the characters he is working on. I would say Thor is the second lead role character in all of his Uncanny Avengers run, his actions are what moves most of the plot forward, and unlike every other writer at the moment, he only wrote Odin for three pages and represented him better than everyone else post-resurrection, whereas currently everyone portrays Odin as an old fool who yells all the time and has no regard for others, Remender injected some of the all father´s past self, the wise, all-knowing, all-caring Odin who always seeks what is best for everyone.

Seriously, I can´t recommend his Uncanny Avengers run enough, he understands that Thor is a deity, a god and he makes it clear in many instances, for example when Wasp is about to be murdered by Sentry, while we read Janet´s thoughts in that moment, she says "he´s insane, so much power, it would take an act of god to defeat him, and I happen to know one" then Thor comes in and smacks Sentry and turns his skull into goo.

Another similar instance is when the earth heroes ask how are they going to defeat the Celestial Exitar to which Captain America says, "with a god", and, you guessed it, Thor comes into the scene to take down Exitar by using Jarnbjorn.

No Caption Provided

To me, it is very important that the writer gets the godly concept of Thor, not because of feats or anything like that, but because of the concept itself, it is what makes Thor, well, Thor. When I read Thor, I want to get that godly vibe, if I wanted to read about human problems, I can go and grab a Daredevil or Captain America book, but when I grab a Thor book, I want to read about gods, about deities and godly figures and the cosmic, magical and big threats they have to deal with, while at the same time making us care about this godly characters and root for them, Rick Remender has shown he can do those things quite well.

Now, let's go to my other pick.

===========================================================

Jonathan Hickman

In a time where Thor was at his lowest quality-wise, when cheap gimmicks and PR stunts ruled the Marvel Universe and the god of thunder was amongst the most affected, he managed to pack an entire story arc for Thor in less than 8 issues and wrote him better than anyone else at the moment, while also giving him some incredible and badass moments. Take the following pages as an example, he got the character perfectly.

"The times, they try to shape us, perhaps instead of fighting, we should embrace it. Once, I was worthy, now it is no longer so, there was a time when I knew I would meet my fate in battle with Mjolnir in hand, I still believe that to be true" - Thor

It gives me chills every time I read that, just so good damn well written.

Hickman also made Thor worthy again before facing his inevitable death against the Beyonders, and instead of being worried, he laughed, but that was a laugh of relief because he would face his death as he should, being worthy and fighting not for himself, but for everyone else.

"If this is the end, let me not meet it as the unworthy......but as my father's son" - Thor

Hickman's stories are more plot-driven than character-driven, but in this case, that´s not a problem because he still manages to develop characters and give them great moments, all you need to look is at his Fantastic Four run, the very first panel from the beginning and the very last panel of the end of his run were related and served for one simple purpose, going deep into the character of Reed Richards, hell, in his very first story arc he almost made me cry because the story was emotionally deep, like really deep. Besides, his stories always have this sense of high-scope and big epic stories, I think he would do great with Thor´s character, he showed in his Avengers run that he has a really good grasp of the thunder god and respects him a lot, and he handles that godly aspect that I mentioned earlier and is so important to most of Thor readers incredibly well, an example is seen in Infinity #6 when one of Thanos´ servants says "in the end, all that remains are the whispered prayers of the condemned, and the hope that there´s a god up there listening" then Thor comes in and strucks Thanos with lightning.

No Caption Provided

Or the absolutely epic moment from Infinity as well, when all hope seems lost for the galaxy and Thor showed everyone that there was still hope, by killing a Builder.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RQabb

So there you have it, in my opinion, either Rick Remender or Jonathan Hickman would make a great fit in writing Thor Odinson, tell me what you think and let me know your picks in the comments below, hope you enjoyed the read !!

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This assumes he'll be worthy again. I'm not sure but maybe someone completely new should give him a try, if that indeed ever comes to pass.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally think Hickman could be a good choice, or if they bring back Walt Simonson somehow

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Simonson would be awesome, but highly unlikely.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally think Hickman could be a good choice, or if they bring back Walt Simonson somehow

Simonson would be nice indeed, plus his art is also top notch.

This assumes he'll be worthy again. I'm not sure but maybe someone completely new should give him a try, if that indeed ever comes to pass.

Thor will definitely be worthy again, there is no doubt about that.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spambot

@tifalockhart: Simonson is currently writing a Thor comic for IDW I think it is called Ragnarok. So I don't see him leaving a book he has complete creative control over to get back with Marvel. I read the first few issues and thought it was ok. Prob get a tpb of it at some point. Art is also pretty good(also being done by Walt).

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tifalockhart said:

@nerevarine_11 said:

You guys are tracking Simonson is writing a zombie Thor in his series Ragnarok, yes? It's IDW and not Marvel, but it's Simonson writing Thor. While I haven't read it (It's only recently come to my attention), it's gonna be in my next haul.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thor-Parker

@risingbean said:
    @thor_parker82 said:
    @tifalockhart said:

@nerevarine_11 said:

You guys are tracking Simonson is writing a zombie Thor in his series Ragnarok, yes? It's IDW and not Marvel, but it's Simonson writing Thor. While I haven't read it (It's only recently come to my attention), it's gonna be in my next haul.

I have heard of it but I´m not sure about checking it out.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: Whenever I get around to picking it up (and it may be awhile. Had to get a few big ticket expenditures this year) I'll let you know what I think of it.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: Whenever I get around to picking it up (and it may be awhile. Had to get a few big ticket expenditures this year) I'll let you know what I think of it.

Do let me know, thanks :)

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All good choice's but Simonson has godly ability with Thor and story arch's nice list

johnny_odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome points, and I also hope that Thor is written as it should again.

Do you have any preference with the art?

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Geoff John's

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Geoff John's

LOL not gonna happen. It would be awesome but no way.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice Thread...

Jonathan Hickman....

Not only because of the New Avengers issues in "time runs out", he his the perfect fit to rebuild the Asgardian/Godly worldbuilding...

I am a huge Walt Simonson fan, but in the current era Hickman is the right person to make Thor Godly again...

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What Marvel needs is 4 things.

1) Good writers.

2) Bendis and Co fired.

3) PC crap gone.

4) Rebirth DC-stile.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice post.

Also Ribic should do the art.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. its gotten to the point where no amount of good writing can undo the damage already done.

Or maybe Galactus finds out what is wrong with the world, travels outside of the Multiverse to the Battleworld, tells Reed, Owen and Franklin that the Multiverse they have created sucks so Owen is like "man, lets destroy it and remake it". And Reed is like "no man you can't do this, we worked hard on this one". And then Owen is like "shut up smart boy" and depowers Reed leaving him to be Mister FF only, banishes all of them out of the battle world and creates a Multiverse where Tony and Spider-man are interesting, FF exists, X-Men are X-Men and not idiots who call themselves X-Men, Charles is alive, Doom is a bad guy, Galactus eats planets, Odin is his Pre-Resurrection self, Thor is Thor and not whatever that is, Cap is greatest hero ever and not greatest idiot ever, Carol is again a super hero we love, Wolverine is back (not Old Man Logan) and we get a cool stories.

All New MU can stay an alternate reality so they don't lose a year or two for nothing.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rubear said:

What Marvel needs is 4 things.

1) Good writers.

2) Bendis and Co fired.

3) PC crap gone.

4) Rebirth DC-stile.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormshadow_x said:

Geoff John's

Lol. Has he even wrote for Marvel?

Yes, he wrote Avengers for like 20 issues after Kurt Busiek finished his run.

Awesome points, and I also hope that Thor is written as it should again.

Do you have any preference with the art?

Coipel, Ribic or Romita Jr on the art would be my picks, Jim Cheung as well, but he´s mostly used for events or covers, seriosuly, I think he and Steve McNiven are the best artists in the industry and they should get a lot more work.

@asgardianbrony said:

I agree. its gotten to the point where no amount of good writing can undo the damage already done.

Or maybe Galactus finds out what is wrong with the world, travels outside of the Multiverse to the Battleworld, tells Reed, Owen and Franklin that the Multiverse they have created sucks so Owen is like "man, lets destroy it and remake it". And Reed is like "no man you can't do this, we worked hard on this one". And then Owen is like "shut up smart boy" and depowers Reed leaving him to be Mister FF only, banishes all of them out of the battle world and creates a Multiverse where Tony and Spider-man are interesting, FF exists, X-Men are X-Men and not idiots who call themselves X-Men, Charles is alive, Doom is a bad guy, Galactus eats planets, Odin is his Pre-Resurrection self, Thor is Thor and not whatever that is, Cap is greatest hero ever and not greatest idiot ever, Carol is again a super hero we love, Wolverine is back (not Old Man Logan) and we get a cool stories.

All New MU can stay an alternate reality so they don't lose a year or two for nothing.

I support that.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekinfing: What is "PC crap"? Also support DC Rebirth style idea 200%.

I support that.

And I support Hickman.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@krleavenger: Politcally correct AKA replace every single classic character for a minority or/and a teenager.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekinfing: At least DC fixed New Wally West shit pretty fast.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

erikarlsson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jane Thor has sucked, I just want it to end.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Brian Wood....

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

remender ,hickman and JMS

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11 said:

@thor_parker82: interesting.

His best and most famour arc is called "Red Zone".

i didn't know that truth be told.

i always assumed geoff was a one company guy..not because of bias mind you, but that hes been with DC for like...the early 2000s late 90s ish?

Sorta like...bear with me on the comparison...Bendis being strictly Marvel. I know theres no objective basis of comparison between Geoff as a superior writer but yeah

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7a162f64fe5
    deactivated-5a7a162f64fe5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, just about everything Hickman writes is gold. Remender would be my second choice. Both good writers.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I really want is for Thor to get a power up once becoming worthy again so he's actually somewhat fast (and I mean consistently).

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Thor-Parker

All I really want is for Thor to get a power up once becoming worthy again so he's actually somewhat fast (and I mean consistently).

Speed has never been a real problem, that´s more of a made up argument here on CV, nonexistent in the actual comics, but well, that´s another subject altogether.

Honestly, just about everything Hickman writes is gold. Remender would be my second choice. Both good writers.

Hickman is the god of writing indeed.

@thor_parker82 said:
    @nerevarine_11 said:

@thor_parker82: interesting.

His best and most famour arc is called "Red Zone".

i didn't know that truth be told.

i always assumed geoff was a one company guy..not because of bias mind you, but that hes been with DC for like...the early 2000s late 90s ish?

Sorta like...bear with me on the comparison...Bendis being strictly Marvel. I know theres no objective basis of comparison between Geoff as a superior writer but yeah

Just read his "Red Zone" arc, it´s good, the rest of his run is meh, neither good nor bad, but "Red Zone" was a stand out.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How you feel about Cates writing Thor?

You should make one these for Iron Man or Spider-Man

Too early to tell, but his first issue was good, and I've enjoyed everything else he's written, so I'm confident Thor is in good hands now. Still, I think my picks would be even better :P

Spider-Man is in good hands right now, Spencer has clearly been a fan of the character for a long time and gets who Peter is perfectly. Iron Man on the other hand, that's tricky, I think his personality nowadays is mostly editorial mandate to make him more like RDJ, but I miss the real 616 Iron Man, the best he's ever been was under Matt Fraction, so if I could pick anyone, I'd love if Fraction returned to write Iron Man.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: Do you think Cates could do Stark?

I don't remember Cates ever handling Tony, I can guarantee he'd make a really good plot and story, but I don't know if he'd capture Tony's real personality or just channel RDJ.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Hickman is everyone’s pick for any character or team lol

That's because he is awesome lol, but I didn't pick him just because, I gave reasons, and the way he has handled the character in the past makes me sure he'd do a great Thor run.

@thor_parker82 said:
    @dcandmarvelcomicfan said:

@thor_parker82: Do you think Cates could do Stark?

I don't remember Cates ever handling Tony, I can guarantee he'd make a really good plot and story, but I don't know if he'd capture Tony's real personality or just channel RDJ.

He used Iron man on the fist issue of his new Thor run,.. he told a joke i RDJr does, so.. i'm assuming he would write him like RDJ instead of his old personality. (unfortunately)

No Caption Provided

Oh yeah, that was very RDJ haha.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: Thb if Cates does research of old school IM runs/stories he might write him like how he used to be.

He's wrote character like Silver surfer, venom, and carnage all of which are not in the MCU, and he seams to not write Thor like MCU Thor, so.. maybe he might do him justice if he writes a solo series.

Cates does seem to do his research before writing a book, so it would definitely be interesting to see him tackle Iron Man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.