Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8881 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

DC Black Label - Wonder Woman: Historia

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Super-Wonder
    No Caption Provided

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-black-label-imprint-unveiled-1092933

WONDER WOMAN HISTORIA: THE AMAZONS from Kelly Sue DeConnick (Bitch Planet) and Phil Jimenez (INFINITE CRISIS)

A Homeric epic of the lost history of the Amazons and Queen Hippolyta’s rise to power. Featuring monsters and myths, this three-book saga spans history from the creation of the Amazons to the moment Steve Trevor washes up on the shores of Paradise Island, changing our world forever.

WONDER WOMAN: DIANA’S DAUGHTER (working title) from Greg Rucka (WONDER WOMAN, BATWOMAN)

It's been 20 years since the world stopped looking to the skies for hope, help, and inspiration. Now the world keeps its eyes down, and the powers that have risen have every intention of keeping things that way. Amongst a scattered, broken resistance, a young woman seeks to reclaim what has been forgotten, and on the way will learn the truth about herself, her heritage, and her destiny.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By dshipp17

I'd already started a thread about this about a week ago here: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/wonder-woman/4005-2048/forums/wonder-woman-mature-edition-1933217/#1.

But, looks like pre-origin stuff to start an origin story.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh wow that's awesome news but straight away the name Kelly Sue DeConnick makes me a little bit nervous, also the last "Homeric epic" about the Amazons didn't turn out so good. I'd hate this be the story of the Amazons' struggle against the Patriarchy and all that jazz, I hope it's more nuanced than that. But obviously I'll give it a try, I've wanted an "adult" Wonder Woman story for a bloody long time and that Jimenez cover is beautiful

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
    masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder if this Amazon History is going to be canon. I'll pick it up either way but, I'd love some more Amazon History and if its all the way to when Steve lands on the Island then maybe when can get some clarity on Diana's birth.

Still want Diana to have a son though.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dshipp17

@masterwitcher88 said:

Wonder if this Amazon History is going to be canon. I'll pick it up either way but, I'd love some more Amazon History and if its all the way to when Steve lands on the Island then maybe when can get some clarity on Diana's birth.

Still want Diana to have a son though.

It's listed as not being canon, yet they can't seem to help using that battle skirt again.

Avatar image for deactivated-6264b2a061084
    deactivated-6264b2a061084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty awesome we are getting more Wonder Woman books. Especially with Jimenez on the art and Rucka on the second book. The only bummer is that it looks like none of them are going to be about Diana. Still more books for Wonder Woman are always good. Pretty excited for this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh wow that's awesome news but straight away the name Kelly Sue DeConnick makes me a little bit nervous, also the last "Homeric epic" about the Amazons didn't turn out so good. I'd hate this be the story of the Amazons' struggle against the Patriarchy and all that jazz, I hope it's more nuanced than that. But obviously I'll give it a try, I've wanted an "adult" Wonder Woman story for a bloody long time and that Jimenez cover is beautiful

Why? I haven't read any of her other work so don't know about her writing.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan_60: I never finished anything written by Kelly Sue DeConnick but what I'm basing my opinion on is Bitch Planet which is like an off-planet jail for disobedient women, husbands send their errant wives off to Bitch Planet and then they're forced to partake in a games for the amusement of the "Capitol" people, it's like Orange is the New Black meets Handmaid's Tale meets Hunger Games, it's bad feminist-dystopian fiction, not my cup of tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan_60: I never finished anything written by Kelly Sue DeConnick but what I'm basing my opinion on is Bitch Planet which is like an off-planet jail for disobedient women, husbands send their errant wives off to Bitch Planet and then they're forced to partake in a games for the amusement of the "Capitol" people, it's like Orange is the New Black meets Handmaid's Tale meets Hunger Games, it's bad feminist-dystopian fiction, not my cup of tea

I see. Well hopefully Jimenez will have some creative input on story telling then coz he is a big fan of Wonder Woman. Though I am personally not a big fan of Jimenez's run, you can tell that he really likes Diana and her mythos.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Historia: It's interesting to say the least, but with Kelly Sue attached... I am kinda expecting it to be super pretentious.

Daughter: Kinda sounds like Nightwing: the New Order.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

@comicfan_60: when is this released?

There are no dates out yet. The only one that is tentatively known is superman year one which comes out in August 2018

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

I'd already started a thread about this about a week ago here: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/wonder-woman/4005-2048/forums/wonder-woman-mature-edition-1933217/#1.

My apologies, I did miss that entry. Perhaps the Mods can merge the two threads?

I'm not really sure what to make of this Black Label imprint, and I'm sure that It's all outside of Continuity.I'm more than a little shocked that Rucka is contributing to a Wonder Woman themed title.

This should be interesting.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

My apologies, I did miss that entry. Perhaps the Mods can merge the two threads?

I'm not really sure what to make of this Black Label imprint, and I'm sure that It's all outside of Continuity.I'm more than a little shocked that Rucka is contributing to a Wonder Woman themed title.

This should be interesting.

Understood and sorry about the misunderstanding. And, yes, I'm really puzzled that Rucka of all writers would be interested in contributing to what should be an adult themed Wonder Woman title; key phrase what should be an adult themed title; hopefully we'll be able to tell a difference between this and perhaps restrictions that have to attach to the main title. Interesting that Messner-Loabs never seems to get approached, especially for an adult themed book; and, what is the logic of not having Wonder Woman in these books, if that's the plan? It could still be Wonder Woman present just simply before the arrival of Steve causing her to leave the island.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that in this case, "Adult Theme" refers to the sophistication of the story, relating to more real world scenarios, perhaps explicit language, graphic violence, and mild nudity, in the same way that the show Homeland may be like a Black Label title and Blindspot may be more of the standard all ages fare.

I can't remember the last time I read anything by William Messner-Loebs, is he still in comics?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that in this case, "Adult Theme" refers to the sophistication of the story, relating to more real world scenarios, perhaps explicit language, graphic violence, and mild nudity, in the same way that the show Homeland may be like a Black Label title and Blindspot may be more of the standard all ages fare.

I can't remember the last time I read anything by William Messner-Loebs, is he still in comics?

Yes, he's still in comics last I heard, as of 2012, I believe; he was at one of the smaller comic companies but he did the 90s Wonder Woman in that special where different writers did different decades; I can't remember precisely but I think that it was back around 2012; and, actually, at that point, he had came back into comics; at some point shortly after his Wonder Woman run he came under very hard financial hardship leading to his homelessness; he faced it for the better part of the 2000s I believe.

What you're describing is already the themes in the main title; it should certainly be something harder than you describe; although you may prefer it that way, adult themes are not tempered and it should be complete nudity to put it mildly.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

So I just finished it. Part 1 is phenomenal!! Every page was epic! I cannot wait for the next one in spring!

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Looking forward to reading the second issue!

Batfan345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i heard that the father is batman

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.