Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8882 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Pre review: WONDER WOMAN 1984

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By brettjett

Hey people of the Geek community,

as you know the next WW movie will finally be coming out very soon on HBO or whatever else other than in an actual cinema. Unfortunately me and my family don't have such luxuries and will have to wait for the Pandemic to end and theaters reopening in order for me/us to see it.

But before you guys see the movie, I'd like to leave you with my pre review of this flick, if you haven't read it already. (The website that I used to write for was shut down pre maturely in 2017, right when I was about to hand in my pre review to the editor after hearing about a sequel from Patty Jenkins.)

Its hoped that the pre-review arms you with some critical points in order to critique the movie for authenticity as far as staying true to the mythos and not veering so tangentially like the Bruce Timm WW DVD did.

So far I've enjoyed and 'thumbs up' DC/Warner for their treatment of the WW character on the screen. Portraying Ares is one thing.....Let's see how they stay true to the original Cheetah!

Obviously, when changing the WW story background from symbolic fantasy to a more literal genre, you'd need to make some little changes to things in order to fit that new literal genre/world. Like changing Cheetah's name from Priscilla Rich to Barbara Minerva, or taking away the original cheetah costume and leaving a 'werewolf'-like biological transformation in its place.

But what concerns me (as it should also concern any of you die-hard WW fans) is if they left the original core of the character un-tampered with...which by the way corresponds to any of WW's iconic villains, which is to say that each villain is an allegorical display of the various dysfunctions that come out of an uncontrolled destructive ego. One that stems from misaligned emotions.

In Cheetah's case, her dysfunction involves jealousy, self importance, and being unmindful of humanity and kindness and beauty, while just appetitively going after your ego-inspired goals at all costs.

I've retired form my campaign of putting out new WW articles and reviews, as I've already seen through to my goal of a WW movie up on the screen. But I'd be interested in any of you fans writing your own SPOILER FREE review of this new movie, WW84, and answer the question of whether or not the filmmakers stayed true to the original core theme of WW's confrontation with the villain Cheetah.

Just give me some time to get to obtaining the link to my pre review of WW84......

brettjett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By brettjett

While I/we don't know what the movie's plotline or theme(s) are, after watching the trailer I find it very interesting that Diana narrates "Nothing good comes from lies". Which has echoes to how many C3 & C4 feminists use deception to mess with people and get their way, which is a destructively ugly thing to do! I can imagine Cheetah being a proxy to those feminists, and WW teaching that its not right to do such deceptive things!....Because, as she says, "Nothing good comes from lies".

Then Diana goes on to say "And greatness isn't what you think". To me, that just carries echoes of what's wrong with society....dominance (too much).

Just look at our western culture of always trying to get more, always trying to beat the snot out of the competition, etc. Why do we do it? And we're constantly fed messages of how attaining greatness and status and such is the thing to do.

And that suggests something about Maxwell Lord. I can see WW battling his evil as a Lex Luthor type baddie. Which brings up a VERY VERY interesting question:

Will WW snap his neck!?

Here's my hope: That this story will be about WW doing it right this time, where she figures out a way to stop Max Lord and his evil WITHOUT killing him!

Becuz remember, the original intent of WW was that she reformed the villains, not kill them. Easier said than done. But imagine the emotional excitement of she does manage to keep that original intent!

Patty Jenkins & Geoff Johns promises us that there's lessons to be learned from WW84.

I just sure hope that the message is the correct one, and stays true to the original intent of the WW mythos.

Check out my PreReview once I finally get the link and post it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.