Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13422 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Power Upgrade for Cyclops

• 61 results
    adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@god_spawn:

Funnily enough when I was younger I thought Cyclops was a lame boy scout that had to be constantly overridden by the kewler lone wolf Logan. Back then I thought that the movies got that all right in terms of focus and character treatment. But Decimation era comics had me completely revisit that attitude. With Wolverine becoming omnipresent, insufferable pain in the ass, and Cyclops' journey from field captain to commander-in-chief and mentor all at once that had to take drastic actions no one else would and ensure safety of his people, I realized I really did miss something with the character. Gotta give that to the X-office back then the credit, they made it all work so organic and natural.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#52 god_spawn  Moderator

@adamtrmm: Pretty much the same. I grew with Logan as my favorite and he will always be a favorite. I love the character. But I wasn't much of a Cyclops fan until I got older and I was able to appreciate the change and growth the character had. That's why I loved him with Emma and she's my favorite girl. Just growth and change and done so organically and seeing become into his own character was great. Then revisiting some of the older stuff, it was influential into making the character he is today and just added more depth to him. Which is why stuff like I was saying is just kinda like..."Okaaay"? Adding some more power too him isn't going to him more interesting. I'd say anything too drastic devalues what brought him to the dance in the first place.

So 100% agreed.

AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As @adamtrmm stated I want him to be able to control the navigation of his blasts. In the 2014 100th anniversary special comic series, X-Men is seen in an alternate future timeline. In this reality, Cyclops married Emma Frost and won the presidential campaign becoming the President of the USA. This version not only has control over his optic blasts but also capable of changing its direction, trajectory, range, speed and to make things even better, he can divide them into multiple blasts.

While the visorless president is not something that I preferred, I loved his orbital optic array. This power is a controlled version of his post-AvX arcing blasts. Unlike the already broken force beams which we called the optic blast which he usually fires, the arcing blast in comparison is far broken due to the effects of the Phoenix Force and thus his natural control over the damage, speed, and range of his blast is forever lost. To add insult to the injury, he cannot properly aim his shots as he used to and he also requires recharge intervals.

However, this new blast has some good parts to it as well. Although he lost control over his aim and damage levels, his new powers allowed him to harm powerful beings such as Dormammu and take on multiple sentinels at the same time. Furthermore, his new blasts can split and curve away from the original blasts, thus allowing him to attack nearby opponents as well. Furthermore, these split parts of his blasts would later come back and will join with the original blast enhancing the damage even further.

While the arcing blasts which Bendis introduced is a great concept, it is also a broken one. As such, it was well fitted to his character. However, this new power also created a new problem. It returned Scott back to stage one. He finally lost the game and he has to start all over again. This time, he has to deal with a new setting, a similar story and to make things worse he has to play everything in the hard mode.

Because Scott had already gone through a journey of struggle to have a certain level of control over his powers, he knows what it would take. However, the arcing blasts give him few new troubles. The first problem is, he cannot shoot them like he used to, and sometimes he has to leave everything to his luck. Scott is someone whose life never experience luck in the first place. Everything he obtained in his life came from his own merits out of nothing but a scratch.

He was never been found by Xavier until his age of fifteen. Even though he manifested his powers earlier on, he was still kept hidden from the rest of the world due to Mr. Sinister's efforts to study the boy. He experimented with the boy and slowly broke him mentally. When he was ten years old, he lost both his parents to an alien attack on their plane. After his survival, he went into a comatose and separated from his brother, who was adopted by another family.

Later on, he was constantly bullied along with another boy whom he befriended, and as time passes the boy became his bully. When he was seventeen, his powers returned once again to make things worse, they were broken and uncontrollable. Scott ran away from the orphanage and his first heroic attempt became a major disaster. To make things worse, he was found and adopted by a mutant criminal who wanted to exploit the boy and his powers. Afterward, he has assisted Professor X and FBI agent Fred Duncan in stopping his adoptive father and it was this action that led to him becoming the first X Man.

To summarise his biography, his life never had any luck with it at all. At the hands of someone like him, a power like the arcing blast is equivalent to nothing but disaster. Although he managed to lead the X Men into many victories, made friends, found love, had family, and later married the love of his life, none of them lasted at all. He transformed himself from a tortured nobody living as a victim of bullying in an evil mastermind's orphanage to one of the revered and feared leaders in the history of the marvel universe.

With all that said, the arcing blast is not a suitable power up for him and after his eventual demise and resurrection, he had forever lost this ability. However, there are other ways that he could've gotten new powers. Since Alex knew where Scott's real body was buried into, his warped evil self could've given it to Miss Sinister whom he was working with at that time.

She could've used the Mothervine drug from the alternate universe with Havok's permission in hopes of turning it into a cure for Terrigen affected mutants. Or, there is the part of the entity known as the Void, the Dark Sentry, which was sealed inside his mental black box and it could've also enhanced him or corrupted him in ways that were never been explored. However, the Phoenix-based resurrection which the younger cable achieved had burned all the possibilities.

The Phoenix returned Cyclops purging the nanites which Dark Beast injected within Magneto, Emma Frost and Cyclops himself. To make things difficult, we may not know if Scott's corpse was injected with the Mothervine virus, and it could've also been purged as well. Also, since Sentry had merged with the Void for good, we may not know what happened to that small piece of the dark entity inside his mind.

As a matter of fact, all hopes of him getting a new power upgrade is forever lost. While the subject of concepts such as Secondary Mutation is still available and granting us new opportunities, his blasts are never going to change. If they got broken even further, they would transform into his former, more devastating arcing blasts and if he somehow takes control over them, they would become the orbital optic array which his counterpart uses.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn:

Spot on. I also like how his power translates to what person he had to become. Possessing the ability to level a mountain with an unchecked stare required the man to become a control freak, rightfully so. Guy has to be prepared for every possible outcome otherwise a literal disaster will happen. And we witnessed how that mindset become his driving philosophy and that works perfectly. He probably wasn't conceptualized as that but the fact that it all culminated in that shows how good comic books can be. Sadly, it's rarely so. I agree on Emma being one of the most interesting X-gals too, once again, Decimation era showed that much. I didn't really like Morrison's "insecure plastic bimbo hiding behind snarks and wits" take, but K/Y and Carey wrote her really well without all the excessiveness.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#55 god_spawn  Moderator
    AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

After his merge with the Apocalypse, Cyclops displayed his hands charged just like his eyes. However, he could control these blasts. This short-lived amalgamation and it later being referenced, even in Bendis Era X-Men proved that something can be done about it. As shown in the left portrait, Scott was not only in control over his own powers, but also he redirected them to his hands as well. This change can be the result of the wiring in his body similar to Apocalypse himself where the wires exist as the tubes in which his power travels through.

Once the merger is undone, Cyclops returned to normal. This normal life, however, has a cost. The merger had left him with self-doubt that made him question everything and anything about himself, his world, and most of all his life and relationships with his family, friends, teammates, students, mentor, enemies, etc. While he kept his taciturn personality, he developed a dry sense of humor with a violent and overall insecure and authoritarian attitude. Furthermore, rather than restraining himself and keeping his emotions bottled up like always, he sometimes let it go. He almost killed a defeated Magneto at the end of Eve of Destruction storyline and Wolverine had to step in and do the deed himself.

To make things worse, he openly supported Wolverine's decision on the public execution of Magneto when everyone including his wife and mentor is against it. After the death of Sophie Cuckoo, one of Emma's five cloned daughters, he confronted a grieving Emma Frost directly and when she tried getting into his head, he let her without any restraints. Furthermore, he never resisted her advances nor the fact they are having a psychic affair behind Jean's back. After Jean finds out about this he immediately left the building, going to a night club and later went on a Weapon X related mission with Wolverine himself.

All in all, Scott slowly became a changed person. His psychic damage had made him brash, violent, impulsive, outspoken and most of all his new leadership and fighting style are developed with a radical and ruthless approach. So, how does all of this connects to him having new sets of powers?

As I stated earlier, Scott became a changed man after his merge with the Apocalypse. What if there are some physical and mental changes that we may not know. For this, we have to look outside the mainstream continuity into two different animated universes, X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men.

In the final episode of X-Men Evolution, Professor Charles "wheels" Xavier took a slight peek into Apocalypse's head and had a vision from the future. In this future, he saw Magneto joining the School, Jean Grey Becoming the Phoenix, Laura, and Colossus join the X-Men, Rouge flying on her own power, the members of the Brotherhood become the mutant Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and finally a world where mutants are hated and hunted more than anything else.

In this scene, Professor slightly took a glimpse into the future through Apocalypse's eyes and narrated it as part of the series' ending and Scott was fused with him for nearly a year. In this time, Apocalypse would do anything to corrupt the already troubled mind of Scott Summers by any and all means necessary. And the best way to do it is to erase Scott's mind and replace it with his own memories.

However, Scott is no ordinary guy and even Emma herself had confirmed that his psychic defenses are fully thorough and he even has dreams within his dreams. So, to break a person like him there is only one choice and that is to show him the future. And the old mutant cannot do it with ordinary futures, but with the darkest of them all to prove how hypocritic their dreams and ideals are.

Before all of these, you must know that Apocalypse is no ordinary mutant. He lived for over many millenniums and empowered by celestial technology and powers. Also, he himself believes that it is his destiny to be the Shepherd for his kind and their rise to power and prominence is inevitable.

In this situation, there are two different mutants. One who is experienced, hardened and got bitter with life and the other is still a fresh idealist who is having self-doubts and about to enter a life of greater conflicts, pain, and suffering. Now Scott begins to see the past and the future and probably different kinds of future from the mind of the Apocalypse.

Scott realizes that no matter what they do, they will fail. However, Scott also sees a better world where certain things must happen and it was exactly what Apocalypse was trying to do. Before all of these, Scott came to the realization that Mr. Sinister, aka Dr. Nathaniel Essex, the man who separated him from his brother and tormented and experimented with him at the orphanage was none other than the pawn of Apocalypse himself.

As such, Scott slowly begins to break down and his hope came to him in the form of his wife and son. They were somehow able to split the mutant from the fossil and brought him back home. However, neither of them realizes that a part of Apocalypse is now part of Cyclops himself. While Scott now retains his body, memories, and identity, a part of Apocalypse's own memories, psyche and identity lives within him. Including these were also different futures and their own causes as well.

However, due to his natural habit of repressing everything, he also repressed and ignored these futures and memories for a time. After his fight regarding the affair with Jean and later her own demise, Scots starts up a relationship with Emma. Emma understands Scott's turmoil in a way Jean never could. She speculates Scott's lack of control over his powers may be due to a psychological trauma rather than a physical one.

Thus, for the first time in life, he lets someone passes through his defense. With his fears overcame, I believe, he also saw something else as well. The different futures as well as Apocalypse's own past. He saw Apocalypse made himself into a self-proclaimed savior of this world and a Shepherd for the mutants. With all these different timelines experienced, Scott took it upon himself to be the Shepherd that Apocalypse never was and thus becoming the dark messiah.

My thesis on future events after the Josh Whedon era X-Men is that Scott's may have developed a new ability, future dreams, and subconscious clairvoyance. During the time he ruled Utopia, his instincts are natural to the point of being enhanced and no matter what kind of situation he was in, he displayed a kind of confidence and arrogance that even Magneto is amazed by. He had proven himself that no matter how bad his loss on battles is, he always wins the war.

He managed to defeat Dark Avengers, Skrulls, Vampires, Hellfire Club, Sinister, a Serpent powered Juggernaut, and even managed to save the world from being destroyed by the Celestials. To add more merits to his achievements, he was able to suppress the Void, a dark entity, and the supposed archenemy of the Sentry that nearly destroyed everything inside the same mental black box where he kept his secrets and probably the small piece of Apocalypse's consciousness.

While, these cannot be considered an impossible feat due to Cyclops' knowledge, skills, talents, wits, experience, and wisdom; he cannot have complete success and this is because luck had never been on his side. Although he always gets what is considered as true happiness, it never lasted in his life. Furthermore, he is never the type to lose one battle or sacrifice his comrades to win the war.

The only reason he was able to do it is that he had seen the different futures through the eyes of the Apocalypse. Thus his foresight, armed with the knowledge of different futures allowed him to work in a way that protects his kind. It is also, why after his eventual death from M-Pox, the X-Men drastically fell and got disoriented.

He saw mutants, growing and separating into different factions, abusing their powers, and forces humanity into taking drastic decisions. He saw certain villains winning and how their actions would be the result of a dystopian society. More than that, he saw a world where mutants and humans always at war with each other and tries to kill each other.

However, he never saw two things in this future. First, he never saw the decimation coming and two the existence of Hope Summers. Just like his own son Nathan, Hope is a wild card, and more than that she has the power to protect everyone. Therefore, he saw Hope as a way to restore the mutants. He put his goal of making the mutants look like heroes who can save and protect the world by the means at hand and showing the world that they are capable of coexistence aside and adopted a ruthless philosophy to protect and preserve his kind by any means necessary.

My theory on his actions and resolve is that after he overcame his childhood traumas and let go of his pain and turmoil, he slowly begins to see the future through the dreams. In one of Emma's conversations with Scott, she tells him that she saw dreams within his dreams, and even when he is asleep, she was unable to break into his subconscious part of his mind.

My belief in this matter is that Scott developed this rather unique defense system to avoid others from knowing what he had seen and learned from the Apocalypse. As such, no one would learn or make mistakes that would cause any damages in the future and that he can use his dreams to safely navigate the mutants to an era with fewer casualties.

As for the second power

JeannieH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

SOD OFF Summers!!

Avatar image for theinsufferable
    TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: he alsready has two great powers: eye-beams and his brain

not to mention being incredibly handsome

No Caption Provided

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give him some more hand to hand combat training. He's already dangerous as hell

Avatar image for lightyagamigod2
    lightyagamigod2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be really cool if Cyclops was able to utilize the solar energy that his body naturally absorbs for the purpose of augmenting his stats(strength and durability).

This concept was perfectly explored upon by his Ultimate comic book counterpart(after taking the Banshee drug)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.