Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13422 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Ranking telepathic resistance/defenses in the X-verse

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
    deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

just to clarify, we are not ranking the defenses of telepaths. We are ranking the telepathic defenses/resistance of non-telepaths.

We could try to list them by best TP resistance going downward, or perhaps in a lower tier, mid tier and high tier way

@koays

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God Tier

Dr. Strange

Juggernaut

AvX Thor

PIS Ironman

High Tier-

1. Apocalypse- Even dying Psylocke couldnt get in his head. Late 90s Jean needed help to get into his mind and Cable is useless against him.

2. Magneto- I can really only think of 1 time classic Mags with the helmet has been TPd

3. Storm- (Maybe) Her resistance has almost never worked against anyone but Shadow King and people not known for TP. Everybody else curbs her...especially lately.

4. Dark Archangel- He blocked a thing

Mid tier

1. Sabretooth- repeatedly no sells telepaths. No one can really read his mind because "grrr"

2. Daken....something something pheromones

3. Wolverine- I guess....i mean kinda. Hes also kinda trash.

4. Cyclops- Hes sensed Emma and Xavier in his head and blocked his thoughts from Emma and Jean.

Low tier

Polaris- fought off malice.

Gambit- havent seen it in a while

Kitty- Fought back against Emma and Xavier for a while.

WaitOmegaStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WaitOmegaStorm

@koays: Storm's resistance worked against Emma (aside from that massive PIS on IvX and Death of X).

but the rest I agree.

and besides, supposedly Emma and Storm will fight again in Marauders, it will be a good opportunity to see if X-Office will completely ignore storm's mental defenses from now on.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: AVX Thor was put to sleep by Xavier like fodder. The Emma feat was an outlier and can be chalked up to Emma not being used to godly minds. It’s not that she didn’t have to power to do so; she could easily read every mind on the planet and she is in the top 5 most skilled telepaths on earth.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm has been affected by nearly everyone that tried to use TP on her recently

A fodder alien, and Emma (In IVX when Cyclops died) both TPed Storm with minimal difficulty. Her TP resistance as of late has been extremely lackluster and almost nonexistent

WaitOmegaStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emmafrostxmen: Storm may have been caught by some fodders with TP, but it's worth remembering that Emma couldn't even silence sabretooth on her own or break the mental defenses of 3 older ladies recently, Emma shouldn't affect a Storm with well-written mental defenses.

CaptFalcon725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays isn't ol' En Sabah Nur a telepath? Sure he's more known for manipulating tech and energy projection, but I could have sworn he was a telepath. I'd put Gabe Summers at the cusp between God/High Tier. He is not a natural telepath but rather, like everything else, hijacks energies to do telepathic things. Rachel Grey had a particularly tough time with him.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If we completely exclude telepaths, and take into account things like passive resistances, active resistances, gear, and consistency:

1) Juggernaut (his helmet has been breached a few times but overall, he's at the top)

2) Magneto (his current version isn't as good but he is basically immune with his helmet)

3) Magik (not as consistent but still very powerful, especially as Darkchylde and/or in Limbo)

4) Fantomex (the telepathic dampeners in his mask have blocked out Jean & Xavier, and he can switch brains to further deter telepaths)

5) Storm (very inconsistent and especially unimpressive as of late; her willpower is her best strength; she is only really good at resisting mind control)

6) Gambit (inconsistent but has blocked out Psylocke and Xavier, among others)

7) Mystique (has blocked out Xavier)

8) Wolverine (very inconsistent but average defences)

9) Sabretooth (same as Wolverine)

10) Kitty (virtually immune while phased, but not impressive otherwise)

11) Cyclops (strong willpower and has blocked out Emma & Jean)

12) Nightcrawler (strong willpower)

Basically, most of these placements can be moved around since no one is really consistent.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays isn't ol' En Sabah Nur a telepath? Sure he's more known for manipulating tech and energy projection, but I could have sworn he was a telepath. I'd put Gabe Summers at the cusp between God/High Tier. He is not a natural telepath but rather, like everything else, hijacks energies to do telepathic things. Rachel Grey had a particularly tough time with him.

Eh Vulcan was amped when that happened. Nothing like that has been shown since as far as TP resistance...especially once Rachel seperated him from Darwin and the M-Day energy.

Apocalypse had like ZERO telepathic feats until recently...so I'd argue that most of his feats stand, but it's up to how you view it personally I guess. It's hard to say but i've seen him ranked among high level Telepaths.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's inconsistent and really depends on the writer and the story they're telling. For instance, gambit has been shown on multiple occasions to use the static in his body to block out psychic attacks, but, he has also been mind controlled on more than one occasion.....how that works, I have no idea.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: With Gambit i kinda feel like it's rule of cool....he started getting mindcontrolled as soon as he stopped being a super cool 90's TAS, Marvel vs Capcom fighter, with cool one liners.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@cattlebattle: With Gambit i kinda feel like it's rule of cool....he started getting mindcontrolled as soon as he stopped being a super cool 90's TAS, Marvel vs Capcom fighter, with cool one liners.

He was mind controlled in both X-Men (2nd series) books 1 and 8 or so, like a year after he debuted and avoided being mind controlled, lol.

It's inconsistent with most characters.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apocalypse is damn near immune.

Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Son Of Storm

I feel like most people don't seem to understand Storm's telepathic resistance. The people being listed here for the most part always have their telepathic resistance running as a mental passive or with equipment. The same doesn't hold true with Storm. If she's unprepared she'll be effected by it just as anyone else. However once she's aware she's being telepathically assaulted all bets are off and when written properly proceeds to break out of the assault.

I'd also like to point out that even during more recent comics her telepathic resistance is still taken into account. For example in Black Panther #17 she was rendered unconscious by an explosive telepathic assault but once she was awakened by BP she keeps said telepathic attack at bay while BP and his people use their own tech shields. She comments how she was trained by the worlds most powerful telepath which would obviously be Xavier. Add that with her ability to scramble telepathic energy and once Storm is aware of the threat is should be near impossible for a telepath to get in her head. None of this is really new news. And again in X-Men: Red when Nova didn't even try to mind control Storm and resorted to nanites (which also shouldn't have worked but different discussion for a different topic) while she easily took control over Rachel from the other side of the planet.

One example I see here is Emma from IvX and her projection of Scott. I ask the question which part of this would have warranted Storm to throw up her mental defenses? Nothing EmmaScott did would have caused Storm to think that she was under telepathic assault. However that's not to say that she can't break out of illusions as she was quick to sniff out her mind was under attack during Faithful John's assault in WaTX.

As for the thread I really don't care where folks would rank Storm as that's their business. I'm just here to clear up a few things.

Avatar image for lazarus4tempest
    lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@koays: AVX Thor was put to sleep by Xavier like fodder. The Emma feat was an outlier and can be chalked up to Emma not being used to godly minds. It’s not that she didn’t have to power to do so; she could easily read every mind on the planet and she is in the top 5 most skilled telepaths on earth.

PIS ...do you know Thors' Telepathic resistant feats?

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EmmaFrostXmen

@lazarus4tempest: yes and they’re not good enough to resist one of the most powerful telepaths in the world amped by the Phoenix

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waitomegastorm: Emma's kinda gotten around Storm alot more then you think.

I keep pointing to X-treme X-Men where Emma mapped Storms pathways.

I'm sure it's not intentional, but it would explain why Storm hasnt resisted since then.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

telepathic resistance only works when writers refuse to consider the fact that in a battle, telepaths won't try to control their enemies but rather throw psi bolts at them.

yuuki157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anything change ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.