Follow

M

Character » M appears in 1743 issues.

Monet St. Croix, also known as 'M', was originally a founding member of Generation X, later involved with various X-Men related teams.

M is for Muslim

• 58 results
    Avatar image for thestepfordcuckoos
    thestepfordcuckoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!  SPOILER ALERT!

Monet and Guido are Muslim. No, but Monet is.
    No Caption Provided

Monet who holds a passports to Bosnia, Algeria, and France all which have a mass Islamic populous but it did any one ever think that are little Monet is would be Muslim. I didn't think about it until today when I saw a comment in the Weekly Crisis, who, posted about these and commented one the fact that M (Monet) identifies herself as a Muslim, but that her manner of dressing doesn't make her a very "unconvincing" one.

Muslims, like Christians, come in many shapes, sizes, and colors. The people of each faith believe that the most 'faithful' could dress conservatively and that they shouldn't drink alcohol, but today many do not believe it a necessary to conform to - or even recognize - these practices. If M, and real people like her, identify as Muslims or of the Islamic faith, no one can deny them that.
    And for everyone that finds M unconvincing because she wears tight clothes, shows off her cleavage, swears, and drinks, then by all means, go to somewhere else like Turkey, or try talking to some real Muslims here in the US. They don't all adhere to sharia law, and they don't all view it as their mandate to supervise what women do with their bodies.

I for one applaud X-Factor team, especially Peter David, for addressing her heritage as well as her faith in such an upfront manner. And for giving another side of Muslim woman in the comics not only because Monet is one of my favorite characters but because it Monet's faith allows for comparison not only between her and Sooraya Qadir ( Dust) another female Muslim in the X-men comics but it drawn between the real-life anti-Muslim sentiment that has been up roaring in the past new years and even more in the last month or two and the anti-Mutant sentiment in the comic books.

What do you does think about these new reveal? Do you like her more or less? Do you like that these a big difference between Monet and Sooraya? Or Do even think that Monet was randomly chosen because of her background and personally and maybe it reveal should have been for maybe Ororo Munroe (Storm), or Idie Okonkwo or some else? Any questions? 
    MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MethodMan008

Don't like her any more or any less...  

Don't care what religion people are in real life, goes the same for comics.
    Avatar image for thestepfordcuckoos
    thestepfordcuckoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MethodMan008:
    Me too, but it still should make a difference as it brings a new light to the comics and marvelous character.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

I know lots of modern Muslims.  Many of them swear.  A couple of the guys even have tattoos.  Some of the girls choose to wear the hijab to cover their hair at most (although I've seen women around the city wearing the full head-to-toe coverings).  One girl was even pregnant outside of marriage, which she tried to deny for 6 months until it looked like she'd swallowed a bowling ball...

Absolutely NONE of the girls would pose naked for a photo shoot.

I love Monet.  I love the way that PAD writes her.  I love the fact he's looked at her background and reasonably deduced that she should be a Muslim... 

But a Muslim who poses naked, shows her goods at any passing super hero/villain who flies over the building while she's sunbathing naked, and flashes her fullsome funbags when in her super hero costume?  It's not jsut 'highly unlikely'.  It just wouldn't happen.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

M is for Muslim.  Who woulda thunk?
    Joesoef95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Joesoef95

I live in the most populous Muslim nation and to be honest, I don't think M's behaviour is that unlikely for a Muslim,compared to the girls in my country at least. I'm not sure about Muslims in Monaco.

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "

but a Muslim who poses naked, shows her goods at any passing super hero/villain who flies over the building while she's sunbathing naked, and flashes her fullsome funbags when in her super hero costume?  It's not jsut 'highly unlikely'.  It just wouldn't happen.

"
    Completely agree, it is just a bad character dynamic that should be retracted :/ 
    Ahmed Sherif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Ahmed Sherif

I can't believe this! Yes, there are Muslims that swear (including me), but that dosent mean its ok to show up naked every time, or have sex before marriage.
    Meesho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Meesho

As a Muslim girl , I think it is exaggerated to be M a Muslim. But this does not mean that it is impossible to find Muslim girls do as they M do, but they are very few. Something else, Islam is a religion like any other heavenly religion, if you do good you would be rewarded if you misdeed you would be guilt.
    In contrast, we can say that Sooray (Dust) an ideal example of the Muslim girl . This is my opinion :).
    Btw, I agree with xerox-kitty ^_^

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

reminds me of this 

Yes Yes I did. 
    Yes Yes I did. 
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By joshmightbe
    @xerox-kitty: Plenty of christians cuss, pose naked and have sex before marriage and their religion says they're not supposed to but I don't hear anyone complaining when they do it 
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrinceIMC

How often has Monet gone naked? Not very often, I think that is a bit out of character for Monet not because she's Muslim but just based on her personality for ages. Back in the days of Generation X she often had things to say about Emma Frost's way of dressing and that was back when Emma was even dressing a bit more conservatively than she did now. In X-Factor she's been portrayed a bit more like a Paris Hilton heiress type, which I don't particularly like. I do overall like Monet's characterization in X-Factor except when these things come up. So I think if you take the naked modeling as out of character the rest of it does though work for a Muslim character.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#13  Edited By Outside_85

Think most people are surprised that Monet is a muslim...Emma Frost is one of the new in Marvel that shows off more flesh than her.

Joesoef95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Joesoef95
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @xerox-kitty: Plenty of christians cuss, pose naked and have sex before marriage and their religion says they're not supposed to but I don't hear anyone complaining when they do it  "
    QFT
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshmightbe

Just because shes a muslim doesn't necessarily mean shes a good one, pretty much all religions have people who claim the faith but break the rules, there are Buddhists eat meat, christians and jews who break commandments daily, Mormons who drink coffee, etc.etc.etc. Hell I even know atheists that go to church every sunday

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @joshmightbe said:

" @xerox-kitty: Plenty of christians cuss, pose naked and have sex before marriage and their religion says they're not supposed to but I don't hear anyone complaining when they do it  "

As I said before, I know a Muslim girl who denied that she was pregnant until her belly was bigger & rounder than a bowling ball.  Clearly I already acknowledged that modern day Muslims who live in Western countries have sex before marriage.  But when they do they are ashamed of it & don't broadcast the fact.  

I know plenty of Muslims who swear too.  I even know a couple of Muslim guys who have a tattoo, and when they showed them to me they always added "even though I'm not supposed to & my mom doesn't know anything about it".  Catholics can go to 'confession' to admit their sins, whereas other denominations of Christianity don't even force their followers to go through that.  I've never once heard of a Christian having to apologise to god for body art.  

But my original point (which you seem to have missed) wasn't about sex before marriage.  My point was that for all the liberties that my Muslim friends have in a Western country, absolutely NONE of them would ever pose naked for a photo shoot.  It just isn't done.  That isn't even touching on the fact that Monet never prays.

Guido was well within his rights to think she was making some kind of "I'm Spartacus" type stand.  Monet has never demonstrated her love for her religion.  Yes, it makes sense that considering her geographical roots that she would be Muslim.  However, she doesn't act like one.  Religion in comics shouldn't be an off-hand comment.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Osiris1428
    @joshmightbe said:
    Pretty much.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Osiris1428
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @joshmightbe said:

" Religion in comics shouldn't be an off-hand comment."
    "
    But it is in real life EVERY DAY. I know plenty of people who don't give a crap about the religion they were raised or born into until someone attacks it.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Osiris1428 said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    " @joshmightbe said:

" Religion in comics shouldn't be an off-hand comment."
    "
    But it is in real life EVERY DAY. I know plenty of people who don't give a crap about the religion they were raised or born into until someone attacks it. "
    So?  I didn't say that there aren't a lot of fair-weathered people.  There are just as many (if not more) people who do care about religion and as part of their daily routine they regularly go to pray.  If M wants to get angry because someone insulted Muslims, that's fine... But for someone who has made a façade out of being better than everyone else, then she should make an effort to practise what she preaches once in a while.
    Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @PowerHerc:
    H is for Hercules!
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @joshmightbe said:
     I even know atheists that go to church every sunday "

That made me LMAO!, wtf are they even athiest for then?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Theworldbreaker: I had the same question 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Theworldbreaker: @joshmightbe: 

Its not that odd. Family, society, a loved one, community, boredom. Its like everything. I know some people who don't like sport that watch sports games. Especially if sports games are the only alternatives to a chick flick. Its not as if everyone who goes to church actually lives there life in the same way that their going to church might entail. I don't know, humans are fairly simple to figure out. Everything they do, even if it might sound like it doesn't make sense, is pretty easy to figure out really.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24  Edited By SC  Moderator

I don't mind. I don't think its like a full full reveal, more like Monet being Monet. If this was another character, this might be a bigger deal, It depends how one projects and interprets the scene, moment, as to what this might mean for the character henceforth. Personally I don't think it will mean too much beyond the superficial. Anyway, usually I don't like to quote people, as in quoting them just to show I agree and support what they wrote, but this thread can be the exception lol

@Meesho said:
    " As a Muslim girl , I think it is exaggerated to be M a Muslim. But this does not mean that it is impossible to find Muslim girls do as they M do, but they are very few. Something else, Islam is a religion like any other heavenly religion, if you do good you would be rewarded if you misdeed you would be guilt. In contrast, we can say that Sooray (Dust) an ideal example of the Muslim girl . This is my opinion :). Btw, I agree with xerox-kitty ^_^ "

This.  and 

@xerox-kitty said:
    "As I said before, I know a Muslim girl who denied that she was pregnant until her belly was bigger & rounder than a bowling ball.  Clearly I already acknowledged that modern day Muslims who live in Western countries have sex before marriage.  But when they do they are ashamed of it & don't broadcast the fact.  

I know plenty of Muslims who swear too.  I even know a couple of Muslim guys who have a tattoo, and when they showed them to me they always added "even though I'm not supposed to & my mom doesn't know anything about it".  Catholics can go to 'confession' to admit their sins, whereas other denominations of Christianity don't even force their followers to go through that.  I've never once heard of a Christian having to apologise to god for body art.  

But my original point (which you seem to have missed) wasn't about sex before marriage.  My point was that for all the liberties that my Muslim friends have in a Western country, absolutely NONE of them would ever pose naked for a photo shoot.  It just isn't done.  That isn't even touching on the fact that Monet never prays.

Guido was well within his rights to think she was making some kind of "I'm Spartacus" type stand.  Monet has never demonstrated her love for her religion.  Yes, it makes sense that considering her geographical roots that she would be Muslim.  However, she doesn't act like one.  Religion in comics shouldn't be an off-hand comment."

This.
    Meesho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meesho
    @xerox-kitty said:

"absolutely NONE of them would ever pose naked for a photo shoot."

Totally RIGHT. For me, I'm wearing hijab, but I know some girls do not and actually some wear bikini!!. But they will never accept the idea of posing naked for photoshoot, and if one wants to, she would hesitate and asking herself million questions before to do so.

@xerox-kitty

said:

"That isn't even touching on the fact that Monet never prays."

This is a MUST. and the most important pillar in Islam.

@xerox-kitty

said:

"Religion in comics shouldn't be an off-hand comment."

Hmm, I got 2 meanings .. do you mean that comics shouldn't bring that? or 'we' who shouldn't talk about it?
    lol, still learning :*)

@Theworldbreaker

said:

" @joshmightbe said:

I even know atheists that go to church every sunday "

That made me LMAO!, wtf are they even athiest for then?"

lol, me too! and I'm wondering!. I read what SC wrote. I agree about society and family point *nods*.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Osiris1428

My point is that it isn't completely unbelievable that she would be that off-handed with it. People like that exist in the world. But could she grow from that-sure.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jubilee042

i like her even more now because we can compare her with dust to show two types of muslims

Ahmed Sherif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ahmed Sherif

The thing is why did she suddenly say she was a Muslim?

notageek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By notageek

i've seen many monet-like muslims

kai1309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kai1309

Not a surprise, nowadays everyone is breaking apart expactations

kingoftheworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By kingoftheworld

Besides the X-Factor issue has anyone read her proclaming to be Muslim in any other comics?
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By jordama
    @kingoftheworld: No but it makes a good point about where her family comes from. Her father may be christian and that is why it hasn't come up yet.

Plus this was planned for a while, I remember an interview that said she was going to be revealed to be a Muslim.
    Ahmed Sherif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ahmed Sherif

I guess that means Emplate and the M twins are muslims too.
    kingoftheworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By kingoftheworld
    @jordama:
    Not that im complaining i love M but except for Peter David, Marvel doesnt take care of her. Her skin color used to change every issue and her parents were WHITE in their first appearance. Im hoping that this lasts longer than PAD because i honestly love them both.
    Avatar image for killer_of_trolls
    Killer_of_trolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Killer_of_trolls

as a muslim I am highly offended by  this.....  lol  NOT

but seriously at least make her an Arab, but a muslim makes no since at all, the writer is retarded. what next Thor admitting he is chinese or captin america a french woman.

@kingoftheworld: it's called tanning, you obviously never did it.  JK

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By pixelized
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "Guido was well within his rights to think she was making some kind of "I'm Spartacus" type stand.  Monet has never demonstrated her love for her religion.  Yes, it makes sense that considering her geographical roots that she would be Muslim.  However, she doesn't act like one.  Religion in comics shouldn't be an off-hand comment. "
    +1

I don't like her less as, lets face it, she's already been every race there is, but it just doesn't feel organic. As XK mentioned earlier, she never prays. Given her line of work and how her brother killed their mother, her sisters were prisoners of sorts, and  her first lover was murdered, you'd think the relationship between her and her god would be tangible; yet Guido (the person she's connected with the most) has no clue. So I'm left to look to just shrug it off as nothing.
    Mr. Mercury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mr. Mercury

Whoa! interesting character, I don't even pay attention to her in X Factor lol

How could I do that!? Wow...
    BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BattleHeiz

Don't care
    Still like her and it's her right to do whatever she wants so i don't really care if she walks around naked the only thing that bothers me is that marvel writers may get in lot of trouble for this XD

Ebbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ebbm

I think there are two ways of looking at this. Islam from a religious perspective and from a cultural one. Monet may not believe in any of the religious stuff but being a Muslim she still would have grown with an Islamic that would still connect her to the religion and make her take offense to Islamophobia and identify as Muslim.

mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By mark5

This is...interesting.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By The Devil Tiger
    @xerox-kitty

Huh... 

First, I would say that comics and religion is an odd mix. Not necessarily a bad one, but a delicate thing to introduce in comics properly and gracefully. 

Second, I will say that I KNOW some muslim or middle easterner that would claim themselve muslim and making naked bathsun, odly enough, these kind of people, you wll never find them in europa or america, why ? 
    Because many muslim or arabic people living there are repressing themselve, because their arabic identity and religions are bounded by their attitude. Racism and ignorance have taken their toll and now, many of them are expected by their community to take an affirmative action of their identity, or being looked down by their family and community.

Among those people, family pressure is very tight and when they go back in their homeland (In which they often have never truly lived.) they sometimes got the traitor look from the people that actually lived there.

But now, go on Casablanca, and you will find muslim doing topless sunbathing, living in a style that other, even us, westerner would find"decadent",  but these people try often to emulate the lifestyle they think their brethren live in europa or america. (Mostly, they are rich people, I will admit it.)

Now, for the rest, it's only about value, I will personnally never calling out someone who claim himself christian or muslim and has pose nude. (Hell ! If she's good looking, I wil even encourage her ! XD) 

And sometimes, you can be surprisingly quiet about religion, I knew a muslim girl, who actually surprised me when she prayed before breaking her feasting. I will end this by saying that many thing are mere recommandation in the Q'ran, a part by the five pillar, obviously.  

But I will admit this move is, well... awkward.
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Adnan

I haven't read this myself, I don't understand the relevance of her being muslim in that image?

It's nice to see more Muslims characters in comics. I wasn't a fan of the stereotypically-orthodox slant with Dust (even though she grew on me as a character after a while) so this is kinda nice.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By fodigg

Well, she didn't claim to be a very good Muslim. She could think of herself that way as a part of her heritage even if she's not very active in practice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@Theworldbreaker: Nope, H is for time to die.
    Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Lifeguard85

She never said she was a practicing Muslim. Judging from her background, I doubt her parents worked above and beyond to build religious morals in any of their children. Its been stated before that the kids simply got whatever they wanted and their parents (even though their mother was killed early on) didn't seem to ever be in the picture except to make executive decisions and give them money, so one could argue she was never taught how to be a practicing Muslim.

To me, this is a case of, "I don't care about this aspect of my life/upbringing/heritage until someone slanders it". And given her arrogant and hot tempered personality, its not surprising that she would bring it up just to continue or add to an argument.

So with that in mind, to me it makes sense, given her upbringing and where she grew up. I feel someone like Paris Hilton would get the same reaction if she brought up the fact that she is Christian just to say it in a debate lol

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PowerHerc

@Theworldbreaker said:

@PowerHerc: H is for Hercules!

Damn straight it is!

Fluke-buddha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fluke-buddha

m'eh, doesnt really matter.   She's not a hardcore Muslim judging by her actions, so this is more a piece of interesting trivia than actual character development.  I'll bet it's years before this is ever mentioned again, if ever.

Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @PowerHerc said:

@Theworldbreaker said:

Damn straight it is!

Better than M for muslime..!
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PowerHerc

@Theworldbreaker said:

@PowerHerc said:

@Theworldbreaker said:

Damn straight it is!

Better than M for muslime..!

Hell yeah it is!

True words, my friend, true words.

vprvnmsrt10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vprvnmsrt10

@xerox_kitty said:

@Osiris1428 said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    " @joshmightbe said:

" @xerox-kitty: Plenty of christians cuss, pose naked and have sex before marriage and their religion says they're not supposed to but I don't hear anyone complaining when they do it "

" Religion in comics shouldn't be an off-hand comment." "
    But it is in real life EVERY DAY. I know plenty of people who don't give a crap about the religion they were raised or born into until someone attacks it. "
    So? I didn't say that there aren't a lot of fair-weathered people. There are just as many (if not more) people who do care about religion and as part of their daily routine they regularly go to pray. If M wants to get angry because someone insulted Muslims, that's fine... But for someone who has made a façade out of being better than everyone else, then she should make an effort to practise what she preaches once in a while.

WOW. I didn't know that. I am muslim as well, things are way too modern nowadays. I know of girls that have posed for a naked photo-shoots. So it isn't unheard of, just probably covered up in some way. Plus anyone who reads the news often enough has probably heard of Sila Sahin (muslim model) posing for Playboy.

Her family were quite upset and she also received death threats.

Personally I practice as much as I can. I don't pray 5 times a day, but I do try to pray at least twice. I definitely dont drink (not anymore), and I don't have tattoo's (even though I would probably be covered in them if I could get 1).

I am no different to anyone else. Religion is something that is always gonna move with the times. You just have to look at Muslim fashion to see that. Nowadays you can get Calvin Klein branded scarves for ladies (probably fake). If M dresses this way, it should be her choice. Besides you pay for your own sins, not for anyones elses. LOL.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.