Follow

Rogue

Character » Rogue appears in 6669 issues.

The adopted daughter of Mystique, Rogue was once a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Now reformed, Rogue has become a veteran member of the X-Men.

Rogue: with Gambit or without?

• 70 results
    tyger_raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tyger_raven

Very few comic couples come to mind that have as much of a controversial history as Rogue and Gambit. Whether you love or hate either character, there are many fans who are vocal about their opinions on whether Rogue and Gambit should be together forever or call it quits.

Me, I'm in the "Call it quits" category. I love Rogue, I really do, but it felt like the writers didn't know who Rogue was when they decided to pair her up with Gambit. She went from being a strong tough person who has proven herself time and again to being a whiny insecure brat who needed Gambit to convince her over and over that he loved her. Rogue lost her identity and strength when she developed a relationship with Gambit, and personally, I'm glad that they are currently separated from each other.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

Gambit needs to stand on his own. I hear Carey may be bringing him back. I hope he comes back to kick some @$$. Rogue is now standing strong on her own leading her own team of X-Men. Rogue shouldn't be with Gambit, she should be with me!

Avatar image for captain_cascader
    Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Captain Cascader

I understood the pairing and they make sense together, but I always liked Gambit as a loner myself.

Raif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Raif

Gambit was my first real comic book love. I remember loving almost everything about him in the cartoons on fox when I was young and I hate Rogue so I want him on his own, maybe off to the side in a book about just him.

Noir_Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Noir_Dark

Anything without Gambit is better for it.

Gypsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gypsy

I've always been a fan of Gambit and Rogue together. Of course, I've also always been very fond of Remy, so that colors things a bit. lol

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By NiteFly

I'm just curious if he is going to retain his black appearance and cool new powers (and if he still has his cool old powers). The Apocalypse story line was rushed and I would like them to make up for that by making Gambit awesome again. Kind of like the old Archangel as Death. Man I loved everything about that look. The skin color, the metal wings, all of it.

Kaiho13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kaiho13

they are both better when they are not whinning about their relationship.

separate them for life.

Canemacar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Canemacar

Rogue just sucks the life out of Gambit(pun intended). He's better off without her angst weighing him down.

Their pairing is one of the best in comicdom, works on several levels, makes a lot of sense, and helped them both grow, but now it's just holding Gambit back and I don't want that.

blackkatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By blackkatt

Once upon a time I was a huge Rogue/Gambit shipper freak. But truth be told, I miss the reason they called her Rogue! Hey, sure, lots of you here love Gambit, but honestly, (to put it nicely) he's far from good enough for her. I mean, honestly? Rogue doesn't need anyone. And if she were to date, she's the kinda girl who wants a family and a strong man to love her no matter what. Gambit? He's just a little boy with a big libido who was looking for a challenge.

And, in Rogue's defence. If ya'll wanna judge these characters on their personalities, lemme go all psychoanalysis on you. Rogue can't touch ANYONE. Hasn't since her early teen years. Not to mention she was orphaned and beaten as a child, driven to the point of running away and living on her own as a young teen, and then taken in and essentially raised by a terrorist.

Those of you who think she's a whiny brat? Pick up UXM 269 and see how she was before she met Gambit, before he made her so insecure about whether she was a game to him or not that her personality was completely introverted from being an independent and strong (especially considering she had a couple dozen people just kinda chillin' in her head all fighting for dominance CONSTANTLY) to being dependent and feeling completely isolated from everyone BUT Gambit.

Honestly? Gambit betrayed her. He tried to kill her. He can't handle her.

Canemacar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Canemacar

Once upon a time I was a huge Rogue/Gambit shipper freak. But truth be told, I miss the reason they called her Rogue! Hey, sure, lots of you here love Gambit, but honestly, (to put it nicely) he's far from good enough for her. I mean, honestly? Rogue doesn't need anyone. And if she were to date, she's the kinda girl who wants a family and a strong man to love her no matter what. Gambit? He's just a little boy with a big libido who was looking for a challenge.

You don't know what you're talking about. Gambit has proven himself many times. Aside from assuring her repeatedly that he isn't going to just leave because she can't sleep with him and keeping true to his word, passing on a lot of tail he could've gotten from other women, and telling his first love(Belladonna) that they couldn't be together anymore when he is reuinted with her, he also assured her that the Antarctica incident wasn't her fault and spun that story about it being his self-loathing that made her do it so that she wouldn't beat herself up about it. I'm not sure what it means to you, but if a guy can forgive an attempted murder and even try to absolve her of the guilt, I'd say it's DAMN clear that he loves her. "Little boy with a big libedo" my ear. If Rogue or anyone else thinks he isn't good enough, than they either have ridiculously unrealistic expectations, or they don't know the first thing about those two.

BTW, Gambit did nothing to "betray" Rogue. In BoA, he was acting as a double agent, but was over-powered by the brain-washing and wasn't sane when he tried to kill Rogue, just like Warren wasn't sane when HE tried to kill the X-men as Archangel.

And, in Rogue's defence. If ya'll wanna judge these characters on their personalities, lemme go all psychoanalysis on you. Rogue can't touch ANYONE. Hasn't since her early teen years. Not to mention she was orphaned and beaten as a child, driven to the point of running away and living on her own as a young teen, and then taken in and essentially raised by a terrorist.

Rogue had a nice childhood. Her aunt, while strict, saw to it that she was well-cared for. Rogue simply ran away because she didn't like the rules. And while Mystique and Destiny were terrorist, it's been made very clear that they raised her in a safe and loving environment.

Those of you who think she's a whiny brat? Pick up UXM 269 and see how she was before she met Gambit, before he made her so insecure about whether she was a game to him or not that her personality was completely introverted from being an independent and strong (especially considering she had a couple dozen people just kinda chillin' in her head all fighting for dominance CONSTANTLY) to being dependent and feeling completely isolated from everyone BUT Gambit.

1: Gambit didn't do jack to Rogue. If anything, he tried to make her LESS insecure about her powers. Not his fault she wouldn't listen and kept obsessing about it.

2: She wasn't completely introverted either. Just read X-Treme X-men where she is confident and tough, and romantically involved with Gambit.
    Post Edited:2007-02-16 01:44:10

blackkatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blackkatt

You misinterpret me and only seemed to read my less-friendly words about Gambit. Right. Let me say this, my arguement is that she is better off. Let me say it again, to make sure it's clear. Better OFF. Not Gambit is evil and should die, that they don't mesh well and Rogue would have a more fulfilling life without him. As in, whether Gambit INTENTIONALLY did anything or not, their relationship reflected badly on THE BOTH of them. Is that nicer?

I won't even dignify that Anarctica comment with a real response. A)It's the oldest (and only) argument against Rogue and B)That's just going to start an outright fight.

You say Rogue had a delightful childhood and only left because she just couldn't handle the rules, the immature twit. She LOST her PARENTS. Did you just skip over that when reading? Do you know how badly that screws someone up? Loosing the people who are supposed to take care of you before you even understand the concept of death? Oh yeah, that's not emotionally scarring.

I'll grant you Mystique and Destiny were good parents. I personally love them. But they did involve her in terrorism before she was even a legal adult. Doesn't that point to maybe SOMETHING amiss? That maybe, just maybe, Rogue has a small dependency problem and feels the need to constantly proove herself to those are more emotionally reserved? Like, say, Mystique, Gambit, even Storm? And Mystique took advantage of that need to earn her love to add an extremely powerful mutant to her team? I adore and respect Mystique, but she hasn't exactly been known for putting her love before her ambition. And please don't tell me that if she has dependency issues, that automatically means she depends on everyone and isn't independent. That's bull.

I concede, I went a little overboard in my Gambit-hating. I was spurned on by all the Rogue bashing on her own page. But let me say this: I would never go for a guy like Gambit. Does that make me an idealistic idiot who knows nothing about the couple? I mean, Gambit's not the only form of attractive male in the world. Anybody that thinks he IS has a really sad view of the world. Speak for yourself next time.

Getting to the big picture. Gambit may have tried to help Rogue, but whether he meant well or not, that doesn't change the effect. She was happy before she met him. When they started dating they had so many ups and downs, it would put most currently airing soap operas to shame. You guys are irritated by Rogue because you don't understand a woman's insecurities. I could prepare some endless rant, but this isn't the place. All you need to know is that Gambit said a lot of things. He also did a lot of things. Good and bad. We forgive and we forget because, as comic fans, that is part of our role. They've got to keep us entertained somehow, don't they?

But what he did and said didn't AFFECT Rogue. You can reach for the moon all you want, but that doesn't mean you're gonna get it and it certainly doesn't mean you're gonna get credit for getting it. Don't give me what he did that didn't work. Only time Gambit made Rogue feel better that I'VE seen was that time after she killed the Goth or whatever his name was. And I'm sure if he wasn't there, Wolverine would've given her the same talk.
    Post Edited:2007-02-17 03:32:43

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mighty Magneto

G-Man says:

"Gambit needs to stand on his own. I hear Carey may be bringing him back. I hope he comes back to kick some @$$. Rogue is now standing strong on her own leading her own team of X-Men. Rogue shouldn't be with Gambit, she should be with me!"

You mean she should be with me right.

Canemacar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Canemacar

"You misinterpret me and only seemed to read my less-friendly words about Gambit. Right. Let me say this, my arguement is that she is better off. Let me say it again, to make sure it's clear. Better OFF. Not Gambit is evil and should die, that they don't mesh well and Rogue would have a more fulfilling life without him. As in, whether Gambit INTENTIONALLY did anything or not, their relationship reflected badly on THE BOTH of them. Is that nicer?

Well, when you're saying he's far from good enough for her, when he's gone through a lot to try and be there for her, then yes. I will probably focus on that instead of you trying to defend Rogue from a comment that was directed more towards how the writers wrote her than the character herself.

I won't even dignify that Anarctica comment with a real response. A)It's the oldest (and only) argument against Rogue and B)That's just going to start an outright fight.

1: It's far from the only complaint against Rogue.

2: I'd say you've already taken us there.

However, I wasn't usuing the Antarctica incident as an example of how horrible Rogue is but as an exaqmple of what Gambit does to show that he cares.

You say Rogue had a delightful childhood and only left because she just couldn't handle the rules, the immature twit. She LOST her PARENTS. Did you just skip over that when reading? Do you know how badly that screws someone up? Loosing the people who are supposed to take care of you before you even understand the concept of death? Oh yeah, that's not emotionally scarring.

She's not the only person, or even X-men, who lost parents at a young age, I don't know why you think that entitles her to special consideration.

I'll grant you Mystique and Destiny were good parents. I personally love them. But they did involve her in terrorism before she was even a legal adult. Doesn't that point to maybe SOMETHING amiss?

I agree with you here. Rogue attacked Ms. Marvel to prove herself to Mystique, that does show that Rogue is emotionally dependant on the approval of those she cares about and can be lead astray because of it.

That maybe, just maybe, Rogue has a small dependency problem and feels the need to constantly proove herself to those are more emotionally reserved? Like, say, Mystique, Gambit, even Storm?

Yes, but Mystique was the only one who used that insecurity to manipulate Rogue. Storm and Gambit were both very supportive despite their emotional reservation.

And Mystique took advantage of that need to earn her love to add an extremely powerful mutant to her team? I adore and respect Mystique, but she hasn't exactly been known for putting her love before her ambition.

Yes, she did. Carey is doing a good job of handling this in Adjectiveless at the moment.

And please don't tell me that if she has dependency issues, that automatically means she depends on everyone and isn't independent. That's bull.

I wasn't going to. She's emotional vulnerable to those who get past her "tough girl" armor, but that doesn't make her weak in any way.

I concede, I went a little overboard in my Gambit-hating. I was spurned on by all the Rogue bashing on her own page.

I understand, I'm the same way with Rogue fans bashing Gambit.

But let me say this: I would never go for a guy like Gambit. Does that make me an idealistic idiot who knows nothing about the couple? I mean, Gambit's not the only form of attractive male in the world. Anybody that thinks he IS has a really sad view of the world. Speak for yourself next time.

1: I didn't say that anyone who doesn't like Gambit is an idealistic fool. I said that anyone who finds the efforts he made to show he cares to be insufficient, then they have unrealistic expectations.

2: Do not make this personal. I don't appreciate people insulting me.

Getting to the big picture. Gambit may have tried to help Rogue, but whether he meant well or not, that doesn't change the effect. She was happy before she met him. When they started dating they had so many ups and downs, it would put most currently airing soap operas to shame.

If you really think Rogue was happy before Gambit came along, you haven't been reading very carefully. Rogue has always been insecure and emotionally fragile. She simply hid it all under her tomboy attitude. Just look at how she crumpled like cheap tin when she was captured in genosha that one time and Carol had to take over in order to escape. Gambit getting close to her simply made it harder for her to keep up that facade all the time.

You guys are irritated by Rogue because you don't understand a woman's insecurities. I could prepare some endless rant, but this isn't the place. All you need to know is that Gambit said a lot of things. He also did a lot of things. Good and bad. We forgive and we forget because, as comic fans, that is part of our role. They've got to keep us entertained somehow, don't they? But what he did and said didn't AFFECT Rogue. You can reach for the moon all you want, but that doesn't mean you're gonna get it and it certainly doesn't mean you're gonna get credit for getting it. Don't give me what he did that didn't work. Only time Gambit made Rogue feel better that I'VE seen was that time after she killed the Goth or whatever his name was. And I'm sure if he wasn't there, Wolverine would've given her the same talk.

So just because Rogue didn't listen to all the encouragement Gambit tried to give her, it should all be disregarded and Gambit labeled an insensitive jerk? Sorry, but thats not how things work. Gambit isn't a licensed shrink, he did what he could.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#15  Edited By gmanfromheck

Mighty Magneto says:

"G-Man says:
    "Gambit needs to stand on his own. I hear Carey may be bringing him back. I hope he comes back to kick some @$$. Rogue is now standing strong on her own leading her own team of X-Men. Rogue shouldn't be with Gambit, she should be with me!"

You mean she should be with me right."

Uhm, okay, you can have her. I guess I'm not really into the whole going into a coma thing.

whitephoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By whitephoenix

I think that the problem is the way that the relationship has always been written. It always seems like writers automatically pair the two together so that anything they do, they have to do together. It rarely gives either character a chance to shine on their own, as characters they are always defined by their relationship to each other. I think when Gambit returns and if he does indeed return to the X-Men, the writers need to keep them away from each other and on separate titles, because I think the whole issue of their relationship has grown stale. Both characters need to be allowed to forge stronger individual identities.

Boken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Boken

i think that they need to develope alone then get together. thats what happened with cannnonballl and meltdown aka boomer aka boom boom.

Dark Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dark Angel

Post Deleted.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Without. He should be with Emma Frost.

BISHOPMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BISHOPMASTER

I think that while they do belong with each other they need time to mature and be the bast the can for one another. So , yes I said it with EACH OTHER!

BISHOPMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BISHOPMASTER

I think that while they do belong with each other they need time to mature and be the bEst the can for one another. So , yes I said it with EACH OTHER!

Roguegirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Roguegirl

i like rogue anyhow but but she and gambit are just so made for each other

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Vindellavon

Honestly, both Gumbo and Rogue can do better without each other. Kind of like Jean and Scott, good together, but badass apart. I hate to say it, and I despise this pairing more than I despise Clark/Lois, Rogue/Logan works better, as does Emma/Gambit.  

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambit and Rogue are as stale as year-old pretzels.  They need to split up and get some sort of identity besides their geographic origins and their relationship with each other.  If I have to hear one more horrific exchange filled to the brim with "Shugah" and "Cheri" and "Puddin'" and God knows what other bits of pseudo-Southern lingo, I think I'll vomit.  And please, for the love of God, stop with the whole on-again-off-again thing!  These two cretins have been dancing around each other for decades now!  Either make it a real relationship with real emotions and motivations, rather than the whole "we're both Southerners, so naturally we're in love!" thing that they've had going on until now, or let it die a peaceful death.  Rogue and Gambit bring a cheezy, sleazy soap-opera quality to the X-books that I really detest.

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vindellavon
    Alexander Anderson said:
    "Gambit and Rogue are as stale as year-old pretzels.  They need to split up and get some sort of identity besides their geographic origins and their relationship with each other.  If I have to hear one more horrific exchange filled to the brim with "Shugah" and "Cheri" and "Puddin'" and God knows what other bits of pseudo-Southern lingo, I think I'll vomit.  And please, for the love of God, stop with the whole on-again-off-again thing!  These two cretins have been dancing around each other for decades now!  Either make it a real relationship with real emotions and motivations, rather than the whole "we're both Southerners, so naturally we're in love!" thing that they've had going on until now, or let it die a peaceful death.  Rogue and Gambit bring a cheezy, sleazy soap-opera quality to the X-books that I really detest."

LMAO You hit the nail right on the head.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PrinceIMC

I agree, Gambit and Rogue need to be separated. I mean over the years they've been together Gambit has found companionship in the arms of lots of women then gone right back to Rogue. I think it would be interesting to explore Rogue and Colossus like they starter back in like 2000 when they jumped forward six months. Sure Pete still needs to get over Kitty but I like the idea of him and Rogue.

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vindellavon
    PrinceIMC said:
    "I agree, Gambit and Rogue need to be separated. I mean over the years they've been together Gambit has found companionship in the arms of lots of women then gone right back to Rogue. I think it would be interesting to explore Rogue and Colossus like they starter back in like 2000 when they jumped forward six months. Sure Pete still needs to get over Kitty but I like the idea of him and Rogue."

Piotr/Rogue works fine, and it'd be nice if Gumbo took a leave from the comics for a while, offcomicville somewhere, building a life for himself where there's no Rogue involved. Anyone watch the new Wolverine show? Pfft, I'd reather see him end up with Lorna than have slightlyhomo!Rogue meet stillabastard!Gumbo.
    Roguegirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Roguegirl
    Vindellavon said:
    "Honestly, both Gumbo and Rogue can do better without each other. Kind of like Jean and Scott, good together, but badass apart. I hate to say it, and I despise this pairing more than I despise Clark/Lois, Rogue/Logan works better, as does Emma/Gambit.  "
    gambit with emma frost?!!
    wtf?why cause she is the hottest x-women ever and the gambit fan boys want so?whatever...if something like that happens, that will mean that someone didn't understand gambits real charakter
    i know that no one understands what i'm trying to say but..that's life

Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Suigetsu

marry them once and for all and be done with it!

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The Devil Tiger

I think they were a great couple, but their relationship was mishandled in the long term...

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vindellavon
    Roguegirl said:
    Vindellavon said: "Honestly, both Gumbo and Rogue can do better without each other. Kind of like Jean and Scott, good ... [more]

Why not? Emma can do a hell of a lot better than Summers, and Gambit needs a woman who can handle his idiocy. Hey, at least I don't vouch for Storm/Gambit. Nasty.
    MercenaryX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MercenaryX

Gambit needs to date someone else.

gambit18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gambit18
    Gambit is it looks good rogue

they want to as a bitch emma X__X.

This allowed a good time to grow as people and as heroes, that had olvidades well, but they are for each other are.

Gambit x rogue forever
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gunswordfist
    @tyger_raven:
    Rogue and Gambit together forever. Easily my favorite comic book couple and I usually HATE comic book couples.
    Neobamboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Neobamboom
    Suigetsu said:
    marry them once and for all and be done with it!
    agreed.
    Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Apparition

without

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    Apparition said:
    without
    AGREED.
    Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By Suigetsu

why without? so it happens again?

You people have to understand, this is like an uroboros, it NEVER ENDS!
    The only way to finish with this madness is by MARRYING THOSE 2´!

beside's its probably the only mutant marriage that makes sense and no one would be upset of this one should be with this other one etc..

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Stormultt

rogue and gambit were never to end up together according to CC but her this new x-men crap is really annoying she needs to leave him

jesterpress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jesterpress

without most certainly!  She was better with Magneto anyway!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I just want them to pick a road and stick with it. Either have them get married or separte them. But at least pick one.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LoganRogue24

i agree with Tyger-Raven i think Rogue should dump Gambit and either be single for a bit or hook up with Logan or Colossus.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Logan? That would be interesting. I dont really see it though. Logan likes his women a bit more.........ethnic o_O

romyfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By romyfan

Wow, there are a lot of Romy haters on here.  I agree with the on again off again thing.  I have had enough of that.  I've waited years for them to get their happily ever after.  C'mon already they are made for each other.  Don't mess with destiny! 

Roguegirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Roguegirl

Rogue and Gambit's story..it's a long one.why to end up with everything and why to get them separeted now after all this time?
    don't understand all this haters

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Vindellavon

And that's another thing, how long till Rogue just happens to get her powers back on track? Speaking in terms of Legacy: Reunion. We know its going to happen, but when it does, will Gambit and she last, or are we going to be introduced to another angst-fest? Its like the Daken/Wolverine crap isn't bad enoough, the unholy lovers are now back together.

... They said Jean/Scott/Emma/Phoenix was bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.