Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8623 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

canhe breath in space

• 57 results
    Avatar image for the_mighty_thor
    The Mighty Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The Mighty Thor

can he?

Hagane Enna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hagane Enna

The Mighty Thor says:

"can he?"

Not so much breathe I think as hold his breath for a really long time.

Avatar image for the_mighty_thor
    The Mighty Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The Mighty Thor

huh i thought he could seeing how asgard is in space unless there is a force field around them

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Andferne

He has and hasnt. It has depended on the writer.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lordraiden

More or less! if you wanna get technical, then pretty much what andferne said!

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is always shown breathing in space. When they go into space with there respective teams Thor is shown flying in space unaided while his team is flying in an aircraft. Even in Avengers Assemble #5-7 he was doing it.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he can survive in space. Flies through it all the time.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

space, water, ice, hel, in gamma radiation he can breath in anything. THOR is the god!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@thundergodswrath said:

Thor is always shown breathing in space. When they go into space with there respective teams Thor is shown flying in space unaided while his team is flying in an aircraft. Even in Avengers Assemble #5-7 he was doing it.

you cant breathe in space because there isnt any oxygen. my guess is that Thor just doesnt need to breathe.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By New_World_Order

@thundergodswrath said:

you can breathe in space because there isnt any oxygen. my guess is that Thor just doesnt need to breathe.

I just realized what I said, lol. Damn that was a dumb thing to say. Also I think there was an instance where 8th Day Juggernaut has choked Thor too close death.

Avatar image for hoarderofhilarity
    Hoarderofhilarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They even had him breathing in space in EMH

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alligatian

He can.....but apparently we have this then:

No Caption Provided

In that next scan he mentions that he has to find earth before blacks out, I honestly don't know what was going on here:

No Caption Provided

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then we also have this:

No Caption Provided

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alligatian: There are various writers who have made Thor unable to survive in space for long just as there are plenty of others who have him fly through space and do things like fight inside the sun. We as comic readers just have to accept the inconsistencies. Writers don't really care about such things.

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@alligatian: There are various writers who have made Thor unable to survive in space for long just as there are plenty of others who have him fly through space and do things like fight inside the sun. We as comic readers just have to accept the inconsistencies. Writers don't really care about such things.

I can accept that, what about breathing underwater? Unlike Superman, Thor has never shown he could hold his breathe underwater like he does in space, in fact he has more feats of being in space than Superman but when it comes to being underwater, he has none

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, he can hold his breath for an extremely long time though.

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, he can hold his breath for an extremely long time though.

Even underwater?

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
    deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he can survive in space.

very recent comics show that.

underwater???

I don't know.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alligatian: Yes, he can also hold his breath underwater for long amounts of time too.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like most things involving Thor it depends on the writer.

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newworldorder: I've never seen him do that before, in fact there are 5 accounts of Thor where he almost drowns being underwater, and he is barely there for like 5 minutes

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NewWorldOrder

@alligatian: It varies from writer to writer, and a lot of instances he's fighting underwater which would mean it's a lot harder to hold his breath.

NoRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, he can breathe in space. Can remember him blitzing SS onto Mars, asking SS if he wanted to die on Mars. You can't casually threaten people like that if you actually need oxygen to breathe.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thundergodswrath said:

you cant breathe in space because there isnt any oxygen. my guess is that Thor just doesnt need to breathe.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt said:
    @thundergodswrath said:

Back when i was reading marvel comics (early 2015), this was the last time where the theme was explored...

That is from Angela Asgard's Assassin...

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:
    @heroup2112 said:
    @avenging_x_bolt said:
    @thundergodswrath said:

Back when i was reading marvel comics (early 2015), this was the last time where the theme was explored...

Huh...no foolin'. That's pretty cool. Yeah, as some have pointed out, it depends on the writer I suppose but I think it's been pretty firmly established by this point that Asgardians (Thor at LEAST) don't breath conventionally. Certainly not in space.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@asgaard said:
    @heroup2112 said:
    @avenging_x_bolt said:
    @thundergodswrath said:

hmmm that's interesting never saw that

I always just assumed he could because he goes to space a lot also the Asgardian ships that travel space have no covering on them they just sail through space like a ship in a sea not seemingly needing to breathe

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Alligatian

@alligatian: It varies from writer to writer, and a lot of instances he's fighting underwater which would mean it's a lot harder to hold his breath.

Do you know any issues or have scans where he has no trouble breathing underwater? It doesn't make sense that he has more feats being in space than Superman but being underwater he has none. Like I said, there are at least 4 instances where he couldn't stay underwater than that of a regular human. Just comparing Superman and Thor being underwater Superman triumphs, like I said, there are at least 4 instances where Thor has had trouble being underwater. But this scan comparing Superman and Thor is my favorite:

No Caption Provided

Thor almost blacks out as the Destroyer pins him underwater, now Superman is faced with the same situation when Icon tries to drown him here:

No Caption Provided

lol, I like Superman's response there

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just really inconsistent, though for the most part he's been shown to be fully capable of surviving in space without external oxygen or protection. Of course then not being able to do the same underwater is a contradiction that has yet to be explained as far as I know.

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I always wondered why Thor could hold his breathe in space but couldn't underwater, if the scans above which compare Superman and Thor being shoved underwater are not clear enough Thor can't hold his breath underwater.....I don't know what will.

Wait, hang on, here is something that should very clearThor can't hold his breath underwater:

No Caption Provided

He is barely underwater for a half a minute and yet he states that he can't hold his breath much longer and that his lungs are about to explode:

No Caption Provided

Well I'm pretty sure guys like Batman or Spider-Man have held their breath underwater longer than Thor, lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alligatian: that was like 80 years ago.

current Thor can hold breath much longer.

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: Do you have scans or links I can see? Because I have never Thor seen Thor hold his breath underwater, like ever

There are at least 3 examples where he has trouble holding his breath underwater (from classical Thor), two examples where he blacks out for being underwater loo long (again classic) and one example where where he wears an Asgardian swim-suit (think divers wearing diving suits when diving underwater) when he goes underwater with the Lady Sif searching the tree of life (current Thor).....and in that next issue kid Loki dives in the same water without wearing an Asgardian swim-suit (don't know what it's called so I just named it that way, lol)

Like I said if you know any issues or have scans please reference/load them so I can check them out, because his best feat underwater was fighting the Destroyer underwater for 2minutes(again, classic Thor)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: recntly female Thor was underwtare for longer.

it was in some Avengers comic.

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 del_torro  Online

Thor was fighting frost Giants underwater when make kith cut his arm, he also fought Bodolf underwater for a little bit

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

They have full conversations on the moon. Gotta be able to breathe in order talk. So this makes no sense, but Asgardians do it somehow

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Alligatian

@del_torro: Scans? Links? Issue number? Please link those, I would like to see them

And oh, just to add on:

No Caption Provided

CAPTION:

No Caption Provided

hmmmm

No Caption Provided

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the very old comics thor are inconsistent in him breathing in space. depends on the writer.

late 2010 he still can except for one comic because Marvel Now thor can talk, go in deep space can breath, talk. the comics i've been talking about is hickmans run where hyperion said "i dont need to breath and thor can hold his breath longer than this forcefield can last" (or something like that when they met the future ultron avengers). but other than this instance we can perfectly say he can breath in space because other moments seems he is, laughing so hard , for me, needs breathing. or he just not breath normal.(comics)

underwater, old comics no. but modern yeah. here is an example

No Caption Provided

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: Thanks for uploading the scan, it's really puzzling that he has no problem holding his breath in space but has troubleholding his breath underwater. Even with the scan you posted above, we are not really sure how long he is underwater It could be he is there for a like a minute or so, and street levelers do this all the time like Batman has been known to hold his breath underwater for like 3 minutes or Spider-Man holding his breath underwater for like 8 minutes. All those surpass what feats Thor has underwater, considering his "biggest" underwater feat was fighting the Destroyer underwater for 2 minutes.

Speaking of Thor having trouble holding his breath underwater, there was actually a comic where he passed out due to lack of oxygen underwater, here's the comic example where he battles Kartag:

No Caption Provided

The battle eventually takes both warriors into an underground river and Thor is strangled underwater (muck like similar to the scan I posted of Icon trying to drown Superman):

No Caption Provided

And of course (what also shocked me in the process) Thor blacks out, here in the last scan:

No Caption Provided

These scans above are just the tip of the iceberg concerning Thor's underwater feats, lol

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: @asgardianbrony: There's a literal part of the moon where people can talk and breathe that's why the Inhuman lived up there for so long

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By titing2101

@alligatian: well, it really depends on the writers. and yeah old scans dont let him breath or talk in space/underwater. These got "retconned" or lets say accepted that thor talking and laughing in space = breathing.

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alligatian: well, it really depends on the writers. and yeah old scans dont let him breath or talk in space/underwater. These got "retconned" or lets say accepted that thor talking and laughing in space = breathing.

Understandable, but even with the current Thor his underwater feats are more like diving underwater for a few seconds and dives out. He hardly stays there for a minute, or something Superman is well known for when he is underwater for long periods of time (I think in one comic he was underwater for over an hour).

But you see that's the thing, Thor has more showings in space than Superman does but he lacks underwater feats. Here's one typical example where he battles Fire-Lord underwater:

No Caption Provided

What surprises me is what he says in the following scan:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@jayc1324: @asgardianbrony: There's a literal part of the moon where people can talk and breathe that's why the Inhuman lived up there for so long

Thor doesn't only talk on the moon though. He has done it while fighting Gorr in space too

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By titing2101

@alligatian:

well as i have mentioned, these are classic thor, very classic that he cant be seen talking in space / underwater thus he cant breath. but modern thor has the capability to talk and fight in space/underwater now, so that was retconned. here are another example of thor underwater(blood) and keeps talking/shouting.

if he can in space, no reason he cant underwater or he just doesnt need to breath. unless a writer really delves down on his breathing, we can only accept the inconsitencies in the past that depends on the writer if he can/cannot(classic) and the modern thor can because modern thor has not yet had a problem with his breathing in space/underwater while fighting, he opens his mouth/talk/laugh/shout in these conditions.

well my final conclusion is that CURRENT/MODERN thor can unless stated shown otherwise that he has problem/trouble with breathing in space/underwater

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alligatian:

well as i have mentioned, these are classic thor, very classic that he cant be seen talking in space / underwater thus he cant breath. but modern thor has the capability to talk and fight in space/underwater now, so that was retconned. here are another example of thor underwater(blood) and keeps talking/shouting.

if he can in space, no reason he cant underwater or he just doesnt need to breath. unless a writer really delves down on his breathing, we can only accept the inconsitencies in the past that depends on the writer if he can/cannot(classic) and the modern thor can because modern thor has not yet had a problem with his breathing in space/underwater while fighting, he opens his mouth/talk/laugh/shout in these conditions.

well my final conclusion is that CURRENT/MODERN thor can unless stated shown otherwise that he has problem/trouble with breathing in space/underwater

well as i have mentioned, these are classic thor, very classic that he cant be seen talking in space / underwater thus he cant breath.

I think you are mistaken here, classic Thor never had a problem talking in space and holding his breath in space. The issue has always been with him holding his breath underwater, not space. That's why I even said that Thor has more feats holding his breath in space than Superman because most of his battles are in space, while Superman's are on earth. I then said that it doesn't make sense that Thor can't hold his breath underwater while Superman can considering Superman has way more feats in that department. Also just to show you that the classic Thor never had problems holding his breath in space, here's one of examples I want to show you of the classic Thor never having any problems holding his breath in space and usually talks a lot in those battles:

No Caption Provided

What's interesting about this scan from the classical Thor is that (in space) he tells Mercury that he better hope that his henchmen have air-masks, Thor's statement clearly shows that he never has a problem holding his breath in space and he talks throughout the issue like you would talk to someone everyday. So again the classic Thor never had a problem talking in space or holding his breath space, he only had a problem holding his breath underwater which is something I really never understood. Even here in one of Thor's comic issues, a reader rights a letter to the Marvel writers asking why (which is what I too wanna know) does Thor have trouble holding his breath underwater. He doesn't ask why Thor can't hold his breath in space, he asks why can't Thor hold his breath underwater, and the example the reader brings out references the scans I just posted of Thor battling Fire-Lord underwater and retreating to the surface to catch his breath. And look at the answers the writers provide this reader:

No Caption Provided

The writers don't exactly answer the question and kind of beat around the bush to answer the kid "While it's true that he can take a deep breath and withstand the hostile environment of space for a short time-Thor is still a living being who needs to breath". So the writers inform the reader about how Thor survives in space but that still doesn't answer our question (and the reader's one as well) if Thor can hold his breath underwater or not, since the writers deviate from the reader's question and rather talk about how Thor can survive in space where the reader wanted to know why does Thor have trouble breathing underwater.......not space!!!

but modern thor has the capability to talk and fight in space/

But you see the classic Thor never had a problem breathing and talking in space, he had a problem talking and holding his breath underwater.

underwater now

I think I've seen one or two scans where the classic Thor talks underwater like one of his fights he had with Namor underwater here:

No Caption Provided

We see Thor talk here underwater where he says "Thor follows!!!". But then in that very same scan he (mentally) states that even though he is an immortal born he is no amphibian like Namor, that statement to me says a lot but then again this is the classic Thor used here not the modern one (which I'm also going to address).

, so that was retconned. here are another example of thor underwater(blood) and keeps talking/shouting.

Thanks for the scans, at least with the modern Thor he has more feats talking underwater than the classic one which doesn't say much though.....but it's a start

if he can in space, no reason he cant underwater

Exactly my point, but let's hope that Marvel writers can at least show us more feats of Thor being underwater for a long time like Superman and not have short fights of Thor underwater because technically anyone in the comics who's not even super human can do that.

or he just doesnt need to breath. unless a writer really delves down on his breathing, we can only accept the inconsitencies in the past that depends on the writer if he can/cannot(classic)

Yeah let's hope so but Thor's abilities in all honesty just vary from writer to writer so his powers are not always consistent. Like for example can he fly without his hammer or is he bulletproof considering the classic Thor had a decade of feats of him just blocking bullets and lasers with just his hammer.

and the modern thor can because modern thor has not yet had a problem with his breathing in space/underwater while fighting, he opens his mouth/talk/laugh/shout in these conditions.

Talking underwater is what I found impressive but then again he is only underwater for short periods, also with the current or modern Thor I've actually seen him wearing a suit when he dove underwater. This is the modern or current Thor where he dove underwater wearing a special suit (almost like a futuristic diving suit) alongside Lady Sif where they were trying to fix the Yogisadi tree (sorry I can't spell that word, lol):

No Caption Provided

And he stayed underwater for a long time in this issue (for a couple of pages) which is something he would not do when not wearing the suit, what I didn't understand about this comic was that in the very same issue (or the one that came after) was that kid Loki actually dove into the very same river/lake/well without a suit here:

No Caption Provided

Cool no problem, but what's cool about Thor in other media (no, not the movies) is that one of the episodes of Avengers-Earth's Mightiest Heroes they battled Graviton. The villain used his gravity powers to shove Thor underwater for quite a significant amount of time, Thor was so deep underwater that he was halfway buried under the sand under the sea. When he eventually retrieved his hammer and flew out of the water he showed no signs of fatigue for staying so long underwater, and what's even more amazing is that he lifted the entire surface of Manhattan (even though he struggled). So yeah let's hope the writers who are writing Thor take his powers into consideration, just my opinion and 2 cents

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 del_torro  Online

Thor God of Thunder #19 pages 6-8, has Thor fighting underwater and speaking.

I believe he spoke underwater in Thor vol4 #1

The mighty Thor #7, part of Thor and Bodolfs fight was underwater, but that part might be too brief to count

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Alligatian

@del_torro: Thanks, I'll check it out

Also, here's a scan that can explain how Thor "breathes" in space and communicates there with his comrades whey they are sailing on their Asgardian ship:

No Caption Provided

Well there you have it folks

Bhutlah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

These two pages from Thor Annual #6 show him succumbing to space at what appears to be a rapid pace.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhutlah: Yeah, but now he can fight in space against people for entire issues.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e0c61aba21e
    deactivated-60e0c61aba21e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

@bhutlah: Yeah, but now he can fight in space against people for entire issues.

i thought this was common sense now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.