Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8624 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor (2018) Comic Run Discussion Thread

IceHeart_30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IceHeart_30

https://comicstore.marvel.com/Thor-2018-1/digital-comic/48288

Write your thoughts about it.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By phillip33

I really want to give this a chance but there was way too much calling back to Jane foster. So much emotional gratificAtion for her all over the book, it’s like Aaron keeps kicking thor fans in the nuts over Jane being “the best there was” blah blah blah. Yeah we get it, Aaron loves fem thor, but that’s not what true thor fans want to see. Also hints that she may be coming back as thor in the future are terrifying. Thor got some good feats though in this issue. Beating the crap out of an amped juggernaut, joking around with a pissed of Namor and casually beating him offscreen are nice feats, though the second isn’t anything too special.

Overall though I’d have to say i didn’t really like this issue. Thor’s too ragnarok-ish for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
    deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only good thing was stuff with King Thor.

the first half was literally a joke about hammers.

second one was all about how great Jane was.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The preview pages looked horrible and from what I gathered in spoiler threads the story and characterization are laughable. I'll pass until Thor gets a new writer and perhaps a much needed retcon.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to give this a chance but there was way too much calling back to Jane foster. So much emotional gratificAtion for her all over the book, it’s like Aaron keeps kicking thor fans in the nuts over Jane being “the best there was” blah blah blah. Yeah we get it, Aaron loves fem thor, but that’s not what true thor fans want to see. Also hints that she may be coming back as thor in the future are terrifying. Thor got some good feats though in this issue. Beating the crap out of an amped juggernaut, joking around with a pissed of Namor and casually beating him offscreen are nice feats, though the second isn’t anything too special.

Overall though I’d have to say i didn’t really like this issue. Thor’s too ragnarok-ish for me.

I thought Thor was done against Juggs after that first hit glad to see him getting in a few wins

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:
    @phillip33 said:

I thought Thor was done against Juggs after that first hit glad to see him getting in a few wins

it honestly wasn't that good featswise, as the juggernaut instance had nothing to do with thor and more to do with the hammers that he broke, which were literally dozens, exhausting Asgard's uru supply, and on Jugg's face. Yeah the namor thing was nice, though i'd think namor may have been weakened due to the fire on the water, but as you said, it isn't anything too special.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Thorthunder98

Sooo Uru is just weak as shit now or what?

Thor had Mjolnir for soooo long and it broke like once or twice under extreme circumstances, now like hundreds of uru hammers are shattering like glass in one battle.

And Odin is enchanting them yet he couldn't lift Mjolnir which he enchanted so he can enchant but can't un-enchant his own enchantments.

Jason Aaron is a straight up dumbass idk how his brain works

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By titing2101

Did i read that right? That thor was begging screwbeard to send the hammer fast because he will die from falling down on the ground with spikes???

thor can now be pierced b rock/wood spikes?

mjolnir's uru is "purer" that is why these new hammers break easily?

frejya using dextrose iv?

and now enchantments works again.

if not for thor i won't be reading this crap >_<

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By phillip33

@battle123axe: I mean he took a punch from a juggernaut who said he was more powerful than usual without much damage, and was clearly causing damage to juggernaut regardless of if the hammers broke or not. He had to hit him hard enough to break the hammers in the first place. Not amazing feat wise, but the feats were there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
    deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm scared to read it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I read it

Juggernaut=Celestial lvl durability clearly

Wolverine has what I think is the Phoenix force, the art is so wonky its hard to tell lol

No Caption Provided

hey at least we get more feats for Old King Thor & I guess we can see how the Phoenix force scales off to Galactus since OKT will fight both

IceHeart_30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So we are unanimously agreeing that OKT stuff is the only good thing in this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So we are unanimously agreeing that OKT stuff is the only good thing in this.

yes I'm only reading this for feats for Loki and Old King Thor

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Lvenger

Agreed with the general consensus, the present day Thor story was cringy nonsense and the Old King Thor backup was the most interesting thing. Aaron needs to step down as Thor writer, he’s long overstayed his welcome. Maybe the next writer will ignore or retcon all the damage he’s done to Thor.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a shame because Aaron's writing on OKT shows he can write a good Thor, but instead we're getting god of hammers

Azmoddan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Azmoddan

@lvenger said:

Agreed with the general consensus, the present day Thor story was cringy nonsense and the Old King Thor backup was the most interesting thing. Aaron needs to step down as Thor writer, he’s long overstayed his welcome. Maybe the next writer will ignore or retcon all the damage he’s done to Thor.

This.

Reading this issue i literally felt like i was reading Aarons 2011 Hulk run, from the massive inconsistencies, to cringe moments, to even the weird and confusing artwork following him... I don't wanna harp too much on the artist, i am sure some people appreciate their art but this just doesn't fit a Thor book IMO.

For a moment i actually thought Loki and Thor were sucking faces here lol

No Caption Provided

Yea i think we desperately need Aaron off Thor.

The worst part is probably the fact that we need to wait 4 issues now until we go back to Old King Thor... which was by far the only interesting part.

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Toratorn

@phillip33: he didn't "casually" beat Namor. In fact, two pages later he says he had a "hard day of smiting" and needed a drink.

Hell, we don't even know if he actually beat him. They could just as well had cleared-up the confusion and walked away from the fight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

don't like Phoenix Wolverine but I like the Phoenix.

I guess he will be expelled from the Phoenix and Thor will sacrifice himself to beat Phoenix but he cannot kill her.

Phoenix needs to rebuild the Universe.

Eeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Eeef

Aaron needs to quit writing Thor, his new issues are starting to get ludicrous.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toratorn: all the context points to him beating manor after their dialogue exchange.... and you yourself just said he came back after a hard day of smiting, which doesn’t mean the battle itself was hard since everything appears to happen in one day anyway.

And he returned with no damage after joking around with a clearly pissed off namor, I don’t think it’d be a stretch to say he beat him casually.

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phillip33: he looked "undamaged" after fighting Juggernaut as well. Despite, you know, Juggernaut beating the shit out of him in the first portion of the fight.

So now we are basing outcomes of the fights based on pre-battle dialogue? What a bunch of nonsense.

The fight happened off-panel and we have 0 idea whatsoever about how exactly it went and how exactly it ended. Anything beyond that is basically headcanons and wishful thinking.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phillip33

@toratorn: yea, and juggernaut landed a whole 2 punches on him... I wouldn’t call that beating the shit out of him. Thor was visibly afraid of juggernaut before receiving all of his hammers. He never showed even a semblance of those emotions against namor.

We know a few things undeniably. Thor invaded manors homeland, namor was pissed trying to keep him out, Thor was joking around, and Thor came out undamaged and with what he came for. It’s safe to assume that thor went in not expecting much trouble, had a fight (noted by a long day of smiting) and came out just fine.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

What about the supposed last shard of Mjolnir for a source for a new hammer? Think Aaron forgot about it? And did Thor just leave Jarnbjorn there or something after Juggs punched him? It looked like it.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What about the supposed last shard of Mjolnir for a source for a new hammer? Think Aaron forgot about it? And did Thor just leave Jarnbjorn there or something after Juggs punched him? It looked like it.

Aaron is the same guy who forgets that the Mjolnir was forged in the sun so..yeah :3

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 god_spawn  Moderator
    brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@brucerogers: Because cmon guys, it’s the sun.

Lul, he actually responded with that on Twitter.

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only interesting thing in this issue is King Thor

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Kind of sad given how well Aaron started way back with the God killer arc. Least MCU is treating the thunderer better.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

This

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 god_spawn  Moderator
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@god_spawn: He actually had Captain Marvel bring warp grenades that would teleport to the sun to deal with the Celestials. Because not even the Celestials can survive the sun, because it's the sun -_-

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 god_spawn  Moderator

@lvenger: the hell....? This is just becoming a joke at this point.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It's funny how things can turn around. Aaron was the writer that started off his run in an amazing way, wrote a few amazing stories, made Thor seem the all powerful being he is and now all of a sudden he is not interested in all of that, forgot everything he did with Thor and just writes him as a clown... NICE!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue wasn't bad

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a bad issue. Kinda rediculous that thor couldn’t bust a tiny bridge on his own.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a bad issue. Kinda rediculous that thor couldn’t bust a tiny bridge on his own.

Yeah funny how thor is worried how to destroy a bridge.

Also the art is really bad IMO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor 2018 Chapter 2

wow, this chapter was actually good.

Queen of Cinders is cool, the stuff with Thor, Baldur and Tyr was good, Loki being treated like the biggest evil ever was funny and Hela's return+Fenrir was pretty badass.

the stuff with hammers was annoying (did another hammer melted???), Karnilla having a rocket launcher was stupid as well and the fact that Thor cannot simply destroy the bridge was retarded.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^

Bonecrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im in a tiny minority but I am enjoying this book including the art. it’s reading like a reimagining of Thor without the dreaded reboot culminating in a story arc that sees him rediscover the god within without even the need of his trusted hammer.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I got the new Thor run because I said if he returned i would back the character yet wow...the story is horrible the artwork bad and its like he is not even trying. Thor seems week his support characters out of character and Loki one of my favorite support characters for Thor seems hollow and lacking same could be said of Odin and Thor himself. Like is Jason even trying to write a story or just pick up a check. I hate to say it but if it continues I may have to drop not only this but a long list of comics I have started to read again one of such is the avengers where as she Hulk has become boring and cring worthy. I thought Avengers started great but wow did it go down hill.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Emm, no it was not good, the second issue was just as bad as the first, and the art hurts my eyes.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It’s not bad, it’s fine. I like old king Thor and he had some good feasts against juggy. The hammer thing was stupid but whatever.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Odin why he feels like he has to attack Odin is beyond me.

Avatar image for theriogodofrage
    TherioGodofRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, this thought just crossed my mind. The #1 for this new Thor run, Thor is searching for weapons of Asgard that got scattered because Asgardia blew up in the sun yea?

How are those weapons still intact when Mjolnir, the greatest weapon in the Nine Realms, gets destroyed instantly? Dafuq Jason Aaron?!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Duriel

Aaron really needs to get off Thor... Is he consciously nerfing Thor at this point or does he just not care? In Thors own run which has been going on for only 2 issues now, Thor almost dies twice to things he should never die to or even be harmed by(falling on sharp rocks and poisoned water). And now in the Avengers issue he almost dies to the freaking cold that She Hulk not only easily survived but actually saved Thors life by sharing her body/gamma heat with.

It's actually getting frustrating to read Thor, i just want to read a fun cosmic adventure which this was supposed to be but the art, the story, the characters and the constant reminder that stupid crap can almost kill Thor, just kills the whole thing for me. This is not the way a high tier character should be written.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duriel: yeah, true.

Gods cannot be killed by conventional means and sharp rock shouldn't be able to kill him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is Jason Aaron still writing Thor? It's been 4 years of nonsense and constant nerfs and embarrassments. It's not even fun anymore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly, the amount of low end feats he got during the past 3-4 years, I daresay he ain't a top tier character anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.