Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8624 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor (In Other Media) Discussion

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@thor-parker:

Who would you like to see take on Thor who could do a faithful and serious take on him ?

Not Zack (flavor of the week) Snyder... He is just another mediocre director with an incredible ego.

You may not like the tone and i absolutely dislike most of the creative decisions for the next movie, but the hard truth is that you will not find a better director than Taika that would want to make a comic book movie.

My fav. Denis Villeneuve has no interest.

Thor's direct competition (Superman) and IMO did a good job with Man of Steel.

Snyder made such a good job with Superman that the character ended in CW, and Aquaman is getting a Spin-off!?

And, again Thor's worldbuilding is nothing like Superman.

I said this so many time in Thor forums, one thing is to tell stories with a surviving character from dead world/pantheon, other is to actually portray all that world/pantheon in modern times linked to cinematic shared universe.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@thor-parker:

Who would you like to see take on Thor who could do a faithful and serious take on him ?

Not Zack (flavor of the week) Snyder... He is just another mediocre director with an incredible ego.

You may not like the tone and i absolutely dislike most of the creative decisions for the next movie, but the hard truth is that you will not find a better director than Taika that would want to make a comic book movie.

Snyder made such a good job with Superman that the character ended in CW, and Aquaman is getting a Spin-off!?

I said this so many time in Thor forums, one thing is to tell stories with a surviving character from dead world/pantheon, other is to actually portray all that world/pantheon in modern times linked to cinematic shared universe.

Yeah, after what you and @rajjarsalt showed me, it really seems like Snyder is just salty about the MCU success and the fact that he hasn't been able to replicate it lol.

As for Taika, I love his movies I've seen, I loved Ragnarok, I'm just saying a non-humorous take would be appreciated, and Taika isn't the man for a dark and serious take.

I know Snyder's Superman wasn't succesful lol, I'm just saying I personally liked Man of Steel and its serious dark-ish tone, and would like to see a Thor portrayal in that vein.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fe1f08e8f9af
    deactivated-5fe1f08e8f9af

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor-parker: Why people would be salty of the MCU? Popcorn quality Ragnarok lmao.

But this is rich coming from a braindead fanboy who just watches things off a logo, and thinks Ragnarok > V For Vendetta or TDK.

@asgaard said:

@thor-parker:

Of course, Denis comes from WB and has no time to waste with popcorn tier and boring ass characters like Thor.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never really understood War of the Realms motivations of most of Thor antagonists, except for Ulik, for him Midgard is the obvious expansion realm.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see how Love and Thunder will function properly as a movie. It seems to me that there are way too many things going to to give any of them the depth of story to actually function properly. Just some of the things the movie has to cover

• Rebuilding of Asgard
    • Jane Thor
    • Thor's Unworthyness
    • Expanding on the concept of gods
    • Gorr

And that's without counting how all of Asgaard's characters are completely spread out. We don't know where the hell Sif or Jane is, Valkyrie is on Asgaard and Thor is off in space with the Guardians. That seems like way too much to balance to me and either like 2 of these things will get a decent focus and everything else will fall behind or they'll try to split attention to everything and nothing will feel developed.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also interested to see what you guys think of Craig Kyle's(Worked on Thor 2&3) description of Odin here

No Caption Provided

I really wish we had gotten to see more of Odin fighting destiny instead of... what we got, which was really nothing.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

@kevd4wg: I much prefer that we didn’t see him fight. I like to think of him as an unbelievably powerful entity that you couldn’t properly represent on screen.

See that’s the thing with franchises that utilize like, supposedly all powerful gods and pantheons from say, the Norse or Greek mythology. The actual stories as they are in the lore of the ancients did not involve much action from the gods. I completely understand why people would want to see that in movies and stuff more often, but I really like the concept of them just being so unchallenged in their universe that you don’t see them act like that, they are a powerful but subtle presence. Because otherwise, it’d be very easy to demystify them.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: I didn't mean fight destiny in a literal sense... that would be kinda stupid imo. I agree that I think seeing an Odin fight on screen would be pretty stupid - there's no real way to do it properly imo.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 anthp2000  Moderator

@kevd4wg: I didn't actually see the word "destiny" in your post, I just saw fighting and connected that to the scan you posted commenting on how powerful he was. Lol, my bad.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: I didn't actually see the word "destiny" in your post, I just saw fighting and connected that to the scan you posted commenting on how powerful he was. Lol, my bad.

Nah you're good lol, I actually think they did a pretty good job of portraying Odin as powerful.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 anthp2000  Moderator

@kevd4wg: Agreed. Which speaking of, the scene where he appears in Jotunheim reminds me why I liked Branagh’s Thor so much. It all felt very epic.

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
    asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kevd4wg: I much prefer that we didn’t see him fight. I like to think of him as an unbelievably powerful entity that you couldn’t properly represent on screen.

See that’s the thing with franchises that utilize like, supposedly all powerful gods and pantheons from say, the Norse or Greek mythology. The actual stories as they are in the lore of the ancients did not involve much action from the gods. I completely understand why people would want to see that in movies and stuff more often, but I really like the concept of them just being so unchallenged in their universe that you don’t see them act like that, they are a powerful but subtle presence. Because otherwise, it’d be very easy to demystify them.

there was a concept art of Odin fighting...and it was very bad, glad they didn´t include it

btw yes i agree 100% with you

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: Agreed. Which speaking of, the scene where he appears in Jotunheim reminds me why I liked Branagh’s Thor so much. It all felt very epic.

Yeah if only we got more of his Asgaard.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

I don't see how Love and Thunder will function properly as a movie. It seems to me that there are way too many things going to to give any of them the depth of story to actually function properly. Just some of the things the movie has to cover

• Rebuilding of Asgard
    • Jane Thor
    • Thor's Unworthyness
    • Gorr

And that's without counting how all of Asgaard's characters are completely spread out. We don't know where the hell Sif or Jane is, Valkyrie is on Asgaard and Thor is off in space with the Guardians. That seems like way too much to balance to me and either like 2 of these things will get a decent focus and everything else will fall behind or they'll try to split attention to everything and nothing will feel developed.

I'm pretty sure Thor won't be unworthy, they'll just find some way for Jane to get Mjolnir that doesn't involve Thor becoming unworthy.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

• Rebuilding of Asgard
    • Jane Thor
    • Thor's Unworthyness
    • Gorr

I'm pretty sure Thor won't be unworthy, they'll just find some way for Jane to get Mjolnir that doesn't involve Thor becoming unworthy.

This is my hope, we already had a Thor movie dealing with him being unworthy for a good part of the run time, and I think it would turn off a lot of the potential audience to rehash that plot point again.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor-parker: @antithetical:Yeah that would definitely help the movie so I hope they go that route as well. I will be interested to see how they make MCU Jane worthy being believable since at least 616 Jane was a lot more worthy than what we've seen from MCU Jane so far.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: I was just thinking that since the idea of alternate timelines and universes has been introduced in the MCU, and Aaron's run had Ultimate Thor's hammer end up in the main Marvel universe, they could go that route and avoid the unworthy cliche' altogether. Also adapt Cate's current arc of Blake hunting down anyone who has ever been a Thor and instead of having Gorr killing all the gods in this universe, he's obsessed with eliminating every Thor in the multiverse, with an alternate Mjolnir entering the main MCU for Jane to use.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

afasasfa

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
    asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

@thor-parker: @antithetical:Yeah that would definitely help the movie so I hope they go that route as well. I will be interested to see how they make MCU Jane worthy being believable since at least 616 Jane was a lot more worthy than what we've seen from MCU Jane so far.

A possibility is them using time travel sheninigans

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... Love and Thunder...I was pressured to watch it, and i in the end i did watch it...

Are we back to Dark World level? Interesting, no?

What could have caused this massive downgrade from Ragnarok? Same director, more time to production and editing because of the Covid delays.

Force (AGAIN) Jane into Thor/ Asgard world building? This time as female Thor? That wasn't for sure, because that criticism isn't valid, you know the misogyny label...

Unlike Dark World, this new chapter actually has traces of an amazing Thor movie, but to fit some creative decisions Taika had to constantly downgrade the world building to spoof, something that Taika can come close but in regular basis knows how to avoid it.

Even if Jane as female Thor was Taika's creative decision, he clearly did not anticipate the execution.

Actually no grudge on Taika and specially not on Chris H., yes we probably will never get that Thor movie that we anticipated for so many years now, but we do see dedication from both.

For more specifics, at certain point i was like, shit the mother storm is actually going to show up?

To define that better that spoof line, Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder worked, the sentient hammers just didn't, in any medium basically. lol

I could go on and on, but i don't have time and not sure if i still care enough, even if i felt that the Mcu might eventually go Here!?

Which is kinda bold, at a certain point Feige was ashamed to call Thor a God.

Sif!? I wanted her not to show up, (going in i had no idea of any of the production details, since i don't follow the Mcu for some years now), and when it comes to marvel be it comics or live action, sometimes is just better to not be portrayed, specially a character that just doesn't care if someone calls her a Lady.

Now she just kinda show up, so i guess i don't even formed any opinion about her role cameo, by the way her arm valhalla joke did land. Will she get the destroyer arm now!? Yeah better just not think about it?

Probably better just save her for like 10-15 years in the future, where the franchise gets rebooted, and instead of getting female versions of male characters we do get Sif, Angela and Amora being as cool as Hela in Ragnarok.

Now i do have Cate's run in pause (definitely going back where i stopped), not sure if he saw the movie, or knew its plot/details, but how he going to fix the hammer in the comics may translate to live action and define Mjolnir for the foreseeable future.

So no pressure Donny, just make it something GODLY INSANE, you got the imagination and range for sure...

To finish, i as a Thor comics hardcore fan, declare not have any problem with Thor having an adopted daughter, its kinda cool, as long you don't make it a female version of him. lol

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By phisigmatau

@asgaard:

Sup it's a ghost town here

I didnt think it was a bad movie

Coulda been much better

Director think he funnier then he rly is

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Agreed with a lot of what you said, sentient hammers just doesn't work in any way, shape or form, leave them as just weapons. It's even worse in the MCU because there was never any indication or hint that the weapons were sentient, and out of nowhere they just became sentient for some reason. It didn't feel right. Well, I guess it does track with the comics and how Aaron turned Mjolnir like that out of nowhere.

Also, when I came out of the theater I liked the movie, I re-watched it and still liked it but saw some flaws, however, the more I think about the movie, the less I like it. I just keep seeing more flaws and how it further damaged Thor's mythos, image and reputation in the eyes of general audience. He's basically a powerful clown, a good hearted idiot, and those adjectives should never be associated with Thor.

I fear he is just too tainted now in the eyes of the world after the Endgame fiasco and now this movie. I honestly wish he had died in Infinity War, that way he'd still be thought of as a badass warrior god, not the joke he is now.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor-parker:

Have you played the new God of War game?

Pretty good stuff, specially the worldbuilding, lets be honest, its probably the last nail in coffin, of Mcu Thor, Asgard and the Nine Realms, sure its other medium, but some concepts about Norse mythology worked so well, that the current Norse live action stuff from Marvel becomes negligible.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@thor-parker:

Have you played the new God of War game?

Pretty good stuff, specially the worldbuilding, lets be honest, its probably the last nail in coffin, of Mcu Thor, Asgard and the Nine Realms, sure its other medium, but some concepts about Norse mythology worked so well, that the current Norse live action stuff from Marvel becomes negligible.

Not yet my friend, I am really eager to play it. Will give you my thoughts once I do.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.