Follow

Dragon Ball Universe

Concept » Dragon Ball Universe appears in 185 issues.

The shared universe between some of the works of Akira Toriyama such as Dragonball, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, Dr Slump, Neko Majin, and other one shot mangas.

DBS Manga vs Anime

• 73 results
    DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Which do you prefer so far? There are a lot of minor differences between the two. But besides the voice acting, I find it hard to watch Super. I've enjoyed the (albeit few) chapters a lot more than I have the show. I find it strange that the show is taking priority though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b57e3c01b199
    deactivated-5b57e3c01b199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga is a lot better paced and nicely drawn. The anime just progresses too slow

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga is better by a mile and cuts straight to the point.

Barodas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Barodas

The anime has nice feats in BoG saga but after that I prefer the manga adaptation, but it might change since the anime seems to be catching up with the manga(quality) so the quality of the anime should improve or at least be the same as Beerus vs Goku SSG/SSJ fight.

Edit*

I'll take the anime now over the manga for me the quality of the manga is getting worse especially with the way it decided to treat its charaters.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime

The manga is (ironically) too fast paced IMO and the anime has provided some of the best moments so far (ssj Satan ftw)

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999: (ssj Satan ftw)

Yeah that was golden :D

Red King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999: That sounds like filler and last I checked anise fans despise those. Unless DB gets a pass now. ;)

For DragonBall I'll always stick to the manga.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They both go hand and hand the Manga gets straight to the point and tha anime fills in the blanks.

SoWhatsUp435

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think anime is better to watch. Manga gets boring

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44 said:

They both go hand and hand the Manga gets straight to the point and tha anime fills in the blanks.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Manga ends too fast.

But so does the anime/\

zzagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:
    @theman44 said:

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the animation like way below average for 2015/2016?

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zzagirl said:
    @micah said:
    @theman44 said:

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By micah007123

@jonez120: For a few parts of BOG and a majority of ROF yes.

Gojira2512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga is better.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice catch! Gotta feel a little for those living on that planet :_: Beerus op

SSbardock84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pace for the manga is too fast. The anime has been like that too but they're going slower now. But the manga is way too fast. I like the anime better so far.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zzagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez120 said:

Isn't the animation like way below average for 2015/2016?

For logical reasons, yes.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Manga is incomparably superior. The comparison is not even close.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Easy the movies are surperior to both

zzagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

BoG movie is superior in some ways, while RoF was complete, and utter garbage.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zzagirl said:
    @jgames said:

BoG movie is superior in some ways, while RoF was complete, and utter garbage.

Funny I thought the first half of BoG was garbage, and love RoF. THat just show people have different opinion.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unbreakable_fs4: You'd be surprised. Some people love the show for some reason.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: Yeah, I truly don't get what's so attractive about the show.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mike_Fowler

@unbreakable_fs4: If people can love RoF (for whatever reason) are you surprised that people love this?

Anyways, two words: CHARACTERIZATION and WORLD-BUILDING

In terms of these, it's actually giving proper characterization to characters (from beerus, to tagoma (which was wasted, but still), to even Gohan).

World-Building: this is where the anime (and to a lesser extent, the manga) excels at. It's actually taking advantage of expanding upon the dragon universe

And let's not forget the legendary super Satan

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999 said:

@unbreakable_fs4: If people can love RoF (for whatever reason) are you surprised that people love this?

Anyways, two words: CHARACTERIZATION and WORLD-BUILDING

In terms of these, it's actually giving proper characterization to characters (from beerus, to tagoma (which was wasted, but still), to even Gohan).

World-Building: this is where the anime (and to a lesser extent, the manga) excels at. It's actually taking advantage of expanding upon the dragon universe

And let's not forget the legendary super Satan

Most people who love the movie still hate DBS. Also lots of people like and hate BoG, and lot of people hate and love RoF. To be fair there plenty to like and not love. The problem with BoG is that is not funny for the most part, it was like seeing dragonball which I personally was not a huge fan of the first half, with Pilaf gang being annoying as hell. Add in the disappointing ssj god transformation that look awful and a purple cat as the main villain, and the same master roshi plot reuse, it easy to see why people were disappointed with the movie. Granted the action were awesome, Beerus is a fun character who is not a straight up villain, also the best scene from the movie

Loading Video...

GOD DAMN YOU SUPER, you took out the best thing from BoG XD.

One of the best thing about BoG also was the fact that they expanded the DBZ universe with so much possibility. You have no idea how excited I was for them to travel to other universes and battle other god, only to see that they revive frieza instead with a lame color transformation. Granted I was pleasantly surprised by the movie since it was actually funny unlike the BoG, it had great action scene while having good character interaction and felt very DBZ. It was basically fan service. While they could had just went with them traveling to other universe or showing how they got their ssj blue transformation, instead of a pointless detour of a villain, there was a point to the movie. I will agree that RoF does seem like a pointless arc, but it did gave fan hope, that DBZ can still deliver what they are known for, letting us know that they can still be fun and action pack. The movie was for fan who were dissapointed by BoG and to give fan the same nostalgia feeling they have watching the original. I won't pretend movie does not have problem, the ending could had been much better if vegeta kill frieza, they never explain Goku transformation, the cg look out of place at time, Gohan is super weak and etc, but it did gave DBZ fan some reassurance that the movie/show will still like the DBZ they grew up with, and not Dragon Ball GT.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames:

"Most people who love the movie still hate DBS. Also lots of people like and hate BoG, and lot of people hate and love RoF."

Uh, I know, I wasn't saying that those who like the movie would like super. I was saying that if some people could love the movies, it's not a surprise that others could love supet

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999 said:

@jgames:

"Most people who love the movie still hate DBS. Also lots of people like and hate BoG, and lot of people hate and love RoF."

Uh, I know, I wasn't saying that those who like the movie would like super. I was saying that if some people could love the movies, it's not a surprise that others could love supet

Yeah but that sound like you saying DBS is better then RoF XD. Well whatever more power to you or other people.

zzagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zzagirl

@jgames said:

Most people who love the movie still hate DBS.

Most people, huh?... Heh.

Add in the disappointing ssj god transformation that look awful and a purple cat as the main villain, and the same master roshi plot reuse, it easy to see why people were disappointed with the movie.

Guess we're going to just ignore that transformations have always been simple since the Saiyan arc, and that we had a giant cicada, pink goop, and human-look-a-likes with monkey tails used as villains.

the ending could had been much better if vegeta kill frieza

No, it wouldn't have been.

they never explain Goku transformation

Can't, it was a 2 hr movie.

Gohan is super weak

Logical reasons as to how he actually became weak.

Tbh, I normally turn a blind eye to some of the things people say, but the complaints you've made are similar to what people on that atrocious site MAL have. If you like RoF, you like it. At least DBS actually expanded, fixed, and made some of the errors from the movie. I honestly can't believe people actually liked this movie over BoG, lol. Almost as bad as DB Movie 11 tbh.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jgames

@zzagirl said:
    @jgames said:

Add in the disappointing ssj god transformation that look awful and a purple cat as the main villain, and the same master roshi plot reuse, it easy to see why people were disappointed with the movie.

Guess we're going to just ignore that transformations have always been simple since the Saiyan arc, and that we had a giant cicada, pink goop, and human-look-a-likes with monkey tails used as villains.

Gohan is super weak

Tbh, I normally turn a blind eye to some of the things people say, but the complaints you've made are similar to what people on that atrocious site MAL have. If you like RoF, you like it. At least DBS actually expanded, fixed, and made some of the errors from the movie. I honestly can't believe people actually liked this movie over BoG, lol. Almost as bad as DB Movie 11 tbh.

DBS had horrible animation and expanded on something that manage to keep the story under 2 hour, which is why DBS fail. Again BoG was painfully unfunny with Pilaf and the gang, while RoF was actually funny with great fight scene. I mean seeing the DBZ cast fighting was amazing, as we usually don't see other character fight. Also the introduction to Jaco was great. It also had Goku kill a villain which does not happen often cannon wise actually as he only mange to kill Kid buu and that one alien creature in the buu saga cannon wise. The movie does show Goku flaws and actually have him see the consequences. Also SSJ and SSJ2 transformation has to be one of the best moment in DBZ. So to hear about a ssjgod and being excited about it only to see what basically is Goku turning kai-o-ken was dissapointing. Not to mention BoG was slow. RoF again gave almost the opposite of what BoG did which might be why there seem to be a split with people who like RoF and BoG. One expand the universe, while one seem like a pointless, but fun filler.

The flaws I am pointing out are the one most people made, not my personal like Gohan being weak, but that was cringe worthy for most fan of Gohan. Also your reason is basically no, no and no.

zzagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:
    @zzagirl said:
    @jgames said:

Gohan is super weak

The flaws I am pointing out are the one most people made, not my personal like Gohan being weak, but that was cringe worthy for most fan of Gohan. Also your reason is basically no, no and no.

DBS had horrible animation and expanded on something that manage to keep the story under 2 hour, which is why DBS fail.

Logical reasons for this.

Again BoG was painfully unfunny with Pilaf and the gang, while RoF was actually funny with great fight scene.

Pilaf wasn't funny, you're right. The others were though, especially Vegeta's interactions with Beerus and the cast after he arrived. RoF's comedic scenes were the obvious pizza interruption from Beerus, and Goku and Vegeta's scrabble. Everything else was extremely dull... and the only decent fight scene was Base Goku going against Freeza.

I mean seeing the DBZ cast fighting was amazing, as we usually don't see other character fight

Fan service of course, but it worked much better in Super.

It also had Goku kill a villain which does not happen often cannon wise actually as he only mange to kill Kid buu and that one alien creature in the buu saga cannon wise.

So you're going to forget about Demon King Piccolo's death, and also ignore the fact that Goku almost never wants to kill his enemies, no matter how evil they are? (Do I need to post the scan of Goku's expression when he blasted Freeza with the one-handed Kamehameha?)

The movie does show Goku flaws and actually have him see the consequences.

This has been shown in the manga, and BoG as well. It was only commented on by Whis, since he has a new instructor.

Also SSJ and SSJ2 transformation has to be one of the best moment in DBZ.

Why are we ignoring the SSJ3's transformation now? I mean, look at this scan!

No Caption Provided

So to hear about a ssjgod and being excited about it only to see what basically is Goku turning kai-o-ken was dissapointing

You disappointed yourself, actually, because Toriyama has always done his work simply. Goku's SSJ & SSJ2 transformations were nothing but his hair being drawn risen with yellow dye and blue pupils. Don't judge a book by it's cover is how Toriyama has always done his characters in DB.

Not to mention BoG was slow.

Really? Would you have preferred if Beerus and Whis just appeared on Earth without a backstory involved? He gave a small backstory, did some world building, and showed how much different Beerus was compared to Dragonball's past antagonists. There was nothing wrong with the pacing.

RoF again gave almost the opposite of what BoG did which might be why there seem to be a split with people who like RoF and BoG

You're right, it did. It was like watching Broly Second Coming all over again, because the idea of the movie itself was garbage, unoriginal, and very disappointing after the Mystery villain was revealed to be Freeza. At least they showed off two new transformations, and new attire designs. Two positives are better than none, right?

Too bad, Gohan fans needed a wake up call. A lot of them, especially on YT and Reddit, were stuck in the Nostalgia of Gohan bullying Cell around with a sadistic expression. Toriyama had Gohan remain in-character from Cell Saga to present, but people don't ever think about that.

I agree with you, that the animation and art were inconsistent for the first part of DBS, but I do not agree with your thought process on BoG.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: I'll never see a one can call ssjg "kaioken" the two literally look nothing alike besides being the color red (and not even the same "red" coloring).

It's like saying dodoria and boo are the same XD

SSbardock84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

Agreed, its too bad we couldn't have that quality for the anime series. That would of been awesome. I miss the original DBZ animation though.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
    deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga

bump

heh heh heh

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movies>manga>anime

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny how much things have changed since then lol. The anime is leaps and bounds better than the manga now.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By removekebab
    No Caption Provided

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga

+Art

+SSB is not another SS you can activate whenever you want

+Flashbacks of Beerus/Champa fight +And Buu Saga in future timeline

+Goku is not a moron who forgets everything

+Using Solar Flare, move that was known in Z to run the plot giving heroes time to escape/charge move etc.

+Frost could not actually be bad

-Ruining Hit

-And Black characters

-Plot twist with Black/Zamasu was executed too fast

-There is no full RoF Saga

-Return of SSG (why Toyotaro??)

-Fight with Beerus was to fast

Anime

+SSB/Kaioken mix

+Better villains (Hit, Black)

+Showing abilities better like Hits dimension thingy or Beerus hakai destroying soul

+Slice of life episodes

+Fights are more interesting and show more abilities (Beerus energy manipulation, Hits improvement, etc.)

-Using gas to escape

-Trunks Buu Saga flashback

-Using Goku as a dumb PIS device who forgets everything

-SSB is a new SS (Goku really needed to transform into SSB in Kurilin training episodes?)

-Is Frost a good guy or not? I wanted him to be good.

-RoF was a mistake

I will edit after new chapter or when i recall something new

Avatar image for freshflintstone
    FreshFlintstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny how much things have changed since then lol. The anime is leaps and bounds better than the manga now.

GunsNRoses23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GunsNRoses23

both are terrible for me

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johncena69swag said:

Not really...

The universe 6 arc was better in the manga imo, and the black arc isn't over yet in the manga so we can't compare yet, but so far I like the manga version better if you only count the parts that it has go to.

both are terrible for me

I would say I almost agree with this. The manga is good, but it is so fast paced and short it is almost ruined by that. It's like it's a spinoff instead of an actual manga. If it was a fleshed out weakly manga, then it would be great.

The anime has so many plot holes, inconsistencies, and bad art/animation it is really frustrating, but it has had its moments. Lets hope the next arc is actually good.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@removekebab: still find it funny how hypocritical that person was at the end XD

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#47 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

The manga is much better, but it's pace is too fast and we are all already kind of spoiled before reading it since the anime comes out first. Toyotaro is amazing.

The only plus for the anime was kaio-ken x10 in the Goku vs Hit fight, but it was eventually squandered and not allowed to end on a high note.

Thedarkpaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, neither are outstanding. That said, I do prefer the manga for obvious reasons.

Avatar image for nemesisreloaded
    NemesisReloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the anime, mostly because the manga is so short on detail. The Manga does have details the anime doesn't contain but largely its the other way around. This isn't because they're dragging things out and needing to fill the space either. DBS has been pretty fast paced in terms of story, kinda like the manga used to be. I also know the manga to be wrong on the point of not absorbing the power of the SSG into their base, Toriyama had that happen and Beerus win so that there was a sense of Battle of Gods moving on to something else. The Anime is also wrong on the count of Resurrection R, but the manga is only half done in that regard.

I think, somewhere between them is Toriyamas true vision but as it is, and mostly down to the lack of detail and not giving the story room to breath in the manga, I prefer the anime.

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freshflintstone said:
    @johncena69swag said:

Not really...

The universe 6 arc was better in the manga imo, and the black arc isn't over yet in the manga so we can't compare yet, but so far I like the manga version better if you only count the parts that it has go to.

Eh it started to turn around in favor of the anime with Hit(arguably at Magetta) and hasn't come back since. Hit sucked in the manga. There's no doubt about that. He didn't have the same characterization that the anime gave him and I know Goku seems dumber in the anime, but fighting-wise he is as much a genius as ever. In the manga he was stupid and used ssg (which is supposed to need five other saiyans) instead of using ssb when he clearly figured out that more power was the only way around Hit. At least in the anime he had a good reason for not jumping straight into kaioken. The whole fight was also choreographed beautifully in the anime.

The black arc really isn't even arguable. The anime did a fantastic job. The only complaints I see are that "Goku is stupid" and "OMG P0w3r L3v3lzz". Goku is stupid yeah, but that's the only legitimate complaint against the sea of praise the anime deserves. IMO I found the humor in this arc to be pretty funny and didn't mind it at all. Anyway, I think the manga did a terrible job with Black. The anime had episodes and episodes of mystery with trying to figure out everything about him, but the longer it took the stronger he would become. His presence was truly ominous and he actually felt like a villain. In the manga his identity was almost immediately revealed to be Zamasu. That completely took away what was IMO the best scene in the entire series: the fight with black where we first see super saiyan rose. In the manga it happened much later after we already know just about everything and he just doesn't have the same effect. The manga didn't even have a good reason for Zamasu to want to switch bodies with Goku. He saw him on godtube? Ok he saw him losing to another mortal and he also saw what looks like Monaka defeating that other mortal in one blow. Goku was far from the most impressive mortal on godtube.

There's also the fact that anime is intrinsically a more immersive medium for storytelling than a manga is. The manga doesn't have the same amazing voice acting from Zamasu and black, nor does it have scores like the black goku theme.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.