Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8882 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Problems with the DCAU Wonder Woman

• 102 results
    modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By modernww2fare  Online

I've read a lot of complaints about how Bruce Timm and Co. wrote her or rather didn't handle her correctly. How does this wonder woman compare to her comic book counterparts? is she better? worse? share your opinions, kids.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@modernww2fare: well they had her on about par with Superman in terms of power level if that's what you're asking, which is about right with the comics too. In saying that all the super powered characters were/are nerfed a bit in the animated world's too. So I'd say at least in terms of powers she's about right, but that's relative to the rest if the characters.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 modernww2fare  Online

@modernww2fare: well they had her on about par with Superman in terms of power level if that's what you're asking, which is about right with the comics too. In saying that all the super powered characters were/are nerfed a bit in the animated world's too. So I'd say at least in terms of powers she's about right, but that's relative to the rest if the characters.

Alrighty

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Well I'm not a WW expert but one of the things that I always didnt like about WW in JL and JLU was her personality. It was too plain for me. In the other films she came out in especially in Justice League Doom I felt that's how her personality should have been more.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. They focused too much on one aspect of her personality, her warrior spirit/ toughness. There was little sweetness, compassion, or nurturing in her portrayal.
    2. She was treated like arm candy for Batman, but then that whole series was Batfocused.
    3. As mentioned, she was nerfed, though no more than every other super powered character.
    4. Often, she really just faded into the background, she rarely ever felt like the "central" character or did anything to stand out.
    deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo said:
    1. They focused too much on one aspect of her personality, her warrior spirit/ toughness. There was little sweetness, compassion, or nurturing in her portrayal.
    2. She was treated like arm candy for Batman, but then that whole series was Batfocused.
    3. As mentioned, she was nerfed, though no more than every other super powered character.
    4. Often, she really just faded into the background, she rarely ever felt like the "central" character or did anything to stand out.

F**K you Bruce Tim and Paul Dini

I personally wouldnt go that far, it was a highlight of my childhood lol. I wish toons like those were still on TV.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Nailed it!

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo said:

i agree

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Pretty much this, I would also add that of the main trinity, her rogues gallery was the least developed, what we remember about Cheetah was her being seduced by Batman (of course lol), Cersei forcing Batman to sing, Giganta making out with Flash.....

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wolfrazer  Online

@youknowwhattodo: Hades was pretty awesome in his only appearance though lol. Though I guess he wasn't exactly a central WW villain and more like a JL villain...but still though, the origins n so forth fit.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My only complaint was that they didn't do more with her, but the story beats they included never felt inconsistent to me. Honestly, they just spent a lot more time on Hawkgirl and Green Lantern than one might expect, so WW didn't get as much focus as Bats and Supes.

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ownagepants

@fodigg: batman and superman best bros forever.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kidchipotle

Awesome. Claps for you.

I personally wouldnt go that far, it was a highlight of my childhood lol. I wish toons like those were still on TV.

Well, they do replay JL/JLU on saturday mornings on the CW :P (along with Spectacular Spider-Man and other shows such as anime related things.)

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No Caption Provided

Dude, when you get things right, you get things right

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ganon15

@ownagepants said:

@fodigg: batman and superman best bros forever.

The holy brothers of the DCAU lol. But yeah WW was inconsistent throughout the DCAU, like in "The Balance" when Hades claimed that he and Hippolyta sculpted WW out of clay yet in "Paradise Lost" we see that he had no idea Hippolyta even had a daughter to begin with. She would also, from time to time, be a misandrist like in "Fury" and "Hawk & Dove" yet she had noooooo problem getting it on with the Bat. Like others above me have mentioned, she also rarely showed some of her traditional character traits like kindness and compassion.

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15: And it was weird because everyone else got a lot of time in the spotlight hawkgirl had multiple arcs ww did not get nearly as much attention.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The Justice League show was great, as was her movie.Sure she was not the beast she should be and a little flat but she was still awesome. Watch Wonder Woman (The animated film 2010 I think) truly amazing.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ganon15

The Justice League show was great, as was her movie.Sure she was not the beast she should be and a little flat but she was still awesome. Watch Wonder Woman (The animated film 2010 I think) truly amazing.

2009* and yeah it was good. She was hot there :)

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

My only complaint was that they didn't do more with her, but the story beats they included never felt inconsistent to me. Honestly, they just spent a lot more time on Hawkgirl and Green Lantern than one might expect, so WW didn't get as much focus as Bats and Supes.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I didn't really have many problems with her. It was pretty annoying when she would say something "You men are all idiots" out of nowhere though

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty annoying when she would say something "You men are all idiots" out of nowhere though

That's what I meant.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: I mainly agree with your first point. I can understand DCAU WW is young and new to the world. But in series, Justice League spanned a few years. She should have grown emotionally a bit more. And no, not closer to Batman's crotch.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ganon15

@deaditegonzo: I mainly agree with your first point. I can understand DCAU WW is young and new to the world. But in series, Justice League spanned a few years. She should have grown emotionally a bit more. And no, not closer to Batman's crotch.

I really hated the romance between them.

No Caption Provided

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wolfrazer  Online

@savagedragon: I'm not a huge WW fan so I haven't fully seen the movie, though I did see the fight between her and so so and I gotta say I was disappointed in at a certain part of it, which was just completely dumb. (Trying to avoid spoilers for those who haven't seen)

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I never had any problems with her in the DCAU. The romance with Bruce never really amounted to much and didn't bother me, it made sense to me back then. Batman had the qualities I could see this interpretation go for. Batman was awesome on this show, the entire cast was good. It was a great cartoon and Diana was a good addition.

My only problem is that there weren't enough episodes with her villains/corner of the world. Her episodes were to me the most epic aside from the Superman villain focused episodes. We should have had more of those. Other then that, it just seems to me that the hate Diana had is just typical irrational batman hate.

Johnni_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It kind of sucks because everyone was pretty one dimensional. Bruce Timm said so himself. If you go back and watch John Stewart in the first couple of episodes........oh boy. It's probably what killed the character for me.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I never had any problems with her in the DCAU. The romance with Bruce never really amounted to much and didn't bother me, it made sense to me back then. Batman had the qualities I could see this interpretation go for. Batman was awesome on this show, the entire cast was good. It was a great cartoon and Diana was a good addition.

My only problem is that there weren't enough episodes with her villains/corner of the world. Her episodes were to me the most epic aside from the Superman villain focused episodes. We should have had more of those. Other then that, it just seems to me that the hate Diana had is just typical irrational batman hate.

I agree. Her episode with Hades was one of the most memorable for the first JL season.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_stegman  Moderator

...I liked her.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ganon15

It might as well have been called the BAU (Batman Animated Universe), or Batman and his bitches :)

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savagedragon: I'm not a huge WW fan so I haven't fully seen the movie, though I did see the fight between her and so so and I gotta say I was disappointed in at a certain part of it, which was just completely dumb. (Trying to avoid spoilers for those who haven't seen)

Cant say, not sure what part your talking about

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wolfrazer  Online
    SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: Still dont know what u mean (u can use spoiler tags) I suggest u watch it again if u havnt seen it start to finish. Imo its in the top 5 DC animated movies ever.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

@savagedragon: The bit where Ares just stands there like a moron and screams for Zeus

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ganon15

@wolfrazer said:

@savagedragon: The bit where Ares just stands there like a moron and screams for Zeus

My favorite part was when she had that huge street fight with Deimos with her shoes off and then she revealed her amor :) . Laughs aside, I still thought it was a well done movie. Would've been better if she could fly and if Susan Eisenberg did her voice. I don't think they ever explained where they got the invisible jet though.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Meh I loved this portrayal of her, and I really like BM/WW but each to his own.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By LyraFay

@ganon15 said:

@blackwind said:

No Caption Provided

Me too! I wish Catwoman or Talia would've showed up. It would have made for an interesting dynamic in the justice league especially when they see Batman being sympathetic to criminals, he should be dealing with.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ganon15

@toplel said:

There wasn't any real problem with her. She had decent character development. She adjusts to a new world. She learns to control her passion and compromises more easily. The way she talks evolves over the seasons and becomes less rigid. Her attempts to draw Batman out of his shell were amusing to watch. She just needed more episodes.

Sooo... she's a lovesick schoolgirl with anger problems? lol

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ganon15

@toplel said:

@ganon15: No, she went from a headstrong, regal warrior princess who is somewhat wary of men to being more human, who also happens to admire an admirable colleague.

She suffered from inconsistency from the simple fact that Bruce Timm and Co. admitted they didn't really know what to do with her (true story). And let's face it, compared to Hawkgirl, WW came off more flat in terms of character development and personality. I'd go as far as saying that even Batman:TBATB did a better job with her.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ganon15

@toplel said:

@ganon15: That's not inconsistency. The seeds of her development were there. It was subtle, but it was there. She just needed more time.

I mean inconsistency like, for example, when Hades said he and Hippolyta sculpted Wonder Woman out of clay in JLU, yet in "Paradise Lost" he had no idea Hippolyta even had a daughter. She never even used her iconic lasso of truth until MUCH later in "The Balance", and even after that she never used it's powers again. Apparently the writers somehow forgot all about it's powers.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay said:

@ganon15 said:

@blackwind said:

No Caption Provided

Me too! I wish Catwoman or Talia would've showed up. It would have made for an interesting dynamic in the justice league especially when they see Batman being sympathetic to criminals, he should be dealing with.

Yeah, after watching "The Savage Time" recently, I much prefer Diana with Steve Trevor over her and Bats. I think the perfect woman for Bats in the DCAU was Andrea, he was actually happy with her.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.