Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23795 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is Batman A Casual Bullet-Timer?

• 115 results
    brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Eh, he does have feats now and then but I don't think he is a casual one.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

not a battle

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

In all seriousness, that^ shouldn't have been possible. But then again.........he's Batman.

DSTREET45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think your casual bullet timers should be bumped down to just bullet timers, and your bullet timers should be bumped down to just aim dodgers. "Casual" is not the word I would use to describe the feats of those characters. Also, Daredevil and Elektra are not real bullet timers at all, and I don't think Taskmaster and Deadshot are (Deadshot has one, single bullet timing feat).

Just got into comics but I remember seeing a scan of Elektra blocking machine gun fire which her sai, catching a bullet, and blocking a shot from Black Widow posted on this site a few times. And for Daredevil I posted this in the Daredevil bullet dodging question thread.

Just recently got into the comics so there's a chance something else contradicts this but apparently his senses can track the bullets and the waves of air they push ahead allowing him to move away from it's path.

From
    From "The Man Without Fear" Issue #292

His reflexes might be heightened by his senses as well if he could actually perceive and react to those things.

But again I just got into comics recently so I don't know if this is contradicted.

I remember seeing a scan of Taskmaster catching a bullet during the UDON series (?) but IIRC that's was said to not be canon.

Anyway I'd like your input on this. Do any of these have context to them or are they just high end feats?

Cor_Tsar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No... Not casual... He can though.

comic_fan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh at times

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 pages later... still not a battle.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dstreet45 said:

@nickzambuto said:

I think your casual bullet timers should be bumped down to just bullet timers, and your bullet timers should be bumped down to just aim dodgers. "Casual" is not the word I would use to describe the feats of those characters. Also, Daredevil and Elektra are not real bullet timers at all, and I don't think Taskmaster and Deadshot are (Deadshot has one, single bullet timing feat).

Just got into comics but I remember seeing a scan of Elektra blocking machine gun fire which her sai, catching a bullet, and blocking a shot from Black Widow posted on this site a few times. And for Daredevil I posted this in the Daredevil bullet dodging question thread.

@dstreet45 said:

Just recently got into the comics so there's a chance something else contradicts this but apparently his senses can track the bullets and the waves of air they push ahead allowing him to move away from it's path.

From
    From "The Man Without Fear" Issue #292

His reflexes might be heightened by his senses as well if he could actually perceive and react to those things.

But again I just got into comics recently so I don't know if this is contradicted.

I remember seeing a scan of Taskmaster catching a bullet during the UDON series (?) but IIRC that's was said to not be canon.

Anyway I'd like your input on this. Do any of these have context to them or are they just high end feats?

The UDON miniseries just makes a few revisions in regards to Taskmaster's origins, but it is still very much canon. And I am not sure where Nick gets the idea that he isn't a bullet timer when besides the bullet catching feat, he has blitzed another bullet catcher using double speed, deflected bullets after they were fired, jumped over bullets etc.

The part about Matt or Elektra not being bullet timers is incorrect as well.

werkudoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DSTREET45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brucerogers: Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure about UDON Taskmaster since I didn't know much about it but if it's canon I guess the feat stands.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a casual everything.

Seriously though - he's a casual aim dodger, not a casual bullet dodger.

Avatar image for deactivated-57cc010f9e749
    deactivated-57cc010f9e749

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

In all seriousness, that^ shouldn't have been possible. But then again.........he's Batman.

ha ha ha ha Bat force>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any force

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cor_tsar said:

No... Not casual... He can though.

Nightwing dodges bullet on a regular basis.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

BATGOD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nightwing

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brucerogers: Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure about UDON Taskmaster since I didn't know much about it but if it's canon I guess the feat stands.

No problem

Avatar image for deactivated-5a937e573d769
    deactivated-5a937e573d769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he's an aim dodger.

Cor_Tsar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TorikoWONTDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He literally has one bullet timing feat out of every comic book he's ever appeared in. Three if we count Gotham Knight and Under the Red Hood animations. No, he is not a bullet timer, let alone casual. Cassandra Cain is an example of a real bullet timer and all writers put her on a completely different level from Bruce.

Feat-nerds are the only ones who treat bullet timing like some casual thing. In reality most writers treat it as exclusive to superhumans like Spider-Man, because when you think about it, it's ridiculously over the top and if peak humans were actually doing it, it'd be immersion breaking (to everyone besides feat nerds.) Cassandra Cain is a VERY RARE example of the human who has been conditioned under SUCH inhuman circumstances that she has been able to transcend that boundary and just barely reach the superhuman level of speed required for bullet timing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cor_tsar said:

@superproherohunter: hm thats dodging not casually though

if dodging hundreds of bullet is not Casual Bullet-Timer then what is Casual Bullet-Timer?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

I would have said he's a very good aim dodger.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

He literally has one bullet timing feat out of every comic book he's ever appeared in. Three if we count Gotham Knight and Under the Red Hood animations. No, he is not a bullet timer, let alone casual. Cassandra Cain is an example of a real bullet timer and all writers put her on a completely different level from Bruce.

Feat-nerds are the only ones who treat bullet timing like some casual thing. In reality most writers treat it as exclusive to superhumans like Spider-Man, because when you think about it, it's ridiculously over the top and if peak humans were actually doing it, it'd be immersion breaking (to everyone besides feat nerds.) Cassandra Cain is a VERY RARE example of the human who has been conditioned under SUCH inhuman circumstances that she has been able to transcend that boundary and just barely reach the superhuman level of speed required for bullet timing.

Nightwing dodges bullet on a regular basis.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

BATGOD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nightwing

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superproherohunter: @brucerogers: @dstreet45: There's a very sharp double standard on bullet timing feats when it comes to different mediums. When I try and pass these off as bullet timing feats,

I get told they're just aim dodging. I get told that, even though the sequential order of events shows the guns being fired first, and then the character dodging second, technically since we don't see the character in frame at the same time, the two shots could be happening simultaneously. In order to be clear, no-debate, genuine author's-intent bullet timing, it needs to be framed like this.

No Caption Provided

We need to see,

1. The gun going off while the character is stationary
    2. The bullet on a clear path towards the character
    3. The character successfully moving out of the bullet's path

All those Nightwing and Elektra and Daredevil feats, do not fulfill these requirements. Therefore they are just aim dodging, there's no proof that any of them are reacting to a bullet itself. Unless you want to tell me that the above gifs prove CW Arrow and Leon Kennedy are bullet timers. In that case, I would meet you halfway and admit that Nightwing, Elektra and Daredevil are also bullet timers.

The Taskmaster bullet catch is something else entirely. I've read the book. It wasn't speed. It's a technique. Taskmaster was only able to do it because he copied the technique after seeing the bouncer do it. If he didn't see the bouncer do it first, he would not have been able to catch that bullet. Therefore it's probably more about anticipation and timing rather than raw perception.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superproherohunter: @brucerogers: @dstreet45: There's a very sharp double standard on bullet timing feats when it comes to different mediums. When I try and pass these off as bullet timing feats,

I get told they're just aim dodging. I get told that, even though the sequential order of events shows the guns being fired first, and then the character dodging second, technically since we don't see the character in frame at the same time, the two shots could be happening simultaneously. In order to be clear, no-debate, genuine author's-intent bullet timing, it needs to be framed like this.

No Caption Provided

We need to see,

All those Nightwing and Elektra and Daredevil feats, do not fulfill these requirements. Therefore they are just aim dodging, there's no proof that any of them are reacting to a bullet itself. Unless you want to tell me that the above gifs prove CW Arrow and Leon Kennedy are bullet timers. In that case, I would meet you halfway and admit that Nightwing, Elektra and Daredevil are also bullet timers.

The Taskmaster bullet catch is something else entirely. I've read the book. It wasn't speed. It's a technique. Taskmaster was only able to do it because he copied the technique after seeing the bouncer do it. If he didn't see the bouncer do it first, he would not have been able to catch that bullet. Therefore it's probably more about anticipation and timing rather than raw perception.

seriously that is down playing

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DSTREET45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By DSTREET45

@nickzambuto: I'm just going to ignore the first two gifs you posted for now.

The second Elektra scan has the bullet clearly on path in a separate panel from when the gun was fired, Elektra's hand being open in the next panel and Elektra's hand being closed in the last, showing that she caught it. So the panels going from Gun fired=> Bullet in route=> Open hand after we see bullet=> Catching the bullet isn't bullet timing by a similar if not the same standards that you just posted step by step?

And in any case I don't think that the three step process is the only way to determine bullet timing. If there's an explanation or at least some implication for why a character could bullet dodge. I didn't show the Daredevil scan to show him dodging bullets , hell it doesn't even show him dodging anything. I showed it since it explains how he could perceive the bullets. He outright stated that he could track the bullets and the air that they are pushing around with his senses and the picture clearly shows in first person "radar sense" view where the bullets are in mid-air.

As for Elektra blocking multiple bullets from a machine gun with her sai, I find it very hard to believe that's just aim-blocking. If she's only blocking based on the path how is she blocking everything after the first two that she's able to predict? Even if she's faster than the guy's aim she's not faster than the bullets if she's just an aim dodger.

Taskmaster admittedly looks like he could've just anticipated where the bullet was going.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By renamed040924

@dstreet45: Elektra isn't catching the bullet. She's blocking it, you can see it deflect off her hand and fly downwards. If you want to call this bullet timing, that's fine with me! As long as you also think the two gifs I posted are bullet timing.

There's two lines of logic when it comes to bullet timing. The people who think it needs to be made exceptionally clear like in that Captain America scan, and if the gun firing and character stationary aren't visible on the same panel, it doesn't count. The second type is the people who are more lenient and think that the sequential order of panels is all that matters. If panel #2 shows the gun being fired and panel #3 shows the character reacting, it counts.

I'm not on either side. I'm just asking for consistency. If that feat is Elektra bullet timing, than Leon Kennedy and CW Arrow are also bullet timers. If they aren't bullet timers, than you can't call Elektra a bullet timer either.

EDIT: That Daredevil feat you posted is definitely bullet timing though since Matt explicitly describes himself as dodging the bullet. It's his ONLY bullet timing feat though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superproherohunter: Uh, okay? Can I get a bit more detail?

lol why talk too much when you can solve this in seconds

i will use your formula

No Caption Provided

We need to see,

• The gun going off while the character is stationary
    • The bullet on a clear path towards the character
    • The character successfully moving out of the bullet's path

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FireKnight12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: Think of Batman as anime character, he probably learned faster than speeding bullet secret technique in asia, I won't be surprised if he learned kamehameha from master roshi.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nickzambuto: Deathstroke cut bullets from ARs mid-air with his sword.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Not a casual one as someone like Iron Fist, but he is indeed a bullet timer as he has countless of bullet timing feats.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@nickzambuto: Not a casual one as someone like Iron Fist, but he is indeed a bullet timer as he has countless of bullet timing feats.

Agreed. He's definitely a casual aim dodger at the very least.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DarthAznable

Yes. He's not quite as fast as Cass but he's still fast.

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A casual aim dodger, not bullet timer

The only media where i see Batman as a "casual" bullet timer is in the animated movies :

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: @captain_batman_ftw

There's a very sharp double standard on bullet timing feats when it comes to different mediums. When I try and pass these off as bullet timing feats,

I get told they're just aim dodging. I get told that, even though the sequential order of events shows the guns being fired first, and then the character dodging second, technically since we don't see the character in frame at the same time, the two shots could be happening simultaneously. Therefore, there's no proof that the character is actually dodging after the gun goes off. That's what I get told. In order to be clear, no-debate, genuine author's-intent bullet timing, it needs to be framed like this.

No Caption Provided

We need to see,

All those Nightwing and Elektra and Batman feats, do not fulfill these requirements. Therefore they are just aim dodging, there's no proof that any of them are reacting to a bullet itself. Unless you want to tell me that the above gifs prove CW Arrow and Leon Kennedy are bullet timers. In that case, I would meet you halfway and admit that Nightwing, Elektra and Batman are also bullet timers.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Lvenger

@nickzambuto: Ah it always has to be on your terms and not the reality of the situation eh Nick? It remains true that your favoured Arrow and Resident Evil gifs are mostly aim dodging whereas some of the Batman/Nightwing/Elektra feats are not. We see someone firing a gun off at Batman when stationary, the bullet travelling towards him and Batman avoiding the bullet's trajectory. This has happened several times that have been pointed out to you that you refuse to accept because somehow it doesn't fit your definition of bullet timing. Sadly not everything revolves around your expertise and the Nightwing, Elektra and Batman feats do demonstrate bullet timing sometimes, not casual but bullet timing nonetheless. The only double standards appear on your behalf it would seem.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@nickzambuto: Ah it always has to be on your terms and not the reality of the situation eh Nick? It remains true that your favoured Arrow and Resident Evil gifs are mostly aim dodging whereas some of the Batman/Nightwing/Elektra feats are not. We see someone firing a gun off at Batman when stationary, the bullet travelling towards him and Batman avoiding the bullet's trajectory. This has happened several times that have been pointed out to you that you refuse to accept because somehow it doesn't fit your definition of bullet timing. Sadly not everything revolves around your expertise and the Nightwing, Elektra and Batman feats do demonstrate bullet timing sometimes, not casual but bullet timing nonetheless. The only double standards appear on your behalf it would seem.

Can I see some of those feats?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Sure I can do Batman and Elektra's bullet timing feats.

Batman

Dodges the first 12 shots of KGBeast's firearm despite just having climbed a steel cable and hanging on in an unfavourable and unbalanced position for dodging bullets. The gun is already fired and it's not as if Batman can easily tell where the bullets are going as he could if on ground.

Avoids numerous gunmen firing right at him along with dodging more gunfire from various angles. Bullets are being fired clearly in the first panel on page one and you'd be hard pressed to deny the bullets aren't moving towards Batman.

No Caption Provided

Dodges machine gun fire whilst being shot at and attacks the gunmen.

Detects the sound of a bullet being fired and dodges it causing it to hit Mr Freeze.

Elektra

• Dodges a bullet fired point blank at her by her assassination target.
    • Dodges gunfire whilst being fired at already.
    • Cuts a bullet in half right before it hits her. I'd be interested to know how you construe this one as aim dodging because this feat required Elektra to wait until the bullet was about to hit her.
    • Avoids gunfire whilst poisoned and her mental capacity/sight is waning.

There's more for Batman but scan bombing is fruitless and I don't expect you to change your tune even with all this evidence. Many of Batman's feats are aim dodging, he can't always bullet time and writers have him get hit sometimes for the sake of the story etc but Batman and Elektra have shown bullet timing feats.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are still going to deny that Batman is a bullet timer when he has countless amount of bullet timing feats where it's clearly shown that shots are fired and ONLY THEN Batman dodges them? The fact that fights equally against people like Deathstroke, who was slicing bullets mid-air with his swords, just goes to support that everything Batman did is indeed legit. Hell, the fact that Batman's done stuff like vanish right out of the sight of humans and switch someone's cup in the blink of an eye (literally) just continues to support the FACT that Batman is a bullet timer. Talk about subjective view of evidence and deniability. The butthurt is strong with people sad cause Batman is more popular than their favorite. It's almost cute.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Another showing of Batman bullet timing. It's not casual, he has some trouble with it but he can do it occasionally.

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope,a casual aim dodger at best.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Hey man, I haven't disagreed with Arrow being a bullet timer. I've seen countless of examples provided for him where he'a dodged bullets after they've been shot. I have no idea why you tagged me

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Hey man, I haven't disagreed with Arrow being a bullet timer. I've seen countless of examples provided for him where he'a dodged bullets after they've been shot. I have no idea why you tagged me

Do you understand my point? There are two types of bullet timing feats - the one where we actually see the bullet in midair while the character is stationary, and the character directly reacting to it, and the ones where guns are fired in one panel and the character dodges in the next.

Arrow has plenty feats of the latter, but people tell me that isn't "real" bullet timing. They tell me that you need to see the shot and character on screen at the same time to confirm that it isn't aim dodging. If that's the case, than Batman doesn't have any bullet timing feats either.

BUT if that isn't the case and you believe the latter qualifies as bullet timing, than they're both bullet timers.

I'm not making any declarative statements on whether either one is a bullet timer or not, because I can see the logic in both sides, those who think the shot and character need to be in frame simultaneously, and those who don't think that's necessary. All I'm asking for is some consistency, people who call Batman a bullet timer will quickly denounce characters they aren't fans of like Arrow and Leon Kennedy as mere aim dodgers, despite those characters having the exact same feat.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: All of those examples show a double standard. Arrow has feats exactly like them and yet you would claim they aren't bullet timing, but Batman's apparently are.

Dodges the first 12 shots of KGBeast's firearm despite just having climbed a steel cable and hanging on in an unfavourable and unbalanced position for dodging bullets. The gun is already fired and it's not as if Batman can easily tell where the bullets are going as he could if on ground.

Nope, that's not bullet timing. Batman outright states the bullets are missing him. At best it's an excellent aim dodging feat, but there's no proof Batman is dodging the rounds after they are fired. If you believe that's bullet timing, than you must admit this is also bullet timing.

Avoids numerous gunmen firing right at him along with dodging more gunfire from various angles. Bullets are being fired clearly in the first panel on page one and you'd be hard pressed to deny the bullets aren't moving towards Batman.

Dodges machine gun fire whilst being shot at and attacks the gunmen.

If that's what you call bullet timing, than you must admit that this is also bullet timing.

Loading Video...

Detects the sound of a bullet being fired and dodges it causing it to hit Mr Freeze.

Yes, that's Batman's one bullet timing feat in his whole publication history. I concede on that one.

But not a single one of those Elektra scans is bullet timing. The first one very obviously isn't because the artist literally drew Elektra dodging in advance and the gun going off while aimed at the wall. In fact, that scan is an excellent example to explain exactly what aim dodging is. And none of the other three show Elektra dodging after the bullet is fired, just the gun going off in one panel and Elektra on the move in the next. If those are bullet timing in your mind, than you must also admit that this is bullet timing.

No Caption Provided

Peterrubiohard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Peterrubiohard

No...

Batman stay jumping and anticipating shots is not impressive.

Punisher can do this all the time.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Klark_Cent099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he just anticipates were they are going to shoot. Same with the rest of the batfamily

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are still going to deny that Batman is a bullet timer when he has countless amount of bullet timing feats where it's clearly shown that shots are fired and ONLY THEN Batman dodges them? The fact that fights equally against people like Deathstroke, who was slicing bullets mid-air with his swords, just goes to support that everything Batman did is indeed legit. Hell, the fact that Batman's done stuff like vanish right out of the sight of humans and switch someone's cup in the blink of an eye (literally) just continues to support the FACT that Batman is a bullet timer. Talk about subjective view of evidence and deniability. The butthurt is strong with people sad cause Batman is more popular than their favorite. It's almost cute.

Peterrubiohard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_batman_ftw said:

Please see what a bullet time.

Daredevil is bullet timer

No Caption Provided

Shang chi is bullet timer

No Caption Provided

Iron Fist is bullet timer

No Caption Provided

The fact that fights equally against people like Deathstroke, who was slicing bullets mid-air with his swords, just goes to support that everything Batman did is indeed legit.

Green arrow face the Deathstroke, but he is not bullet time.

Deadshot face the Deathstroke, but he is not bullet time.

Punisher face the Spider-man, but he is not bullet timer.

the fact that Batman's done stuff like vanish right out of the sight of humans and switch someone's cup in the blink of an eye (literally) just continues to support the FACT that Batman is a bullet timer.

This is not speed, it is a ninja trick.

Daredevil and Elektra can do this because they are ninjas.

Wolverine and Iron-Fist can do this because they are ninjas.

Captain America is a great fighter, but he can not do it because he does not have ninja training.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peterrubiohard:

http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111114841/5377155-2143381902-lotdk.jpg

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/batman/4005-1699/forums/is-batman-a-casual-bullet-timer-1810386/?messageId=17327683&page=1

http://static5.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11129/111293601/5350910-5118813986-42225.jpg

He's a bullet timer and there's plenty of other clear examples. Deal with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.